Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

13th pitcher on the way

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

13th pitcher on the way

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:41 pm

J.B. Shuck optioned to AAA Charlotte.  Additional bullpen help to be announced.

That's what happens when you blow thru the bullpen because a starting pitcher gets knocked out in the first inning and you don't have a scheduled off day for the next 2 weeks.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: 13th pitcher on the way

Post by alohafri on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:00 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:J.B. Shuck optioned to AAA Charlotte.  Additional bullpen help to be announced.

That's what happens when you blow thru the bullpen because a starting pitcher gets knocked out in the first inning and you don't have a scheduled off day for the next 2 weeks.

Not to mention that the next day off is May 2.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:38 am

alohafri wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:J.B. Shuck optioned to AAA Charlotte.  Additional bullpen help to be announced.

Uh, he mentioned that!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:51 am

frank bonifacic wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Uh, he mentioned that!

This post brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:46 am

Excuse me, but does Carlos Rodon need 5 days rest to recover from 1/3 of an inning start where he threw just 41 pitches?!?!?!?

Throw his freakin' ass in the pen for a couple days!!!!!

Let Robertson get an old fashion 3 inning save!!!!!!

Go a week without going lefty righty lefty righty every damn 8th inning of a close game.

Or maybe let Latos throw more than a 100 pitches today and pray he continues to give up less than 3 runs a game.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:35 pm

RHP Erik Johnson gets the call.  I thought that they would be calling up a reliever, not a starting pitcher, since they claim to need bullpen help.  Perhaps Danks will find his way into the back end of the bullpen as a mopper-upper while Johnson starts.  We can only hope.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:34 pm

From your mouth to God's ears.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:37 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:RHP Erik Johnson gets the call.  I thought that they would be calling up a reliever, not a starting pitcher, since they claim to need bullpen help.  Perhaps Danks will find his way into the back end of the bullpen as a mopper-upper while Johnson starts.  We can only hope.

I remember liking what I saw of Johnson last season.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:38 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:RHP Erik Johnson gets the call.  I thought that they would be calling up a reliever, not a starting pitcher, since they claim to need bullpen help.  Perhaps Danks will find his way into the back end of the bullpen as a mopper-upper while Johnson starts.  We can only hope.

He can keep the mopping up in the clubhouse.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:51 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:

Rob, I'm not sure exactly was to like about Johnson last season other than his incredibly lucky 3.34 ERA..  Given that he gave up 8 HR's and walked 17 batters in 35 innings, his real ERA should have been 5.50 or 6.00.  He was bailed out by the bullpen, plain and simple.   The guy was tattooed in spring training, when he had a chance to earn himself a starting job. He hasn't shown an ability to handle hitters above AAA level in any of the trials he's been given so far, and all he should be given is a shot to do something in the bullpen until he shows that he can a) throw strikes more consistently b) keep the ball down in the zone and get more groundballs and c) perfect his secondary pitches.  I think time is running out on this guy and his future looks like that of a reliever.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:10 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:

Rob, I'm not sure exactly was to like about Johnson last season other than his incredibly lucky 3.34 ERA..  Given that he gave up 8 HR's and walked 17 batters in 35 innings, his real ERA should have been 5.50 or 6.00.  He was bailed out by the bullpen, plain and simple.   The guy was tattooed in spring training, when he had a chance to earn himself a starting job. He hasn't shown an ability to handle hitters above AAA level in any of the trials he's been given so far, and all he should be given is a shot to do something in the bullpen until he shows that he can a) throw strikes more consistently b) keep the ball down in the zone and get more groundballs and c) perfect his secondary pitches.  I think time is running out on this guy and his future looks like that of a reliever.

I'm basing nothing on his numbers. I have never looked at them. I just know that when I watched him a few times, he looked very effective. He was throwing strikes and getting outs. If the numbers bely my feelings, that's ok with me. I may have missed the bad Eric Johnson appearances. I do, however, remember thinking his fastball looked like the kind that gets hit out. Often up in the zone.

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:18 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:

I GUESS THIS MEANS ERIK JOHNSON WILL HAVE A CY YOUNG CALIBER SEASON WITHIN THE NEXT 3 YEARS
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:56 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:

I'm basing nothing on his numbers.  I have never looked at them.  I just know that when I watched him a few times, he looked very effective.  He was throwing strikes and getting outs.  If the numbers bely my feelings, that's ok with me.  I may have missed the bad Eric Johnson appearances.  I do, however, remember thinking his fastball looked like the kind that gets hit out.  Often up in the zone.  

He dodged a lot of trouble last year with too many BB's and HR's. Fortunately all HR's allowed were solo shots, and very few of the guys he walked ended up scoring.  But he wasn't really pitching out of those jams so much by timely K's or inducing groundball double plays.  I noticed a lot of these jams were ended by "lineouts", "deep flyball outs", etc.   In short, this guy plays with fire and inevitably he gets burned, like he did in 2014 and this spring training.  He just happened to be luckier in 2015. 
    Look at his arsenal.  League average fastball, and he doesn't spot it particularly well.   Plus none of his offspeed pitches are good putaway pitches v. major league hitters.  He might be OK if he ever got better command, but so far he hasn't. He's walking a tightrope every time he goes out there and he knows it.  He challenges hitters too much and he gets taken yard. He nibbles too much and he gives up walks.  Guys who allow 1.5 guys per inning to get on base, as he has so far in his major league career, aren't good bets.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:56 am