Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Nick Swisher? Oh, no, no!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Nick Swisher? Oh, no, no!!

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:42 pm

From Rotoworld.com:

"Braves released 1B Nick Swisher. They tried desperately to trade him but found no takers and will now bite the bullet that is his ridiculous $15 million salary for 2016. It should be noted that the Indians are covering $5 million of that. Swisher, 35, batted just .196/.312/.320 with six home runs and 25 RBI in 76 games last season between Cleveland and Atlanta."

The Sox could probably sign Swisher for the minimum with the Braves and Indians picking up the bulk of his huge salary.  However, he's no bargain at any price...  Please, Kenny, don't even think about it!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: Nick Swisher? Oh, no, no!!

Post by alohafri on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:47 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:From Rotoworld.com:

"Braves released 1B Nick Swisher. They tried desperately to trade him but found no takers and will now bite the bullet that is his ridiculous $15 million salary for 2016. It should be noted that the Indians are covering $5 million of that. Swisher, 35, batted just .196/.312/.320 with six home runs and 25 RBI in 76 games last season between Cleveland and Atlanta."

The Sox could probably sign Swisher for the minimum with the Braves and Indians picking up the bulk of his huge salary.  However, he's no bargain at any price...  Please, Kenny, don't even think about it!

I would become a Cub fan if the Sox signed this jackweasel.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:29 pm

i'd laugh my ass off every time he stepped to the plate.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:11 am

alohafri wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

I would become a Cub fan if the Sox signed this jackweasel.

While some club is almost always willing to give a big salaried, name player a shot if he can be scooped up for league minimum, anyone who looks at Swisher's record over the last two years and the medical reports on his surgically repaired knees would have to say "pass."  There's no reason to give him a job because of what he did 4-5 years ago.

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:24 am

THE KARK TAKES SWISHER OVER A 12TH PITCHER ANYDAY OF THE WEEK AND TWICE ON SUNDAYS!!!

THAT SAID, WITH THE ABSOLUTELY STUPID RETIREMENT OF ADAM LAROUCHE, THE WHITE SOX HAVING AN OPENING FOR THE #5 SPOT ON THE BENCH (I.E 25TH MAN, I.E 12TH PITCHER)

I BELIEVE SANDS IS HAVING A GOOD SPRING.  AND DON'T THE SOX HAVE SOME JAPANESE GUY AS AN INVITEE?!?!?

NOW IF THE CASE CAN BE MADE THAT SANDS IS A BETTER ALTERNATIVE THAN SWISHER, THE KARK IS ALL EARS

HOWEVER, THE KARK HAS NO PROBLEM WITH SWISHER AS LONG AS HE KNOWS HIS ROLE AND SHUTS HIS MOUTH
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:05 am

Father of Stan wrote:THE KARK TAKES SWISHER OVER A 12TH PITCHER ANYDAY OF THE WEEK AND TWICE ON SUNDAYS!!!

THAT SAID, WITH THE ABSOLUTELY STUPID RETIREMENT OF ADAM LAROUCHE, THE WHITE SOX HAVING AN OPENING FOR THE #5 SPOT ON THE BENCH (I.E 25TH MAN, I.E 12TH PITCHER)

I BELIEVE SANDS IS HAVING A GOOD SPRING.  AND DON'T THE SOX HAVE SOME JAPANESE GUY AS AN INVITEE?!?!?

NOW IF THE CASE CAN BE MADE THAT SANDS IS A BETTER ALTERNATIVE THAN SWISHER, THE KARK IS ALL EARS

HOWEVER, THE KARK HAS NO PROBLEM WITH SWISHER AS LONG AS HE KNOWS HIS ROLE AND SHUTS HIS MOUTH

Agree, Sox could use another bat, preferably LHed.  Swisher is that, but his 640 spring convinced the Braves he's through on top of two straight miserable regular seasons. His knees are shot. 
    You're talking about Travis Ishikawa, who's LHed and has 902 this spring.   He's a career 712 though, so not much of a solution.  Sands sucks this spring (.200 BA), and has sucked his whole career.
    One guy who's tearing it up this spring is Matt Davidson (1.220).  But he's RHed and whiffs enough to make Dunn look like a contact hitter. Plus he's hit .199 and .203 in AAA the last two years.   So unless  Davidson at age 25 is finally ready to turn the proverbial corner, his spring numbers could be just some illusion from the dry Arizona air.  Ishikawa may be the 25th man.

