Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

TRADE SOME MIDDLE RELIEF

TRADE SOME MIDDLE RELIEF

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:26 am

UNLESS THE WHITE SOX ARE PLANNING A 14 MAN BULLPEN, CAN'T SEE HOW SOME OF THESE GUYS, LIKE JAKE PETRICKA OR ZACH PUTNAM OR DANIEL WEBB, MAKE THE TEAM.

THE WHITE SOX ARE OVERLOADED WITH MIDDLE RELIEF.  I WOULD THINK SOME OF THAT COULD BE PACKAGED FOR SOME HITTING
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Re: TRADE SOME MIDDLE RELIEF

Post by rmapasad on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:46 am

UNLESS THE WHITE SOX ARE PLANNING A 14 MAN BULLPEN, CAN'T SEE HOW SOME OF THESE GUYS, LIKE JAKE PETRICKA OR ZACH PUTNAM OR DANIEL WEBB, MAKE THE TEAM.
    THE WHITE SOX ARE OVERLOADED WITH MIDDLE RELIEF.  I WOULD THINK SOME OF THAT COULD BE PACKAGED FOR SOME HITTING  >>

Royals showed the value of having a good bullpen, but Sox are overloaded with mediocre relievers.  Packaging all three of the above guys together won't command much in trade value as nearly every team has relievers of comparable mediocrity.

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:57 am

BLAH BLAH BLAH

THE WHITE SOX ARE FILLED WITH UNTRADEABLE PLAYERS

BLAH BLAH BLAH

USING YOUR LOGIC, THE SOX NEVER WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO TRADE FOR FRAZIER

BTW, I FAIL TO SEE WHAT THE ROYALS HAVE TO DO WITH THE SOX RELIEF GLUT

BUT I GUESS YOU HAD TO SAY SOMETHING IN ORDER TO DELIBERATELY DISAGREE WITH THE KARK
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:07 am

LET'S GET TO GLENSDALE!!

Maybe we can chat up Chuck Garfien about the coming season!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:07 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:BLAH BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH BLAH

BUT I GUESS YOU HAD TO SAY SOMETHING IN ORDER TO DELIBERATELY DISAGREE WITH THE KARK

Sox were able to trade for Frazier because they gave up their # 2 prospect, Montas, who can throw 100 mph. Sox's middle relievers don't have that kind of stuff.  Petricka and Putnam are average relievers and Webb at 6.20 ERA was a disaster.    Petricka and Putnam, as average relievers, are useful and some clubs might want them.  But not to the point where they'd give up a great deal.  Besides the Sox still need guys like that to eat up relief innings too. So they might as well keep them.

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:29 am

You can barely get a dinner at Denny's for a closer. Set up men will get biscuits and gravy at the Granny Clampett's house.

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:38 pm

Chi-kid wrote:You can barely get a dinner at Denny's for a closer. Set up men will get biscuits and gravy at the Granny Clampett's house.

GEEZ,

NEVER MEANT TO SUGGEST A HANDFUL OF JAKE PETRICKA's COULD GET YOU A AARON JUDGE OR ALEX JOHNSON.

BUT THEN, THE PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD HAVE A NASTY HABIT OF JUST SKIPPING OVER THE 23, 24 AND 25TH MAN.

YES, THE LAST GUY OR THREE ON THE BENCH ARE GOING TO SUCK.  ITS JUST A QUESTION OF WHAT KIND OF SUCKAGE WILL IT BE.

ON THE FLIP SIDE, MR 25 CAN USUALLY DO ONE THING WELL, LIKE RUN OR PLAY DEFENSE OR EXTREME VERSITALITY.

THE ZACH PUTNAM's OF THE WORLD WILL ALWAYS BE WORTH THE BRENT LILLIBRIDGE's OF THE WORLD.

ON A TEAM THAT IS SUPPOSE TO BE PITCHING STRONG AND HITTING WEAK, I'D BE LOOKING AT SOME "O" OFF THE BENCH INSTEAD OF A 13 MAN PEN

BTW, JUST HOW THE HELL IS THE BULLPEN BURNT OUT BY JULY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?  40 INNINGS BURNS YOU OUT?!?!?!?!?!?

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:43 pm

THE ZACH PUTNAM's OF THE WORLD WILL ALWAYS BE WORTH THE BRENT LILLIBRIDGE's OF THE WORLD.

Teams grow their own middle relievers, or sign them as free agents for pennies on the dollar, you know that. Occasionally, at the trade deadline, teams will give you an "A" ball or Quad A guy for bullpen help, but most of these guys are failed starters who can get thru a lineup at least once. Even closers tend to be home grown - except if your Houston and give good prospects for the Phillies closer - I'd love to see a 11 man bullpen and stop this, to steal John's term, "LaRussa ball".

Jayson Stark wrote a good article in this month's Baseball America about getting rid of the save, and using relief pitchers the right way, many of which are ways you have mentioned before - use the closer (or best reliever) when the game is on the line no matter the inning. He promoted "relief points" and not saves, as a way of valuing a pitcher. He, like you, thinks its stupid to save your best reliever for the 9th when the game could be lost in the 8th. He also knows nobody is going to listen to him in the near future, until the culture changes and a manager starts using his guy that way.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:52 pm

Jayson Stark wrote a good article in this month's Baseball America about getting rid of the save, and using relief pitchers the right way, many of which are ways you have mentioned before - use the closer (or best reliever) when the game is on the line no matter the inning. He promoted "relief points" and not saves, as a way of valuing a pitcher. He, like you, thinks its stupid to save your best reliever for the 9th when the game could be lost in the 8th. He also knows nobody is going to listen to him in the near future, until the culture changes and a manager starts using his guy that way. >
    The whole Closer Cult is tied to big personalities like Gossage and Fingers that got it started, and then guys like Sutter, Smith, Eckersly, Hoffman, Rivera took it to the next level..
    Funny how up until mid 70's teams did pretty much what you described - variety of relievers, maybe 4-5 different guys got Saves on a team..  League leaders usually had only 20-25 Saves instead of the 40-50 they have for last few decades.
    A few years back, when Bill James was with the Red Sox he tried to bring back the "Closer by Committee" concept, and that bombed.  White Sox also tried that (sorta) in 2014 when they traded away Addison Reed, and we all know how that experiment went (Bellasario, Putnam, etc,) which is why Robertson got signed in 2015. Most Managers still believe in "closer mentality" and think swaggering self-confidence is essential.  In fact, being a cocky douchebag (like Papelbon or John Rocker) is often seen as a plus for the job.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:32 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:BLAH BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Sox were able to trade for Frazier because they gave up their # 2 prospect, Montas, who can throw 100 mph. Sox's middle relievers don't have that kind of stuff.  Petricka and Putnam are average relievers and Webb at 6.20 ERA was a disaster.    Petricka and Putnam, as average relievers, are useful and some clubs might want them.  But not to the point where they'd give up a great deal.  Besides the Sox still need guys like that to eat up relief innings too. So they might as well keep them.

Montas just had a rib removed.  I wonder if KW knew there was a problem, ala Sirotka.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:38 pm

Montas just had a rib removed.  I wonder if KW knew there was a problem, ala Sirotka. >>
    Ugh.. that little piece of news is just what a Dodger fan needs to hear. 

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:12 pm

rmapasad wrote:Montas just had a rib removed.  I wonder if KW knew there was a problem, ala Sirotka. >>
    Ugh.. that little piece of news is just what a Dodger fan needs to hear. 

Ah, Roger, don't fret.  You still have Trayce Thompson. sunny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:36 pm