Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Fanboy thread

Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Fanboy thread

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:01 pm

Believe!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Fanboy thread

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Fifth shutout of this very short season.  I keep waiting for the pitching to hit a bump in the road, but they instead keep improving.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:Fifth shutout of this very short season.  I keep waiting for the pitching to hit a bump in the road, but they instead keep improving.

Your wait may be over tomorrow with Danks starting.

It's April.  There's a lot of time for the Sox to turn back into a pumpkin.

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:23 pm

There's a lot of time for the Sox to turn back into a pumpkin.

That is always a possibility. However, for some reason, this team seems to be playing with a lot of enthusiasm and energy. When melky Cabrera beats out a double play ground ball to short, that's unprecedented for a Ventura team....at least up to this point. For a team that is supposed to be "pissed off" b/c of the LaRoache-gate, they are playing like they love everything White Sox ...
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:29 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:Fifth shutout of this very short season.  I keep waiting for the pitching to hit a bump in the road, but they instead keep improving.

Your wait may be over tomorrow with Danks starting.

It's April.  There's a lot of time for the Sox to turn back into a pumpkin.

True, but Danks is even overdue for one of his dominant starts, which he has every few times out.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:08 am

Even my "waiting for the shoe to drop" attitude is lessening...for the moment.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:45 am

alohafri wrote:Even my "waiting for the shoe to drop" attitude is lessening...for the moment.

I thought the shoe dropped last week when they lost a few in the row.  Now that they're 10 games over after 3 weeks, they can afford a loss or two.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:06 am

Playing in Baltimore has never been a kind place for the White Sox. Even when both teams sucked they usually got their ass handed to them. Then again we saw how it all played out in Oakland at the beginning of the season so maybe this year is different. As for Johnny Danks!!!, I think he's on a pretty short leash for at least the time being. There's even some talk he might pitch his way into the bullpen as a long reliever. If they dump the fucker that'll be fine by me.

Speaking of which, I shed a nostalgic tear watching Gavin "Big Pussy" Floyd pitching relief for the Jays. What a stellar career he had with the White Sox organization!

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:28 am

There's even some talk he might pitch his way into the bullpen as a long reliever.  (re Danks)

this is exactly what he should be, and what this board has advocated for years. I even proposed he be a situational left handed reliever - one or two batters at the most - does that equate to his salary level? NO, to his skill level? YES

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:52 am

IT PLEASES THE KARK TO SEE THAT CHI-KID UNDERSTANDS THE CONCEPT OF SUNK COSTS.

NOT DIRECTLY THIS AT ANYBODY, BUT IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING TO HEAR SOX FANS SAY STUFF LIKE

DANK AINT GETTING $15MIL TO RELIEVE.

WELL HE AIN'T GETTING $15MIL TO SUCK EITHER.

PUTTING HIM IN THE PEN IS A WAY TO SALVAGE SOME VALUE OUT OF HIM.

BTW, DANKS ISN'T GETTING PAID $15MIL TO HELP DAVE LAROUCHE BABY SIT HIS KIDS
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Bring back Gordon for his late inning defensive wizardry.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:22 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

True, but Danks is even overdue for one of his dominant starts, which he has every few times out.

Actually Danks got his good start the last time after his first two clinkers, so it's hard to tell what to expect next.  His pattern from last year is to have two bad starts, then a good one or two.  Then after two good starts in a row, you can almost take it to the bank that the next one will be a disaster or semi-disaster.

His ERA last year was 4.71 which pencils out to 5.67 innings/ 3 earned runs.  Which is livable for a 5th SP but rarely did he deliver that kind of start.  It was either 4-5 IP, 5-6 ER allowed or 6-7 IP, 2 ER allowed and he mixed in a couple 8-9 IP, 0-1 ER.  This Jekyll/Hyde stuff is what makes him so frustrating.

Right now, Danks' ERA is a nifty 6.23.  So much for the theory that Navarro's revelation about him "tipping pitches" might be the cure to what ails him.   Sure the Sox would love to find an alternative for him particularly a RHer so that would no longer mean 4 LHers in the rotation.  Johnson and Turner flunked their trials in spring training and Gonzalez didn't look like any answer either.  Carson Palmer is struggling in AA so far, so very doubtful he'll be an answer this year.  Jacob Turner, however, has bounced back from his bad ST and  is pitching well in AAA right now.  If there is to be another trial balloon for replacing Danks, he's probably in the lead spot for that right now. 
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:29 pm

Shooters Buffet wrote:Bring back Gordon for his late inning defensive wizardry.

Gordo is on the shelf right now with a bad hammie.  His defensive numbers are below average so far this year, mostly at 2b.  Although he was hitting an uncharacteristic .280 and actually starting games for the hapless Braves.  Maybe playing in his home state might help him turn that proverbial corner. 
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:44 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Playing in Baltimore has never been a kind place for the White Sox. Even when both teams sucked they usually got their ass handed to them. Then again we saw how it all played out in Oakland at the beginning of the season so maybe this year is different. As for Johnny Danks!!!, I think he's on a pretty short leash for at least the time being. There's even some talk he might pitch his way into the bullpen as a long reliever. If they dump the fucker that'll be fine by me.

Speaking of which, I shed a nostalgic tear watching Gavin "Big Pussy" Floyd pitching relief for the Jays. What a stellar career he had with the White Sox organization!
    Nostalgic tears?  Tears of joy, maybe?
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:34 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:IT PLEASES THE KARK TO SEE THAT CHI-KID UNDERSTANDS THE CONCEPT OF SUNK COSTS.

NOT DIRECTLY THIS AT ANYBODY, BUT IT IS VERY FRUSTRATING TO HEAR SOX FANS SAY STUFF LIKE

DANK AINT GETTING $15MIL TO RELIEVE.

WELL HE AIN'T GETTING $15MIL TO SUCK EITHER.

PUTTING HIM IN THE PEN IS A WAY TO SALVAGE SOME VALUE OUT OF HIM.

BTW, DANKS ISN'T GETTING PAID $15MIL TO HELP DAVE LAROUCHE BABY SIT HIS KIDS

There have been umpteen posts in this folder over the past couple years about why the Sox haven't just cut loose expensive busts like Dunn and Danks and just eaten their salaries.        Is it Sox reluctance to absorb sunk cost and move on or is it that they had no else better plug in ? With Danks' start tonight, it's getting to the point where LOTS of guys could be better.  Even the slow-to-react Sox have to see that a guy who starts the year having 3 of his 4 starts be disastrous is hurting the team and something needs to be done ASAP.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:17 pm