Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

James Loney?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

James Loney?

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:07 pm

31-year-old 1B James Loney has just been cut by the Rays who will eat his $8 million salary.  Loney, a fine defensive first baseman without much power, can also play right field in a pinch but hasn't in several years.  He's a lifetime .285 hitter (.280 last season).  He's played regularly for most of his career with the Dodgers and Rays with a short stint in Boston in between.  He would be an upgrade over Jerry Sands.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Re: James Loney?

Post by sox55 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:17 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:31-year-old 1B James Loney has just been cut by the Rays who will eat his $8 million salary.  Loney, a fine defensive first baseman without much power, can also play right field in a pinch but hasn't in several years.  He's a lifetime .285 hitter (.280 last season).  He's played regularly for most of his career with the Dodgers and Rays with a short stint in Boston in between.  He would be an upgrade over Jerry Sands.

If the Sox wanted a LH hitter they would have kept Ishigawa and let Sands go.

Of course, Sands was out of options too.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:09 pm

sox55 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:31-year-old 1B James Loney has just been cut by the Rays who will eat his $8 million salary.  Loney, a fine defensive first baseman without much power, can also play right field in a pinch but hasn't in several years.  He's a lifetime .285 hitter (.280 last season).  He's played regularly for most of his career with the Dodgers and Rays with a short stint in Boston in between.  He would be an upgrade over Jerry Sands.

If the Sox wanted a LH hitter they would have kept Ishigawa and let Sands go.

Of course, Sands was out of options too.

IMO, John, the fact that Sands is out of options is why the Sox kept him over Ishigawa.  Ishigawa out-played Sands in ST, is strong defensively at 1B while capable of playing the outfield corners, and makes more sense as a left-handed bat given the Sox predominantly RH lineup.

Ishigawa was easier to cut since he was signed to a minor league contract.  On the other hand, Sands would have to be passed thru waivers with the risk of losing him either to a claim or possible free agency.  The Indians would likely love to get Sands back due to their current injury-plagued outfield situation.

As I look at it, the Sox should go after the better player.  James Loney is better than Jerry Sands.  Loney has more experience, is a better hitter average-wise, is a good defensive first baseman to occasionally spell Abreu, and bats left-handed.  Loney is 31 years old and has played regularly throughout his career while Sands has always been a fringe player never quite winning a starting job.  Sands does have some power, but at the cost of a lower batting average.  Loney isn't a great player but is an upgrade over Sands, and his presence would help strengthen the Sox bench.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:31 pm

Pass.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:49 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Pass.

Look at it this way, Kevin.  If the Sox get Loney, they'll almost assuredly pass on Swisher. Cool

Anyway, it's probably not worth all the typing I'm doing on this.  After all, we're talking about the 25th guy on the team. Rolling Eyes

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:25 pm

Something must be up with Loney for a frugal franchise like the Rays are going to eat a contract. Either he really sucked, is actually hurt, or has 8 millions clubhouse issues. If he is the Loney of the Dodgers, the sox would be idiotic to not sign him for the league minimum.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:39 pm

I'm thinking the same thing Tim. Maybe he was hanging out school yards with his fly pulled down? Something's up with him. Why get rid of him and eat salary if he still has a certain upside? I'm betting more here than meets the eye.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Something must be up with Loney for a frugal franchise like the Rays are going to eat a contract. Either he really sucked, is actually hurt, or has 8 millions clubhouse issues. If he is the Loney of the Dodgers, the sox would be idiotic to not sign him for the league minimum.

From what I can gather, the Rays want more power from the 1B position.  This season, they are going with a platoon there of Logan Morrison and Steve Pearce, which should give them a boadload of dingers while likely sacrificing batting average and defense.  Morrison already made an error in the Rays' first game today.  Over the years, James Loney has been criticized for his lack of power (career high for a season: 15 HRs) while playing a position which is supposed to produce a lot of homers.  The fact that he has been a regular at 1B for several years for both the Dodgers and Rays speak to the other attributes that he brings to the game, namely defense, batting average, and decent OBP.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:56 pm

The fact that he has been a regular at 1B for several years for both the Dodgers and Rays speak to the other attributes that he brings to the game, namely defense, batting average, and decent OBP.

Thus I reiterate the suspicions expressed in my earlier post. 

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I'm thinking the same thing Tim. Maybe he was hanging out school yards with his fly pulled down? Something's up with him. Why get rid of him and eat salary if he still has a certain upside? I'm betting more here than meets the eye.

