Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Jimmy Rollins?

Re: Jimmy Rollins?

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:08 pm

Did the Sox have any stars in the 20s and 30s?  Didn't they fall into a 2+ decade long abyss after the scandal?

Dickie Kerr - before he quit b/c Comiskey wouldn't pay him a living wage ..and in the 30s, Ted Lyons, Al Simmons (Polack) and Luke Appling - all HOFers.. Teams still sucked tho

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:42 pm

alohafri wrote:
    TeleFrank wrote:Didn't the Sox have a Rollins who was one of their "star" players back in the 20's or 30's. He's still playing ?

Henry Rollins? Oh, wait, he was with Black Flag.

The roach killer?

There's the roll ins and the roll outs. clown

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:30 am

alohafri wrote:
    Mark the CPA wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Mark the CPA wrote:STATISTICS SHOW THAT PLAYERS TEND TO HAVE A FINAL HURRAH SEASON AROUND AGE 37

THE AGE JIMMY ROLLINS IS NOW

I WOULD SAY JIMMY ROLLINS AT 85% PEAK VALUE IS A HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN A SALADINO AND DEFINITELY BETTER THAN THE GLOVE IMPAIRED DESMOND.

GREAT MOVE BY THE WHITE SOX.

Bet you a Summer Shandy that he is gone by June.

THE POPE TOLD ME GAMBLING IS A SIN

Obviously when the Pope called you he got a wrong number. Gambling is not a sin when done in moderation when it doesn't negatively affect other people. Same as drinking.

WHO SAID HE CALLED?!?!?!?

THE KARK WAS THE SUPER SUPER SECRET MEETING RIGHT AFTER HE SAW KIM DAVIS

SHAME HE'D DIDN'T FOLLW MY ADVICE

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:33 am

Players sometimes have that one hurrah season anywhere from ages 33 to 40

He's DONE - put a fork in him. Not only is he old and can't hit, he is changing leagues, and even tho you don't think that's a big deal, name me a NL who came over to the AL not named Miguel, who had a good first year in the league?  How'd Sandoval do last year?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:45 am

Chi-kid wrote:Players sometimes have that one hurrah season anywhere from ages 33 to 40

He's DONE - put a fork in him. Not only is he old and can't hit, he is changing leagues, and even tho you don't think that's a big deal, name me a NL who came over to the AL not named Miguel, who had a good first year in the league?  How'd Sandoval do last year?

He became The Fondue Panda... Shocked
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:52 am

Chi-kid wrote:Players sometimes have that one hurrah season anywhere from ages 33 to 40

He's DONE - put a fork in him. 

I think he's seen enough forks.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:12 am

Mark the CPA wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    Mark the CPA wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    Mark the CPA wrote:STATISTICS SHOW THAT PLAYERS TEND TO HAVE A FINAL HURRAH SEASON AROUND AGE 37

What statistic is that?

A BILL JAMES SUDY FROM I BELIEVE THE 1986 ABSTRACT

Players sometimes have that one hurrah season anywhere from ages 33 to 40 but don't recall any magic age for that.
    Most of the time it's, ages 34-35.  Took a quick look at the age 37 seasons of the last dozen Hall of Fame middle infielders
    Of those, only 2 (Biggio and Ozzie Smith) had age 37 seasons that anywhere resembled their old selves.   At age 37 both
    Fox and Sandberg' had dud years that finished their careers. Morgan, Larkin, and Rizzuto got hurt and played 1/2 seasons. 
    Schoendienst, Aparacio, Ripken, and Reese at age 37 took nosedives that signaled they were on the way out. 
    Alomar crashed and burned so badly with the Sox at age 36 that he didn't even get an age 37 season. If Alomar, who was a much
    better hitter than Rollins ever was, couldn't get any more AB's after his age 36 cliffdive then why should Rollins ?
    The only logic is that the Sox basically hired him to tutor Tim Anderson during Spring Training. 

