Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

STAY THE COURSE!!!

STAY THE COURSE!!!

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:06 pm

ONLY 4 GAMES UNDER 500!!!!!!

ONLY 5 GAMES OUT OF THE 2ND WILDCARD!!!!!!!!!!

ONLY 6 TEAMS TO CLIMB OVER, 4 OF WHICH ARE SUB 500!!!!!!!!!

Now is not the time to be salary dumping.  Which means we keep Samardzija a White Sox until the better end.  Ditto Alexi Ramirez.

If the So need to do anything, it would be to rent a slugger.  I would think a couple of minor league power arms would be enough.  Or maybe a 3 way where they send Danks and one of their overstock middle relievers.

Regardless, the White Sox should not be writing off 2015.  Let's be honest.  Nobody wants to face Chris Sale in the post season.  Chris Sale is the great equalizer.  Chris Sale is the horse we can ride.

This team is finally playing up to its capabilities.  Now is not the time to throw away your chance at the post season because you think you need to get something for Samardzija and Ramirez.  Because the best thing you can get from these 2 would be 2015 post season memories.

A true White Sox fan would trust in his team and believe we can win this.

And just how funny would it be to watch the White Sox play in the post season while the Cubs and their great rebuild sit at home

REINSDORF WILL WIN HIS 2ND B4 RICKETTS WINS HIS 1ST!!!
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Re: STAY THE COURSE!!!

Post by Shooters Buffet on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:29 pm

SLAP THE SALAMI!!

BELIEVE!!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:57 pm

This team is finally playing up to its capabilities. 

Sounds like their teasing your prick again. The only thing I wonder about this clown act is whether or not they can find a way to dump that useless Adam LaRoche. Somebody tell Kenny Williams there's no obligation to sign and overpay a washed-up slugger to be your DH!! This team won a world series with Crazy Carl Everett as their DH for crying out loud!!
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:29 pm

This miraculous comeback has featured the disappearance from the field of the useless GORDON BECKHAM!!  Stiff Gillaspie actually GONE.

Maybe STIFF GORDO does not factor in to the KENNY WILLIAMS THREE YEAR PLAN!!

BEAT THE HELL OUT OF CLEVELAND!!

STOMP THE DOGSHIT OUT OF BOSTON!!

WHITE SOX PRIDE!!

BELIEVE!!!

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:19 am

Maybe STIFF GORDO does not factor in to the KENNY WILLIAMS THREE YEAR PLAN!!
    Hey genius!!!!!!!

Gordo was brought back as a 1 year insurance policy!!!!!!!!

Gordo did not take away time from anybody that doesn't deserve it!!!!!!!

Gordo is not the reason OUR White Sox scored 3 or less runs in 46 of the first 90 games!!!!!

The fact that OUR White Sox are actually in a position to fight for the 2nd wildcard despite the historically pathetic 1st half offense is a testament to the heart of OUR team.

So excuse me while MY White Sox do what YOUR Cubs can't!!!!!

Reinsdorf will win his 2nd b4 rickets wins his 1st

BELIEVE!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:00 pm

[quote="tHe SicKo FANt"]Maybe STIFF GORDO does not factor in to the KENNY WILLIAMS THREE YEAR PLAN!!
    Hey genius!!!!!!!

He should be selling insurance. If he had been limited strictly to pinch-hitting and late inning defensive replacement, that's fine. But noooo, Ventura predictably fell for this ridiculous "insurance" theory and used him as a starter from mid May to late June, which also happened to be the Sox's worst stretch this season. As a starter, Gordo is hitting a cool .171 with a .462 OPS. He's the worst hitter on the AL's worst offense. With Saladino up, Sanchez finally playing decently, and Johnson hitting .323 in AAA, Sox need to face reality. Gordo has no business in a major league uniform anymore.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:06 pm

He's the worst hitter on the AL's worst offense. With Saladino up, Sanchez finally playing decently, and Johnson hitting .323 in AAA, Sox need to face reality. Gordo has no business in a major league uniform anymore.

Not that he cares. His spot in Cooperstown is a given! cheers

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:18 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Maybe STIFF GORDO does not factor in to the KENNY WILLIAMS THREE YEAR PLAN!!
    Hey genius!!!!!!!

