Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

LaRoche Retiring

rmapasad
    Roof Shot

LaRoche Retiring

Post by rmapasad on Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:44 pm

The Jackson signing now makes even greater sense. 
    <<Adam LaRoche said Tuesday that he intends to retire.
    LaRoche said he's walking away due to a personal issue and is confident in his decision. The 36-year-old batted just .207/.293/.340 with 12 home runs and 44 RBI in 127 games last season and was set to make $13 million in 2016. Assuming he's done for good, he'll wrap up his career with 255 lifetime homers and 1,452 hits. With LaRoche out of the picture, both Austin Jackson and Avisail Garcia figure to be regulars in Chicago's lineup.>>

Considering how poor he was last year, this is no loss.  What's odd though is that he was at Spring Training and played in 2-3 games.  Maybe his back is bothering him. At this point, the Sox should consider signing Justin Morneau or MArlon Byrd just to have another option at DH

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: LaRoche Retiring

Post by alohafri on Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:49 pm

rmapasad wrote:The Jackson signing now makes even greater sense. 
    LaRoche said he's walking away due to a personal issue and is confident in his decision. The 36-year-old batted just .207/.293/.340 with 12 home runs and 44 RBI in 127 games last season and was set to make $13 million in 2016. Assuming he's done for good, he'll wrap up his career with 255 lifetime homers and 1,452 hits. With LaRoche out of the picture, both Austin Jackson and Avisail Garcia figure to be regulars in Chicago's lineup.>>

Considering how poor he was last year, this is no loss.  What's odd though is that he was at Spring Training and played in 2-3 games.  Maybe his back is bothering him. At this point, the Sox should consider signing Justin Morneau or MArlon Byrd just to have another option at DH

I think the Sox World Series odds just got better.
    Father of Satan
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Father of Satan on Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:50 pm

alohafri wrote:

I think the Sox World Series odds just got better.

You think so? Fie on you!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:01 pm

"Addition by subtraction."

This is the ultimate living definition of the term.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:34 pm

If nothing else it saves them a few bucks. 
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:49 pm

Think about it. LaRoche, Oaf, Manny, Ken Griffey Jr. when he was drawing social security, Mark Teahan, Scott Linebrink, a useless Jake Peavey, Alex Rios, Available Garcia, Tank....the list goes on and on. Does this team know how to pick 'em or what?

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Joey Votto ....calling Joey Votto ....Train to Chicago leaving at station # 5 ...ALLLLLLL ABOARRRRRRD!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:11 pm

TeleFrank wrote:If nothing else it saves them a few bucks. 

$ 12 million to be exact.  But Sox need to put some of it to use, not just see Jerry pocket it.  Some LHed punch in the lineup is needed.  While LaRoche didn't offer much of that, he was a slight threat to RHers last year.  Neither Jackson or Garcia were.    As noted before, Justin Morneau could probably be had for cheap right now.  Little suspect of whether his concussion woes are over, and he's lost some power last few years.  But he hit .300 last year in the time he played.  Dodgers might be willing to pay a good chunk of Carl Crawford's remaining salary to get him off the books.  Sure Hahn is busy exploring options.  Sitting on that savings and doing nothing would not be a good thing.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:18 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Joey Votto ....calling Joey Votto ....Train to Chicago leaving at station # 5 ...ALLLLLLL ABOARRRRRRD!

Votto has 8 more years and $ 192 million left on his deal.  That seems like nosebleed territory for Reinsdorf.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:42 pm

<

I'm surprised Justin Morneau is still unsigned.  Maybe his concussion problems are back.

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:20 pm

Damn

I was kind of hoping he'd become sort of weird marriage between Mike Squires and Jusn Agosto.

I think he would have done well if limited to 125 AB & 25 IP

Anyway, nice to see him walk away from 13mil for the good of the team.  That alone has to have Bobby and Timmy heads spinning

BYW, no truth to the rumor he recently appeared in a video w/Hulk Hogan

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:06 pm

Anyway, nice to see him walk away from 13mil for the good of the team.  That alone has to have Bobby and Timmy heads spinning

Why would my head spin??  I don't really care about the finances of baseball. This tells me he has some integrity to walk away and put other things above money, and, it tells me he's made enough money where $13 million doesn't mean anything to him.. a concept that I certainly cannot comprehend, but hey,  apparently he can.

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:10 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:Joey Votto ....calling Joey Votto ....Train to Chicago leaving at station # 5 ...ALLLLLLL ABOARRRRRRD!

Votto has 8 more years and $ 192 million left on his deal.  That seems like nosebleed territory for Reinsdorf.

Since when should we care about the profit margin of JR's business?  Hey, he paid Albert belle, why not someone who really can play the game?
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:54 pm

Chi-kid wrote:
    Since when should we care about the profit margin of JR's business?  Hey, he paid Albert belle, why not someone who really can play the game?

Sharpy, I'm skeptical that Reinsdorf will spend any meaningful part of the $ 13 mil LaRoche savings.   Let alone take on the salary of a $ 25 mil per year guy like Votto.  IMO, it seems like the Belle flop gave Reinsdorf a permanent phobia about signing any big $$$ star. Dunn's $ 14 mil per yr deal, which was struck five years ago, still is the highest single year salary the Sox have paid to anyone. Despite the fact that the average payroll has gone up almost 35% since then.

