Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

LaRoche Retiring

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: LaRoche Retiring

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:31 pm

rmapasad wrote:The Jackson signing now makes even greater sense. 
    <
    LaRoche said he's walking away due to a personal issue and is confident in his decision. The 36-year-old batted just .207/.293/.340 with 12 home runs and 44 RBI in 127 games last season and was set to make $13 million in 2016. Assuming he's done for good, he'll wrap up his career with 255 lifetime homers and 1,452 hits. With LaRoche out of the picture, both Austin Jackson and Avisail Garcia figure to be regulars in Chicago's lineup.>>

Considering how poor he was last year, this is no loss.  What's odd though is that he was at Spring Training and played in 2-3 games.  Maybe his back is bothering him. At this point, the Sox should consider signing Justin Morneau or MArlon Byrd just to have another option at DH

Updates on Byrd and Morneau:  Byrd signed with the Indians yesterday, and Morneau won't be able to swing a bat until June due to elbow surgery last December.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:33 pm

Can't believe there's actually something that I agree with Kenny Williams on but this is one of them. Fuck LaRoche and his kid. It's a baseball locker room, not some kind of fucking day care center. If the kids are there on some kind of designated "family day" then fine, but otherwise the locker room should be off limits. Stiff Laroche should worry more about his hitting than babysitting the kid. 

Now on the other hand if Paul Konerko wanted to bring his wife by frequently and pass her around the locker room it woulda been fine by me!!  Twisted Evil
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:59 pm

rmapasad wrote:

It's a very odd story.  First, I can't think of many players willing to walk away from $ 13 million over something like this. 
    Agreed.  I wonder if doofus LaRoche was obstinately posturing like a child after being told to keep his kid's hours down.  Then when he said "I quit!!!", Kenny saw the immediate gift of $13 million from this disappointment and quickly took him up on it.

Can't imagine doofus LaRoche is happy with the outcome of his tantrum.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:10 pm

jaywit wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

It's a very odd story.  First, I can't think of many players willing to walk away from $ 13 million over something like this. 
    Agreed.  I wonder if doofus LaRoche was obstinately posturing like a child after being told to keep his kid's hours down.  Then when he said "I quit!!!", Kenny saw the immediate gift of $13 million from this disappointment and quickly took him up on it.

I hope that the Sox brass took the phone off the hook immediately after they told him to call within the next couple days if he changed his mind.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:27 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

I hope that the Sox brass took the phone off the hook immediately after they told him to call within the next couple days if he changed his mind.

LaRoche was probably expecting KW to become pleadingly apologetic.  Instead, KW found an easy way out of this management blunder and on the inside, breathed a sigh of relief.

Problem is, I'm sure there's many doofus'es on KW's list.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:39 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Can't believe there's actually something that I agree with Kenny Williams on but this is one of them. Fuck LaRoche and his kid. It's a baseball locker room, not some kind of fucking day care center. If the kids are there on some kind of designated "family day" then fine, but otherwise the locker room should be off limits. Stiff Laroche should worry more about his hitting than babysitting the kid. Now on the other hand if Paul Konerko wanted to bring his wife by frequently and pass her around the locker room it woulda been fine by me!!  Twisted Evil

Yes, it was a perfectly reasonable for Kenny to say - don't bring your kid into the locker room so often.  You'd think players would have no problem understanding that.  Plus, they'd surely understand that players who do get special privileges are either long-timers or good performers (like Abreu).  So with no basic reason to challenge Kenny's decision, why in the hell did the team's best player order Kenny out of clubhouse and the whole team threaten to a boycott a game ?   

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:07 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:Can't believe there's actually something that I agree with Kenny Williams on but this is one of them. Fuck LaRoche and his kid. It's a baseball locker room, not some kind of fucking day care center. If the kids are there on some kind of designated "family day" then fine, but otherwise the locker room should be off limits. Stiff Laroche should worry more about his hitting than babysitting the kid. Now on the other hand if Paul Konerko wanted to bring his wife by frequently and pass her around the locker room it woulda been fine by me!!  Twisted Evil

Yes, it was a perfectly reasonable for Kenny to say - don't bring your kid into the locker room so often.  You'd think players would have no problem understanding that.  Plus, they'd surely understand that players who do get special privileges are either long-timers or good performers (like Abreu).  So with no basic reason to challenge Kenny's decision, why in the hell did the team's best player order Kenny out of clubhouse and the whole team threaten to a boycott a game ?   

