Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.


    My compliments

    Share
    avatar
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

    Posts : 1047
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Location : Portage Park

    My compliments

    Post by TeleFrank on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:58 pm

    Have to congratulate most of you for keeping this corner of the internet fairly empty. Not wasting space on the White Sox 2015. (Besides of course the obvious people.) I would like to think that you have discovered that your wife is a great lady to talk to and the kids aren't too bad either. That you never knew that that park down the block was so pretty. That those books you were going to read have been a real pleasure to read. Keep up the good work folks. This team is not worth any of our precious time.
    avatar
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

    Posts : 1688
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 69
    Location : Springfield

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Nomads44 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:41 pm

    For me, it has bee dedicating a lot more time to watching Cubs and Cardinals instead of trying to figure out which channel the Sox are on.  When I miss them, I have not missed much.  They teased us again at just the wrong time and we are stuck with some possible hard to move dead weight again.

    Facebook and Rotisserie Baseball and Simulated Baseball have been taking most of my spare time this year as they have done for too many years now.  Except for a lifetime of fandom, if they moved away, I don't think I would miss them much.  Even Kevin seemed to swear them off a couple days ago.  Not sure if he was serious or not, but if not, probably awfully close to it.
    avatar
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

    Posts : 1029
    Join date : 2014-06-13

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:43 pm

    This is the 3rd straight season you have expressed these sentiments, Frank!!  There is a PATTERN developing.


    The FUN is just beginning in WRIGLEYVILLE!!


    The excitement of October baseball returns!!


    Great for the local economy.


    Great for the vendors.


    Simply fantastic.


    GO CUBS GO!!!
    avatar
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 6166
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 64
    Location : Elkhart, IN.

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Cream1953 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:57 pm

    The FUN is just beginning in WRIGLEYVILLE!!


    **************************************


    You can pull your pants up anytime now Bobby.  affraid
    avatar
    Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

    Posts : 1029
    Join date : 2014-06-13

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:59 pm

    LMAO!!!


    I think Frank is trying to tell us the Sox SUCK again!!!!

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Guest on Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:29 pm

    Fuck the Cubs. Stanley on the soccer field, now that's excitement
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7173
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: My compliments

    Post by alohafri on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:42 pm

    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Fuck the Cubs.  Stanley on the soccer field, now that's excitement

    No offense to Stosh, but I'd rather watch cars rust than watch soccer.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Guest on Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:49 pm

    soccer is actually exciting at stan's age.  they actually score multiple times

    But thanks for deliberately disagreeing with me AlohaboyZ
    avatar
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 7401
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 51
    Location : St. Charles, IL

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:55 pm

    Father of Stan wrote:soccer is actually exciting at stan's age.  they actually score multiple times

    But thanks for deliberately disagreeing with me AlohaboyZ

    For a change, I'll agree with Kark.  I hated soccer before my kids played it.  I truly enjoy it now.  Kark, find an indoor place for him to play in the winter.  Indoor soccer is ten times more exciting that outdoor.  It's fast and kind of violent with all of the crashes into the glass and so forth.  The field is much smaller, so the ball moves all over the place very quickly.  Having watched the kids play it so much, I will now actually sit and watch it on TV with my oldest, who plays it quite a bit still.
    avatar
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 6166
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 64
    Location : Elkhart, IN.

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Cream1953 on Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:39 pm

    I'd rather watch cars rust than watch soccer.


    *****************************************************************


    What he said.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Guest on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:12 am

    Soxillinirob wrote:
    Father of Stan wrote:soccer is actually exciting at stan's age.  they actually score multiple times

    But thanks for deliberately disagreeing with me AlohaboyZ

    For a change, I'll agree with Kark.  I hated soccer before my kids played it.  I truly enjoy it now.  Kark, find an indoor place for him to play in the winter.  Indoor soccer is ten times more exciting that outdoor.  It's fast and kind of violent with all of the crashes into the glass and so forth.  The field is much smaller, so the ball moves all over the place very quickly.  Having watched the kids play it so much, I will now actually sit and watch it on TV with my oldest, who plays it quite a bit still.


