Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Alexei Gone

rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Alexei Gone

Post by rmapasad on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:09 pm

Ramirez, who has been with the club since 2008, will receive a $1 million buyout and hit free agency. It's a bit of a surprise, as CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reported last month that the White Sox appeared to be leaning toward exercising the option. The 34-year-old got off to a miserable start this season, but was much more like his usual self during the second half. Someone will surely take the chance on a rebound. The White Sox could turn to prospect Tim Anderson at shortstop in 2016, though it's unclear if he's ready for the majors.  >>

Anderson really isn't ready for 2016, and Astrubal Cabrera is the only real viable free agent SS option, so does this mean the Sox are going full rebuild in 2016 ?

Re: Alexei Gone

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:31 pm

Either that or, zobrist played short. I hope they do not go after asdrubel. He's dunzo

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:31 pm

Either that or, zobrist played short. I hope they do not go after asdrubel. He's dunzo
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Either that or, zobrist played short. I hope they do not go after asdrubel. He's dunzo

Also notice that Ian Desmond is available.  He is coming off a .233 hitting season so his market price may be a little more reasonable although Fangraphs still has him projected at 4 yrs, $ 56 mil.  Good defensive SS though and has hit better in past years - just 29 yrs old.

But I don't see the Sox (or any other team) cutting a regular they could have had under contract in hopes that they can re-fill his spot with one of the only 2 free agents available.  Nor do I see the Sox liking the numbers it would take to get Desmond or even Cabrera.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Bring Ramirez and Beckham back on a HOME TOWN DISCOUNT!!

WIN NOW 2016 FOR THE WHITE SOX FANBOYS!!!!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:06 pm

After last year I was content with Alexei at shortstop after the year he had. Then this year came around and I don't know what his problem was but it was as if he wasn't even trying to play good baseball. At the very least his head was up his ass. He was one of the main reasons the club got off to such a miserable start. As noted, the second half was a bit better for him but even then nothing to write home about. In any case it was too little too late. 

Fuck 'im. In the final analysis he was never anything more just another part of this team's culture of mediocrity and losing. Don't let the door hit you in the ass! And take Tank and Gordo with ya!

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:11 pm

Will the Sox throw Tim Anderson and Micah Johnson to the wolves next year as their DP combo?

Now the nightmare scenario:
    1). Thompson and Garcia flank Eaton in the OF
    2). Tyler Flowers returns at C
    3). Mike Olt is considered some kind of answer at 3B
    4). No major trade or signing because Sox brass actually believes the sabotage bullshit the KARK throw out here to rile up Rosebowl
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:23 pm

I do not get riled up.  I have fun.  The Sox are a SHIT SHOW.

I do not plan my life around the White Sox.

I enjoy laughing at myself for giving half a shit about this Reinsdorf hustle.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:28 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:Will the Sox throw Tim Anderson and Micah Johnson to the wolves next year as their DP combo?

4). No major trade or signing because Sox brass actually believes the sabotage bullshit the KARK throw out here to rile up Rosebowl

Olt should be parking cars in Lot B.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:35 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:Will the Sox throw Tim Anderson and Micah Johnson to the wolves next year as their DP combo?

Kark, 7 spots were replacement level for the Sox last year.  Yeah, that includes Melky (-.3 WAR). 
    When you have 7 duds and 2 semi-studs, it ain't gonna get better overnight.   Anybody who finds
    his way out of this mess deserves Executive of the Year.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:42 pm

rmapasad wrote:

Give me $600,000,000 and I will.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:57 pm

Last in Offense and Last in Defense translates to a pile of shit.

Who besides Sale, Q, Robertson, Rodon and Abreu does this pile of shit have to trade?

They ought to have Latina Cat Fights on the RF Concourse once per homestand to attract fans and sell beers!!

The one we saw at Nomadsfest was  far more interesting than the ballgame.

Even Todd had to watch!!

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:31 am

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Last in Offense and Last in Defense translates to a pile of shit.

Who besides Sale, Q, Robertson, Rodon and Abreu does this pile of shit have to trade?

They ought to have Latina Cat Fights on the RF Concourse once per homestand to attract fans and sell beers!!

The one we saw at Nomadsfest was  far more interesting than the ballgame.

Even Todd had to watch!!

I'm sure your right hand remembers that cat fight quite well and quite often
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:44 am

Spanking the Monkey is reserved for The Chicago White Sox!!

HOT STOVE LEAGUE!!!

WIN NOW 2016!!!

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:46 am

rmapasad wrote:

Kark, 7 spots were replacement level for the Sox last year.  Yeah, that includes Melky (-.3 WAR). 
    When you have 7 duds and 2 semi-studs, it ain't gonna get better overnight.   Anybody who finds

And if you read my post closely, 2016 will be once again be Eaton and Abreau and 7 guys that suck

The teams needs to buy an offense like I suggested in the 2016 wish list thread.  Or trade pitching for hitting since the Sox supposedly have plenty of it

We both know that Thompson, Garcia, Johnson, Anderson are stiffs.  My fear is that we will spend the next 2 years be proved right.   Sox brass see these as the big 4

Meanwhile, your pitching strength gets sabotaged by lack of support

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:13 am

rmapasad wrote:Ramirez, who has been with the club since 2008, will receive a $1 million buyout and hit free agency. It's a bit of a surprise, as CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reported last month that the White Sox appeared to be leaning toward exercising the option. The 34-year-old got off to a miserable start this season, but was much more like his usual self during the second half. Someone will surely take the chance on a rebound. The White Sox could turn to prospect Tim Anderson at shortstop in 2016, though it's unclear if he's ready for the majors.  >>

Anderson really isn't ready for 2016, and Astrubal Cabrera is the only real viable free agent SS option, so does this mean the Sox are going full rebuild in 2016 ?

