Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Catching problem solved

Catching problem solved

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:31 pm

White Sox sign Alex Avila to a one year deal worth $2.5mil

Apparently the White Sox think they can make Avila re-live his fluke year in 2011.

From 2012 on, Avila looks like a lefthanded Tyler Flowers

that said, I would think an Avila-Flowers platoon would push a 750OPS

BTW, Soto is now an Angel, annaheim that is
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Re: Catching problem solved

Post by Nomads44 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:26 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:White Sox sign Alex Avila to a one year deal worth $2.5mil

Apparently the White Sox think they can make Avila re-live his fluke year in 2011.

The one I would like to see brought here to see if he could replace both Avila and Flowers for the full time job is Wilin Rosario.  Not sure what happened, maybe he is another Miguel Olivo in the clubhouse, but Colorado cut him.  He looked like a stud for years to come a couple three years back.  Anyone know what happened there?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:45 pm

At least they signed this experiment for only one year.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Nomads44 wrote:

The one I would like to see brought here to see if he could replace both Avila and Flowers for the full time job is Wilin Rosario.  Not sure what happened, maybe he is another Miguel Olivo in the clubhouse, but Colorado cut him.  He looked like a stud for years to come a couple three years back.  Anyone know what happened there?

I know that Colorado gave up on Rosario as a catcher because of his lousy defense.  He can hit, though.  Last season, the Rockies were trying to make a first baseman out of him.  Perhaps he's not very good there, either.  I'm surprised that they cut him.  He'll probably find a home in the AL as a DH.  I sure wouldn't mind seeing him replace LaRouche.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:36 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:

I know that Colorado gave up on Rosario as a catcher because of his lousy defense.  He can hit, though.  Last season, the Rockies were trying to make a first baseman out of him.  Perhaps he's not very good there, either.  I'm surprised that they cut him.  He'll probably find a home in the AL as a DH.  I sure wouldn't mind seeing him replace LaRouche.
    DH and a 3rd C works for me.  Kark would pee himself with a 3rd catcher on the roster.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:44 pm

Nomads44 wrote:

The Avila portion might.  He's .780 career OPS v. RHers.   Flowers may not hold up his end though.  He only has a .222 career BA/.660 OPS v. LHers which is nearly identical to his career #'s v. RHers.
    However, since 2/3 of a team's AB's come v. RHed pitching it's more important that the LHed side of the platoon hits decently.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:35 pm

REARRANGING THE CHAIRS ON THE TITANIC.....every Winter!!!!

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!

Another WHO THE FUCK CARES ACQUISITION!!!
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:27 am

It is a Sox tradition to sign players coming off injuries. I guess they think there is magic in the air. 
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:56 am

TeleFrank wrote:It is a Sox tradition to sign players coming off injuries. I guess they think there is magic in the air. 

How much "magic" Avila creates depends on how close he can come to his 2011 season (19 HR's, .295 BA). He hasn't been able to in 3 healthy seasons after that, and this year his injuries made for his coup de grace with the Tigers (.191 BA, 4 HR's).   That said, Avila is only 29 yrs old so there's some chance he bounces back and Sox are taking a pretty limited risk at $ 2.5 million.  Avila has hit RHers decently in his career and has reasonably good defensive skills.  I think this makes more sense than the Bonifacio and Beckham signings earlier this year.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:57 pm

rmapasad wrote:How much "magic" Avila creates depends on how close he can come to his 2011 season (19 HR's, .295 BA).

Poor guy; after he won that Tigers/Sox Nomadsfest game a few years back, what else was there to possibly play for?  He had reached the pinnacle of renown in such a short time.  Ever since, he has been heard humming Peggy Lee's hit song.  Since the trade his friends have been singing BTO's hit "Ain't seen NOTHING yet" when they see him.

Meanwhile Sox fans can continue humming the Blues Magoos.

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:00 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    TeleFrank wrote:It is a Sox tradition to sign players coming off injuries. I guess they think there is magic in the air. 

How much "magic" Avila creates depends on how close he can come to his 2011 season (19 HR's, .295 BA). He hasn't been able to in 3 healthy seasons after that, and this year his injuries made for his coup de grace with the Tigers (.191 BA, 4 HR's).   That said, Avila is only 29 yrs old so there's some chance he bounces back and Sox are taking a pretty limited risk at $ 2.5 million.  Avila has hit RHers decently in his career and has reasonably good defensive skills.  I think this makes more sense than the Bonifacio and Beckham signings earlier this year.

LAST YEAR IS OVER

LET IT GO

THE FAILURE OF SAMARDYZJA HAD MORE TO DO WITH THE SOX SUCKING THEN YOUR FETISH AGAINST BECKHAM
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:19 pm

The waste of last season had to do with being at or near the bottom of Offensive and Defensive MLB statistics.

THE TEAM JUST SUCKED.......AGAIN!!

Another WIN NOW DISASTER for the Cheerleading WIN NOW Fanboys that are left.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:36 pm

That said, Avila is only 29 yrs old so there's some chance he bounces back and Sox are taking a pretty limited risk at $ 2.5 million.

********************************************************************************************************

I wish someone would take a 2.5 million fucking dollars risk on me for anything!  Mad

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:33 am

Cream1953 wrote:That said, Avila is only 29 yrs old so there's some chance he bounces back and Sox are taking a pretty limited risk at $ 2.5 million.

********************************************************************************************************

I wish someone would take a 2.5 million fucking dollars risk on me for anything!  Mad

WHEN THE KARK WINS THE LOTTO, HE WILL NEED A CHAUFFEURE/BODY GUARD

SO, WITH LUCK, YOU MIGHT GET HALFWAY THERE AFTER A DECADE.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:55 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

LAST YEAR IS OVER

LET IT GO

THE FAILURE OF SAMARDYZJA HAD MORE TO DO WITH THE SOX SUCKING THEN YOUR FETISH AGAINST BECKHAM

I've never said Beckham had a major role in the Sox's sucking. He was only one of 10 hitters that stunk  this year.  Several (Ramirez, LaRoche, Garcia, Sanchez) had far more AB's and did much more damage.  My beef about the Beckham signing wasn't that it "sunk" the Sox but rather that it showed  muddled front office thinking.   It was the muddled front office thinking about not only Beckham but guys like LaRoche, Samardzija, Cabrera, etc. that sunk the Sox this year.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:58 pm