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:29 pm

Sharpy, I'm skeptical that Reinsdorf will spend any meaningful part of the $ 13 mil LaRoche savings.   Let alone take on the salary of a $ 25 mil per year guy like Votto.  IMO, it seems like the Belle flop gave Reinsdorf a permanent phobia about signing any big $$$ star. Dunn's $ 14 mil per yr deal, which was struck five years ago, still is the highest single year salary the Sox have paid to anyone. Despite the fact that the average payroll has gone up almost 35% since then.

I doubt the sox get votto b/c I don't think they have the minor league talent to get him from the Reds. They would have to give up Fulmer and Anderson, imo, to get the Reds to trade him, especially if the Sox wanted the Reds to pay any of the salary, which they might do given their 'rebuild' mode they are in.  I don't think JR would pay votto either ,  however, if he should get the 'compete against the cubs' bug up his ass, he might..esp if they get salary help from Cincy
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:05 am

rmapasad wrote:

Sharpy, I'm skeptical that Reinsdorf will spend any meaningful part of the $ 13 mil LaRoche savings.   

He should give it to the people who really deserve it...Lloyd and Russell the beer vendors!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:39 am

He should give it to the people who really deserve it...Lloyd and Russell the beer vendors!

***********************************************************************************

I knew that deep down you are a democrat!!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:03 am

Cream1953 wrote:He should give it to the people who really deserve it...Lloyd and Russell the beer vendors!

***********************************************************************************

I knew that deep down you are a democrat!!

Only when it comes to supporting the guys who keep me happy at Sox games.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:43 am

Put down the Malort.  Take a look at HIS CONTRACT!!!!
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:44 am

alohafri wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

Sharpy, I'm skeptical that Reinsdorf will spend any meaningful part of the $ 13 mil LaRoche savings.   

LENINIST!!!

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:40 am

Chi-kid wrote:Anyway, nice to see him walk away from 13mil for the good of the team.  That alone has to have Bobby and Timmy heads spinning

Why would my head spin??  I don't really care about the finances of baseball. This tells me he has some integrity to walk away and put other things above money, and, it tells me he's made enough money where $13 million doesn't mean anything to him.. a concept that I certainly cannot comprehend, but hey,  apparently he can.

To be honest, walking away from that kind of money makes my head spin.

I believe in was 1993.  Rembember when Steve Sax was earning top dollar to ride the bench all year?  some dumb schmuck reporter asks him how he deals with it, as if he was just diagnosed with cancer.  Sax sort of laughed it off.  claiming he's healthy, his family is healthy. 
    Wish he were starting but there are far far worse things in the world than being an MLB bench warmer.

If this were the KARK, I gladly sit on my ass.  Unless of course Reinsdorf somehow got a photograph of me playing Hulk Hogan with Trixie

what sucks about this whole thing is you just know it means 12 pitchers

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:47 am

Shooters Buffet wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

LENINIST!!!

A CONSERVATIVE WOULD USE THE $13MIL TO LOWER BEER PRICES WHICH WOULD ATTRACT MORE FANS WHICH WOULD MORE THAN MAKE UP THE $13MIL ON VOLUME

BETTER YET, A FINANCIALLY SAVY CONSERVATIVE WOULD INCORPORATE AVERAGE BEER SALES INTO THE PRICE OF THE TICKET, THEN ALLOW BYOB, WHICH NOT ONLY ALLOWS ME TO FIRE ALL THE BEER VENDORS, BUT ALLOWS ME TO CONVERT BEER STORAGE AREAS INTO MORE SEATING WHICH MEANS MORE MONEY

AND IF I MAKE BYOB CANS ONLY, I COULD PROBABLY GENERATE SOME REAL RECYCLING MONEY
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:00 am

rmapasad wrote:

ROTFLMFAO!!!!  The contract is in a different solar system than Reinsdorf's!!!

The highest contract Reinsdorf has shelled out is Abreu's.

$68,000,000.

He is 80.  His investors would revolt if he took on Votto's deal.

This has always been about Reinsdorf and his Investors and not FANBOYS!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:29 pm

He is 80.  His investors would revolt if he took on Votto's deal.>>
    In this case, they would be justified.  Votto's contract is crazy.  He's an excellent player, but his power peaked at age 27 and they signed him to a 10 year deal at age 30.  Pujols started his slide from eliteness at age 33. Both clubs are going to regret the last 4-5 years of those contracts when they're paying a 1bman (the easiest spot to find a hitter) $ 25 +M per year to hit .250-.260  with 20-25 HR's.  Or spending  1/2 the season on the DL. 
    Rafael Palmiero is the only  1bman to hit more than 120 HR's after age 36 and we now know why he did it.

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:41 pm

Rafael Palmiero is the only  1bman to hit more than 120 HR's after age 36 and we now know why he did it.

The prayers, the training, and the vitamins.

But mostly, from feeding off the energy of all the little Raffy-Maniacs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:15 am