    One step ahead of you my dear friend Rob

    This year, we put Stan in a soccer club which is year round.

    the cheapstake in me wanted to keep him in the park district where its $70 a season, two season a year.  this club is 10X more.  But then, so is the level of instruction.  this is Stan's first year in the club.  The club doesn't take everybody.  they only field 3 teams tops per age group.  Stan made the C team.  If we are still in Plainfield next year, I'm hoping he makes the B team.

    another thing that bothers me for next year.  We have to commit to this club in May.  but his junior high team doesn't try out until august.  Doubt he can do both.  Would prefer the school team.  You know, RAH RAH school spirit and cheerleaders!!!!  But then again, let's make sure we are still in Plainfield next year at this time
    avatar
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 7401
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 51
    Location : St. Charles, IL

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:00 am

    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:
    Father of Stan wrote:soccer is actually exciting at stan's age.  they actually score multiple times

    But thanks for deliberately disagreeing with me AlohaboyZ

    For a change, I'll agree with Kark.  I hated soccer before my kids played it.  I truly enjoy it now.  Kark, find an indoor place for him to play in the winter.  Indoor soccer is ten times more exciting that outdoor.  It's fast and kind of violent with all of the crashes into the glass and so forth.  The field is much smaller, so the ball moves all over the place very quickly.  Having watched the kids play it so much, I will now actually sit and watch it on TV with my oldest, who plays it quite a bit still.


    One step ahead of you my dear friend Rob

    This year, we put Stan in a soccer club which is year round.

    the cheapstake in me wanted to keep him in the park district where its $70 a season, two season a year.  this club is 10X more.  But then, so is the level of instruction.  this is Stan's first year in the club.  The club doesn't take everybody.  they only field 3 teams tops per age group.  Stan made the C team.  If we are still in Plainfield next year, I'm hoping he makes the B team.

    another thing that bothers me for next year.  We have to commit to this club in May.  but his junior high team doesn't try out until august.  Doubt he can do both.  Would prefer the school team.  You know, RAH RAH school spirit and cheerleaders!!!!  But then again, let's make sure we are still in Plainfield next year at this time

    If you're double booked on a travel and school team, travel clubs understand that kids play other sports and other teams.  Don't worry about if he makes the school team.  Just make school team a priority and club team secondary, and then he'll have many more games....assuming he wants many more games.  It may even turn out there's almost no conflict.  Then you'll be all set.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7173
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: My compliments

    Post by alohafri on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:41 am

    Soxillinirob wrote:

    If you're double booked on a travel and school team, travel clubs understand that kids play other sports and other teams.  Don't worry about if he makes the school team.  Just make school team a priority and club team secondary, and then he'll have many more games....assuming he wants many more games.  It may even turn out there's almost no conflict.  Then you'll be all set.

    You're obviously not from Naperville!

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Guest on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:01 am

    I WONDER WHAT BLONDY WOULD SAY

    10% CHANCE I COULD BE HER NEIGHBOR THIS TIME NEXT YEAR


    PS, THE MRS WOULD FLIP WITH ALL THAT SOCCER.  HE STILL NEEDS TO GET STRAIGHT A'S AND BECOME A WORLD CLASS PAINO PLAYER.  OR AT LEAST THE NEXT DENNIS DEYOUNG

    PSS, BACK IN SCHOOL KEV, WHAT ABOUT SUMMER SLAM?
    avatar
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 7401
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 51
    Location : St. Charles, IL

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:03 am

    alohafri wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:

    If you're double booked on a travel and school team, travel clubs understand that kids play other sports and other teams.  Don't worry about if he makes the school team.  Just make school team a priority and club team secondary, and then he'll have many more games....assuming he wants many more games.  It may even turn out there's almost no conflict.  Then you'll be all set.

    You're obviously not from Naperville!

