Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Greinke opting out of Dodgers contract!!

Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Greinke opting out of Dodgers contract!!

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Doesn't he care about the Dodgers FANBOYS buying his jersey?

How about Los Angeles?

This guy said before he signed with the Dodgers he would sign with the WORST TEAM in MLB if they paid him enough!!!

HE MEANS IT!!!

WHAT ABOUT THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, FANBOYS????

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!

Re: Greinke opting out of Dodgers contract!!

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:51 pm

WELL HE AIN'T CUBAN, BUT HE'LL DO
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:04 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Doesn't he care about the Dodgers FANBOYS buying his jersey?
    How about Los Angeles?
    This guy said before he signed with the Dodgers he would sign with the WORST TEAM in MLB if they paid him enough!!!HE MEANS IT!!!
    WHAT ABOUT THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, FANBOYS????
    ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!

When a guy is 45 years old, what will do he and his family more good - a couple World Series rings he wears on his fingers or $ 50 million sitting in the bank ?  I don't blame Greinke.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:40 pm

I don't blame him either but I always thought this guy was a bit odd.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:54 pm

Father of Stan wrote:WELL HE AIN'T CUBAN, BUT HE'LL DO

Only chance he wears a White Sox uniform is if Cubs win the series and if Reinsdorf suddenly cares about ratings and attendance.  Both are pretty big ifs.  Otherwise, his A listing on the free agency market is too high for the Sox modus operandi.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:38 pm

The White Sox would get him as he begins to slide into the downside of his career. Not worth the money even if they were inclined to spend it. At 32 his best days will soon be behind him.

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:09 pm

When a guy is 45 years old, what will do he and his family more good - a couple World Series rings he wears on his fingers or $ 50 million sitting in the bank ?  I don't blame Greinke.

Yea, because only 1 team would offer him $50 million and all the others would offer $15/hour.  You don't think he'd be as happy with 2 world series rings and $48 million in the bank?  How bout $45 million and 3 WS rings?  Something to think about when your old, the joy of winning and being a champion AND being rich?   Give me a break that he has to "choose" between making big money and being on a winner.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:27 am

Chi-kid wrote:When a guy is 45 years old, what will do he and his family more good - a couple World Series rings he wears on his fingers or $ 50 million sitting in the bank ?  I don't blame Greinke.

Yea, because only 1 team would offer him $50 million and all the others would offer $15/hour.  You don't think he'd be as happy with 2 world series rings and $48 million in the bank?  How bout $45 million and 3 WS rings?  Something to think about when your old, the joy of winning and being a champion AND being rich?   Give me a break that he has to "choose" between making big money and being on a winner.

Yeah, I'd take a couple million less and a couple of World Series rings.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:28 am

Cream1953 wrote:I don't blame him either but I always thought this guy was a bit odd.

Wasn't there talk that he had some kind of social issues when he was with Kansas City?
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:03 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:I don't blame him either but I always thought this guy was a bit odd.

Wasn't there talk that he had some kind of social issues when he was with Kansas City?

That's always been the talk, Kevin.  Attitude issues and issues with too much pressure being put on him.  Wow, let me hurry up and offer him a $30 mill a year for that.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:06 pm

Clubs would line up to pay that even if they found out he had babies buried in his basement.

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:58 pm

He has an anxiety disorder - couldn't handle the pressure and the setting of MLB. Quit the gave for at least a season, then came back, initially as a long-middle reliever to minimize the exposure and thus the anxiety. Seems to have overcome that , probably with medications, but good to see he has - at least on the outside.

My point is, he is going to be rich no matter what. So to say he has to take cash over a chance to win, is ridiculous. Clearly, he can do both.   BTW - he is still owed $71 million on his CURRENT contract that he is opting out of...
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:37 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Wasn't there talk that he had some kind of social issues when he was with Kansas City?

He has an anxiety disorder - couldn't handle the pressure and the setting of MLB. Quit the gave for at least a season, then came back, initially as a long-middle reliever to minimize the exposure and thus the anxiety. Seems to have overcome that , probably with medications, but good to see he has - at least on the outside.

My point is, he is going to be rich no matter what. So to say he has to take cash over a chance to win, is ridiculous. Clearly, he can do both.   BTW - he is still owed $71 million on his CURRENT contract that he is opting out of...
    I remember him having issues, but not sitting out a year.  Did he sit out in his early years before he got to the show?

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:53 pm

I remember him having issues, but not sitting out a year.  Did he sit out in his early years before he got to the show?

