Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

The Flyin' Hawaiian?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

The Flyin' Hawaiian?

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Hey, with Jimmy Rollins in the bag, is his old teammate Shane Victorino next?  This team is starting to make me feel young again!

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Last edited by MGJOHNSON on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Re: The Flyin' Hawaiian?

Post by Shooters Buffet on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:55 pm

BELIEVE!!

I am sure there is a great article on this pickup on the always fascinating WHITE SOX WEBSITE!!

The Fanboys juices are flowing!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:26 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:Hey, with Jimmy Rollins in the bag, is his old teammate Shane Victorino next?  This team is starting to make me feel young again!

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

MArt, you were the one who suggested Rollins several weeks ago and look what happened.   Yikes, now Victorino.   They may take you up on that one too !!! Surprised
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:32 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:Hey, with Jimmy Rollins in the bag, is his old teammate Shane Victorino next?  This team is starting to make me feel young again!

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Mart, I think that would take Musial, Snider or Ted Williams.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:39 pm

Nomads44 wrote:

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Mart, I think that would take Musial, Snider or Ted Williams.

LOL...  Yogi is now out of the reach of Reinsdorf's grasp.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:39 pm

rmapasad wrote:

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

MArt, you were the one who suggested Rollins several weeks ago and look what happened.   Yikes, now Victorino.   They may take you up on that one too !!! Surprised

Really Mart! Can't you suggest someone like Mike Trout?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:44 pm

rmapasad wrote:

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

I would not be at all surprised if Victorino flies (or sputters) into Sox camp.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:47 pm

alohafri wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

I've tried, Kevin, but the magic only works with stiffs. Sad

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:19 am

alohafri wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Just be thankful that I don't mention Nate McLouth.

Oops, maybe I just did!  affraid

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:11 pm

The Sox do like big tall guys in their 30s who flop, what's Ryan Howard up to?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Chi-kid wrote:The Sox do like big tall guys in their 30s who flop, what's Ryan Howard up to?

Ryan Howard has probably gone thru more forks the last few years than Olive Garden has bread sticks.  He might be better than LaRoche; and then again, he might not be.  My guess is that he'd be a slight upgrade at DH, but you definitely want to avoid having both stiffs on the same team (really, either stiff).

Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:04 pm

Fanboys love over the hill stiffs.  They call it WIN NOW!!!

BELIEVE!!!

Make FANBOYING a LIFESTYLE!!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:35 am

rmapasad wrote:

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

I was just doing some stats-hounding this morning and noticed that Victorino had 7 stolen bases in 7 attempts last season, that despite missing most of the season with first a pulled right hamstring and then a left calf strain.  The man can still run when he's healthy; it's just that his wheels keep falling off.  Would such a factor stop Reindorf if he could get Victorino cheap enough?  Probably not.

In Victorino's defense, he has been an exciting ballplayer in his heyday.  However, "has been" may be the operative term.  But who knows, there might be enough gas in the tank for a few more fast twirls around the basepaths before the wheels fall off again.  And if they do, there's always the DL.

Besides, he could "mentor"... Laughing

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:05 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Besides, he could "mentor"... Laughing

And John needs a "new" name for his jerseys...
    Trendsetting with "Victorino" would look cool. Cool

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:35 pm

But who knows, there might be enough gas in the tank for a few more fast twirls around the basepaths before the wheels fall off again.  And if they do, there's always the DL.

Wouldn't he have to get on base first?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:58 pm

Chi-kid wrote:But who knows, there might be enough gas in the tank for a few more fast twirls around the basepaths before the wheels fall off again.  And if they do, there's always the DL.

Wouldn't he have to get on base first?

That may be the problem -- the old adage, "You got to get to first base before you can steal second"...  I don't know if he can still hit.  A few years ago before all his injuries, Shane Victorino was a much better player than Dexter Fowler could ever hope to be.  Is he ready for the fork?  It could very well be.

