Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

In case anyone cares ...

In case anyone cares ...

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:01 pm

It has been a pretty good, if not really good, World Series ...hope you've all watched some
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: In case anyone cares ...

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:48 am

Watched the first game....got bored and fell asleep after about the 37th inning. Never watched another pitch.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:39 am

The story of Game 5 can be found 16 pages into the Sun Times Bears wrap around sports section, and on page 7 of the Tribune Sports.  No local writers were sent.

Shows exactly the REAL local interest.

The Playoffs are the story and when a local team is eliminated, people do not care.

World Series stories did not exist in the two papers here.  Bare minimum game stories with a box score.

I probably watched 4 innings in 5 games.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:59 am

I watched some as I always do. It was a pretty good series. Could have gone either way. What happened to the great National League Central? I was led to believe that both World Series teams were going to come from there.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:13 am

Watched quite a bit when not flipping to other games or shows, etc.  The Royals are a very good team and it appears to me that the AL is still the stronger league.  The NL has some very good teams, but the AL still strikes me as having better talent.  That could just be some personal bias.  Haven't really looked to see how the AL vs. the NL fared across the league in interleague games this season.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:39 am

The NL has some very good teams, but the AL still strikes me as having better talent.  

************************************************************************************************************

You're so full of shit!  Mad

Then you haven't seen the Cubs play have you?? Consensus favorite to win it all next year!!!   cheers cheers cheers
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:07 am

Everybody knows the 2016 Win Now White Sox will win the World Series for their dedicated FANBOYS!!!

Make sure you get your pants around your ankles for the HOT STOVE LEAGUE!!!

BELIEVE!!!

Make the White Sox a PRIORITY in your life!!!!!!!
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:13 am

I look forward to the upcoming Spring Training discussion about who the 24th and 25th men on the Sox roster will be!!!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:41 am

It's one of the rites of spring Bobby. Just like tornadoes, floods, dandelions, flies, mosquitoes....

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:08 am

Hawk Harrelson wrote:I look forward to the upcoming Spring Training discussion about who the 24th and 25th men on the Sox roster will be!!!

Yeah, but before we get to that we have Non-tender Day, the Winter Meetings, and the Rule 5 Draft!  And Sox Fest!   Excitement ahead! Sleep 

Hitch your wagon to a star! -- Or is it a black hole? scratch
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:17 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Hawk Harrelson wrote:I look forward to the upcoming Spring Training discussion about who the 24th and 25th men on the Sox roster will be!!!

Yeah, but before we get to that we have Non-tender Day, the Winter Meetings, and the Rule 5 Draft!  And Sox Fest!   Excitement ahead! Sleep 

Hitch your wagon to a star! -- Or is it a black hole? scratch
    cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! king king king king king king king king king king king king king king king king king affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Chi-kid wrote:It has been a pretty good, if not really good, World Series ...hope you've all watched some

Watched some, listened to some.  Gotta admire the Royals; good fundamentals in the field, excellent situational hitting with ability to put the ball in play and provide productive outs, excellent pitching, and a "chemistry" that doesn't allow for outright collapse at the team level.

The game that impressed me the most was the one they lost to Toronto in which they were getting absolutely killed (I think it was game 3, too lazy to look up the box score).  In the 9th, they were down by about 10 and mounted a hit after hit rally, eventually losing by about 4 or 5.  The Jays manager was pacing in the dugout, chewing his nails, had to get his closer for what should have been mop-up time.  Right then, the Jays went from a confident team that had dominated their opponent to a relieved team that hadn't blown a huge lead.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:18 pm

jaywit wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:It has been a pretty good, if not really good, World Series ...hope you've all watched some

listened to some. 

Also, I really liked the ESPN radio announcer.  Describes the play as good as any I've heard.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:46 pm

good fundamentals in the field, excellent situational hitting with ability to put the ball in play and provide productive outs, excellent pitching, and a "chemistry" that doesn't allow for outright collapse at the team level.

Basically they're little more than a carbon copy of the White Sox under Robin Ventura's leadership. 
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Cream1953 wrote:good fundamentals in the field, excellent situational hitting with ability to put the ball in play and provide productive outs, excellent pitching, and a "chemistry" that doesn't allow for outright collapse at the team level.

Basically they're little more than a carbon copy of the White Sox under Robin Ventura's leadership. 
    Don't know but I'd bet anything even the Royals' hot dog and beer vendors are better than those of the White Sox.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:42 pm

jaywit wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:good fundamentals in the field, excellent situational hitting with ability to put the ball in play and provide productive outs, excellent pitching, and a "chemistry" that doesn't allow for outright collapse at the team level.

Don't know but I'd bet anything even the Royals' hot dog and beer vendors are better than those of the White Sox.

Now THAT I doubt. 
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:40 pm

I don't know how you're able to draw any sort of informed comparison. Word on the street is you're too drunk by the 3rd inning to know too much of anything.  drunken
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:10 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I don't know how you're able to draw any sort of informed comparison. Word on the street is you're too drunk by the 3rd inning to know too much of anything.  drunken

Maybe they don't cut him off at the Cell.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:48 pm

good fundamentals in the field, excellent situational hitting with ability to put the ball in play and provide productive outs, excellent pitching, and a "chemistry" that doesn't allow for outright collapse at the team level.>>

Recently read the Royals were the "new" sabermetric team.  They have one of the biggest # crunching departments of any MLB team.  But they  shunned the "old"  formula of walks, HR's and groundball pitchers because that didn't suit their budget or their ballpark. 
    They got OFers to gobble up flyballs and that allowed them to get cheaper, flyball pitchers.  Instead of the bigger $$ marquee HR hitters, they got contact hitters and guys who can field and run. By building an airtight bullpen, they didn't have to get the $ 20+ million starting pitchers.  
    They are doing what sabermetrics is all about -exploiting a market inefficiency.  In Billy Beane's heyday, walks and groundball pitchers were undervalued. Now fielding and bullpens are the newer gold. Beane himself had switched more to that formula in 2010, and got A's to playoffs three straight years (12-14). 
    Any way, the Sox can learn some lessons from KC, but they can't really copy them. The Sox's park isn't like KC.  They don't have the same kind of personnel to build around, and they don't have the same kind of Manager.  Unfortunately they don't have the same kind of ownership or front office that listens to what smart baseball people want to tell them.

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Now fielding and bullpens are the newer gold

pitching and defense the "new" gold?  mmmmmm  Must be, since nobody ever expounded on THESE aspects of the game as being important.... Rolling Eyes Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:03 pm