Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Ethier

jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Ethier

Post by jaywit on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:15 am

5 minute segment on MLB tonight on Sox showing interest in Ethier and Dodgers wanting to trade him and his big salary.  If Sox get him, I can't imagine they want to keep Avi.  With the glut of OFers in LA, can't imagine the Dodgers would want him.  Maybe there's a GM out there who still has high hopes for Avi and a 3-way deal gets sprung.  An Ethier, Eaton, Cabrera outfield doesn't look too bad combining with power at 1st and 3rd and an upgrade at catcher and 2B.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Ethier

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:48 am

Truth be told, 5 minutes is probably about as long as it took the Chairman to look at what the guy is being paid and nix any notion of making him a member of the White Sox.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:09 am

jaywit wrote:5 minute segment on MLB tonight on Sox showing interest in Ethier and Dodgers wanting to trade him and his big salary.  If Sox get him, I can't imagine they want to keep Avi.  With the glut of OFers in LA, can't imagine the Dodgers would want him.  Maybe there's a GM out there who still has high hopes for Avi and a 3-way deal gets sprung.  An Ethier, Eaton, Cabrera outfield doesn't look too bad combining with power at 1st and 3rd and an upgrade at catcher and 2B.

Not sure how much faith to put in these trade rumors.  Ethier had a good 2015, which is why he might have some trade value despite being 34 yrs old and being owed $ 18 mil per year for the next two seasons. 
    Dodgers are still counting on Ethier as a starter in LF this year and he's also the backup for RF in case Puig gets hurt (which happens a lot).  Unless Dodgers believe somehow that if they trade Ethier they can use a Carl Crawford-Trayce Thompson platoon in LF.   Dodgers are enamored of Thompson's "athleticism" and new Dodger Manager Dave Roberts was talking him up like he was the next coming of Clemente or something.  So who knows ?
    But considering this quant-oriented front office LA has now, I gotta believe some analysts are screaming bloody murder about trading Ethier and then turning LF over to a washed-up Carl Crawford and Thompson with his .247 career minor league BA.  Dodgers might still take the risk and trade Ethier.  But   I doubt they'll be willing to eat enough of his remaining salary to suit the cheap-ass Sox.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:44 am

MAYBE DANKS OR LAROUCHE GET THROWN IN TO OFFSET THE SALARY

AS TO JAYS POINT, THE REASON THEY WOULD STILL WANT AVI IS THAT AN ORGANIZATION NEEDS MORE THAN JUST 3 OF's CAPABLE OF PLAYING AT THE MLB LEVEL
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:25 am

rmapasad wrote:
    jaywit wrote:5 minute segment on MLB tonight on Sox showing interest in Ethier and Dodgers wanting to trade him and his big salary.  If Sox get him, I can't imagine they want to keep Avi.  With the glut of OFers in LA, can't imagine the Dodgers would want him.  Maybe there's a GM out there who still has high hopes for Avi and a 3-way deal gets sprung.  An Ethier, Eaton, Cabrera outfield doesn't look too bad combining with power at 1st and 3rd and an upgrade at catcher and 2B.

Not sure how much faith to put in these trade rumors.  Ethier had a good 2015, which is why he might have some trade value despite being 34 yrs old and being owed $ 18 mil per year for the next two seasons. 
    Dodgers are still counting on Ethier as a starter in LF this year and he's also the backup for RF in case Puig gets hurt (which happens a lot).  Unless Dodgers believe somehow that if they trade Ethier they can use a Carl Crawford-Trayce Thompson platoon in LF.   Dodgers are enamored of Thompson's "athleticism" and new Dodger Manager Dave Roberts was talking him up like he was the next coming of Clemente or something.  So who knows ?
    But considering this quant-oriented front office LA has now, I gotta believe some analysts are screaming bloody murder about trading Ethier and then turning LF over to a washed-up Carl Crawford and Thompson with his .247 career minor league BA.  Dodgers might still take the risk and trade Ethier.  But   I doubt they'll be willing to eat enough of his remaining salary to suit the cheap-ass Sox.

I don't think JR is cheap 24/7;  he has been inconsistent with his spending and once in awhile some big bucks will flow (e.g., Dunn).  An aging outfielder seems right up his alley and remains consistent with prior signings of Dunn and last year's ZZ Top look-alike.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:36 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:MAYBE DANKS OR LAROUCHE GET THROWN IN TO OFFSET THE SALARY

AS TO JAYS POINT, THE REASON THEY WOULD STILL WANT AVI IS THAT AN ORGANIZATION NEEDS MORE THAN JUST 3 OF's CAPABLE OF PLAYING AT THE MLB LEVEL

I understand that but don't they still have Shuck?  Besides, Avi's greatest asset to the Sox is in terms of trade-ability based upon unrealized potential.  Maybe there's another GM out there who will buy into the "he's only 24" aspect and the Sox can acquire someone with established quality rather than hoped for quality.  Hang onto him for another year and that potential could be lost forever.  As WC Fields would say, there's a sucker born every minute.  Sox got lucky in finding a sucker with Thompson.  Maybe there's another one waiting to take Avi.

