Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Hows come nobody...

Hows come nobody...

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:05 am

....is excited about Matt Latos?  Second excellent outing in a row, and back to his Cy Young looking form when he was with the Padres.  Where's the stat guy telling me the odds it won't continue? Bring me back to reality Roger...bring me back to reality... Can the Sox really have a BIG FOUR?  Who loses with a big 4??  santa

PS - please keep in mind who first posted here that this would be Rodon's breakout year... not saying ...but I'm saying ... bounce
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: Hows come nobody...

Post by alohafri on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:06 am

Chi-kid wrote:....is excited about Matt Latos?  Second excellent outing in a row, and back to his Cy Young looking form when he was with the Padres.  Where's the stat guy telling me the odds it won't continue? Bring me back to reality Roger...bring me back to reality... Can the Sox really have a BIG FOUR?  Who loses with a big 4??  santa

PS - please keep in mind who first posted here that this would be Rodon's breakout year... not saying ...but I'm saying ... bounce

I can't get too excited yet, but both do look very promising.  sunny
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:13 am

The thought has crossed my mind that maybe Latos will be our next Loaiza, but he's only made it through about 6 innings in each of his starts. He's been great. From my view on my couch, he looks pretty hittable. Clearly, the hitters disagree with me. His 12-6 curve is damn good when it's near the strike zone. If he can end up with an ERA of under 4 and average 6 innings a start, I'll be thrilled...although they'll need to hit a bit more for that kind of ERA to work out well for this team.

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:15 am

From my view on my couch

Everyone looks hittable to me from the couch. I'm hitting .386 and leading the league in OPS in the Barca lounge league
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:23 am

Soxillinirob wrote:The thought has crossed my mind that maybe Latos will be our next Loaiza, but he's only made it through about 6 innings in each of his starts.  He's been great.  From my view on my couch, he looks pretty hittable.  Clearly, the hitters disagree with me.  His 12-6 curve is damn good when it's near the strike zone.  If he can end up with an ERA of under 4 and average 6 innings a start, I'll be thrilled...although they'll need to hit a bit more for that kind of ERA to work out well for this team.

Remember that he got limited work in spring training. It might explain his thus far limited work in his first two starts.

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:41 am

Chi-kid wrote:....is excited about Matt Latos?  Second excellent outing in a row, and back to his Cy Young looking form when he was with the Padres.  Where's the stat guy telling me the odds it won't continue? Bring me back to reality Roger...bring me back to reality... Can the Sox really have a BIG FOUR?  Who loses with a big 4??  santa

THE KARK IS EXCITED

HECK, ONE MORE WIN AND HE HAS EARNED HIS 2016 SALARY

BTW, THIS FORMER STAT GUY LIKES YOUR BIG 4.

HOPEFULLY THEY CAN MATCH A BIG 4 FROM 11 YEARS AGO

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:

THE KARK IS EXCITED

The fine pitching has been carrying the team so far, along with some timely homers.  However, I haven't seen that much of a sustained effort from what is supposed to be a much improved offense.  The new guys - Fraser, Lawrie, Jackson, Rollins, and the 2 catchers - haven't really been clicking all that well yet.  However, the season is only 9 games old, and a 7-2 record is certain something that not even the board's biggest naysayers can bitch too much about.

BTW, where's Bobby?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:26 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:

BTW, where's Bobby?

Florida.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:43 pm

alohafri wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

BTW, where's Bobby?

Florida.

John told me that over a month ago.  I figured that Bobby would be back by now.

Besides having hanging chads and butterfly ballots, Florida does have the Internet.

Anyway, Bobby will probably show up at the first sign of a losing streak... Rolling Eyes
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:03 pm

alohafri wrote:

I can't get too excited yet, but both do look very promising.  sunny

Latos has been lucky to draw his first two starts against two of the worst offenses in the AL so far.  So quite honestly, it's premature to get excited.  But at least he has some confidence back.  That is one good sign. Another good sign is he's walking less than 2 guys per 9..  But I see two bad signs - one is that his velocity is down to 89 mph, the other is he is only striking out 4.5 per 9.   Latos is compensating for this by using his changeup and splitter more often than he ever has in his career.  

In short, he is trying to go from a power pitcher to a finesse guy.  He will need to be ahead on counts to use that splitter and slider effectively, which he has been so far.   Advance scouts will probably tell their hitters to start jumping on his mediocre fastball earlier and Latos will then have to adjust to that strategy.  Long ways to go.
    As to Rodon, he is a stud.   He throws that heavy fastball and his slider is nasty - unhittable.   His command is the only question mark, and he' still walking too many guys.  Think he will have his share of dominant outings but will have some rough ones mixed in there as well.    Sox would be in good shape if his ERA comes in around the mid-high 3.00's though.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:53 pm