MORE HATE BY NUMBERS

THE KARKS CHOOSES TO BELIEVE IN BILL JAMES AND THE WHITE SOX

2016 IS WHEN WE TAKE OUR TITLE AND CITY BACK

I truly doubt Bill James ever said age 37 was a great rebound year.  A quick look at baseball history would debunk that idea. Rollins had his bounceback year in 2014 at age 35.  After seeing Rollins play a lot last year, I agree with the other 29 clubs who decided that it was time for Jimmy to explore his next career.

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:48 pm

ITS IN THE BASEBALL ABSTRACT THAT HAD THE STUDY CLAIMING 27 IS THE PEAK YEAR.  IN FACT, ITS FROM THE SAME STUDY

GOOGLE IT

OR FIND A COPY OF IT ON EBAY

THE KARK DOESN'T INVENT LIES.

SILLY FANBOY PROPAGANDA MAYBE

LIES, NEVER!!!!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:31 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:ITS IN THE BASEBALL ABSTRACT THAT HAD THE STUDY CLAIMING 27 IS THE PEAK YEAR.  IN FACT, ITS FROM THE SAME STUDY

GOOGLE IT

LIES, NEVER!!!!!!
    Here is all I could find:
    "- When Bill James originally took up this question, he suggested that players generally peak earlier than is generally thought, and decline more rapidly than is generally thought. The good players do peak around 29, and those are the players about whom we first think. The great unwashed mass of players peak earlier."
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:25 pm

Saw the usual article in the Trib today that the idiots among Sox Fans will love.

Of course, Rollins is supposed to be a MENTOR!!!

Well, then, hire him as a COACH.

All of this simpleton bullshit such as these players are going to act like coaches instead of players makes the Fanboy juices flow!!

One big Little League team!!!

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:34 am

Of course, Rollins is supposed to be a MENTOR!!!

Few professional athletes know or care to admit, when they are done. So to think that they are going to "help" their replacement take their job is ludicrous. I've always thought most of these guys are exactly like DiMaggio was to Mantle - didn't even acknowledge his existence or give him the time of day - Mantle was competition to him and he hated him for it.
    This was a cheap signing for appearances only. Personally, I'd rather see a Saladino out there busting his ass trying, then to see Rollins going thru the motions - let's hope Ventura is smart enough not to have him leadoff.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:52 am

rmapasad wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:ITS IN THE BASEBALL ABSTRACT THAT HAD THE STUDY CLAIMING 27 IS THE PEAK YEAR.  IN FACT, ITS FROM THE SAME STUDY

GOOGLE IT

LIES, NEVER!!!!!!
    "- When Bill James originally took up this question, he suggested that players generally peak earlier than is generally thought, and decline more rapidly than is generally thought. The good players do peak around 29, and those are the players about whom we first think. The great unwashed mass of players peak earlier."

WELL ROGER

I KNOW WHAT I'VE READ.  AND FORTUNATELY, I BELIEVE I STILL HAVE ALL THE BILL JAMES ABSTRACTS FROM THE 80'S SOMEWHERE IN THE BASEMENT.

UNFORTUNATELY, THE BASEMENT IS A COLLAGE OF CLUTTERED CHAOS.

FORTUNATELY, THE LITTLE WOMAN IS ON ME

TO ORGANIZE THE BASEMENT.

ONCE I DO, I WILL SITE THE BOOK AND PAGE NUMBER.  AGAIN, I KNOW WHAT I'VE READ.

PS, ALL YOUR ARGUMENTS AGAINST THE AGE 37 LAST HURRAH YEAR ALSO APPLY TO THE PEAK 27 CAREER YEAR.  THE 2 GREATEST 2B'S I'VE EVER SEEN IN CHICAGO, SANDBERG AND BECKHAM, SUCKED AT 27.  THEN THROW IN THE MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL PLAYERS THAT NEVER MADE IT AND WERE IN THEIR NEW CAREER AT 27.  DIDN'T BILLY BEANE JOIN THE A'S FRONT OFFICE AT 27?  YET SOMEHOW AGE 27 IS CITED AS GOSPEL TODAY
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:03 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

GOOGLE IT

LIES, NEVER!!!!!!