Even though he's 10 years older, I'd be willing to bet that Ethier's numbers for the remainder of his career will be better than Avi's numbers for the remainder of his career.  For that matter, I'd also be willing to bet that Shuck's numbers for the remainder of his career will be about equal to Avi's numbers for the remainder of his career.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:44 am

Yeah, sometimes clubs will swap bad salary guys if the bad salary guy they're getting might be somewhat useful.  But Dodgers would have no use for either LaRoche or Danks (LA already has 4 LHers in the rotation).    LA would much rather trade Carl Crawford than Ethier. They'd probably eat 2/3 of Crawford's
    $ 20 mil per salary to get rid of him.  Don't think even that deal would be worth it for the Sox.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:05 pm

I'd also be willing to bet that Shuck's numbers for the remainder of his career will be about equal to Avi's numbers for the remainder of his career.

Shuck should be given the opportunity to win the RF job in spring training and be the regular right fielder. In his only full season with the Angels, he hit almost .300 and had a good OBP as well. His year was certainly better than any Avi has come close to. The problem is that he is not that fast, and seems to have been labeled 4th outfielder without valid reasoning. I am not saying he is a budding Babe Ruth, but he might be a budding Paul O'Neill

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:06 pm

jaywit wrote:

I understand that but don't they still have Shuck?  Besides, Avi's greatest asset to the Sox is in terms of trade-ability based upon unrealized potential.  Maybe there's another GM out there who will buy into the "he's only 24" aspect and the Sox can acquire someone with established quality rather than hoped for quality.  Hang onto him for another year and that potential could be lost forever.  As WC Fields would say, there's a sucker born every minute.  Sox got lucky in finding a sucker with Thompson.  Maybe there's another one waiting to take Avi.

Even though he's 10 years older, I'd be willing to bet that Ethier's numbers for the remainder of his career will be better than Avi's numbers for the remainder of his career.  For that matter, I'd also be willing to bet that Shuck's numbers for the remainder of his career will be about equal to Avi's numbers for the remainder of his career.

WELL JAY, IF YOU CAN'T HAVE QUALITY; THEN YOU HAVE TO GO WITH QUANTITY....

WHO KNOWS, MAYBE RIDING THE BENCH WILL ENHANCE HIS TRADE VALUE.  PEOPLE WILL SEE HOW GOOD HE LOOKS IN A UNIFORM INSTEAD HOW BAD HE LOOKS IN THE FIELD.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:09 pm

...combining with power at 1st and 3rd....

Here's my concerns with the Frazier trade. Name me the last slugging national leaguer to be traded to, or signed by, an American League team and then have a typical power season - not Dunn, nor LaRoche, not even Pujols.  Josh Hamilton maybe, when he went from the Reds to the Rangers, but he's the only one I can think of.  Consequently, if Frazier turns into the right handed LaRoche, going .235 16 70 for the season, I would not shocked.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:16 pm

Chi-kid wrote: ...combining with power at 1st and 3rd....

Here's my concerns with the Frazier trade. Name me the last slugging national leaguer to be traded to, or signed by, an American League team and then have a typical power season - not Dunn, nor LaRoche, not even Pujols.  Josh Hamilton maybe, when he went from the Reds to the Rangers, but he's the only one I can think of.  Consequently, if Frazier turns into the right handed LaRoche, going .235 16 70 for the season, I would not shocked.

HATER!!!!
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:17 pm

Chi-kid wrote: ...combining with power at 1st and 3rd....

My optimism for the Sox is an ember, not a flame.  Thanks for pissing on my ember with reality.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:33 pm

jaywit wrote:
    I don't think JR is cheap 24/7;  he has been inconsistent with his spending and once in awhile some big bucks will flow (e.g., Dunn).  An aging outfielder seems right up his alley and remains consistent with prior signings of Dunn and last year's ZZ Top look-alike.

Yeah, he's had the Sox see-sawing in payroll rankings for a long time. Sox win and he'll spend more - lose and he pulls back his horns.  Last couple years he's been sulking again - 15th in spending last year and 20th in 2014.   Yet from 2006 through 2013, Sox were top ten in spending pretty consistently .   

But when you consider the Sox are in 3rd largest market in country, even being 5th in league spending (which Sox have only done a handful of times) isn't that impressive.   In fact the Sox averaging 13th in league payroll during the past 20 years is pretty pathetic.  Reinsdorf's big splurge was Albert Belle and when that didn't work out, JR went into full retreat. - bottom 1/2 of league spending almost every year from 1998 to 2004.  By Reinsdorf standards, the Adam Dunn contract was huge, but that was just a mid-size deal for other big market clubs. Here again, JR pulled back when that didn't work out. 

