Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    Garcia on the block

    Share

    Guest
    Guest

    Garcia on the block

    Post by Guest on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:28 pm

    According to the Bleacher Report, the White Sox are willing to listen to offers for Avi Garcia.

    Apparently, there is concern that Garcia might be squeezed out of playing time.

    The above statement is absurd from both sides of the equation.

    1) Garcia is just the millionth example of a person built like a greek god that is not very good at playing baseball.  If this is the case, Garcia's playing time will shrink out of necessity

    2) Garcia is a late bloomer and should continue to improve now that he is healthy and has a full year under his belt.  If this is the case, the current White Sox roster doesn't have enough talent to keep him out of the lineup.

    **************************************************

    Garcia's spot is probably safe.  For it to be in danger

    1)  The White Sox would have to sign a premier free agent.  Can't see the Sox dumping Garcia just to overpay this winter's Melkey Cabare/Adam LaRouche

    2)  The White Sox trade for a clearly superior RF.  Now Roger might claim they are all clearly superior, what I really mean is they trade for someone who can match Garcia's alledged high ceiling.  The White Sox simply don't have the talent to trade away, unless they trade away their top pitchers.  However that would indicate rebuilding.  I get the impression that the Sox brass think this teams just needs a little tweaking.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7126
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by alohafri on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:40 pm

    Mark the CPA wrote:According to the Bleacher Report, the White Sox are willing to listen to offers for Avi Garcia.

    Apparently, there is concern that Garcia might be squeezed out of playing time.

    The above statement is absurd from both sides of the equation.

    1) Garcia is just the millionth example of a person built like a greek god that is not very good at playing baseball.  If this is the case, Garcia's playing time will shrink out of necessity

    2) Garcia is a late bloomer and should continue to improve now that he is healthy and has a full year under his belt.  If this is the case, the current White Sox roster doesn't have enough talent to keep him out of the lineup.

    **************************************************

    Garcia's spot is probably safe.  For it to be in danger

    1)  The White Sox would have to sign a premier free agent.  Can't see the Sox dumping Garcia just to overpay this winter's Melkey Cabare/Adam LaRouche

    2)  The White Sox trade for a clearly superior RF.  Now Roger might claim they are all clearly superior, what I really mean is they trade for someone who can match Garcia's alledged high ceiling.  The White Sox simply don't have the talent to trade away, unless they trade away their top pitchers.  However that would indicate rebuilding.  I get the impression that the Sox brass think this teams just needs a little tweaking.

    Packaging Garcia with one of their top pitchers could bring a decent return. A current major league roster guy and a top prospect maybe.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Guest on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:58 pm

    Their top pitcher is Chris Sale.

    Given that he is probably pitching for 50 cents on the dollar for the next 4 years, and will most likely be a CY Young contender for those 4 years, that alone should be worth a kings ransom

    Next is Jose Quintana.

    Q has on 9 games in each of the past 3 seasons.  I bet the number nerds Roger swears by probably have his value as twice as much.  I fear the Sox would trade Quintana for 50 cents on the dollar.

    Then you have Rodon.

    I would think the Sox would want something more than just decent for Rodon.  I bet the same applies for Chad Fulmer.

    I would guess Eric Johnson is currently penciled in for #4 in this rotation.

    If you can find a righthanded version of Quintana, I'd do Johnson, Garcia, and throw in an excess middle reliever if necessary

    Then you have John Danks.  Wait, you said top pitchers....

    As for relievers, gotta keep Robertson and Duke.  I would think the rest are available.  some will have to be dealt because you can't carry a 10 man pen
    avatar
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 6166
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 64
    Location : Elkhart, IN.

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Cream1953 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:33 pm

    Packaging Garcia with one of their top pitchers could bring a decent return. A current major league roster guy and a top prospect maybe.


    *****************************************************************


    With millions to be made just about everywhere, who of any significance would want to come play for these clowns?
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7126
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by alohafri on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:21 pm

    Cream1953 wrote:Packaging Garcia with one of their top pitchers could bring a decent return. A current major league roster guy and a top prospect maybe.


    *****************************************************************


    With millions to be made just about everywhere, who of any significance would want to come play for these clowns?

    Unless you have a no-trade clause, you don't have much choice if you are traded.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Guest on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:31 pm

    Cream1953 wrote:Packaging Garcia with one of their top pitchers could bring a decent return. A current major league roster guy and a top prospect maybe.


    *****************************************************************


    With millions to be made just about everywhere, who of any significance would want to come play for these clowns?


    White Sox money just as green as everybody elses


    And Chicago is still a world class city.


    Why wouldn't one want to play for the White Sox!?!??!?!?!?