He should be selling insurance.  If he had been limited strictly to pinch-hitting and late inning defensive replacement, that's fine.  But noooo, Ventura predictably fell for this ridiculous "insurance" theory and used him as a starter from mid May to late June, which also  happened to be the Sox's worst stretch this season.  As a starter, Gordo is hitting a cool .171 with a .462 OPS.  He's the worst hitter on the AL's worst offense.  With Saladino up, Sanchez finally playing decently, and Johnson hitting .323 in AAA,  Sox need to face reality.  Gordo has no business in a major league uniform anymore.

Either him or Emily Bonaduce

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Another thing Roger, the whole infield was sucking out loud the first half.  I think you assertion that Ventura just had to play Beckham is putting the cart b4 the horse.  Beckham's role increased because, at the time he was hitting and the others weren't.

BTW in May and June Beckham had just under 70 plate appearance in each month.  For comparison, Alexi Ramirez had over 100 each.  So this impression you are giving that Ventura just started throwing Beckham out there everyday starting in May is a bit of an exaggeration.

Also, from 5/15 from 5/31 OUR White Sox WL record went from 15-17 to 23-26, really not fair to include that as part of your worst stretch of the year.  Now in June, OUR White Sox went 10-16.  While Beckham's 425 OPS played a part, is was hardly the driving force.

Finally, given that Beckham has only 28 plate appearances in July, I would say OUR White Sox have faced reality concerning Gordon Beckham.  Beckham still being on the club is not some irrational Beckham love that you claim is happening.  More like the reality that the last 2 or 3 men on the roster will always be at that replacement level.  Usually surpassing it by a hair.  Gordon Beckham has the best hair on OUR White Sox.

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:40 pm

Either him or Emily Bonaduce

Exactly.. dump Emily and bring up Johnson ..go young ..increase the energy. I doubt Solidino is the long term answer to 3b (no power), but go with the young guys
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:09 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Another thing Roger, the whole infield was sucking out loud the first half.  I think you assertion that Ventura just had to play Beckham is putting the cart b4 the horse.  Beckham's role increased because, at the time he was hitting and the others weren't.

BTW in May and June Beckham had just under 70 plate appearance in each month.  For comparison, Alexi Ramirez had over 100 each.  So this impression you are giving that Ventura just started throwing Beckham out there everyday starting in May is a bit of an exaggeration.

Also, from 5/15 from 5/31 OUR White Sox WL record went from 15-17 to 23-26, really not fair to include that as part of your worst stretch of the year.  Now in June, OUR White Sox went 10-16.  While Beckham's 425 OPS played a part, is was hardly the driving force.

Finally, given that Beckham has only 28 plate appearances in July, I would say OUR White Sox have faced reality concerning Gordon Beckham.  Beckham still being on the club is not some irrational Beckham love that you claim is happening.  More like the reality that the last 2 or 3 men on the roster will always be at that replacement level.  Usually surpassing it by a hair.  Gordon Beckham has the best hair on OUR White Sox.

Agree, but don't you want to give these guys as few AB's possible ? Why should a bench scrub be starting 70% of the games as Gordo was doing from late May through early July ?  Sure, the other options weren't very pretty either. But Gordo should have been on the pine in early June when he was into his usual downward spiral.
    My beef with this signing not only was it was totally unnecessary but it was delusional, and as a result, Sox would find ways to give Gordo more AB's than he deserved.  He's just another typical no-hit, good glove utility IFers. Sox already had three of those in minors (Sanchez, Saladino, Johnson). and had just signed Bonifacio.  WTF was the rationale for paying $ 2 mil for something you already had in over-abundance?  But trumpets blared. Hahn said Beckham could play multiple positions and "even start". That was the first uh-oh   Then there was some nonsense that it was good for Gordo to have had this "break" to play with the Angels so that he could come back to Sox with his head cleared and "with less pressure" on him.  The dream of Gordo finally turning the corner was still alive.  At times, it seems this club could be talked into believing in the Easter Bunny. 