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:25 am

I CHINK YOU MAY BE CORRECT

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:15 am

rmapasad wrote:
    Father of Stan wrote:THE KARK TAKES SWISHER OVER A 12TH PITCHER ANYDAY OF THE WEEK AND TWICE ON SUNDAYS!!!

Agree, Sox could use another bat, preferably LHed.  Swisher is that, but his 640 spring convinced the Braves he's through on top of two straight miserable regular seasons. His knees are shot. 
    You're talking about Travis Ishikawa, who's LHed and has 902 this spring.   He's a career 712 though, so not much of a solution.  Sands sucks this spring (.200 BA), and has sucked his whole career.
    One guy who's tearing it up this spring is Matt Davidson (1.220).  But he's RHed and whiffs enough to make Dunn look like a contact hitter. Plus he's hit .199 and .203 in AAA the last two years.   So unless  Davidson at age 25 is finally ready to turn the proverbial corner, his spring numbers could be just some illusion from the dry Arizona air.  Ishikawa may be the 25th man.

Who knows?  At this time of the year, it might even be the Flyin' Hawaiian.  There's a lot of guys around baseball either being released or DFA'd thru waivers (out of options).  Right now, though, it looks like 1B/OF Travis Ishikawa has the inside track if the Sox stick with what they now have.  If the Sox want to take another middle infielder, Carlos Sanchez is having a great spring; but the Sox probably want him playing everyday, so AAA Charlotte is his likely destination.  3B Matt Davidson is also likely headed to Charlotte where he'll get reps at 1B and probably OF.  INF/OF Leury Garcia has stunk both offensively and defensively.  If they wanted a very versatile player, they could have gone to Steve Lombardozzi who was sent to minor league camp.  OF Jerry Sands is a Quad-A type player with some power, but definitely fringe.  J.B. Shuck should make the team as one of the reserve outfielders.

I'm more concerned about the fifth starter in the pitching rotation.  Latos, Turner, and Johnson have been terrible.  Erik Johnson has already been sent to minor league camp.  The Sox probably should have protected Kyle Drabek by putting him on the 40-man roster last fall instead of letting the Dbacks grab him.  Carson Fullmer may get an early season call-up, ala Carlos Rodon last year.  Also, the Sox might look for some help at the back end of the bullpen, maybe another lefty to replace Jennings.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:48 am

INF/OF Leury Garcia has stunk both offensively and defensively.

********************************************************************************

So this absolutely useless piece of crap is still donning a White Sox uniform? Awesome! I never follow spring training so I had no idea this STIFF is still around. That he's still part of the organization tells me all I need to know about the direction this clown act still points towards.

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:53 am

Cream1953 wrote: INF/OF Leury Garcia has stunk both offensively and defensively.  

********************************************************************************

So this absolutely useless piece of crap is still donning a White Sox uniform? Awesome! I never follow spring training so I had no idea this STIFF is still around. That he's still part of the organization tells me all I need to know about the direction this clown act still points towards.

Leury Garcia is the new Paco Martin!!!!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:09 pm

Father of Stan wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote: INF/OF Leury Garcia has stunk both offensively and defensively.  

Leury Garcia is the new Paco Martin!!!!!

He couldn't carry Paco's jock.  Norberto Martin could play.  Leury Garcia can't hit, and he's like Tony "the butcher" Graffanino on the infield while getting poor reads in the outfield.  However, Ventura seems to love the guy and keeps throwing him out there day after day.  He's a very fast baserunner, and that's it.

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:17 pm

LEURY GARCIA IS THE NEW HERB WASHINGTON!!!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Father of Stan wrote:LEURY GARCIA IS THE NEW HERB WASHINGTON!!!!

Yep, but the A's knew enough to keep Herb Washington off the field and out of the lineup.  Carrying 12 pitchers, the Sox don't have room on the roster for a guy who can only pinch run.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:33 pm

However, Ventura seems to love the guy and keeps throwing him out there day after day.

