Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Verne Gagne

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Verne Gagne

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:27 am

A name from the past- from a time when I believed that wrestling was real and he was one of the good guys, Champ a number of times.
    What I didn't know (saw in obit today) was he was 4 time Big Ten champ, 2 time NCAA champ and an AAU champ.
    Also eventually became sole owner of WWA.
    Heard some of you guys mention Ric Flair (had no idea who he was or is) and he said he went to Gagne for training but quit after first day because it was too hard. Said Gagne went to his house, threw him out into the yard and said you're not quitting me. went back for two days and quit again. But apparently went back because he said "He made me who I am."
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Verne Gagne

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:07 pm

Hell, I thought he'd been dead for 20 years. I thought he looked old when I was a kid. A legendary name though I don't recall ever seeing him actually "wrestle".

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:31 pm

[quote="Cream1953"]Hell, I thought he'd been dead for 20 years. I thought he looked old when I was a kid. A legendary name though I don't recall ever seeing him actually "wrestle".[/quote

He turned pro in 1950. Was active through late 50's and 60's.
    Said he joined WWA when it started in 1960 and he became a promoter in 60s and 70s but remained an ACTIVE competitor until the early 80's. He held the WWA Heavyweight Championship 10 times between 1960n and 1981. He was born in 1926!!! so he would have been 55.
    He had dementia and was thrown out of nursing home and lived with daughter.
    Another resident got in a scuffle with him in 2009 and died of complications of a broken hip suffered when he was thrown to the floor!
    No charges were filed. Both men had dementia and could not recall what happened.!!!

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:57 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Hell, I thought he'd been dead for 20 years. I thought he looked old when I was a kid. A legendary name though I don't recall ever seeing him actually "wrestle".

DynaPower kept him alive  (or whatever that protein mix he hawked on TV was called)
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:51 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:Hell, I thought he'd been dead for 20 years. I thought he looked old when I was a kid. A legendary name though I don't recall ever seeing him actually "wrestle".[/quote

He turned pro in 1950. Was active through late 50's and 60's.
    Said he joined WWA when it started in 1960 and he became a promoter in 60s and 70s but remained an ACTIVE competitor until the early 80's. He held the WWA Heavyweight Championship 10 times between 1960n and 1981. He was born in 1926!!! so he would have been 55.
    He had dementia and was thrown out of nursing home and lived with daughter.
    Another resident got in a scuffle with him in 2009 and died of complications of a broken hip suffered when he was thrown to the floor!
    No charges were filed. Both men had dementia and could not recall what happened.!!!

WWA was a misprint in the obits. It was the AWA.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 pm