Anyway with Fowler now signing with the Orioles, Victorino will likely land up someplace soon, even if just for a last fling.  Rumor has it that the Rangers are interested.  If the Sox do go after him, they will probably spring it on us without much advanced warning like the Rollins signing.  As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!"
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:54 pm

Victorino will likely land up someplace soon, even if just for a last fling.  Rumor has it that the Rangers are interested.  If the Sox do go after him, they will probably spring it on us without much advanced warning like the Rollins signing.  As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!"  >>>
    You are making sure people on this Board will have plenty of advance warning. Smile   Plus, would the signing of another retread really come as a big surprise, surprise, surprise to Sox fans ?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:38 pm

rmapasad wrote: Victorino will likely land up someplace soon, even if just for a last fling.  Rumor has it that the Rangers are interested.  If the Sox do go after him, they will probably spring it on us without much advanced warning like the Rollins signing.  As Gomer Pyle used to say, "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!"  >>>
    You are making sure people on this Board will have plenty of advance warning. Smile   Plus, would the signing of another retread really come as a big surprise, surprise, surprise to Sox fans ?

No not really, unless they spent the last quarter century plus sleeping like Rip Van Winkle.  However, Reinsdorf and Company almost always have been very secretive when it comes to pending moves.  Probably that's because they don't want competition to enter into the picture when they are trying to get someone on the cheap.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:51 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    No not really, unless they spent the last quarter century plus sleeping like Rip Van Winkle.  However, Reinsdorf and Company almost always have been very secretive when it comes to pending moves.  Probably that's because they don't want competition to enter into the picture when they are trying to get someone on the cheap.

I'm a little surprised that spring training camps are opening up and there are still a fair number of decent unsigned free agents.  Given the question marks about both Garcia and LaRoche, maybe the Sox should be considering Austin Jackson. He's a much better fielder than Garcia and while his hitting has declined from his 2012 peak, he still was better than either Garcia or LaRoche last year.  If Jackson could be had for $ 12-13 mil over 2 years that might be worth the risk.   Jackson could be used as the RFer which would then mean Garcia could be the DH v. LHers.  

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:19 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

I'm a little surprised that spring training camps are opening up and there are still a fair number of decent unsigned free agents.  Given the question marks about both Garcia and LaRoche, maybe the Sox should be considering Austin Jackson. He's a much better fielder than Garcia and while his hitting has declined from his 2012 peak, he still was better than either Garcia or LaRoche last year.  If Jackson could be had for $ 12-13 mil over 2 years that might be worth the risk.   Jackson could be used as the RFer which would then mean Garcia could be the DH v. LHers.  

The Sox probably ain't done yet, but whomever they get will be on the cheap.  Some teams look forward to competing in October.  February and March are Reinsdorf's prime time of the year to scour the garbage dumps.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:02 am

"Close but no cigar."  Victorino signs with the Cubs.

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:09 am

'm a little surprised that spring training camps are opening up and there are still a fair number of decent unsigned free agents.

No idea what they are asking for but it's possible they are pricing themselves out of the market. I agree in Austin Jackson. Prob better than either of the sox corners

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:20 am

Chi-kid wrote:'m a little surprised that spring training camps are opening up and there are still a fair number of decent unsigned free agents.

No idea what they are asking for but it's possible they are pricing themselves out of the market. I agree in Austin Jackson. Prob better than either of the sox corners

KW is probably counting on newly acquired (off waivers) OF Daniel Fields and his career .333 major league batting average (1 for 3). Rolling Eyes
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:40 am

Chi-kid wrote:

Jackson turned down a $ 5 mil, one year deal with the Angels, so the original hunch of a $ 5-6 mil per year for two years might work. 
    Sox have made genuine improvements at 3b, 2b and probably Catcher.  They've taken  half-measures at SS with Rollins and at starting pitcher with Latos.  LF is still weak but with Melky owed another $ 28 mil, have to keep biting the bullet with him. RF and DH remain problems.   Jackson could solve both problems by taking over the RF job and turning DH into a LaRoche/Garcia platoon.  With an estimated payroll of $ 121 mil already, it seems silly not to spend the extra $ 5 mil to give the team the best shot possible at doing something meaningful this year.  Chris Sale isn't getting any younger.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:43 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:"Close but no cigar."  Victorino signs with the Cubs.

After the Cubs snatched up Dexter Fowler to start.  Victorino is nothing more than JB Schuck these days. A fourth or fifth outfielder.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:09 pm