Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

All Star Break

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

All Star Break

Post by alohafri on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:03 pm

Did MLB ever make a formal announcement about the All Star break going to four days instead of the traditional three, or did they just sneak it in hoping no one would notice?
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: All Star Break

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:10 pm

I thought it was 3 days until I read your post and then checked it out. Yup, it's 4. I guess these hard-working millionaires who work 6 months out of the year need some extra time off. They're so precious.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:13 pm

My guess is they did it for scheduling so as to have normal weekend Series, instead of having the odd Thurs/Fri followed by a Sat/Sun/Mon series.  Maybe a concession for the extra interdivisional game or games required every day.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:28 pm

Seems to me it's been a four day break for several years now.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:17 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:Seems to me it's been a four day break for several years now.

It has been. For a couple of years it was about half the teams started up again on Thursday, and the rest on Friday. 

Now, if I was commissioner, other than reinstating a few players, I'd make that Thursday after the All Star break into a make up day.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:35 am

I'd make that Thursday after the All Star break into a make up day.

Excellent idea....which means it'll never fly. 

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:37 am

All I care about the All-Star break is A) I'm going to the game, and b) the Hawk says the Sox should be "feeling pretty good about themselves" for the second half

BTW - with 4 days off until the next day, can someone explain to me why Abreu had to sit out sunday's game? Must have been one hell of a Saturday night binge

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Chi-kid wrote:All I care about the All-Star break is A) I'm going to the game, and b) the Hawk says the Sox should be "feeling pretty good about themselves" for the second half

BTW - with 4 days off until the next day, can someone explain to me why Abreu had to sit out sunday's game? Must have been one hell of a Saturday night binge

Robin said sore leg and "finger". Also tough right hander. Didn't like the way he came out of slide at second base, but said more concerned about finger. Gives him 5 days rest. Also said that might have something to do with the lower home run production his year. (think maybe he could have pinch hit)

The above remarks are a paraphrase of Robin Ventura and not necessarily the opinion of the author of this post!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:52 pm

the Hawk says the Sox should be "feeling pretty good about themselves" for the second half

Feeling good about what? Scoring one fucking run a game? I see yet another offensive outburst yesterday. In all the years I've been watching baseball I don't recall ever seeing anything like the numbers these clowns are putting up. Holy shit....unless they're doing it deliberately, this is bordering upon the supernatural.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:54 pm

All I care about the All-Star break is A) I'm going to the game,

Have fun Tim!!!

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Cream1953 wrote:the Hawk says the Sox should be "feeling pretty good about themselves" for the second half

Feeling good about what? Scoring one fucking run a game? I see yet another offensive outburst yesterday. In all the years I've been watching baseball I don't recall ever seeing anything like the numbers these clowns are putting up. Holy shit....unless they're doing it deliberately, this is bordering upon the supernatural.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    As mentioned by Telander today, they took 2-3 from Cubs scoring 7 runs in the SERIES.
    They are last in the MAJORS in runs, slugging %, RBI, OPS, total bases and even AT-BATS! Does sound supernatural!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:12 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:Feeling good about what? Scoring one fucking run a game? I see yet another offensive outburst yesterday. In all the years I've been watching baseball I don't recall ever seeing anything like the numbers these clowns are putting up. Holy shit....unless they're doing it deliberately, this is bordering upon the supernatural.
    s mentioned by Telander today, they took 2-3 from Cubs scoring 7 runs in the SERIES. They are last in the MAJORS in runs, slugging %, RBI, OPS, total bases and even AT-BATS! Does  sound supernatural!

Hawk obviously believes the Sox should feel confident now about their 9-3 record as of late.   They have been the best team in the AL in July - due to pitching of course (2.03 ERA for the month, best in the AL).  Even the hitting has gotten slightly better lately (Sox "climbed" to 9th in OPS this month).  As you note, Frank, they're still at the bottom of the barrel offensively over the whole season though.

Clearly the first week out of the AS break will be telling.  Knowing Kenny and his "win-now" mentality, if Sox keep winning over next 10-11 games we not see any "we're sellin''" flag waving come trade deadline.

One stretch that could prove to be a season killer was May 18 - June 28 when Sox went 14-25.  They had actuall
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:25 am

Latest Local TV Ratings....

.08!!!!

Seems not to many are hanging on Hawk's every word!!

Less than 36,000 households per game.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:45 pm

alohafri wrote:Did MLB ever make a formal announcement about the All Star break going to four days instead of the traditional three, or did they just sneak it in hoping no one would notice?
    It's the break ? Figures nothing else on TV to watch and I can't even laugh at the Sox ! 

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:55 pm

alohafri wrote:Did MLB ever make a formal announcement about the All Star break going to four days instead of the traditional three, or did they just sneak it in hoping no one would notice?

++++++++++++++++++++++++
    among other things, since the home field advantage for the World Series is involved, they CAN'T have a rainout so need the extra day just in case of two days of rain- and as mentioned, can have traditional weekend games

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:38 pm