Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

The Jake

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

The Jake

Post by alohafri on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:12 pm

So as part of our road trip to Niagara Falls this week, we stopped in Cleveland to watch the battle for last place at Progressive Field on Friday night. I was actually very impressed with the parts of Cleveland I saw, starting with the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame. What a great part of the trip that was! If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend that museum.

For those of you who have never been to Progressive Field, it is right next to the Quicken Loan Center where the Cavs play. I'm not sure what they do for parking when both teams are in town, but there are a few pretty large parking garages nearby. I noticed that Indian fans are like Sox fans...they break bad when their team is playing poorly. We sat in the upper deck (which is every bit as steep as the one at the Cell, if not moreso) next to a couple of Indians fans. It seemed like we were in a contest to see who could say the most bad things about their team.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Jake. It was nice, but not much better than post-improvement Cell. Unlike the Cell, you can't see the field if you are walking on the concourse. So if you are walking around and hear something going on, you may not find out what you missed. One thing I found very odd was the placement of home plate. It was in the southwest corner of the field, facing northeast. That was something I didn't think they did (I though all home plates were situated so they were facing an easterly direction). What I did like was the beer selection. If you wanted it, they pretty much had it...Bud, Coors, Miller, Yuengling, microbrews of all kinds. They even had a "Not Your Father's Root Beer" station.

Cleveland has a great bar district near the stadiums. There were enough bars for all types there. Some were party central, like you see at the Shrine, and others were buzzing, but not so loud that you couldn't hear yourself think. Check out the City Club Cleveland and the Winking Lizard if you go. We stayed at the Radisson about a block away from the ballpark, so the Yuengling was flowing, with our car safely tucked away for the night.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: The Jake

Post by alohafri on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:36 pm

And that guy pounding on the drum in center field is more annoying in person than he is on television.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:55 pm

alohafri wrote:And that guy pounding on the drum in center field is more annoying in person than he is on television.
    That's John Adams and he has been around since Jimmy Piersall was doing the games on TV with Harry Carey.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:28 pm

That's John Adams and he has been around since Jimmy Piersall was doing the games on TV with Harry Carey.

How nice. It doesn't make him any less annoying. 
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Cream1953 wrote:That's John Adams and he has been around since Jimmy Piersall was doing the games on TV with Harry Carey.

He annoyed Jimmy over 30 yrs ago......LOL
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:47 pm

Does he wear pants?
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:49 pm

alohafri wrote:One thing I found very odd was the placement of home plate. It was in the southwest corner of the field, facing northeast.

Wasn't Old Comiskey's also on the SW corner?  Has that changed for all the new parks?  I obviously have never paid attention.  I sure wish New Comiskey was facing downtown like the old one was.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:52 pm

Cream1953 wrote:That's John Adams and he has been around since Jimmy Piersall was doing the games on TV with Harry Carey.

I thought he had been dead going on 200 years!!  He sure plays like it.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    alohafri wrote:One thing I found very odd was the placement of home plate. It was in the southwest corner of the field, facing northeast.

Wasn't Old Comiskey's also on the SW corner?  Has that changed for all the new parks?  I obviously have never paid attention.  I sure wish New Comiskey was facing downtown like the old one was.
    ALL Major Leauge Ballparks (unless they are domed stadiums where the roof does not open) must face either NE OR SW because of the sun. 

Comiskey park faced NE ala Wrigley Field, Comiskey Park the 2nd faces SW.

BTW, from the OLDEN DAYS----thats why a lefthanded pitcher is called a "southpaw". When the ball is released from his hand it comes from the southeast or southwest.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:24 pm

sox55 wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:

ALL Major Leauge Ballparks (unless they are domed stadiums where the roof does not open) must face either NE OR SW because of the sun. 

BTW, from the OLDEN DAYS----thats why a lefthanded pitcher is called a "southpaw". When the ball is released from his hand it comes from the southeast or southwest.

I typed incorrectly. Home plate at the Jake faces northwest.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:07 pm

sox55 wrote:

My sense of direction has always been really screwy.  I thought the New Comiskey faced SE.  Isn't looking out to CF also looking across the Dan Ryan at the old projects? Losing your mind is a terrible thing.  Mine is going, going...
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:40 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    sox55 wrote:

My sense of direction has always been really screwy.  I thought the New Comiskey faced SE.  Isn't looking out to CF also looking across the Dan Ryan at the old projects? Losing your mind is a terrible thing.  Mine is going, going...
    Nomads ---YOU are correct. 
    I meant to post NE and SE are the directions ballparks may face.
    Comiskey Park-2 faces SE.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 pm