Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Keith Emerson

Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Keith Emerson

Post by Cream1953 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:54 pm

Dead at 71. There are several great keyboard players in rock'n'roll. Then there's Keith Emerson. One of a kind.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: Keith Emerson

Post by alohafri on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:45 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Dead at 71. There are several great keyboard players in rock'n'roll. Then there's Keith Emerson. One of a kind.

I always thought of ELP as a poor man's Yes, but Emerson was so good!

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Killed himself ....self inflicted gunshot wound (from what I've heard). Wonder if he was sick? or just depressed?
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:00 pm

I've read where it was a combination of the two. Apparently suffered nerve damage in his hand which prevented him from playing. Obviously had a hard time dealing with that. 

Yes vs. ELP? I'll take ELP. Squire was a better bass player than Lake but I'll take Emerson over Wakeman or anybody else they had on keys any day of the week. As for Buford vs. Palmer? As good as Buford is, Palmer takes it easily. Carl Palmer was one of Buddy Rich's most admired drummers. Yeah....he's that good. Also they were two entirely different bands. Yes was a talented combo. ELP did it as a trio. In a musical genre almost completely dominated by the electric guitar...ELP did it driven exclusively with keyboards.  

Wanna hear some great keyboards by Keith pre-ELP check out his earlier band. The Nice.

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:17 am

I don't know anything about musical technique or how to judge skill. I tend to listen to bands and if an instrument stands out to me, I kind of assume they are talented and good. Palmer always stood out in their tunes, much more than the Yes drummer, similar to Moon being prominent in Who songs, and current day, the drummer for Pearl Jam always does that for me. Listen to a Pearl Jam record, esp a live recording and the drummer hits you, or at least hits me. That's what I remember about ELP, Carl Palmer even more so than emerson.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:03 am

Cream can probably speak to this but I always thought Bruford's drumming was more just kind of random and intermittent than being your typically driver of a rhythm section. And don't get me wrong....I loved Yes. As one of those weirdoes that likes to tap along on my steering wheel and pretend I'm in the band and maybe even better than the guy playing in the actual song, I could never really play along with Bruford because it just meanders all over the damn place. And like Tim says, whenever I listened to ELP, it was Carl Palmer whaling wailing away on the drums with some other music around him.

Last edited by Soxillinirob on Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:24 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I've read where it was a combination of the two. Apparently suffered nerve damage in his hand which prevented him from playing. Obviously had a hard time dealing with that. 

Yes vs. ELP? I'll take ELP. Squire was a better bass player than Lake but I'll take Emerson over Wakeman or anybody else they had on keys any day of the week. As for Buford vs. Palmer? As good as Buford is, Palmer takes it easily. Carl Palmer was one of Buddy Rich's most admired drummers. Yeah....he's that good. Also they were two entirely different bands. Yes was a talented combo. ELP did it as a trio. In a musical genre almost completely dominated by the electric guitar...ELP did it driven exclusively with keyboards.  

Wanna hear some great keyboards by Keith pre-ELP check out his earlier band. The Nice.

You are right about Carl Palmer, the guy is flat out incredible. And by taking Yes over ELP, I am in no way downplaying ELP. I just prefer Yes.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:19 pm

I hope this works. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGAh41psYJ8

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:36 pm