    Wait, let me guess, win one for the fans


    LMAO!!!!!!
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2413
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by rmapasad on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:33 pm

    Mark the CPA wrote:Their top pitcher is Chris Sale.

    Given that he is probably pitching for 50 cents on the dollar for the next 4 years, and will most likely be a CY Young contender for those 4 years, that alone should be worth a kings ransom

    Next is Jose Quintana.

    Q has on 9 games in each of the past 3 seasons.  I bet the number nerds Roger swears by probably have his value as twice as much.  I fear the Sox would trade Quintana for 50 cents on the dollar.

    Then you have Rodon.

    I would think the Sox would want something more than just decent for Rodon.  I bet the same applies for Chad Fulmer.

    I would guess Eric Johnson is currently penciled in for #4 in this rotation.

    If you can find a righthanded version of Quintana, I'd do Johnson, Garcia, and throw in an excess middle reliever if necessary
    Then you have John Danks.  Wait, you said top pitchers....
    As for relievers, gotta keep Robertson and Duke.  I would think the rest are available.  some will have to be dealt because you can't carry a 10 man pen

    Quitana makes some sense to deal if you believe, as I am inclined to, that he's at his peak value.
    avatar
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 7343
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 51
    Location : St. Charles, IL

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:54 pm

    rmapasad wrote:

    Quitana makes some sense to deal if you believe, as I am inclined to, that he's at his peak value.

    Why do you think this?  Is it because you think he's going to get worse or because he'll become pricier soon? 

    I think he's a legit major league starter with the stuff of a 13-15 game winner.  If the Sox hit and he wins those 15 games, isn't he at a higher value?
    avatar
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

    Posts : 991
    Join date : 2014-06-13

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:49 am

    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:Packaging Garcia with one of their top pitchers could bring a decent return. A current major league roster guy and a top prospect maybe.


    *****************************************************************


    With millions to be made just about everywhere, who of any significance would want to come play for these clowns?


    White Sox money just as green as everybody elses


    And Chicago is still a world class city.


    Why wouldn't one want to play for the White Sox!?!??!?!?!?


    Wait, let me guess, win one for the fans


    LMAO!!!!!!
    These players "live" in Cities they play in 3 months per year.  And they are at the BALLPARK.  Who was that pitcher who had the Dodgers contractually make a private jet available to him when he signed his contract years ago????

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Guest on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:04 am

    I agree with RobZ

    As much as the number nerds hate wins, just winning 9 a year will drag down your value

    RobZ makes a valid point. If Q could real off 2 fifteen win season, his trade value sky rockets

    The man who has probably peaked is Sale. A large part of that value is his contract

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Guest on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:06 am

    Rumor has it that W to LA for Puig

    The new John for Allen???

    Hopefully Puig would be good for more than a year and a half
    avatar
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

    Posts : 991
    Join date : 2014-06-13

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:24 am

    Does Puig drink and play the horses?
    avatar
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 2413
    Join date : 2009-04-06
    Location : Northridge, CA

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by rmapasad on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:23 am

    Hawk Harrelson wrote:Does Puig drink and play the horses?
    HE's had his share of questions about off the field stuff.  Been arrested a couple times for driving 100 + mph in his sports car, which was the first thing he got after arriving off the boat from Cuba.  Imagine he didn't have a lot of driving experience there. He's had some questions about on the field work ethic too.
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Nomads44 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:40 am

    Hawk Harrelson wrote:Who was that pitcher who had the Dodgers contractually make a private jet available to him when he signed his contract years ago????


    Kevin Brown.

    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Nomads44 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:41 am

    Mark the CPA wrote:Rumor has it that W to LA for Puig

    The new John for Allen???

    Hopefully Puig would be good for more than a year and a half


    Who is W?  Quintana?

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Guest on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:50 am

    W = Quintana

    Damn fat fingers don't work too well on an iPhones

    And this just proves how smart Jim is.  Quintana and W don't usually go together, but he figured it out
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Nomads44 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:24 am

    Mark the CPA wrote:W = Quintana

    Damn fat fingers don't work too well on an iPhones

    And this just proves how smart Jim is.  Quintana and W don't usually go together, but he figured it out

    Not smart at all -- Q next to W on keyboard.  (Reminds me of my player's favorite name to type when I was a kid typing out rosters... Don Wert.

    I hope they pass on Puig.  When he first came on the scene, I'd have loved to have had him on the Sox, but appears to be too much baggage.
    avatar
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 7343
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 51
    Location : St. Charles, IL

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:31 am

    Nomads44 wrote:
    Mark the CPA wrote:Rumor has it that W to LA for Puig

    The new John for Allen???

    Hopefully Puig would be good for more than a year and a half


    Who is W?  Quintana?

    I had that same thought?  Q is next to W on the keyboard.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Garcia on the block

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:48 pm