Well, his name is Loney, not Loony clown -- but perhaps he is headed downhill.

It would be interesting to see Roger's take on Loney v. Sands as they both are former Dodgers.  As I said earlier, Loney isn't a great player.  However, I believe he's a definite upgrade over Sands to strengthen the bench.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:21 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:Something must be up with Loney for a frugal franchise like the Rays are going to eat a contract. Either he really sucked, is actually hurt, or has 8 millions clubhouse issues. If he is the Loney of the Dodgers, the sox would be idiotic to not sign him for the league minimum.

From what I can gather, the Rays want more power from the 1B position.  This season, they are going with a platoon there of Logan Morrison and Steve Pearce, which should give them a boadload of dingers while likely sacrificing batting average and defense.  Morrison already made an error in the Rays' first game today.  Over the years, James Loney has been criticized for his lack of power (career high for a season: 15 HRs) while playing a position which is supposed to produce a lot of homers.  The fact that he has been a regular at 1B for several years for both the Dodgers and Rays speak to the other attributes that he brings to the game, namely defense, batting average, and decent OBP.
    Holy Chit!  If he lost out to Logan Friggin Morrison I don't want any part of him.  Seattle fans not only paid for his bus ticket out of town, they filled the bus up with gas.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:47 pm

they filled the bus up with gas.

Nice to see you're finding gainful employment out there. 
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:58 pm

Cream1953 wrote:they filled the bus up with gas.

Nice to see you're finding gainful employment out there. 

They crossed the line when they asked me to wash the windows.  But to get that bum out of Seattle, it was worth it.

Little known fact to those not from the Pac NW.  State of Oregon has no self serve gas stations.  Illegal.  Weird.  Any other states do that?
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:49 am

jaywit wrote:
    Little known fact to those not from the Pac NW.  State of Oregon has no self serve gas stations.  Illegal.  Weird.  Any other states do that?

Now THAT is a cool and interesting fact. I vaguely recall being on a long driving vaca a few years ago and running into this in some other state. Can't remember where.

Does that mean they pay more for gas than we do? I remember when self serve began, and it was usually significantly lower than full serve, and that pretty much meant the end of self serve in short order. That must mean Oregon gas is 20 cents more expensive or so?
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:58 am

Once you get away from the logging industry what else is there to do? Doctors are pumping gas for Christ's sake!

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:07 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Pass.

Look at it this way, Kevin.  If the Sox get Loney, they'll almost assuredly pass on Swisher. Cool

Anyway, it's probably not worth all the typing I'm doing on this.  After all, we're talking about the 25th guy on the team. Rolling Eyes

DID SOMEONE JUST MENTION THE KARK'S AREA OF EXPERTISE?!?!?!?!?

GOOD OLE #25!!!!!!!

IF THE WHITE SOX GO LOONEY, THE PRIME CUT IS OBVIOUS

ZACH PUTNAM.

BTW, HOW OLD IS LOONEY'S SON AND HOW MUCH LOCKER ROOM TIME WOULD HE REQUIRE?!?!?
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:09 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    BTW, HOW OLD IS LOONEY'S SON AND HOW MUCH LOCKER ROOM TIME WOULD HE REQUIRE?!?!?

Speaking of....I can't believe LaRoche didn't change his mind and try to come back. I realize this was an embarrassing thing for the Sox, but opening up that salary spot sure as hell gives the Sox more room to trade or pick up a higher dollar player if the situation calls for it. Surprised there isn't more celebrating about this.

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:44 am

Soxillinirob wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:

Speaking of....I can't believe LaRoche didn't change his mind and try to come back.  I realize this was an embarrassing thing for the Sox, but opening up that salary spot sure as hell gives the Sox more room to trade or pick up a higher dollar player if the situation calls for it.  Surprised there isn't more celebrating about this.  

The only thing that would make this crazy story make sense is if LaRouche knows a divorce is around the corner and he's pulling a Ryne
    Sandberg to reduce his income just to spite the bitch.  Then he'll try to used this to prove he loves the kid more and therefore s/b given custody.