Seeing the way Kenny Williams goes about things, he's probably figuring on using the money he saves on Alexei Ramirez to sign Alex Rios. Sad

Or maybe he'll give Johnny Danks a contract extension. Sad Sad

Or perhaps he'll talk Adam Dunn out of retirement. Sad Sad Sad
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:44 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:Ramirez, who has been with the club since 2008, will receive a $1 million buyout and hit free agency. It's a bit of a surprise, as CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reported last month that the White Sox appeared to be leaning toward exercising the option. The 34-year-old got off to a miserable start this season, but was much more like his usual self during the second half. Someone will surely take the chance on a rebound. The White Sox could turn to prospect Tim Anderson at shortstop in 2016, though it's unclear if he's ready for the majors.  >>

Seeing the way Kenny Williams goes about things, he's probably figuring on using the money he saves on Alexei Ramirez to sign Alex Rios. Sad

Ordinarily, not picking up Ramirez's option would be a classic Moneyball move  - makes sense not to invest further on a veteran whose hitting and defensive skills have declined to below replacement level (-.3 WAR this year)..  IF you're going to be that bad at SS, no need to spend $ 10 mil doing it  - play Tim Anderson or Saladino, give them some more experience and use the savings to pay guys with a future.   Except this is Reinsdorf.  My guess is all he heard was the "no need to spend $ 10 mil" part of that presentation.  Not so sure how much, if any, of that savings will be invested in other players.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:42 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Ordinarily, not picking up Ramirez's option would be a classic Moneyball move  - makes sense not to invest further on a veteran whose hitting and defensive skills have declined to below replacement level (-.3 WAR this year)..  IF you're going to be that bad at SS, no need to spend $ 10 mil doing it  - play Tim Anderson or Saladino, give them some more experience and use the savings to pay guys with a future.   Except this is Reinsdorf.  My guess is all he heard was the "no need to spend $ 10 mil" part of that presentation.  Not so sure how much, if any, of that savings will be invested in other players.

I hate to say it, but given KW's past track record, maybe it's better if Reinsdorf just pockets the money. Sad

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:02 pm

Latest rumor is they will try to bring Ramirez back at 1/2 price, but for twice as long.

I fear the 2016 White Sox my try to win using the Jeb Bush strategy.  Ignore the base, look clueless and pray everybody else sucks more than you do

Kenny already knows how to rant at the fans for lack of support
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:33 pm

Mark the CPA wrote:Latest rumor is they will try to bring Ramirez back at 1/2 price, but for twice as long.

On thinking about this further, not surprised to read this.  2015's win-now moves pretty much point to win-now in 2016, since Sox are still committed to LaRoche, Melky, Robertson,Duke plus Sale and Abreu aren't getting any younger.  Using Saladino or Anderson at SS isn't very win-nowish.  Despite doubts on Alexei, he has been decent defensively even tho he's lost a step, and might have another season worth of production left in the bat.  So get him for 1/2 the price and bring him back.  
    This sort of "logic" doesn't make sense to me though.  If you think he's lost it, then pay his $ 1 mil buyout and move on.  If you think he might still have something left in the tank, pick up his $ 10 mil option. Once he's cast loose, Sox have no control over his price anymore.  The market does. He sure doesn't owe the Sox the loyalty of a hometown discount after they turned down his option.

Whatever price the Sox bring him back at, add the $ 1 mil they had to pay to buy out his option.  So if the Padres, as I read, might offer $7-8 mil, the Sox would have to top that, and what exactly have they saved then ?  If the cost is a two-year deal, as you suggest, then the Sox end up spending more than they would have simply picking up his option.

Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Just have to love this horseshit team.

3rd from the bottom in runs scored in MLB.

Quite the accomplishment since the N.L. has no DH!!!

Maybe they can solve the problems with Stiffs that are Non-Tendered!!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:40 am

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Just have to love this horseshit team.
    3rd from the bottom in runs scored in MLB.
    Quite the accomplishment since the N.L. has no DH!!!
    Maybe they can solve the problems with Stiffs that are Non-Tendered!!!!

Sure the Sox thought if they had a league avg offense like 2014 (8th in Runs) they'd contend with the Samardzija and Robertson additions.  Big flaw in that thinking is that 2014 were unusually good years for Flowers, Ramirez, Gillaspie, LaRoche and Cabrera.  Plus that was likely Abreu's peak season.  Sox were last in Runs Scored in 2013, so 2014 was the aberration and 2015 more representative of reality.

Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:04 pm

All these seasons stranding all kinds of baserunners.
    Just a brutal brand of baseball to watch.
    DULL....BORING....Just awful.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:52 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:All these seasons stranding all kinds of baserunners.
    Just a brutal brand of baseball to watch.
    DULL....BORING....Just awful.
    Don't know whether the Sox strand a greater % of baserunners than other teams.   One thing is for absolute certain though - the Sox do not put enough guys on base.   In the last three seasons they've been 14th, 12th and 14th in on-base %...  Most of that is due to being very poor at drawing walks. Sox have been in the bottom 3 in BB's every one of those years.  Unselective hackers at the plate who pitchers can easily exploit.  Don't get on base enough and when they do get on, hitters aren't patient enough to wait on pitches that they can handle to drive guys in.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:00 pm

It has been BRUTAL.  A waste of time for the most part.  More fun to go to tailgates and BLOW OFF THE GAMES!!!  The start of the games has ruined a lot of good parties!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:08 pm