**********************************************************************************

Makes perfect sense since Ventura is the Leury Garcia of managment and baseball leadership.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Cream1953 wrote:However, Ventura seems to love the guy and keeps throwing him out there day after day.

**********************************************************************************

Makes perfect sense since Ventura is the Leury Garcia of managment and baseball leadership.

Perhaps Hahn intervened because the Sox just sent Leury Garcia back to AAA Charlotte with this morning's cuts.  Also sent to the minor league camp were 2B Carlos Sanchez, 3B Matt Davidson, OF Jason Coats, and RHP Tommy Kahnle.  Ventura also announced that J.B. Shuck has made the team.

Given that the Sox are probably going to open the season with 12 pitchers, only one spot still remains open for a position player (non-pitcher).  Right now the battle for that last spot appears to be between 1B/OF Travis Ishikawa, OF Jerry Sands, and perhaps C Hector Sanchez.   Sanchez may make the team if oft-injured C Alex Avila appears iffy.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:35 pm

Leury Garcia has stunk both offensively and defensively.  If they wanted a very versatile player, they could have gone to Steve Lombardozzi who was sent to minor league camp.  OF Jerry Sands is a Quad-A type player with some power, but definitely fringe.  J.B. Shuck should make the team as one of the reserve outfielders.
    I'm more concerned about the fifth starter in the pitching rotation.  Latos, Turner, and Johnson have been terrible.  Erik Johnson has already been sent to minor league camp.  The Sox probably should have protected Kyle Drabek by putting him on the 40-man roster last fall instead of letting the Dbacks grab him.  Carson Fullmer may get an early season call-up, ala Carlos Rodon last year.  Also, the Sox might look for some help at the back end of the bullpen, maybe another lefty to replace Jen

Agree, the more troublesome issue is 5th starter.   Arizona air inflates all pitcher stats - Sale has a 4.76 ERA this spring,  but Johnson's 13.50 and Latos' 12.46 are definitely concerns, particularly since the other 4 guys in the rotation are all LHers.   Rushing Fullmer to the big leagues not a good idea - he's only had 25 IP pro ball - at Rookie and A ball level.  Needs to prove he can get guys out at least in AA before thinking of a callup.  Latos is probably the guy they'll trot out for right now but this is kind of do and die for Johnson this year, and he might as well get his last hurrah.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:19 pm

rmapasad wrote:
     Leury Garcia has stunk both offensively and defensively.  If they wanted a very versatile player, they could have gone to Steve Lombardozzi who was sent to minor league camp.  OF Jerry Sands is a Quad-A type player with some power, but definitely fringe.  J.B. Shuck should make the team as one of the reserve outfielders.
    I'm more concerned about the fifth starter in the pitching rotation.  Latos, Turner, and Johnson have been terrible.  Erik Johnson has already been sent to minor league camp.  The Sox probably should have protected Kyle Drabek by putting him on the 40-man roster last fall instead of letting the Dbacks grab him.  Carson Fullmer may get an early season call-up, ala Carlos Rodon last year.  Also, the Sox might look for some help at the back end of the bullpen, maybe another lefty to replace Jen

Agree, the more troublesome issue is 5th starter.   Arizona air inflates all pitcher stats - Sale has a 4.76 ERA this spring,  but Johnson's 13.50 and Latos' 12.46 are definitely concerns, particularly since the other 4 guys in the rotation are all LHers.   Rushing Fullmer to the big leagues not a good idea - he's only had 25 IP pro ball - at Rookie and A ball level.  Needs to prove he can get guys out at least in AA before thinking of a callup.  Latos is probably the guy they'll trot out for right now but this is kind of do and die for Johnson this year, and he might as well get his last hurrah.

Carson Fulmer is on the fast track.  The Sox liked what they saw of him during Spring Training and have bumped him up to AA Birmingham to start the season.  Someone in the Sox organization, I believe that it was Don Cooper, said that Fulmer is further along now than Carlos Rodon was at this time last year.  If the other options for the back of the rotation fall thru, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fulmer called up by Memorial Day, although the Sox probably would prefer to give him a full season in the minors.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:35 pm