But what was really bizarre is how a couple of the board Kenny haters tried to make it sound like he screwed something up or grossly violated LaRouche's contract.  THE KARK  could estoppel laughing that the absolutely retarded legal arguments of the Kenny Haters

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:10 pm

But what was really bizarre is how a couple of the board Kenny haters tried to make it sound like he screwed something up or grossly violated LaRouche's contract.  THE KARK  could estoppel laughing that the absolutely retarded legal arguments of the Kenny Haters

Who was that? I thought everyone here said spank the Lil' shit and get him back in school. Did someone actually back LaRouche and thought it was a good idea to let the kid have free reign 24/7?
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:32 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:I'm thinking the same thing Tim. Maybe he was hanging out school yards with his fly pulled down? Something's up with him. Why get rid of him and eat salary if he still has a certain upside? I'm betting more here than meets the eye.

It would be interesting to see Roger's take on Loney v. Sands as they both are former Dodgers.  As I said earlier, Loney isn't a great player.  However, I believe he's a definite upgrade over Sands to strengthen the bench.

Loney was once regarded as a top prospect but his power never materialized and Dodgers non-tendered him.  Dodgers were never that high on Sands. Loney now is 32, hasn't hit over 13 HR's in any full season, and whatever little power he had is in decline.  He SUCKS as a 1bman defensively and offensively even if he can hit .280.  Which is why Tampa cut him.  Sands is 4 years younger, has more power but doesn't make good contact.  He can run a bit, and play the OF.  Since the Sox need a 4th OFer, and Loney can't play OF, the choice is easy and obvious if it comes down to Loney v. Sands - Sands is clearly the choice.  If it comes down to Loney v. a 12th pitcher though, I'd choose Loney just to have the extra bat. 

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:56 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Loney was once regarded as a top prospect but his power never materialized and Dodgers non-tendered him.  Dodgers were never that high on Sands. Loney now is 32, hasn't hit over 13 HR's in any full season, and whatever little power he had is in decline.  He SUCKS as a 1bman defensively and offensively even if he can hit .280.  Which is why Tampa cut him.  Sands is 4 years younger, has more power but doesn't make good contact.  He can run a bit, and play the OF.  Since the Sox need a 4th OFer, and Loney can't play OF, the choice is easy and obvious if it comes down to Loney v. Sands - Sands is clearly the choice.  If it comes down to Loney v. a 12th pitcher though, I'd choose Loney just to have the extra bat. 

Thanks, Roger.  I figure that you know about Loney and Sands from following them as a Dodger fan.  My understanding was that Loney's defense is what mainly kept him as a regular despite his lack of power at 1B.  Anyway, I'll take your word for it since you're far more familar with these two ex-Dodgers.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:18 pm

Chi-kid wrote:But what was really bizarre is how a couple of the board Kenny haters tried to make it sound like he screwed something up or grossly violated LaRouche's contract.  THE KARK  could estoppel laughing that the absolutely retarded legal arguments of the Kenny Haters

Who was that? I thought everyone here said spank the Lil' shit and get him back in school. Did someone actually back LaRouche and thought it was a good idea to let the kid have free reign 24/7?

Nobody thought it was a good idea to have a kid into the clubhouse. Only question is whether the Sox were contractually obligated to do it.  If the provision about LaRoche's kid wasn't in his written contract with the Sox, then he and Player's Union would have an uphill battle in any grievance.   LaRoche's only argument would be that Sox allowing the kid is to go on for over a year was "proof" an agreement existed and the Sox reneged on it.  Sox's comeback would be that since it wasn't in the written agreement they allowed it as strictly as a favor to LaRoche, a favor they could revoke at any time.  
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:25 pm

ell, his name is Loney, not Loony clown -- but perhaps he is headed downhill.

Thanks, Roger.  I figure that you know about Loney and Sands from following them as a Dodger fan.  My understanding was that Loney's defense is what mainly kept him as a regular despite his lack of power at 1B.  Anyway, I'll take your word for it since you're far more familar with these two ex-Dodgers.

Loney had a good rep for his defense when he first came up.  Graceful looking and all, and he could make the toss play to the pitcher covering 1b real well.   Wasn't that good at digging IFers throw though, IIRC.   As he lost a step or two in covering 1b/2b hole, his defensive rep started to decline and his defensive numbers have been very subpar with Tampa these last couple years. 
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:53 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

Now THAT is a cool and interesting fact.  I vaguely recall being on a long driving vaca a few years ago and running into this in some other state.  Can't remember where.  

Does that mean they pay more for gas than we do?  I remember when self serve began, and it was usually significantly lower than full serve, and that pretty much meant the end of self serve in short order.  That must mean Oregon gas is 20 cents more expensive or so?

It's been several years since I've been down there but I don't recall the gas being outrageously higher.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:44 pm