WELL ROGER

I KNOW WHAT I'VE READ.  AND FORTUNATELY, I BELIEVE I STILL HAVE ALL THE BILL JAMES ABSTRACTS FROM THE 80'S SOMEWHERE IN THE BASEMENT.

UNFORTUNATELY, THE BASEMENT IS A COLLAGE OF CLUTTERED CHAOS.

FORTUNATELY, THE LITTLE WOMAN IS ON ME

TO ORGANIZE THE BASEMENT.

ONCE I DO, I WILL SITE THE BOOK AND PAGE NUMBER.  AGAIN, I KNOW WHAT I'VE READ.

PS, ALL YOUR ARGUMENTS AGAINST THE AGE 37 LAST HURRAH YEAR ALSO APPLY TO THE PEAK 27 CAREER YEAR.  THE 2 GREATEST 2B'S I'VE EVER SEEN IN CHICAGO, SANDBERG AND BECKHAM, SUCKED AT 27.  THEN THROW IN THE MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF PROFESSIONAL BASEBALL PLAYERS THAT NEVER MADE IT AND WERE IN THEIR NEW CAREER AT 27.  DIDN'T BILLY BEANE JOIN THE A'S FRONT OFFICE AT 27?  YET SOMEHOW AGE 27 IS CITED AS GOSPEL TODAY

All you had to do was ask...

http://www.highheatstats.com/2012/04/the-last-hurrah-late-career-revivals/#.Vs3hyN6zpvE
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:31 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    James talked about age 27 being the most frequent year where guys peaked but IIRC he said the true peak period was from ages 26-30.  Then the declines usually started. 
    I wouldn't call Sandberg's 809 OPS at age 27 "sucking". Ryno was really good from ages 24-32 with one bad year at age 26.  No doubt Beckham sucked at age 27. He also sucked at ages 23, 24,25,26 and 28.

There was one guy who did have a solid age 37 season in Chicago and you mentioned him recently - Tony Phillips.  Phillips was an exceptional guy whose career in his 30's was far better than in his 20's.
    Every now and then you do find a reverse aging curve like that. If a guy has shown an ability to still play at as high (or even higher) level from ages 31-35 as he did earlier he may be able to keep going into his late 30's.  If, however, a guy shows clear signs of decline by age 34 (like Rollins, Sandberg, Alomar, or actually most guys) they will likely be finished by ages 36-37.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:57 am

All you had to do was ask...
    http://www.highheatstats.com/2012/04/the-last-hurrah-late-career-revivals/#.Vs3hyN6zpvE >>>

Good that you confirmed Kark's memory.  I am still not sure this is encouraging news for a guy like Rollins, who never reached the heights of most players on that list, who were HOFers.  Guys who were great can decline to merely average (like Morgan did after age 34) and still be useful.  Guys who were only good at their peaks, like Rollins, become subpar liabilities when they decline.  That's what Jimmy was last year.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:58 am

rmapasad wrote:All you had to do was ask...
    http://www.highheatstats.com/2012/04/the-last-hurrah-late-career-revivals/#.Vs3hyN6zpvE >>>

Good that you confirmed Kark's memory.  I am still not sure this is encouraging news for a guy like Rollins, who never reached the heights of most players on that list, who were HOFers.  Guys who were great can decline to merely average (like Morgan did after age 34) and still be useful.  Guys who were only good at their peaks, like Rollins, become subpar liabilities when they decline.  That's what Jimmy was last year.

I think all it does is confirm Kark's memory that there was some kind of study. It certainly doesn't confirm that there is a "rebound" year at 37 years old.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:00 pm

thanks kev

btw, was a year off on sandberg.  guess I should have double checked
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:02 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:thanks kev

btw, was a year off on sandberg.  guess I should have double checked

Actually, if you were going from memory, that wasn't a bad guess on Sandberg. I know how much you follow the Cubs. Wink
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:52 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    James talked about age 27 being the most frequent year where guys peaked but IIRC he said the true peak period was from ages 26-30.  Then the declines usually started. 
    I wouldn't call Sandberg's 809 OPS at age 27 "sucking". Ryno was really good from ages 24-32 with one bad year at age 26.  No doubt Beckham sucked at age 27. He also sucked at ages 23, 24,25,26 and 28.