It was early in his career - after he was brought up, failed, and was sent back down again ...
    I just looked it up - he missed most of the 2006 season ..I remember stories that it got so bad he would refuse to pitch or go into games .
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:19 pm

My point is, he is going to be rich no matter what. So to say he has to take cash over a chance to win, is ridiculous. Clearly, he can do both.   BTW - he is still owed $71 million on his CURRENT contract that he is opting out of..>>
    Of course he's well paid in his current Dodger deal, but by opting out he can get 8 year deal worth $ 200 million +.. It would be ridiculously stupid for him to not opt out.  In another 3 years at the end of his Dodger deal his arm could be shot, and he may have to settle for a minor league deal to keep pitching.
    As to whether he signs with another contender in free agency, who knows ?  Sometimes the team that blows everyone out of the water is the non-contender looking to make a big splash like the Mariners did with Cano.  They offered $ 240 mil over 10 years and the Yankees highest bid was $ 175 mil over 7 years.  Cano wasn't going to go on food stamps if he stayed with the Yankees but he made it clear that he wasn't looking to try to find another contract in his late 30's and opted for the greater money and security.  I fully expect Greinke will follow the same reasoning.   Whichever team is willing to pay him handsomely to pitch into his early 40's will likely be his next team.  As opposed to which team is most likely to win the Series in the next couple years.

rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    asn't there talk that he had some kind of social issues when he was with Kansas City?

That's always been the talk, Kevin.  Attitude issues and issues with too much pressure being put on him.  Wow, let me hurry up and offer him a $30 mill a year for that.

Dodger teammates are very fond of Greinke.  He is a different sort of guy and not the rah-rah type like Kershaw.  But they found him to be a good teammate by and large.   As to his "attitude issues" and inability to handle pressure, that may go back 8-10 years when he was in his early 20's. IIRC, Roy Halladay had pressure problems in his early 20's.  Randy Johnson was too wild to be starter-worth until he was 26.   It's what he's done lately that counts and in last 3 seasons he's averaged 2.92 ERA with the Dodgers.  Offhand, I can think of 30 teams who'd sign up for that, if they could afford him.
    Obviously it will come down to who is financially willing and able to kiss off 1/2 of the years on his new deal as sunk cost  because he likely won't be the pitcher at ages 35-39 that he was from ages 29-31.  Nor likely to remain healthy through that entire period.

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:21 pm

They offered $ 240 mil over 10 years and the Yankees highest bid was $ 175 mil over 7 years.  Cano wasn't going to go on food stamps if he stayed with the Yankees but he made it clear that he wasn't looking to try to find another contract in his late 30's and opted for the greater money and security

That's true ..and cano went from high regard as being, to some, the best 2bman in baseball, to now being completely irrelevant. If he's "happier" with all that money while  playing for a loser than he was playing for a division title every year, than so be it....good for him.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:29 pm

I remember stories that it got so bad he would refuse to pitch or go into games .

Hell, if I was Jose Quintana I would do the same thing. 
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Chi-kid wrote:They offered $ 240 mil over 10 years and the Yankees highest bid was $ 175 mil over 7 years.  Cano wasn't going to go on food stamps if he stayed with the Yankees but he made it clear that he wasn't looking to try to find another contract in his late 30's and opted for the greater money and security

That's true ..and cano went from high regard as being, to some, the best 2bman in baseball, to now being completely irrelevant. If he's "happier" with all that money while  playing for a loser than he was playing for a division title every year, than so be it....good for him.
    Another classic example was A-Rod taking the big $$ from the Rangers back in 2001 even though his current Mariners were AL West champs in 2000 and Rangers were a 4th place team. Sure, wannabe teams always tell the free agent "we're building a WS winner and you'll be the big part of that." That's a nice rationalization for everyone involved, but the money is the real deal.
    Not that I blame the player.  These guys usually have 8-10 years left in their careers but another 40-50 years left in their lives after baseball.  If Contract A gives them an extra $ 30-50 million cushion over Contract B that's an added margin of security and comfort for them and their families post-baseball.  Despite the idea that Contract B may be with a team that gives them a greater chance to win World Series rings. 
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:10 pm

Most of these guys eventually sell their World Series rings and everything else at auction!!!

MONEY TALKS.  Professional Sports is a COLD HEARTED BUSINESS.

Ozzie Guillen said it himself, GET THE MONEY FIRST, WORRY ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS LATER.

THAT IS THE WAY IT WORKS!!!  FREE AGENCY PROVES IT BEYOND A DOUBT.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:02 am