Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Q should be the home opener

Q should be the home opener

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:34 am

The poster formerly known as KARK makes Quintana the home opener

1) His carer splits shows much greater success againt the Twins
    2) It keeps him seperated from Danks in the rotation
    3) Danks splits show more success against the Royals
    4) Sox fans deserve to see one of the big 3 on Opening Day
    5) April Matters
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Re: Q should be the home opener

Post by sox55 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:05 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:The poster formerly known as KARK makes Quintana the home opener

1) His carer splits shows much greater success againt the Twins
    2) It keeps him seperated from Danks in the rotation
    3) Danks splits show more success against the Royals
    4) Sox fans deserve to see one of the big 3 on Opening Day
    5) April Matters
    Noessi has the the home opener.

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:24 am

Bummer

Lazy thinking on Ventura and Cooper

Oh Well, could still get lucky
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 pm

Noessi has the the home opener. 

Wowser. Dumbfuck Ventura sure knows how to ratchet up the excitement doesn't he?

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:56 am

So is Samardzija has the Season Opener, and Noesi Home Opener, doesn't that mean Quintana and Danks go back to back?

Now I must admit, things like a mechanical sound pitching motion or a mechanical sound batting stance are not my strong suit.  That said, I was under the impression that its best to avoid pitching too similar lefties back to back.

Is the poster formerly known as KARK missing something here?

Where is the COACH when you need him?
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:38 am

Father of Stan wrote:So is Samardzija has the Season Opener, and Noesi Home Opener, doesn't that mean Quintana and Danks go back to back?

Now I must admit, things like a mechanical sound pitching motion or a mechanical sound batting stance are not my strong suit.  That said, I was under the impression that its best to avoid pitching too similar lefties back to back.

I tend to lean this way, too.  However, I'm not sure I'd call Danks and Q "similar lefties" unless by similar you mean that they are both lefty.  I see them as having somewhat different pitching styles.

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:16 am

Soxillinirob wrote:
    Father of Stan wrote:So is Samardzija has the Season Opener, and Noesi Home Opener, doesn't that mean Quintana and Danks go back to back?

I tend to lean this way, too.  However, I'm not sure I'd call Danks and Q "similar lefties" unless by similar you mean that they are both lefty.  I see them as having somewhat different pitching styles.

they are both lefties and neither are considered flamethrowers, so yes, that is what I mean by similar

Now if that fails to meet the actual definition of similar, I defer to your superior game playing knowledge.  After all, aren't you playing semi pro ball?  Or something damn close to it.

That said, given Q's career splits against the Twins, I sure hope he gets a start against them.  given his career splits against the Royals, would not have hurt to hold him out until Game 4, the home opener
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:44 am

Father of Stan wrote:they are both lefties and neither are considered flamethrowers, so yes, that is what I mean by similar

Now if that fails to meet the actual definition of similar, I defer to your superior game playing knowledge.  After all, aren't you playing semi pro ball?  Or something damn close to it.

That said, given Q's career splits against the Twins, I sure hope he gets a start against them.  given his career splits against the Royals, would not have hurt to hold him out until Game 4, the home opener

Semi pro ball?  Um, if by semi-pro you mean a bunch of creaky old fuckers running around on a baseball field pretending we can still play, then by all means YES, I'm a semi-pro.  Our league is sort of like little league for old guys.  Uniforms, umps, four bases, strikeouts, errors.  We mostly suck, but have fun doing it.

Q and Danks aren't flamethrowers, but I see Q as having a very good, sneaky fastball.  Danks has nothing close to a good fastball anymore.  Danks is finesse.  Q is both power and finesse.  Much different windups and deliveries, too.  Neither guy is huge or throwing the ball 95 mph, so I can understand the comparison.  In the past, I've compared Q to Buehrle, but that's a bad comparison.  Danks is closer to Buehrle in terms of stature and delivery.  Q is closer to Buehrle in terms of effectiveness.  I suspect that if you spoke to hitters that have faced Q, they'd say he has a 91-92 mph fastball, but it looks/feels like 94-95.  He gets that effect by having a very quiet, still, tidy wind-up, and then an explosive delivery.  Keeps hitters off balance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:34 am