There was one guy who did have a solid age 37 season in Chicago and you mentioned him recently - Tony Phillips.  Phillips was an exceptional guy whose career in his 30's was far better than in his 20's.
    Every now and then you do find a reverse aging curve like that. If a guy has shown an ability to still play at as high (or even higher) level from ages 31-35 as he did earlier he may be able to keep going into his late 30's.  If, however, a guy shows clear signs of decline by age 34 (like Rollins, Sandberg, Alomar, or actually most guys) they will likely be finished by ages 36-37.
    You're jealous of Gordon!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:44 pm

Shooters Buffet wrote:

T

A lot of people could be jealous of Gordon.  What employer would allow a person to keep his job even though he fumbled it for six straight years ?  Then bring him back literally eight months later for an encore.
    The world does not often reward incompetence so generously.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:48 pm

A lot of people could be jealous of Gordon.  What employer would allow a person to keep his job even though he fumbled it for six straight years ?  Then bring him back literally eight months later for an encore.

Geez, you jumped the gun. Should have saved this post until he comes back as office errand boy and then is named manager.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Shooters Buffet wrote:

Cue Cream with the Sully Beckham comment...

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:23 pm

alohafri wrote:

I think all it does is confirm Kark's memory that there was some kind of study. It certainly doesn't confirm that there is a "rebound" year at 37 years old.

WHEN IT COMES TO THE KARK AND HIS RAH RAH BS, THE BEST THING TO DO IS SIT BACK AND LAUGH

I WANT TO SAY IT WAS WRESTLEMANIA 2012, NOT SURE IF KEVIN WAS THERE, BUT MY FRIEND GLENN ASK WHAT I THOUGHT THE WHITE SOX WOULD DO THAT YEAR.  WITH A STRAIGHT FACE, AND SOUNDING FULL OF CONFIDENT, AND WITHOUT HESITATION, THE KARK BLURTS OUT 95 WINS.

WHEN IT COMES TO RAH RAH BS, NOBODY IS CLOSE TO THE KARK IN TAKING AN OUNCE OF TRUTH AND TURNING IT INTO 20 LBS OF BS

SO AGAIN, WHEN THE KARK IS RAH RAH MODE, SIT BACK, LAUGH, AND REMEMBER A FEW LINES THAT ARE SURE TO PISS OFF CUB FANS

BUT MOST OF ALL

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:26 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Shooters Buffet wrote:

T

IN OTHER WORDS, IF YOU CAN'T PLAY BASEBALL, GO INTO POLITICS

LMAO!!!!!!

BTW, TODAY I HAD TO REMIND SOME CUB FANS THAT IN CHICAGO, PLAYOFF APPEARANCE TEND TO ALTERNATE BETWEEN THE NORTH AND SOUTH SIDE OF TOWN.

AND CAN ANYBODY GUESS WHAT THE YEARS 1985, 1990, 1999, 2004, 2009 HAVE IN COMMON?!?!?!?!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:29 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

WHEN IT COMES TO THE KARK AND HIS RAH RAH BS, THE BEST THING TO DO IS SIT BACK AND LAUGH

I WANT TO SAY IT WAS WRESTLEMANIA 2012, NOT SURE IF KEVIN WAS THERE, BUT MY FRIEND GLENN ASK WHAT I THOUGHT THE WHITE SOX WOULD DO THAT YEAR.  WITH A STRAIGHT FACE, AND SOUNDING FULL OF CONFIDENT, AND WITHOUT HESITATION, THE KARK BLURTS OUT 95 WINS.

WHEN IT COMES TO RAH RAH BS, NOBODY IS CLOSE TO THE KARK IN TAKING AN OUNCE OF TRUTH AND TURNING IT INTO 20 LBS OF BS

SO AGAIN, WHEN THE KARK IS RAH RAH MODE, SIT BACK, LAUGH, AND REMEMBER A FEW LINES THAT ARE SURE TO PISS OFF CUB FANS

BUT MOST OF ALL

I can't remember if I was there or not. I know I've only missed one since you started hosting. Maybe that was the one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:51 am