As I picture it, Kenny is Jerry's enforcer, the heavy, the Luca Brasi of Sox management.  Ventura doesn't have the balls, Hahn's a legal mouse, and Reinsdorf isn't going to dirty his hands.  Kenny is the ex-football jock who does the yelling and intimidating, which doesn't work too well with today's multi-millionaire players.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:31 pm

As I picture it, Kenny is Jerry's enforcer, the heavy, the Luca Brasi of Sox management >>
    Yeah, and we all know what happened to Luca Brasi.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7RMKq8RQj4

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:46 pm

Saw on the Bleacher Report that the players association is looking to file a grievance 

Supposedly kid in the clubhouse is either in his contract or at least promised verbally

But this begs the question, if LaRoach had it in writing, why the fuck does he quit.

Even if it's a verbal agreement, what kind of loon goes straight to quit mode

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Father of Stan wrote:Saw on the Bleacher Report that the players association is looking to file a grievance 

Supposedly kid in the clubhouse is either in his contract or at least promised verbally

But this begs the question, if LaRoach had it in writing, why the fuck does he quit.

Perhaps one who lawyered up and figured that he'd get the $13 million and then some when all is said and done.  Frank B. can answer this far better than I can, but here's my understanding:

If one party breaches a provision of a contract and the other party acts as if nothing has happened, then it's kind of hard to claim material damages.  However, by walking away from the contract claiming that the breach has rendered it null and void, the aggrieved party has a much stronger claim for material damages.

I'd love to hear Frank's take on this...

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:45 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Father of Stan wrote:Saw on the Bleacher Report that the players association is looking to file a grievance 

Perhaps one who lawyered up and figured that he'd get the $13 million and then some when all is said and done.  Frank B. can answer this far better than I can, but here's my understanding:

If one party breaches a provision of a contract and the other party acts as if nothing has happened, then it's kind of hard to claim material damages.  However, by walking away from the contract claiming that the breach has rendered it null and void, the aggrieved party has a much stronger claim for material damages.

I'd love to hear Frank's take on this...
    A lot if what you say has merit. People keep a saying- you can't break a contract. Of course you can. Breaking a contract isn't a crime. 
    However,you are liable fir the damaged your breach causes the other party. But ( if he can) the aggrieved party is expecting to do what he can to mitigate his damages. Failure to do so will reduce damages.
    BUT the argument as to mitigating damages is on the party who broke the contract- it's not up to the aggrieved party to have to defend their action or lack thereof

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks, Frank... Smile

(It sounds like Luca Brasi may have gotten pinned to the counter top on this one.)

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:42 pm

1). How did the Sox breach the contract, assuming it actually has a kiddie clause?  And if it did have a kiddie clause, then why doesn't LaDouchebag remind KW of the clause?

2) If this a breach, and LaDouchebag is using it as a means to void the contract, then my recollection of business law means the Sox don't owe him shit.  I believe Catfish Hunter being awarded free agency in 1974 would be an appreciate punishment

3) What kind of psycho asshole judge would award LaDouchebag $13mil for what appears to be nothing more than a suggestion on KW part

4)  The players association is most likely getting involve because players walking away from big money contracts is bad for business.  Read Marvin Miller biography if you need further understanding of this

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:15 pm

The problem with this thread us that NOONE knows what really happened!!
    Maybe a larouche us a dip shit who expects entitlements and is going to stand up for his principles.
    If I'm his lawyer, I tell him to explain how I ALWAYS hit better when my sounds around .then I tell him to "bust his ass" or AT LEAST appear to be busting his ass.
    Smash the ground with your bar when you strike out and pound your bat on the ground when you get a ball called a  strike.then pho vack to Locher roonn( the sports bat for the Rsdt coast

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:15 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:The problem with this thread us that NOONE knows what really happened!!
    Maybe a larouche us a dip shit who expects entitlements and is going to stand up for his principles.
    If I'm his lawyer, I tell him to explain how I ALWAYS hit better when my sounds around .then I tell him to "bust his ass" or AT LEAST appear to be busting his ass.
    Smash the ground with your bar when you strike out and pound your bat on the ground when you get a ball called a  strike.then pho vack to Locher roonn( the sports bat for the Rsdt coast