    I know little about Naperville.  I do know that soccer is a way of life in Kane County.  Kids come out of the womb playing it and teams from around here win state titles.  Every club team I've ever talked to about signing up my kid told me it would be fine if he was playing another sport, too, since they put enough on club teams to deal with no-shows.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Guest on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:12 am

    That's nice Rob

    Stan's team has 10 kids.  9 v 9 format.  Not sure how many on the A and B team.  But they had 52 kids try out.  think they could have had at least 12 on each team.  Then its 9 play, 3 sit, then rotate in sets of 3.  Good thing Stan was blessed with better than average cardio.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7173
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: My compliments

    Post by alohafri on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:13 am

    Soxillinirob wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:

    If you're double booked on a travel and school team, travel clubs understand that kids play other sports and other teams.  Don't worry about if he makes the school team.  Just make school team a priority and club team secondary, and then he'll have many more games....assuming he wants many more games.  It may even turn out there's almost no conflict.  Then you'll be all set.

    You're obviously not from Naperville!

    I know little about Naperville.  I do know that soccer is a way of life in Kane County.  Kids come out of the womb playing it and teams from around here win state titles.  Every club team I've ever talked to about signing up my kid told me it would be fine if he was playing another sport, too, since they put enough on club teams to deal with no-shows.

    It's actually sports in general here. Coaches at my school tell me that athletes regularly skip practices for practices or games on their traveling/club teams (at least at the junior high level). It's all about the club teams here.
    avatar
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 7401
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 51
    Location : St. Charles, IL

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:33 am

    alohafri wrote:
    It's actually sports in general here. Coaches at my school tell me that athletes regularly skip practices for practices or games on their traveling/club teams (at least at the junior high level). It's all about the club teams here.

    Oh, ok.  That's the same basic premise, though.  Two teams and if a conflict, deal with it, but if no conflict then you get twice as many games.  I can see a coach telling a kid that playing a game is better than showing up to a practice.
    avatar
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 7401
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 51
    Location : St. Charles, IL

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:35 am

    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:That's nice Rob

    Stan's team has 10 kids.  9 v 9 format.  Not sure how many on the A and B team.  But they had 52 kids try out.  think they could have had at least 12 on each team.  Then its 9 play, 3 sit, then rotate in sets of 3.  Good thing Stan was blessed with better than average cardio.

    That's ridiculous.  10 kids to play 9 spots?  Holy shit.  Zak's never been on a team of under 13-14.  Once in a while there are some kids gone and he'd get to play the whole game, but they usually all play about 75% of the clock time in the game.  Now, Zak's a goalkeeper, so he's usually just out there the whole time.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Guest on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45 am

    Well Kev and Rob,

    When you pay $1500 for a club, and the school is probably a fraction of that, if not free....

    Plus take into account that these clubs start around the 3rd grade level and a lot of these kids have been teammates for multiple seasons.....

    Then consider that some of these clubs are year round and some can afford to hire soccer professionals instead of a gym teacher that may or may have not played in high school....

    I guess it would boil down to which entity takes it more serious.  My guess is that the club wins out at the Jr high level in Plainfield.
    avatar
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

    Posts : 7173
    Join date : 2009-04-03
    Age : 50
    Location : Southwest Suburbs

    Re: My compliments

    Post by alohafri on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:55 am

    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Well Kev and Rob,

    When you pay $1500 for a club, and the school is probably a fraction of that, if not free....

    Plus take into account that these clubs start around the 3rd grade level and a lot of these kids have been teammates for multiple seasons.....

    Then consider that some of these clubs are year round and some can afford to hire soccer professionals instead of a gym teacher that may or may have not played in high school....

    I guess it would boil down to which entity takes it more serious.  My guess is that the club wins out at the Jr high level in Plainfield.

    My suggestion is "don't over-schedule your kid". Make them make a decision (or if they are too young, make it for them) . It isn't fair to the teammates on the team you are foresaking because of a financial investment.
    avatar
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 7401
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 51
    Location : St. Charles, IL

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:04 am

    alohafri wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Well Kev and Rob,

    When you pay $1500 for a club, and the school is probably a fraction of that, if not free....

    Plus take into account that these clubs start around the 3rd grade level and a lot of these kids have been teammates for multiple seasons.....

    Then consider that some of these clubs are year round and some can afford to hire soccer professionals instead of a gym teacher that may or may have not played in high school....

    I guess it would boil down to which entity takes it more serious.  My guess is that the club wins out at the Jr high level in Plainfield.

