Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Walk, don't run!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Walk, don't run!

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:50 am

Maikel Cleto is back!  I didn't really miss him.  Perhaps he never really left.  From Rotoworld.com:

"White Sox re-signed RHP Maikel Cleto to a minor league contract. Cleto, 26, held a 3.00 ERA with 61 strikeouts over 51 relief innings at the Triple-A level last season. The hard-thrower has whiffed 58 over 45 frames during his time in the majors but has also walked 30 while posting a 6.60 ERA."
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: Walk, don't run!

Post by alohafri on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:Maikel Cleto is back!  I didn't really miss him.  Perhaps he never really left.  From Rotoworld.com:

"White Sox re-signed RHP Maikel Cleto to a minor league contract. Cleto, 26, held a 3.00 ERA with 61 strikeouts over 51 relief innings at the Triple-A level last season. The hard-thrower has whiffed 58 over 45 frames during his time in the majors but has also walked 30 while posting a 6.60 ERA."

I think I have his rookie card!!!! When I go to sell it, I will likely owe three dollars to the buyer.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:22 pm

alohafri wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:Maikel Cleto is back!  I didn't really miss him.  Perhaps he never really left.  From Rotoworld.com:

I think I have his rookie card!!!! When I go to sell it, I will likely owe three dollars to the buyer.

... which you will gladly pay to have him haul it away. Laughing

I have the 1983 Jerry Dybzinski card, so I know how you feel.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:47 pm

I'd trade him for the price of a good permanent home plate brush the umpires can use when they come to the park.  Try the Braves.  They seem to be taking Sox throw-aways.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Although I do have to say, 58 Ks in 45 innings at the major league level is nothing to sneeze at.  I could see giving him another look at the not-so-prime-time level.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:31 pm

jaywit wrote:

I'd trade him for the price of a good permanent home plate brush the umpires can use when they come to the park.  Try the Braves.  They seem to be taking Sox throw-aways.

If Cleto could ever learn a smidgen of control on his fastball and get his breaking pitches to actually reach home plate on the fly, he may once again make it to the majors.

The good news is that there will likely be no room for Cleto in the Sox bullpen this season.  Even wild man Dan Webb might be out of a job other than getting the rednecks in Charlotte to hoot and holler.

Right now the Sox 7-man pen is full.  Yeah, I know that 7 men are too many, and I'd hate to guess what some of them are full of; but we all know that Cooper is likely to get his way.)  To start the season, the bullpen likely shapes up as such:

David Robertson - closer
    Matt Albers - RH short reliever
    Nate Jones - RH short reliever
    Zach Putnam - RH short reliever
    Jake Petricka - RH short reliever
    Zach Duke - LH short reliever
    Dan Jennings - LH short reliever

Sometime during the season in place of one of their RH short relievers, the Sox would probably want to add a long reliever/spot starter like Justin Turner or Scott Carroll.  They might even consider breaking in Carson Fulmer in that role.

Last edited by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:38 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

If Cleto could ever learn a smidgen of control on his fastball and get his breaking pitches to actually reach home plate on the fly, he may once again make it to the majors.

The good news is that there will likely be no room for Cleto in the Sox bullpen this season.  Even wild man Dan Webb might be out of a job other than getting the rednecks in Charlotte to hoot and holler.

Right now the Sox 7-man pen is full.  Yeah, I know that 7 men are too many, and I'd hate to guess what some of them are full of; but we all know that Cooper is likely to get his way.)  To start the season, the bullpen shapes up as such:

David Robertson - closer

Sometime during the season, the Sox would probably want to add a long reliever/spot starter like Justin Turner or Scott Carroll in place of one of their RH short relievers.  They might even consider breaking in Carson Fulmer in that role.

Relievers are out due to injury more often than offensive linemen in football.  Building up the AAA and AA with arms is always good insurance.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:49 pm

jaywit wrote:
    Relievers are out due to injury more often than offensive linemen in football.  Building up the AAA and AA with arms is always good insurance.

I couldn't agree more, Jay.  I believe the Sox still have RHP Javy Guerra who had a shoulder injury for much of last season and then was suspended due to a drug test in July, which could have been related to his injury.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:01 pm

jaywit wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

Right now the Sox 7-man pen is full.  Yeah, I know that 7 men are too many, and I'd hate to guess what some of them are full of; but we all know that Cooper is likely to get his way.)  To start the season, the bullpen shapes up as such:

David Robertson - closer

Sometime during the season, the Sox would probably want to add a long reliever/spot starter like Justin Turner or Scott Carroll in place of one of their RH short relievers.  They might even consider breaking in Carson Fulmer in that role.

And what does it cost to keep them in AAA and AA? 

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:12 pm

alohafri wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

David Robertson - closer

Well, it probably cost me the shame of getting one of their names wrong: it's Jacob Turner, not Justin Turner (probably a Freudian slip as I considered the current hole at shortstop).

The Sox could probably fill all their minor league rosters for the money that they pay LaRoche and Danks.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:13 pm

alohafri wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

David Robertson - closer

Costs me absolutely nothing unless it's coming out of my tax dollars.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:30 pm

jaywit wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

The State of Illinois can always cut deeper into State pension funds to make sure that the Sox are able to stock their farm system. Wink
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:52 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

The State of Illinois can always cut deeper into State pension funds to make sure that the Sox are able to stock their farm system. Wink

Yeah, Mart, that's the ticket.  Cheapo Sox fans who are Illinois residents need to pitch in more.  Get your accessory to murder mayor to push that through.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:01 pm

jaywit wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Yeah, Mart, that's the ticket.  Cheapo Sox fans who are Illinois residents need to pitch in more.  Get your accessory to murder mayor to push that through.