Bottom line: now that Gordo is finally on the bench and Saladino and Sanchez are playing well, it has helped.  Not as much as Eaton and Melky finally performing, but if Gordon is DFA'ed , as he should be, it would finally purge the Sox of at least some measure of self-delusion.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:23 pm

Wasn't it Hawkeroo who said that the Gordon signing was the best move they made in the off season???

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:07 am

WTF was the rationale for paying $ 2 mil for something you already had in over-abundance? 

1) $2mil in baseball terms is peanuts.
    2) Sanchez and Salidino made sense starting in the minors so they could play everyday
    3) Johnson was the everyday 2B until he played himself out of that role
    4) Give me Beckham over a 12th or 13th pitcher

It seems to me the only player that was hurt by Ventura's alledged Beckham Love was Bonaduce.  Is there really a difference between the two?!?!?!

Again, you and the rest of this board seem to forget that the 24th and 25th man are going to have major wholes in their game.  The skills Beckham does have seems to fit what the team looked like on paper.  the real problem is, the team didn't play like the one on paper.

As for releasing Beckham, I'd probably release Bonaduce first.  In fact, I'd release him today to bring up George Kottaras as the #3 catcher.  Let's see if he can keep his walk rate up against righthanders.

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:15 am

but if Gordon is DFA'ed , as he should be, it would finally purge the Sox of at least some measure of self-delusion.

AGAIN, FAIL TO SEE THE SELF DELUSION.  BECKHAM WAS SIGNED TO BE A BENCHWARMER.  HE DIDN'T START REGULARLY UNTIL GUYS LIKE JOHNSON AND GILLESPIR PLAYED THERE WAY OUT OF JOBS.  BECKHAM WAS GIVEN A CHANCE AND WAS REPLACED AS SOON AS HE PLAYED HIS WAY OUT.  AGAIN, IF YOU ARE A BENCH PLAYER, ITS USUALLY BECAUSE YOU HAVE A MAJOR HOLE IN YOUR GAME.

THAT SAID, IF THE SOX GET SOMEONE LIKE ADAM LIND OR CHRIS DAVIS FOR THE STRETCH RUN, BECKHAM WOULD BE ON THE SHORT LIST OF WHO NEEDS TO BE CUT.  BUT BECKHAM IS STILL BETTER THAN THE 11TH, 12TH, OR 13TH OITCHER IN MY NOT SO HUMBLE OPINION

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:27 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    Again, you and the rest of this board seem to forget that the 24th and 25th man are going to have major wholes in their game.  The skills Beckham does have seems to fit what the team looked like on paper.  the real problem is, the team didn't play like the one on paper.

The problem was that Beckham was playing whole games, pretty much game after game.  He became a semi-regular instead of a bench option.  Perhaps it's not all that surprising that the Sox are now winning while Beckham is sitting.  Anyway, the only paper where Beckham seems to be a natural on is the kind you flush.

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:39 am

Mart, the only reason Beckham became a semi regular is that the rest of the infield also played like crap.

BTW, my defense of Beckham should not be confused with Brokeback Beckham syndrome.  I am just refuting this silly assertion that Beckham is somehow the cause of the White Sox whoa's.  The whole damn offense has under performed this year.  so to proclaim giving a measly $2mil to Beckham is some kind of disaster is a silly over exaggerasation.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:48 am

Cream1953 wrote:Wasn't it Hawkeroo who said that the Gordon signing was the best move they made in the off season???
    Until recently, Hawk was CORRECT!!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:57 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:but if Gordon is DFA'ed , as he should be, it would finally purge the Sox of at least some measure of self-delusion.

AGAIN, FAIL TO SEE THE SELF DELUSION.  BECKHAM WAS SIGNED TO BE A BENCHWARMER.  HE DIDN'T START REGULARLY UNTIL GUYS LIKE JOHNSON AND GILLESPIR PLAYED THERE WAY OUT OF JOBS.  BECKHAM WAS GIVEN A CHANCE AND WAS REPLACED AS SOON AS HE PLAYED HIS WAY OUT.  AGAIN, IF YOU ARE A BENCH PLAYER, ITS USUALLY BECAUSE YOU HAVE A MAJOR HOLE IN YOUR GAME.

Beckham didn't replace Micah Johnson.  Carlos Sanchez did.  One of the few things right that Ventura did was not to give up on Sanchez when he was hitting well below .200.  If Alexei becomes a free agent, Sanchez could move over to shortstop next season.

