Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Jimmy Rollins?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Jimmy Rollins?

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:52 pm

It would be so Reinsdorfian to sign on the cheap a once great player at the tail end of his career.  It has happened before, time and again.  Can Rollins still hit?  Does he still have enough range to play shortstop?  Does any of this really matter to the Chairman if the price is right, i.e., slight?
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Jimmy Rollins?

Post by jaywit on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:56 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:It would be so Reinsdorfian to sign on the cheap a once great player at the tail end of his career.  It has happened before, time and again.  Can Rollins still hit?  Does he still have enough range to play shortstop?  Does any of this really matter to the Chairman if the price is right, i.e., slight?

WTF?  Is there a desire among the Carltons, Seavers, Koosmans, Ramirez's, Griffey juniors to form and enlarge their own group?
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:38 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:It would be so Reinsdorfian to sign on the cheap a once great player at the tail end of his career.  It has happened before, time and again.  Can Rollins still hit?  Does he still have enough range to play shortstop?  Does any of this really matter to the Chairman if the price is right, i.e., slight?

Rollins' hitting was terrible last year with the Dodgers.  He can still play OK defense at SS.  Interesting to see if Sox follow the example of a lot of teams who think it's safer to go with a bigger name vet even though the reality is there's not much difference between what aRollins and Saladino would do.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:19 pm

When you have no farm system and throw shit at the wall every Winter and call it WIN NOW, every available player is in play for acquisition.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:24 pm

rmapasad wrote:

Rollins' hitting was terrible last year with the Dodgers.  He can still play OK defense at SS.  Interesting to see if Sox follow the example of a lot of teams who think it's safer to go with a bigger name vet even though the reality is there's not much difference between what aRollins and Saladino would do.

Reportedly, Jimmy Rollins in getting interest from a few teams that want him to play second base, but he's waiting for an opportunity to continue to play shortstop.  My guess is that the Sox would probably go after Rollins if they could get him for $2-3 million, but he made $9 million last year stinking things up for the Dodgers.  I doubt if he would be willing to take that large of a pay cut in order to have the honor of being the Sox starting shortstop.

Given that Rollins in on the decline, you're probably right that there wouldn't be much difference between him and Saladino.  Saladino will come much cheaper, though, and probably won't bitch as much if he's benched.  A FADING STAR MIGHT JUST TELL THE WHITE SOX WHAT A SHIT ASS ORGANIZATION THEY REALLY ARE.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:51 pm

Win One for the FANBOYS!!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:04 pm

Reinsdorf snatches Jimmy Rollins.  It's like Dante's Inferno.  The Chairman patiently waits until another one falls thru the cracks.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:23 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:Reinsdorf snatches Jimmy Rollins.  It's like Dante's Inferno.  The Chairman patiently waits until another one falls thru the cracks.
    This rules out the Desmond acquisition.   Another half-measure by the owner who specializes in them.

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:45 pm

STATISTICS SHOW THAT PLAYERS TEND TO HAVE A FINAL HURRAH SEASON AROUND AGE 37

THE AGE JIMMY ROLLINS IS NOW

I WOULD SAY JIMMY ROLLINS AT 85% PEAK VALUE IS A HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN A SALADINO AND DEFINITELY BETTER THAN THE GLOVE IMPAIRED DESMOND.

GREAT MOVE BY THE WHITE SOX.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:49 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:STATISTICS SHOW THAT PLAYERS TEND TO HAVE A FINAL HURRAH SEASON AROUND AGE 37

I WOULD SAY JIMMY ROLLINS AT 85% PEAK VALUE IS A HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN A SALADINO AND DEFINITELY BETTER THAN THE GLOVE IMPAIRED DESMOND.

Bet you a Summer Shandy that he is gone by June.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:51 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:STATISTICS SHOW THAT PLAYERS TEND TO HAVE A FINAL HURRAH SEASON AROUND AGE 37

What statistic is that?

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:53 pm

jaywit wrote:

What statistic is that?

A BILL JAMES SUDY FROM I BELIEVE THE 1986 ABSTRACT

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:53 pm

alohafri wrote:

THE POPE TOLD ME GAMBLING IS A SIN
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:20 pm

alohafri wrote:

Ick.  What does the winner get?
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:12 pm

BELIEVE!!
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:19 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

What statistic is that?

Players sometimes have that one hurrah season anywhere from ages 33 to 40 but don't recall any magic age for that.
    Most of the time it's, ages 34-35.  Took a quick look at the age 37 seasons of the last dozen Hall of Fame middle infielders
    Of those, only 2 (Biggio and Ozzie Smith) had age 37 seasons that anywhere resembled their old selves.   At age 37 both
    Fox and Sandberg' had dud years that finished their careers. Morgan, Larkin, and Rizzuto got hurt and played 1/2 seasons. 
    Schoendienst, Aparacio, Ripken, and Reese at age 37 took nosedives that signaled they were on the way out. 
    Alomar crashed and burned so badly with the Sox at age 36 that he didn't even get an age 37 season. If Alomar, who was a much
    better hitter than Rollins ever was, couldn't get any more AB's after his age 36 cliffdive then why should Rollins ?
    The only logic is that the Sox basically hired him to tutor Tim Anderson during Spring Training. 
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:30 pm

Shooters Buffet wrote:BELIEVE!!

PRAY!!!! sunny

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:29 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    Mark the CPA wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

What statistic is that?

Players sometimes have that one hurrah season anywhere from ages 33 to 40 but don't recall any magic age for that.
    Most of the time it's, ages 34-35.  Took a quick look at the age 37 seasons of the last dozen Hall of Fame middle infielders
    Of those, only 2 (Biggio and Ozzie Smith) had age 37 seasons that anywhere resembled their old selves.   At age 37 both
    Fox and Sandberg' had dud years that finished their careers. Morgan, Larkin, and Rizzuto got hurt and played 1/2 seasons. 
    Schoendienst, Aparacio, Ripken, and Reese at age 37 took nosedives that signaled they were on the way out. 
    Alomar crashed and burned so badly with the Sox at age 36 that he didn't even get an age 37 season. If Alomar, who was a much
    better hitter than Rollins ever was, couldn't get any more AB's after his age 36 cliffdive then why should Rollins ?
    The only logic is that the Sox basically hired him to tutor Tim Anderson during Spring Training. 

MORE HATE BY NUMBERS

THE KARKS CHOOSES TO BELIEVE IN BILL JAMES AND THE WHITE SOX

2016 IS WHEN WE TAKE OUR TITLE AND CITY BACK
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:33 pm

Didn't the Sox have a Rollins who was one of their "star" players back in the 20's or 30's. He's still playing ?
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:34 pm

TeleFrank wrote:Didn't the Sox have a Rollins who was one of their "star" players back in the 20's or 30's. He's still playing ?

Pants Rowland, perhaps?
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:37 pm

TeleFrank wrote:Didn't the Sox have a Rollins who was one of their "star" players back in the 20's or 30's. He's still playing ?

Not thinking of Hall of Famer Eddie Collins, surely.  He was in top 3 in their history, probably.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Henry Rollins? Oh, wait, he was with Black Flag.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Nomads44 wrote:

Not thinking of Hall of Famer Eddie Collins, surely.  He was in top 3 in their history, probably.

Did the Sox have any stars in the 20s and 30s?  Didn't they fall into a 2+ decade long abyss after the scandal?
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Nomads44 wrote:

Shano Collins??
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:41 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

THE POPE TOLD ME GAMBLING IS A SIN

Obviously when the Pope called you he got a wrong number. Gambling is not a sin when done in moderation when it doesn't negatively affect other people. Same as drinking.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:57 am