Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Going Out On HIS Terms

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Going Out On HIS Terms

Post by alohafri on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:11 pm

The Toronto Blue Jays are going to let Mark Buehrle pitch two innings today so he can maintain his streak of 15 seasons with at least 10 wins and 200 innings pitched. Buehrle is going to retire after that.

He will not make the Hall of Fame, but unless Chris Sale turns into Nolan Ryan, he will go down as my favorite pitcher in White Sox history. He has nothing left to prove with two no-hitters (one of them a perfect game, which I saw first hand), a start in the All Star Game, a World Series start, a World Series save, and a World Series ring.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Re: Going Out On HIS Terms

Post by frank bonifacic on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:14 pm

alohafri wrote:The Toronto Blue Jays are going to let Mark Buehrle pitch two innings today so he can maintain his streak of 15 seasons with at least 10 wins and 200 innings pitched. Buehrle is going to retire after that.

He will not make the Hall of Fame, but unless Chris Sale turns into Nolan Ryan, he will go down as my favorite pitcher in White Sox history. He has nothing left to prove with two no-hitters (one of them a perfect game, which I saw first hand), a start in the All Star Game, a World Series start, a World Series save, and a World Series ring.
    Only thing I didn't understand is he wont be on playoff roster. He is 15-6 with a 3.62 ERA.
    Why not in playoffs

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Agree. Not on the post season roster? Retiring? Why to both? Seems like he has something left in the tank to me. 
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Rumor is shoulder finally gave out.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Harry Caray wrote:Rumor is shoulder finally gave out.

That would explain the post season
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:26 pm

I'm not familiar enough with the Jay's rotation to know if Buehrle is in the top four.  Maybe his shoulder is shot and he's getting by on guile, or perhaps he doesn't feel capable of really continuing.  Somebody somewhere suggested he is suffering through shoulder trouble. 

Still, you'd think a guy like that would be valuable in the postseason, either as a long reliever, a short reliever, or even a spot starter in case of injury.  Plus he's a lefty.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:29 pm

If his shoulder really did give out, I give him props for not doing what most MLB players would do, and signing onto a 2-3 year deal for another $30 mill, only to show up for spring training and say "oops, something feels kinda funny in my shoulder."

Of course, some might call him stupid for NOT doing that.

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:37 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:If his shoulder really did give out, I give him props for not doing what most MLB players would do, and signing onto a 2-3 year deal for another $30 mill, only to show up for spring training and say "oops, something feels kinda funny in my shoulder."

I suspect that was the Hahn offer
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:57 pm

Chi-kid wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:If his shoulder really did give out, I give him props for not doing what most MLB players would do, and signing onto a 2-3 year deal for another $30 mill, only to show up for spring training and say "oops, something feels kinda funny in my shoulder."

I'd like to see Hahn offer a one day contract.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:56 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

I'd like to see Hahn offer a one day contract.

Might have been cool to see him traded over to the Sox for the final day of the season so he could throw those innings in a Sox uni.  No biggie, but would have been cool.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:57 pm

Chi-kid wrote:

Before or after learning of a shoulder injury?

Post by Guest on Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:46 pm

IF BUEHRLE WERE A MAN OF HONOR, HE'D REHAB THE SHOULDER FOR A YEAR, COME BACK TO THE WHITE SOX IN 2017, THEN RETIRE AFTER GIVING THE WHITE SOX FAITHFUL THE FAREWELL TOUR THAT WAS STOLEN FROM US 5 YEARS AGO

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:04 pm