Who Beckham replaced was Gillaspie.  Gillaspie hit ok playing regularly in 2013 and 2014, far from great - but ok.  He fell apart this season having to play sporadically so Ventura could get Beckham into the lineup.  Anyway the Sox have needed an upgrade at 3B.  Perhaps that upgrade will be Tyler Saladino who has shown good speed and some power in the minors.  We will see as he gets more playing time.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:14 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Mart, the only reason Beckham became a semi regular is that the rest of the infield also played like crap.

BTW, my defense of Beckham should not be confused with Brokeback Beckham syndrome.  I am just refuting this silly assertion that Beckham is somehow the cause of the White Sox whoa's.  The whole damn offense has under performed this year.  so to proclaim giving a measly $2mil to Beckham is some kind of disaster is a silly over exaggerasation.

Kark, Roger called it right during the offseason after the Sox signed Beckham.  Stupid Ventura found a way to get the stiff into the lineup far more often than he should have.  At least it wasn't at Carlos Sanchez's expense.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:28 am

I'm just hoping that if the Sox get rid of Gordo, they will trade for that other Beckham on the Rays and give him jersey number 15.  That way John doesn't have to replace his wardrobe. Smile

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:36 am

Beckham was a logical signing that just didn't work out.  I doubt anybody foresaw a 190 avg.

Beckham finding his way into the lineup had more to do with others playing their way out of it.  So I find it very difficult to blame Ventura when it was the young millioniares that placed him between Iraq and a hard on.

Had OUR White Sox known Dizzie Gillaspie would have played his way out of the organization, I'm sure the White Sox would have pursued a different course of action.

Again, this board needs to realize that when you are filling out the bottom of the roster, you will usually be stuck picking between the Gordon Beckham's of the world.

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:47 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:I'm just hoping that if the Sox get rid of Gordo, they will trade for that other Beckham on the Rays and give him jersey number 15.  That way John doesn't have to replace his wardrobe. Smile

For the record, the KARK has no problem moving Beckham off the 25 man roster.  The lineup did not develop as planned.  Instead of worrying about how many at bats Beckham got in June, OUR White Sox need to figure out how to limit the at bats of Larouche and possibly Garcia in August and September.

as of this posting, OUR White Sox are 1 game under 500 and have only 4 teams to climb over for the 2nd wildcard.  the playoffs our a very realistic possibility.  They have about 36 hours to find a rent a hitter.  I would think Adam Lind or Chris Davis or Youenis Cepednis would be available for cheap.  Heck, I bet Jake Petricka could land anyone of them.  If OUR White Sox could land 2 of the 3, or the equivalent there of, then its time to start printing playoff tickets.

BTW, given Luery Garcia's speed, maybe he trumps Beckham and Bonaduce.  Kottaras sure does at this point of the season
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:51 am

I doubt anybody foresaw a 190 avg.

It's a hell of a lot easier to forsee a 190 for this stiff than it is to think he'd ever hit something like 280. Indeed, during his entire tenure with the Sox has Gordo ever sniffed 300 for any length of time?
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:55 am

given Luery Garcia's speed

It's a sad commentary on the White Sox that we ever have to even reference this guy's name. Good grief. Has he ever placed the bat on the ball in his entire major league career?

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:03 am

Cream1953 wrote:given Luery Garcia's speed

It's a sad commentary on the White Sox that we ever have to even reference this guy's name. Good grief. Has he ever placed the bat on the ball in his entire major league career?

MAYBE IF OUR WHITE SOX WOULD DROP DOWN TO 10 PITCHERS, THEN MAYBE LUERY GARCIA COULD PLAY HERB WASHINGTON FOR A MONTH OR SO.

ANOTHER THING THIS BOARD SEEMS TO FORGET, THAT LAST MAN ON THE BENCH DOESN'T NEED TO HIT.  IF USED PROPERLY, ALL HIS TIME WILL BE DEFENSE AND PINCH RUNNING AND HE'LL BE LUCKY TO GET 2 AB A WEEK.  LOOK UP MIKE SQUIRES IN 1983 TO SEE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:45 am