Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

OH BOY!!!---Bobby will have a fit

sox55
    Roof Shot

OH BOY!!!---Bobby will have a fit

Post by sox55 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Click here: Carlos Rodon the key for resurgent White Sox | whitesox.com
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Re: OH BOY!!!---Bobby will have a fit

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:02 pm

sox55 wrote:Click here: Carlos Rodon the key for resurgent White Sox | whitesox.com

These house publications are like Pravda.  No question that Rodon has great upside.  Whether he puts
    it all together in 2016 with his control and his changeup is another matter. Most predictors see him
    in the high 3.00's ERA, which is very good for a # 3 starter.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:03 pm

I have not said one word about the coming season.

Unlike you, I am not a cheerleader looking under rocks for any glimmer of hope in some article.

I can see things with my own eyes when the games are played.

I do not need hype.

You were the guy who would not believe the Sox were out of the race last June when they were LAST in offense and LAST in defense.  Guess what????
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:05 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    sox55 wrote:Click here: Carlos Rodon the key for resurgent White Sox | whitesox.com

These house publications are like Pravda.  No question that Rodon has great upside.  Whether he puts
    it all together in 2016 with his control and his changeup is another matter. Most predictors see him
    in the high 3.00's ERA, which is very good for a # 3 starter.
    Nothing sinks in unless somebody wants it to sink in.  Remember, this was the guy who thought Beckham should play LF and concentrate on POWER.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:07 pm

LEAD THE CHEERS!!!!!!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Hey, it's nice to see at least a little bit of positive media spin surrounding the sox.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:24 pm

PECOTA HAS THE SOX WINNING 82 GAMES

USUALLY THIS OVERBLOWN, OVERRATED ABACUS HAS THE SOX WELL UNDER 500

GUESS THIS MEANS THE SOX WIN 95 THIS YEAR
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:Hey, it's nice to see at least a little bit of positive media spin surrounding the sox.
    The "media" outlet here is the WHITE SOX WEB SITE!!!

Our cheerleader always on the alert for any positive spin after running around retail stores with Howie checking for White Sox merchandise!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:27 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:PECOTA HAS THE SOX WINNING 82 GAMES

Haven't used or seen this PECOTA system for a while.. There are things that PECOTA, WAR,
    or whatever system don't see. Like the 2005 Sox winning 99 games out of the blue with
    everyone performing like Holy Water was sprinkled on them.
    That could happen to the Sox or any team for that matter.  But you always start with
    where a team has been and what could make them better or worse.   Sox's core
    four (Sale, Quintana, Abreu and Eaton) have all been solid but they the team has still
    won only 73 and 76 with them.   This year's adds (Rodon full season, Frazier,
    Lawrie, Latos, catchers) plus step-ups by Garcia, Cabrera and LaRoche could bump up
    10-12 wins which makes the Sox a contenda !  Hell, if 2005's miracles come back
    they could add 15-20 wins.
    But there's another side.   Sox really weren't as good as 76 wins last year since their
    Pythag wins were only 72. So even 10-12 wins of real improvement may not be enough.
    LaRoche, Cabrera, and Garcia are likely to hit better but I don't see how their lousy defense
    suddenly gets cured. Latos may break down after 150 IP.  Not only are the rosy predictions
    based on things like Rodon improving, Frazier hitting 25-30 HR's, etc. but everyone in the core
    4 performing like always and staying healthy.  May not happen. Sox are thin on depth so any
    injuries or falldown by key players can play real havoc.  So a prediction of 77 - 81 wins
    is not outlandish either. 
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:54 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Haven't used or seen this PECOTA system for a while.. There are things that PECOTA, WAR,
    or whatever system don't see. Like the 2005 Sox winning 99 games out of the blue with
    That could happen to the Sox or any team for that matter.  But you always start with
    four (Sale, Quintana, Abreu and Eaton) have all been solid but they the team has still
    Lawrie, Latos, catchers) plus step-ups by Garcia, Cabrera and LaRoche could bump up
    But there's another side.   Sox really weren't as good as 76 wins last year since their
    Pythag wins were only 72. So even 10-12 wins of real improvement may not be enough.
    LaRoche, Cabrera, and Garcia are likely to hit better but I don't see how their lousy defense
    suddenly gets cured. Latos may break down after 150 IP.  Not only are the rosy predictions
    based on things like Rodon improving, Frazier hitting 25-30 HR's, etc. but everyone in the core
    4 performing like always and staying healthy.  May not happen. Sox are thin on depth so any
    injuries or falldown by key players can play real havoc.  So a prediction of 77 - 81 wins

Aw, fuckin' A.  thanks for ruining my fanboy buzz.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:49 pm

There's at least 2 months before reality can kill any buzz.  Maybe more depending on
    how the Sox start the year...

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:52 am

rmapasad wrote:

There's at least 2 months before reality can kill any buzz.  Maybe more depending on

1)  SOMEBODY BETTER CHECK ON CREAM BECAUSE I AM AGREEING WITH MR ROBZ FOR THE 2ND TIME IN 2 DAYS

2)  SOUNDS LIKE ROGER IS FINALLY ADMITTING THE KARK IS 100% CORRECT ABOUT APRIL 30TH AND THE WHITE SOX

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:53 am

rmapasad wrote:
    Mark the CPA wrote:PECOTA HAS THE SOX WINNING 82 GAMES

BELIEVE!!!
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:13 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

1)  SOMEBODY BETTER CHECK ON CREAM BECAUSE I AM AGREEING WITH MR ROBZ FOR THE 2ND TIME IN 2 DAYS

2)  SOUNDS LIKE ROGER IS FINALLY ADMITTING THE KARK IS 100% CORRECT ABOUT APRIL 30TH AND THE WHITE SOX

it's just that it has fucking, truly sucked to be a Sox fan in the recent years.  By the end of April any excitement for the season is gone and all that matters to me is how my own kid's team is doing.  Finally, some shmucky stat system gives us the potential for 90 wins and Roger goes and ruins it with a dose of statistical reality.  Couldn't just let us live in some kind of ideal world for a few weeks....