    My suggestion is "don't over-schedule your kid". Make them make a decision (or if they are too young, make it for them) . It isn't fair to the teammates on the team you are foresaking because of a financial investment.

    Sometimes you just aren't sure if you are overscheduling.  I think in Kark's case, he's trying to decide whether to try out for club soccer or wait and see if Stan makes the school team.  There's a degree of uncertainty.  Perfect example...I signed my son up for his customary fall baseball league here in our neighborhood.  He also tried out for and made a new travel team for next season.  Turns out that after making the travel team, they said they have a fall team, too, so that the kids can get used to playing from 60/90 before next season (they played at 54/80 this year).  So now, by no original intent on our part, he's booked for as many as 4 games per weekend until Halloween, along with a weekly soccer game.  He'll just show up for all of his originally scheduled fall games, and make whatever travel team games he can manage.  Sometimes it happens by accident.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Guest on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:06 am

    alohafri wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Well Kev and Rob,

    When you pay $1500 for a club, and the school is probably a fraction of that, if not free....

    Plus take into account that these clubs start around the 3rd grade level and a lot of these kids have been teammates for multiple seasons.....

    Then consider that some of these clubs are year round and some can afford to hire soccer professionals instead of a gym teacher that may or may have not played in high school....

    I guess it would boil down to which entity takes it more serious.  My guess is that the club wins out at the Jr high level in Plainfield.

    My suggestion is "don't over-schedule your kid". Make them make a decision (or if they are too young, make it for them) . It isn't fair to the teammates on the team you are foresaking because of a financial investment.


    AGREED

    SO FAR, I HAVE DONE A GREAT JOB.  ONLY CONFLICT IN 5 YEARS WAS A SCOUTING EVENT THE SAME DAY AS THE HONORS CHOIR SHOW.  AND BOY WAS STAN'S MUSIC TEACHER PO'd WHEN WE PICKED SCOUTING.  HAD TO TELL HER GOD TRUMPS GOVERNMENT....

    LMAO

    NOW ITS MEGANS TURN.  SCOUTS, SPORTS, MUSIC, STRAIGHT A'S.....   I SHOULD WRITE A BOOK ON HOW TO RAISE RENNAISSANCE CHILDREN!!!!
    avatar
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

    Posts : 3603
    Join date : 2009-04-05
    Age : 57
    Location : Spokane, WA

    Re: My compliments

    Post by jaywit on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:47 am

    TeleFrank wrote:Have to congratulate most of you for keeping this corner of the internet fairly empty. Not wasting space on the White Sox 2015. (Besides of course the obvious people.) I would like to think that you have discovered that your wife is a great lady to talk to and the kids aren't too bad either. That you never knew that that park down the block was so pretty. That those books you were going to read have been a real pleasure to read. Keep up the good work folks. This team is not worth any of our precious time.

    I had pretty high hopes heading into this season having become a quasi-fan of the Mariners (who many experts predicted to be in the Series) and also having the "new and improved" Sox.  Pretty sad when both teams' seasons were virtually over before the Stanley Cup was won.  I went straight from hockey to waiting for football.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Guest on Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:43 pm

    Soxillinirob wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:That's nice Rob

    Stan's team has 10 kids.  9 v 9 format.  Not sure how many on the A and B team.  But they had 52 kids try out.  think they could have had at least 12 on each team.  Then its 9 play, 3 sit, then rotate in sets of 3.  Good thing Stan was blessed with better than average cardio.

    That's ridiculous.  10 kids to play 9 spots?  Holy shit.  Zak's never been on a team of under 13-14.  Once in a while there are some kids gone and he'd get to play the whole game, but they usually all play about 75% of the clock time in the game.  Now, Zak's a goalkeeper, so he's usually just out there the whole time.


    something had to get screwed up.  52 kids tried out.  they were only suppose to cut 10-13.  maybe the rest got sticker shock.  2 years ago, I took Stan to  the try out.  But 10 minutes into it, rain came and it was cancelled.  at the time, I thought $300-400 for this.  At the try out, found out $1500.  we never came back.


    supposedly, there will be some swapping between the A, B, C teams.  would love to see Stan move up to A or B

    Sponsored content

    Re: My compliments

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:05 pm