Sox were supposed to be a good pitching team and the newcomers were supposed to lift the offense from terrible to closer to average.  So far Sox pitching has been # 1 in run prevention.  Of course facing two of league's three worst offenses (Oakland, Minnesota) has helped that.   Sox are # 9 in Runs Scored, and to your point the newcomers (who've hit a collective .195 so far) haven't provided the big boost.  The big turnaround offensively has come from Eaton (.444 OBP from the leadoff spot) and Melky (.323 BA) so far, as those two were ice cold to start last year. Abreu is doing his thing as always and Garcia has shown some power.  That said, the newcomers have had some timely hits - Frazier and Rollins' HR's pretty much single-handedly won one of the Oakland games,  in one win against Minnesota all the Sox runs were driven in by Frazier, Jackson and Lawrie and in the last win v. Twinkies, Sands' HR was a key blow.    
    Bottom line is that the Sox beat the weaker teams they should beat (Oakland, Minnesota) and are facing another light-hitting squad this weekend in Tampa.  So they should fare pretty well.   Real test of the quality of this team will come in the next 19 games after this weekend when the Sox square up against the Angels, Rangers, Blue Jays, Orioles and Red Sox,.

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:36 pm

So quite honestly, it's premature to get excited

Lot of us here are premature exciters...

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:32 am

BLAH BLAH BLAH

The White Sox have always been their worst enemy

The real test will be the 4/30 standings

BELIEVE
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:35 pm

Chi-kid wrote:So quite honestly, it's premature to get excited

Premature for who? I was ready to excite.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:34 pm

Aren't there drugs for that ?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:55 am

rmapasad wrote:

Aren't there drugs for that ?

There's also Johnny Danks.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:34 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Mark the CPA wrote:

THE KARK IS EXCITED

The fine pitching has been carrying the team so far, along with some timely homers.  However, I haven't seen that much of a sustained effort from what is supposed to be a much improved offense.  The new guys - Fraser, Lawrie, Jackson, Rollins, and the 2 catchers - haven't really been clicking all that well yet.  However, the season is only 9 games old, and a 7-2 record is certain something that not even the board's biggest naysayers can bitch too much about.

BTW, where's Bobby?

I have been spanking the monkey!!!
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:44 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

BTW, where's Bobby?

Florida.

John told me that over a month ago.  I figured that Bobby would be back by now.

Besides having hanging chads and butterfly ballots, Florida does have the Internet.

Anyway, Bobby will probably show up at the first sign of a losing streak... Rolling Eyes
    Present and accounted for!!!

BELIEVE!!!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:04 pm

Welcome back, Bobby. Very Happy 

(I knew it would take only about 3 losses in a row.)
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:59 pm

I was at the Sunday game in St. Petersburg.

All of the runs the battling Sox scored in the three game series were scored in 4 innings.

Further proof, as if any was needed, that Spring Training is one fucking joke as far as projecting what happens when real games start.

The Marlins Park is great.  Clubs all over the place.  Not the INTENSE Chicago type Fanboy down there.  They are enjoying a game and the party scene. Unlike the Factory style ballpark in Milwaukee, when the Marlins open the roof and the windows in the outfield, the view is of Downtown Miami, not a parking lot!!!!!

The Dome Reinsdorf was going to in St. Pete is serviceable.  Of course, half the upper deck is tarped over.  Kind of like THE CELL, where half of the Upper Deck was chopped off!!!!  The only ballpark I would consider worse is Oakland.

The Rays problem is location.  The Stadium should be in Tampa near Interstate 75.  Getting to St. Petersburg from Orlando adds an extra hour to the drive.  Rays have great TV and Radio ratings, unlike the Sox.  
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:59 pm

Shooters Buffet wrote:Rays have great TV and Radio ratings, unlike the Sox.  
    They have Dave Wills, the last good postgame guy the Sox had.

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:06 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Shooters Buffet wrote:Rays have great TV and Radio ratings, unlike the Sox.  
    They have Dave Wills, the last good postgame guy the Sox had.

THE MAN THAT GAVE HEATHER JELLO LEGS
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:04 am

The best Spring Training Game I went to lasted ONE PITCH.  A MONSOON hit Port Charlotte.

Dave Wills, his wife, a group of friends and I went to the local HOOTERS for a FANBOY MEETING featuring pitchers of ice cold beer and wings!!!!!

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:29 am

CRYING SHAME THERE ISN'T A HOOTERS ON THE NORTHWEST SIDE OF CHICAGO.

SAY BETWEEN THAT CHINESE BUFFET IN DESPLAINES AND PATERNO'S

IF ONLY THEY WOULD BUILD ONE AROUND CUMBERLAND AND HIGGINS SO PEOPLE COULD ACCESS IT BY USING THE "L"

OOOOOPPPPPSSSSS

WAIT A MINUTE
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:14 pm

Having a Fanboy Meeting at a FUN PLACE like Hooters would not be acceptable to the SERIOUS FANBOYS who wonder if Adam LaRoche was busy giving fielding tips to Abreu!!!

FANBOYING IS SERIOUS!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:41 pm