The way that I look at it, Jay, the ones who seem to complain the most about the Sox sucky farm system are those who have some interest in those public pension funds.  So it would only seem right that they should cough up the money to fix the problem. pirat

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:43 pm

jaywit wrote:Although I do have to say, 58 Ks in 45 innings at the major league level is nothing to sneeze at.  I could see giving him another look at the not-so-prime-time level.

It looks like the Sox have rather quietly picked up a number of wild pitchers with high walk/high strikeout totals.  That might not be a bad idea given that Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson were notorious wild men before they harnessed their control, and then they were "lights outs" for opposing batters.

Some of the "not quite ready for prime time" wild men heading into spring training:

27-year-old Canadian-born (which BTW means that he can never be U.S. President) LHP Phillippe Aumont was a first round draft pick of the Mariners in 2007.  He throws a hard sinker and has bounced up and down with the Phiilies the last 4 years.  His major league totals read 34 walks and 42 strikeouts in 43-2/3 innings with a scary 6.80 ERA.  The Sox signed him as a free agent to a minor league contract last Halloween.

RHP Tommy Kahnle was obtained in a minor trade with Colorado last November.  He's 26 years old and pitched a total of 102 innings for the Rockies the last two seasons walking 59 and striking out 102.  His career ERA is 4.41, which isn't all that bad given his wildness and the fact that he pitched around half his games at Coors Field.  Regressing, he wasn't quite as effective last year though as he was in his rookie season in 2014.

Tall skinny 25-year-old southpaw Will Lamb was drafted in the 2nd round by Texas in 2010.  The Sox got him in a minor deal with the Rangers last December.  Lamb never pitched in the majors.  In five minor league seasons, he has walked 188 and struck out 314 in 342-1/3 innings with a 3.79 ERA.

Well, if these three aren't enough to get the fanboys' juices flowing for the upcoming season, I could probably grab a shovel and dig up some more.  Right now, Kahnle would seem to be the best of the three as an almost legit "fringe" major leaguer.  All three appear to have the talent but lack the control.  If they get that control (most don't), they could be helpful in the future.  BTW, when the Sox obtained Matt Thornton as a 29-year-old in 2006, he had the reputation as a hard throwing wild man; but he harnessed his control and has had a nice long career.

Let's just hope that the Sox don't bring any of these guys to the majors in their wild state.  I hate walks!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Who's the blonde, Mart?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:23 pm

alohafri wrote:Who's the blonde, Mart?

Oh, someone noticed. Smile  I'd like to say my niece, my brother's only child, who was nearly a dead ringer for her back in the 1970's when she (my niece) was one of the finalists for Miss Teen Illinois (or something like that).  But the picture is actually of Gunilla Knudson, Miss Sweden in 1961.  Her biggest claim to fame in the U.S. was probably the following commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpGM_MvZ2Y

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:01 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:

Oh, someone noticed. Smile  I'd like to say my niece, my brother's only child, who was nearly a dead ringer for her back in the 1970's when she (my niece) was one of the finalists for Miss Teen Illinois (or something like that).  But the picture is actually of Gunilla Knudson, Miss Sweden in 1961.  Her biggest claim to fame in the U.S. was probably the following commercial:

Can you imagine a commercial playing "The Stripper" these days?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:14 pm

alohafri wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Can you imagine a commercial playing "The Stripper" these days?

Maybe nothing would happen, or maybe some feminists would go crazy.  Maybe they would have to use Bruce Jenner (or whatever his/her name now is) in Gunilla Knudson's place.

BTW, never try shaving the way that the guy in the commercial did with one of those old style razors.  It brings back some painful memories of my youth. pale

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:14 pm

I believe this was Mart (far too analytical for jay or Kev)

David Robertson - closer

What the Sox really need to consider is dropping the #5 every chance they get and get Sale and Quintana 37 or 38 starts a piece.

They should also consider bringing Robertson in the 8th and have him average 1.5 IP a save.

Ditto their other top relievers.  Target 90 IP instead of 60 IP.

If the team worried about getting the best team on the field as often as possible instead of making sure the stiffs get enough PT, they'd easily win a dozen more games
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:33 pm

Who's the blonde, Mart?

Sniffing again eh?
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:54 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:I believe this was Mart (far too analytical for jay or Kev)

David Robertson - closer

What the Sox really need to consider is dropping the #5 every chance they get and get Sale and Quintana 37 or 38 starts a piece.

They should also consider bringing Robertson in the 8th and have him average 1.5 IP a save.

Ditto their other top relievers.  Target 90 IP instead of 60 IP.

If the team worried about getting the best team on the field as often as possible instead of making sure the stiffs get enough PT, they'd easily win a dozen more games

Definitely too analytical for me.   I'd rather take drum lessons from Cream than try to figure out who's going to be in the Sox bullpen, especially when my vote is hardly asked for.  I'll just continue to throw out my brilliance and let you fight over the details.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:29 pm

I'd rather take drum lessons from Cream

First thing I'd ask is if you can walk and chew gum at the same time. Very Happy

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:12 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

I couldn't agree more, Jay.  I believe the Sox still have RHP Javy Guerra who had a shoulder injury for much of last season and then was suspended due to a drug test in July, which could have been related to his injury.

For the multitude of Javy Guerra fans out there, the Sox don't have Guerra any more.  He just signed a minor league contract with the Angels.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:34 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

For the multitude of Javy Guerra fans out there, the Sox don't have Guerra any more.  He just signed a minor league contract with the Angels.

Ah, crap! Wait. Who?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:08 pm