Right, Frank, none of us know what really happened or have read the contract.  That's why I was using generalities like "maybe", "perhaps", etc.  A lot of the press reports seem to be shooting in the dark also.  Having watched Reinsdorf and Company run/ruin the Sox for all these years, I find all this hillarious.  Maybe (there's that word again) they stepped into a huge pile of shit this time.  And perhaps (there's that other word again) there is an important lesson for Kenny Williams in all this:

Hey, Kenny, you don't act like Luca Brasi when you're not Luca Brasi because you may someday meet up with the real Luca Brasi and he'll clean up the streets with you. Laughing

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Father of Stan wrote:1). How did the Sox breach the contract, assuming it actually has a kiddie clause?  And if it did have a kiddie clause, then why doesn't LaDouchebag remind KW of the clause?

2) If this a breach, and LaDouchebag is using it as a means to void the contract, then my recollection of business law means the Sox don't owe him shit.  I believe Catfish Hunter being awarded free agency in 1974 would be an appreciate punishment

3) What kind of psycho asshole judge would award LaDouchebag $13mil for what appears to be nothing more than a suggestion on KW part

4)  The players association is most likely getting involve because players walking away from big money contracts is bad for business.  Read Marvin Miller biography if you need further understanding of this

Why worry about the $13 million, Kark?  There's no guarantee that Reinsdorf is going to put that money toward improving the team even if he gets to keep it all.

If Adam Laroche lands up sticking it to Reinsdorf, LaRoche will become one of my all-time favorite White Sox players. cheers
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:31 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:Right, Frank, none of us know what really happened or have read the contract.  That's why I was using generalities like "maybe", "perhaps", etc.  A lot of the press reports seem to be shooting in the dark also.  Having watched Reinsdorf and Company run/ruin the Sox for all these years, I find all this hillarious.  Maybe (there's that word again) they stepped into a huge pile of shit this time.  And perhaps (there's that other word again) there is an important lesson for Kenny Williams in all this:
    Hey, Kenny, you don't act like Luca Brasi when you're not Luca Brasi because you may someday meet up with the real Luca Brasi and he'll clean up the streets with you. Laughing

There is no lesson in all of this unless Kenny meets the same fate as Luca.  But he won't because Jerry likes him in the role as Designated Dick. 

t a way to piss off a Publishers Clearing House winner when handing him the check.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:17 am

rmapasad wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:Right, Frank, none of us know what really happened or have read the contract.  That's why I was using generalities like "maybe", "perhaps", etc.  A lot of the press reports seem to be shooting in the dark also.  Having watched Reinsdorf and Company run/ruin the Sox for all these years, I find all this hillarious.  Maybe (there's that word again) they stepped into a huge pile of shit this time.  And perhaps (there's that other word again) there is an important lesson for Kenny Williams in all this:

There is no lesson in all of this unless Kenny meets the same fate as Luca.  But he won't because Jerry likes him in the role as Designated Dick. 

Well, maybe KW will go work for the Marlins where he can "swim with the fishes"... clown

To me, if LaRoche hit .260 last year with 25 HRs and 80 RBIs, there would have been no problem with his kid in the clubhouse.  Heck, he was like another bat boy.  Kids have probably been in clubhouses for as long as pro baseball has been played.

Whether it was Kenny acting on his own to be his typical asshole self or just following Reinsdorf's orders like the lackey he is, this whole matter doesn't look good, especially at a time when MLB is promoting family values by cracking down on abusers.  Here, a president of a franchise is apparently using a veteran player's 13 year old son as a means to strong arm the player for whatever reason.

GM Rick Hahn said that the presence of LaRoche's son in the clubhouse came up in negotiating LaRoche's 2-year contract and at the time Hahn told LaRoche that there was no problem.  The Sox even gave the kid his own locker.  Hahn's statement to the press really seems to be sticking it to Luca Brasi, and maybe even Vito Corleone himself.  Maybe Hahn's tired of being the mouthpiece for these two clowns.