Now after upping spending by $ 20 million in 2015, he's back to nickeling and diming. He lets Hahn trade for two guys who are pretty cheap by today's standards (Frazier is $ 8 mil and Lawrie $ 4 mil) and even their salaries are covered by Alexei's departure.  So that means that in terms of estimated 2016 payroll ranks, Sox are 10th in the AL and 18th overall in the majors.   Another pathetic commentary on Reinsdorf's commitment to this franchise.  He spends like this team is located in Milwaukee.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:50 pm

Reinsdorf's big splurge was Albert Belle and when that didn't work out,

That signing was a spit in the face to his other owners. He lost a pissing contest after a player's strike and wanted to show up the other owners so he signed Belle for an outrageous contract out of proportion to the going rate.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:20 pm

Chi-kidHere's my concerns with the Frazier trade. Name me the last slugging national leaguer to be traded to, or signed by, an American League team and then have a typical power season - not Dunn, nor LaRoche, not even Pujols.  Josh Hamilton maybe, when he went from the Reds to the Rangers, but he's the only one I can think of.  Consequently, if Frazier turns into the right handed LaRoche, going .235 16 70 for the season, I would not shocked.

Regarding the guys you mentioned, I think their falloffs were primarily about getting older not so much because they changed leagues.  Ages 31-33 are really danger zones for tall sluggers ( 6' 3" or more).  In that age range, Pujols dropped 200 pts OPS his last year in St.Louis, LaRoche had a terrible year his first season with the Nationals, Dunn obviously screwed the pooch with the Sox, and Hamilton fell apart after moving from Texas to the Angels.  
    Taller guys have big strike zones to cover, and at ages 31-33 they get more vulnerable Long list of guys like that: Dale Murphy, Dick Stuart, Cecil Fielder, Jay Buhner, Dave Kingman,   Richie Sexson, Cliff Floyd, Ryan Klesko,  Shawn Green, Juan Gonzalez, Daryl Strawberry, Carlos Delgado, Jose Conseco, Vlad Guerrero, Jason Giambi.  Even some good guys who've hung onto until their mid-30's slipped a lot from ages 31-33 (McCovey, Piazza, lately it's been Joe Mauer, Mark Texeira, Miguel Cabrera and of course Pujols).  Sure there are a few greats who managed to have terrific seasons in their mid-late 30's but they're the exceptions (Winfield, Big Hurt, Thome, Chipper Jones, David Ortiz and Mark McGwire although we know why he did).. With this kind of history, the Sox were bucking long odds when they signed a 6'7' Dunn at age 31 and a 6'3" LaRoche at age 35.

Thankfully Frazier doesn't seem to fit that profile - yet.  He's 6' 3"  but only turning 30.    If he has a good year in 2016, the Sox wouldn't be wise to sign him to a long term deal though.

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:27 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Reinsdorf's big splurge was Albert Belle and when that didn't work out,

That signing was a spit in the face to his other owners. He lost a pissing contest after a player's strike and wanted to show up the other owners so he signed Belle for an outrageous contract out of proportion to the going rate.

MEANWHILE ROGER CLEMENS IS BEING CALLED A HAS BEEN BY RON SCHULER.

LET'S SEE, THE 1996 TEAM SET A TEAM RECORD FOR HOME RUNS BUT MISS THE WILDCARD BECAUSE THE 8 PEOPLE THEY TRIED AS THE 5TH STARTER WENT A COMBINE 2-11 WITH AN ERA OF ALMOST 8.

SO WHO DO YOU SIGN

THE PITCHER THAT LEADS THE LEAGUE IN K'S

OR THE HITTER THAT LEADS THE LEAGUE IN RBI?

BTW, YOU ALREADY HAVE A LF WHO WOULD HAVE WON A GOLD GLOVE IF MLB GAVE GOLD GLOVES TO LF'S INSTEAD OF THE TOP 3 CF'S

BTW, THE REST OF THE OWNERS COULDN'T WAIT TO GIVE ALEX FERNANDEZ SERVICE TIME FOR THE STRIKE SO HE COULD QUALIFY FOR FREE AGENCY.

GIVE THE 1997 WHITE SOX A ROTATION HEADED BY CLEMENS AND FERNANDEZ AND 2005 COMES 8 YEARS EARLY

FOR THE RECORD, ALBERT BELLE UNDER PERFORMED SIGNIFICANTLY HIS FIRST YEAR AND A HALF.  1998 IS ALL 2ND HALF.  ONCE IT WAS OBVIOUS THE HOLE WAS SO DEEP, THEY'D NEVER CLIMB OUT OF IT

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:50 pm

The Sox won't have any room for Ethier after they sign Alexei Bell. Cool

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:05 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:The Sox won't have any room for Ethier after they sign Alexei Bell. Cool

LEXI BELLE WOULD MAKE A GREAT BALL GIRL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:46 pm