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:21 pm

I'D HARDLY CALL ROGERS GLOOM AND DOOM A STATISTICAL REALITY.

BTW, 90 WINS WAS THE KARK'S SARCASM AT HOW ALL THESE SOCALLED SYSTEMS TEND TO UNDER RATE THE WHITE SOX.

PS, NICE OF YOU TO NOTICE ROGERS NASTY OBSESSION OF TRYING TO CORRECT EVEYBODY WITH CHERRY PICKED STATS
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:02 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:
    BTW, 90 WINS WAS THE KARK'S SARCASM AT HOW ALL THESE SOCALLED SYSTEMS TEND TO UNDER RATE THE WHITE SOX.
    Not sure it was discussed here, but the USA Today projections had the Cubs with 101 and St. Louis with 97.  Had the Sox I think tied with the next highest win total at 90.  I assumed that was where the 90 wins number came from - did not see Pecota.

I can see the Cards and Cubs tied with wins at about 97-98.  I have a hard time imagining the Sox with more than 84 or so.  I would be very happily surprised if they really do win the Central, let alone be near the top in overall wins.

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:51 pm

BELIEVE!!!
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:41 pm

I have to spend more time on the White Sox website!!!

SPANK THE MONKEY!!

BELIEVE!!!

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:03 pm

I can see the Cards and Cubs tied with wins at about 97-98.  

I can see the Cubs dipping to 85 wins. Lester is a year older as is lackey, and Arrieta had a career year last year. Best ever. At what, 30? 29?  Is that his norm? Or were the preceding 8 yrs the norm? Also, no guarantee Baez, Russell etc don't take a step back, before taking steps forward. We'll see. Should be interesting. 
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:18 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:I'D HARDLY CALL ROGERS GLOOM AND DOOM A STATISTICAL REALITY.

PS, NICE OF YOU TO NOTICE ROGERS NASTY OBSESSION OF TRYING TO CORRECT EVEYBODY WITH CHERRY PICKED STATS

"All" these systems tend to underrate the Sox when one of them is calling for them to win the AL Central with 90+ wins ?
    What's this paranoia about ?  There were writers last year who were touting the Sox as a contender, and you dissed the few (like
    Fangraphs) who predicted 78-80 wins.  Yet, Fangraphs was pretty dead on target.

Here is the statistical reality.  Sox have won 73 games in 2014 with Sale, Quintana, Abreu, Eaton having great years,
    and they won 76 games in 2015 with those same four having good years plus Robertson.   What turns them into a 90 game
    winner ?  Quite simply, 1) the big five just noted stay healthy and at the same productivity  2) Frazier hits .260+ with 25 HR's
    3) Lawrie hits .250+ with 15-20 HR's  4) Garcia stops being a moron  5) LaRoche hits 20+ with at least a .230 average
    6) Rodon pitches mid 3.00's ball   7) Latos throws 180 IP with an under 4.20 ERA.

All of the above could happen but expecting it is the stuff of Fanboys.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:01 am

rmapasad wrote:
    Mark the CPA wrote:I'D HARDLY CALL ROGERS GLOOM AND DOOM A STATISTICAL REALITY.

"All" these systems tend to underrate the Sox when one of them is calling for them to win the AL Central with 90+ wins ?
    What's this paranoia about ?  There were writers last year who were touting the Sox as a contender, and you dissed the few (like
    Fangraphs) who predicted 78-80 wins.  Yet, Fangraphs was pretty dead on target.

Here is the statistical reality.  Sox have won 73 games in 2014 with Sale, Quintana, Abreu, Eaton having great years,
    and they won 76 games in 2015 with those same four having good years plus Robertson.   What turns them into a 90 game
    winner ?  Quite simply, 1) the big five just noted stay healthy and at the same productivity  2) Frazier hits .260+ with 25 HR's
    3) Lawrie hits .250+ with 15-20 HR's  4) Garcia stops being a moron  5) LaRoche gets traded for a twelve pack of Summer Shandy
    6) Rodon pitches mid 3.00's ball   7) Latos throws 180 IP with an under 4.20 ERA.

Fixed it for you Roger!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:49 am

a wrote:
    "3) Lawrie hits .250+ with 15-20 HR's  4) Garcia stops being a moron  5) LaRoche gets traded for a twelve pack of Summer Shandy

Fixed it for you Roger!
    Laughing Laughing  Agreed.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:39 am

rmapasad wrote:
    a wrote:
    "3) Lawrie hits .250+ with 15-20 HR's  4) Garcia stops being a moron  5) LaRoche gets traded for a twelve pack of Summer Shandy

Fixed it for you Roger!
    Ick.  Agree with the sentiment but a 12 pack of summer lemonade beer will last 12 summers in my house.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:03 am

jaywit wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    a wrote:

Fixed it for you Roger!
    Ick.  Agree with the sentiment but a 12 pack of summer lemonade beer will last 12 summers in my house.

It still beats seeing LaOaf in the on deck circle.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:29 am

jaywit wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    a wrote:

Fixed it for you Roger!
    I was going to say that it would turn bad by then, but can it get any worse?

I imagine that it might be good as a drain cleaner, but it might eat out your pipes.  There may also be some environmental law against pouring it down the sewer.  It's best to check first.  The stuff might be harder to get rid of than Adam LaRoche. pale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:39 pm