Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Eaton in RF

Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Eaton in RF

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed May 04, 2016 10:38 am

I've watched a hell of a lot of baseball in my lifetime, but has anyone ever seen a player have a better defensive month than what Eaton just did in RF for the first 30 days of the baseball season?  Roger might have better insights on this than I will, as I tend to just watch and comment without studying stats.  I love stats, mind you, but enjoy the visual part of the game more than the mathematical.  It seems to me that at least once per game, Eaton is making at least one fabulous or amazing play that wouldn't ordinarily have been made by generic Sox outfielder X (Dye, Garcia, and the long plethora of others who have wandered RF). 

Attended my first game of the season last night and did so excitedly.  It's been a good 4-5 yrs since I excitedly saw a Sox game in person.  It's a nice fucking change of pace, to say the least.

Re: Eaton in RF

Post by Guest on Wed May 04, 2016 11:38 am

TURNS OUT AUSTIN JACKSON WAS A GREAT MOVE

NOW YOU HAVE 2/3 OF A GOLD GLOVE OUTFIELD INSTEAD OF 3 AVERAGE AT BEST OUTFIELDERS

THE KARK STANDS CORRECTED ON AJ.  THE MOVE WAS PHENOMENAL

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed May 04, 2016 11:52 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:TURNS OUT AUSTIN JACKSON WAS A GREAT MOVE

NOW YOU HAVE 2/3 OF A GOLD GLOVE OUTFIELD INSTEAD OF 3 AVERAGE AT BEST OUTFIELDERS

If Jackson could only hit better than a wimpy version of Adam Dunn...

At least Jackson is not a one-dimensional player.  He can field and has good speed.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed May 04, 2016 11:59 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:

At least Jackson is not a one-dimensional player.  He can field and has good speed.

Yeah, not yet sold on the Jackson pickup.  I'll live with his excellent defense, but he seems a lost cause at the plate.  Automatic out machine.  I would have enjoyed the Sox taking Fowler when he was available, and then put up with his mediocre defense in order to get a little more offense.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed May 04, 2016 12:05 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Yeah, not yet sold on the Jackson pickup.  I'll live with his excellent defense, but he seems a lost cause at the plate.  Automatic out machine.  I would have enjoyed the Sox taking Fowler when he was available, and then put up with his mediocre defense in order to get a little more offense.

Overall, I'd take Jackson as a "plus" right now because of his superb defense.  Hopefully he'll start hitting closer to his career average, but his offense has been on the decline in recent years.  He's not really that old and should be more productive.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed May 04, 2016 12:10 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Overall, I'd take Jackson as a "plus" right now because of his superb defense.  Hopefully he'll start hitting closer to his career average, but his offense has been on the decline in recent years.  He's not really that old and should be more productive.

Right now, there are enough other guys producing to allow Jackson not to.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed May 04, 2016 12:33 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:I've watched a hell of a lot of baseball in my lifetime, but has anyone ever seen a player have a better defensive month than what Eaton just did in RF for the first 30 days of the baseball season?  Roger might have better insights on this than I will, as I tend to just watch and comment without studying stats.  I love stats, mind you, but enjoy the visual part of the game more than the mathematical.  It seems to me that at least once per game, Eaton is making at least one fabulous or amazing play that wouldn't ordinarily have been made by generic Sox outfielder X (Dye, Garcia, and the long plethora of others who have wandered RF). 

Attended my first game of the season last night and did so excitedly.  It's been a good 4-5 yrs since I excitedly saw a Sox game in person.  It's a nice fucking change of pace, to say the least.
    Eaton made a really good play on that flyball/liner last night that he caught over his head.  Actually the stats bear out what you're seeing so far.  May have posted this earlier, but Eaton is the # 1 defensive player in the entire majors at all positions in terms of runs saved (9 runs above average thus far).  It's kinda wierd too, because last year as a CFer Eaton was 9 runs below average.  CF of course has different demands.

Post by Guest on Wed May 04, 2016 1:38 pm

verall, I'd take Jackson as a "plus" right now because of his superb defense.  

Jackson seems to play hard and give all he has. I'm ok with any player that does that. 

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed May 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Chi-kid wrote:verall, I'd take Jackson as a "plus" right now because of his superb defense.  

Jackson seems to play hard and give all he has. I'm ok with any player that does that. 

That's true.  He's no loafer.  He wouldn't have survived those years under Jimmy Leyland in Detroit if he didn't hustle.

Post by Guest on Thu May 05, 2016 8:10 am

Chi-kid wrote:verall, I'd take Jackson as a "plus" right now because of his superb defense.  

plus you should never under estimate defense

its far more important than the stat guys give credit.

for one thing, these stat guys live in a linear world while the game is played in a multi dimensional space

you don't just add AJ to the outfield equation.  the combo of AJ and Eaton expands the defense at an exponential level

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:55 am