Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Tip waiters, not batters

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Tip waiters, not batters

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:12 am

John Danks has strung together 11 scoreless innings in his last 2 spring training starts.  Yeah, it's somewhat meaningless, and it might not carry forward into the regular season.  Anyway, Dioner Navarro told Danks that he was tipping his pitches.  Danks listened and adjusted.  Maybe all it takes is a new experienced catcher to turn a crummy pitcher around.  Nah, that sounds too fanboyish... Rolling Eyes

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/john-danks-hot-streak-after-dioner-navarros-tip-tipping-pitches
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Tip waiters, not batters

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:24 am

I'm conflicted on how to take this news. Saw it yesterday and wondered about it. Have heard hundreds of times how a pitcher was alerted suddenly that his pitches were being tipped, and that now that he knows this, he'll adjust. But this has never amounted to "holy shit, this guy is suddenly good now!" I don't rule it out, but when your fastball is only 90'ish, a major leaguer can almost sit on the breaking ball and adjust to the fastball. Back when Danks was a good starter 6-7 yrs ago, he was routinely in the 93-95 range, sometimes 96, on his fastball. Guys had to be ready for that and a curve or change would lock them up. Watching Danks now, he reminds me of a wilder Mark Buehrle. He has to be precise in the zone (down, down and down) in order to have a good outing. Buehrle was the same way in his last 8 yrs, but was BETTER at staying down in the zone than Danks.
    joepoe
    Joe Borchard's Teammate

Post by joepoe on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:57 pm

The other thing Buehrle had going for him that Danks does not was he was an excellent fielder and had a deadly pickoff move. There was a sabremetric article that quantified how many runs Buehrle saved on his ERA because of his fielding prowess. Wish I could find it.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:55 pm

joepoe wrote:The other thing Buehrle had going for him that Danks does not was he was an excellent fielder and had a deadly pickoff move. There was a sabremetric article that quantified how many runs Buehrle saved on his ERA because of his fielding prowess. Wish I could find it.

Career-wise, had more pickoffs than stolen bases surrendered. That's pretty fucking amazing. Can't tell you how many times he had runners diving back to first base while he was delivering a pitch to home plate, and guys breaking away from first when he'd throw over there. Jedi Mind Trick!
    joepoe
    Joe Borchard's Teammate

Post by joepoe on Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:44 pm

Found it:

http://grantland.com/features/mark-buehrle-surprising-success/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:09 pm