Regarding the F-bomb laced exchange between Chris Sale and KW, I'm surmising that Sale is front and center in this affair because he is the union players' rep.  Ventura evidently talked the team into playing Wednesday's game saying that management needed time to work out a fair solution.  For the multitude of fans (in Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, and KC) hoping for LaRoche's return, my guess is that it ain't going to happen but rather some cash settlement will likely take place.

KW doesn't really have to fear the union unless it whines enough to bring the Commissioner's office into play.  Then, an investigation could result in a fine and/or suspension.

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:08 am

Mart

You are obsessing

Chill

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:12 am

Frank

I am not claiming to have the answers

But I know how to ask the right questions

The reasonable man standard still exists in a court of law doesn't it

What is intriguing here is how unreasonable everything seems

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:55 am

Father of Stan wrote:Mart

You are obsessing

Chill

Ah, Kark, I'm just having fun reminiscing about the good old days when company goons would try to muscle their way into union meetings and get their asses kicked out the back door into the alley. Very Happy

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:11 am

Father of Stan wrote:Frank

I am not claiming to have the answers

But I know how to ask the right questions

The reasonable man standard still exists in a court of law doesn't it

What is intriguing here is how unreasonable everything seems

The reasonable man concept is a negligence issue.

"Negligence" is doing something that a reasonable person wouldn't do or failing to do something that a reasonable person would do,  under similar circumstances.

Contracts and the consequences are determined by the contract except in rare instances when a contract can be voided for other issues.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:10 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:

Well, maybe KW will go work for the Marlins where he can "swim with the fishes"... clown
    To me, if LaRoche hit .260 last year with 25 HRs and 80 RBIs, there would have been no problem with his kid in the clubhouse.  Heck, he was like another bat boy.  Kids have probably been in clubhouses for as long as pro baseball has been played.
    Whether it was Kenny acting on his own to be his typical asshole self or just following Reinsdorf's orders like the lackey he is, this whole matter doesn't look good, especially at a time when MLB is promoting family values by cracking down on abusers.  Here, a president of a franchise is apparently using a veteran player's 13 year old son as a means to strong arm the player for whatever reason.
    GM Rick Hahn said that the presence of LaRoche's son in the clubhouse came up in negotiating LaRoche's 2-year contract and at the time Hahn told LaRoche that there was no problem.  The Sox even gave the kid his own locker.  Hahn's statement to the press really seems to be sticking it to Luca Brasi, and maybe even Vito Corleone himself.  Maybe Hahn's tired of being the mouthpiece for these two clowns.

Regarding the F-bomb laced exchange between Chris Sale and KW, I'm surmising that Sale is front and center in this affair because he is the union players' rep.  Ventura evidently talked the team into playing Wednesday's game saying that management needed time to work out a fair solution.  For the multitude of fans (in Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, and KC) hoping for LaRoche's return, my guess is that it ain't going to happen but rather some cash settlement will likely take place.
    KW doesn't really have to fear the union unless it whines enough to bring the Commissioner's office into play.  Then, an investigation could result in a fine and/or suspension.

While the Sox not having to pay LaRoche's salary may be viewed as a positive outcome by Reinsdorf, even Uncle Jer has to take notice of how hostile the players are to Kenny.  Keeping KW around as the resident attack dog has downsides, which could be intensified if the MLBP Union decides to intervene on behalf of LaRoche.  Obviously Kenny will still keep his useless job but maybe Reinsdorf starts using a leash on him for a change.

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:55 pm

This entire bullshit just shows how childish these peoples are....no pun intended. This is the most important thing they have to worry about as the season approaches ..no wonder they continually suck
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:14 pm

Chi-kid wrote:This entire bullshit just shows how childish these peoples are....no pun intended. This is the most important thing they have to worry about as the season approaches ..no wonder they continually suck

Agreed. A championship team would be focused on getting the job done and not letting shit like this become a distraction.  Players got carried away with the "we stick together" stuff over a cause that wasn't really worth boycotting a game over.  But Kenny, who uniquely finds ways to make molehills into mountains, couldn't have handled this any worse.
    Championship mentality starts from the top. When the Owner shows he's more concerned about keeping inept loyalists like Williams and Ventura in their jobs than he is in getting winning results, then it's easier for everyone (players included) to get caught up in the petty nonsense that all organizations have.  Championship teams find a way to keep the petty bullshit within four walls and get over it fast.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00 pm