Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

37 yrs ago

37 yrs ago

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:24 pm

Terry Kath blew his brains out playing with a gun and a great rock and roll band turned into a lounge act overnight.
    One of the great guitar solos is still his on 25 or 6 to 4.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: 37 yrs ago

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:39 am

Terry was amazing. Easily among the top 5 greatest American rock'n'roll guitarists ever. His solos were great but I also loved how his embellishments and background playing added depth and color to the horn dominated songs. Maybe that's what I liked most about him....how he made a song sound better!

And then there was "Free Form Guitar"!  affraid
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:27 am

Chi-kid wrote:Terry Kath blew his brains out playing with a gun and a great rock and roll band turned into a lounge act overnight.

His last album, Chicago XI, was the first Chicago album I heard (my dad would play the 8 track in his car constantly).

After Kath's death, Peter Cetera took more of a controlling role in the band and they became what I like to call a "puss band".
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:31 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:Terry Kath blew his brains out playing with a gun and a great rock and roll band turned into a lounge act overnight.

His last album, Chicago XI, was the first Chicago album I heard (my dad would play the 8 track in his car constantly).

After Kath's death, Peter Cetera took more of a controlling role in the band and they became what I like to call a "puss band".

I most admittedly do not follow the rock band scene down to any of the individuals in the band, but I sure wondered what happened to Chicago when it became one of my favorites to a total non-entity.  Did not realize one of them had offed himself.  What was their biggest hit after Kath was gone?  I have a feeling, though, that I was not a fan all the way through their 11th album, but maybe I was.  I'll have to look up list of songs by album.  37 years ago.  That does not seem possible.

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:32 am

WELL WHICH IS IT?

25?

OR 6 TO 4?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:10 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

I most admittedly do not follow the rock band scene down to any of the individuals in the band, but I sure wondered what happened to Chicago when it became one of my favorites to a total non-entity.  Did not realize one of them had offed himself.  What was their biggest hit after Kath was gone?  I have a feeling, though, that I was not a fan all the way through their 11th album, but maybe I was.  I'll have to look up list of songs by album.  37 years ago.  That does not seem possible.

They were pretty popular on the "pop" charts. "Hard To Say I'm Sorry", "Hard Habit To Break", "You're The Inspiration", "Stay The Night" (a shocking rocker), "Will You Still Love Me", "Look Away". Other than "Stay Teh Night", all of them are what I call "puss songs". 
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:47 pm

Let's not forget "Wishing You Were Here" which included some members of The Beach Boys and I kind of liked in a haunting and mellow stoner sort of way. Then again, Kath was still with them for that one.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:05 pm

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/terry-kath-chicago-songs/
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:23 pm

alohafri wrote:
    They were pretty popular on the "pop" charts. "Hard To Say I'm Sorry", "Hard Habit To Break", "You're The Inspiration", "Stay The Night" (a shocking rocker), "Will You Still Love Me", "Look Away". Other than "Stay Teh Night", all of them are what I call "puss songs". 

Ouch.  Just reading that puss list hurt my brain.  What's said is how many of these were more popular than some of their much stronger, early stuff.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:01 am

Soxillinirob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Ouch.  Just reading that puss list hurt my brain.  What's said is how many of these were more popular than some of their much stronger, early stuff.

Very sad!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:59 am

Cream1953 wrote:Let's not forget "Wishing You Were Here" which included some members of The Beach Boys and I kind of liked in a haunting and mellow stoner sort of way. Then again, Kath was still with them for that one.

No question the 1969-1974 era was "real" Chicago.   Although this was not one of their originals, I liked their version of  Stevie Winwood/Spencer Davis classic "I'm a Man".  The guitar work on that is pretty cool.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:21 am

Indeed Roger....Mr. Kath on guitar. Danny Seraphin wasn't too shabby on drums either. His drum work on "Make Me Smile" stands as one of my alltime favorites. Also incredible vocals by Terry.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:45 pm