Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Milo No More

Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Milo No More

Post by Nomads44 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Sad news for me and perhaps others my age today.

I see a report from 4:18 that Mile Hamilton has passed on.

He was one of my very favorite announcers as a child.  I started with Bob Elson (the Commander) and Don Wells, and then at some point, I'll guess very late 50's, or early 60's, Hamilton replaced Wells.  Too young then to give it much thought.  I wonder now whatever happened to Wells?  Was he fired, or did he get hired away by another club?

RIP Milo.  If anyone has a soundbite of his announcing the Pujols "knife to the heart of the Astros" home run, please share it.  He was just dumbfounded and stunned, as if his dog had died.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Re: Milo No More

Post by Nomads44 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:23 pm

http://m.pirates.mlb.com/news/article/150122950/broadcaster-milo-hamilton-dies

This clip has some of his highlights, but not the Pujols HR unless I missed it when the wife came in.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:52 pm

If anyone cares, I found that Gene Autry hired him away from the Sox to work for the new expansion Los Angeles Angels.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Nomads44 wrote:If anyone cares, I found that Gene Autry hired him away from the Sox to work for the new expansion Los Angeles Angels.

Nowadays, no one would want anyone from the Sox.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:50 pm

My favorite Milo memory was when Schmidt hit the homer late in the Cub game to put the Phils up 23-22.  Was listening on the radio and hear "here's the pitch....CRACK!....oh, dear.  Kiss it goodbye."  My dad and I burst into laughter in my garage, where we were listening.

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:42 pm

Hamilton had a great voice ..Tom Hamilton of the Indians has always reminded me of Hamilton. His call of Aaron's 715 was classy ..lived to be 88, can't really ask for more than that...and worked to 85 - if you can call going to the ballpark "work".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:18 am