Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Adam Eaton Extended another five years

Re: Adam Eaton Extended another five years

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:00 am

Blah blah blah

Wake me when it actually happens

Until then, I refuse to get excited over Mr Mediocre and his alledged bargain basement deal.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:03 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Blah blah blah

Until then, I refuse to get excited over Mr Mediocre and his alledged bargain basement deal.

Settle down Sicko. At least they didn't use the money to sign another reliever.

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:05 am

In 1983, Rudy Law was 26. Last MLB season, 1986. Sometimes players just fall completely apart.

At last Law had season worth remembering.

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:09 am

alohafri wrote:

Should you be in Blago's Cell whining about parents that demand results for their tax dollars
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:17 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

Should you be in Blago's Cell whining about parents that demand results for their tax dollars

Again, words in people's mouths.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:59 pm

Mediocre...didn't he have a WAR of like 5+ last year if I remember correctly?  Shit, man.  If he can carry a WAR of 3 for the next five years, I'm good with that.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:02 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:

Mediocre...didn't he have a WAR of like 5+ last year if I remember correctly?  Shit, man.  If he can carry a WAR of 3 for the next five years, I'm good with that.

Rob, that 5 made him nearly as valuable as Abreu, but it was based on Baseball Reference's defensive metric which had Eaton as a great CFer.  Fan Graphs uses UZR which has Eaton as slightly above avg. defender and his WAR was 3.  Whatever.  Even at 3 WAR, that makes him worth $ 9 mil per year.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:19 am

Kark's focus has always been on the 24th and 25th roster spot.

WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK!!!

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:32 am

Kark's focus has always been on the 24th and 25th roster spot.
    WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK!!

The 24th and 25th players?

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:06 pm

I love it. RobZ is the first to question if Eaton can stay healthy throughout the deal, now he is acting like a 5WAR a year is a foregone conclusion just because the KARK is yet to be impressed by the runt

The Sox already had him under control for not only 2015, but 16 17 and 18 as well

Considering next year is suppose to be his 27 pak year, I fall to see the rush to insure he will still be under contract in his early 30's when its quite possible he could be a miniature pale version of De Aza
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:20 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:I love it.  RobZ is the first to question if Eaton can stay healthy throughout the deal, now he is acting like a 5WAR a year is a foregone conclusion just because the KARK is yet to be impressed by the runt

The Sox already had him under control for not only 2015, but 16 17 and 18 as well

Considering next year is suppose to be his 27 pak year, I fall to see the rush to insure he will still be under contract in his early 30's when its quite possible he could be a miniature pale version of De Aza

Mark, I have legit fears about him remaining healthy.  It's not that I think he's weak stock.  It's that he might have Aaron Rowand Faceplant Syndrome (I believe that's an official medical term). 

He just looks to me like if he stays healthy, he's one of the better leadoff hitters in the league.  Perhaps even an outstanding one.  Hard to say if his health will bear this out to be a bad deal or not.  My fears about Sale are about the same as my fears about Eaton. 

It would, however, be great if someone could teach him how to steal, but maybe not stealing will keep him healthier.

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:21 pm

EATON IS 3 MONTHS OLDER THAN THE TANK!!!!!!!

CAN WE WAIT FOR EATON TO HAVE 2 GOOD YEARS IN A ROW IN A SOX UNIFORM B4 PUTTING HI IN THE HALL O FAME?!@?!?

NOT EVERY 5 FOOT 8 RUNT DESERVES A YES CHANT
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:01 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:EATON IS 3 MONTHS OLDER THAN THE TANK!!!!!!!

CAN WE WAIT FOR EATON TO HAVE 2 GOOD YEARS IN A ROW IN A SOX UNIFORM B4 PUTTING HI IN THE HALL O FAME?!@?!?

NOT EVERY 5 FOOT 8 RUNT DESERVES A YES CHANT

I'd rather see Eaton patrolling the outfield than Stiffy the Cuban Tank.
    (Who has Viciedo signed with?)
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:40 pm

I love it. RobZ is the first to question if Eaton can stay healthy throughout the deal, now he is acting like a 5WAR a year is a foregone conclusion just because the KARK is yet to be impressed by the runt
    Considering next year is suppose to be his 27 pak year, I fall to see the rush to insure he will still be under contract in his early 30's when its quite possible he could be a miniature pale version of De Aza >>

Yes, because of Eaton's height and some offbase comparisons to former Sox players, Rick Hahn has made a big blunder here.  The math is simple:
    Eaton's deal :  $ .8 mil, $ 2.7, $ 4 mil, $ 6 mil, $ 8.5 mil plus options at $ 10 mil for 2 yrs
     = $ 23 mil for 5 years or $ 43 mil for 7 years
    Waiting for Eaton to prove he can duplicate 2014: $ .6 mil this yr, $ 4.5 mil, $ 8 mil, $ 11 mil $13 mil  then $ 15 mil per yr options for the next two seasons  = $ 37 mil for 5 years or $ 67 mil for 7 years.

If Eaton falls to .270 BA, 340 OBP cut the above estimate to $ 30 mil and $ 57 mil.  Only if he falls to a 250 BA/ 300 OBP or has a career-ending injury does this deal not make sense.

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:45 pm

Talk about pulling numbers straight out of your ass......

What if the little runt follows the Rudy Law path? The you pay him about 8 mil over 3 years and non tender his ass. Saving the club $35mil

Again, wake me when the runt does something worthy of me chanting YES

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Hey Kev, never meant to suggest we dump the little runt now.

I just view him more as a Beckham type bandaid, not an Abreau like fixture.

Hopefully I'm wrong. But the little runt is not that young and is a health risk. Plus their are millions AND MILLIONS of examples of players that just lose it at 30

My guess, those of you jealous of the KARK's intellect will be rubbing it in the next 2 or 3 years only to realize how right I am in the summer of 2019 when the broken down little runt is designated for assignment on 8/30 because they'd prefer a full size player on the playoff roster

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:16 pm

LMAO!!!!

Roger acts like one year wonders falling flat on their faces in the next year or two is unheard of. Especially on the South Side of Chicago

Hey California Dreaming, here's a thought for you. Jose Abreau is spanish for Joe Charboneau!!!!!!!

Let's see you or anybody else in the YES movement figure that riddle out
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:03 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Talk about pulling numbers straight out of your ass......

What if the little runt follows the Rudy Law path?  The you pay him about 8 mil over 3 years and non tender his ass.  Saving the club $35mil

Again, wake me when the runt does something worthy of me chanting YES

Out of MY ass ?  Your entire diatribe on this has been one giant rectal extraction.  Even a clown like Viciedo got $ 4 mil as his arb salary. My estimate was that Eaton would get $ 4.5 mil arb salary for 2016 .

Since you're so fondly attached to your 1990's view of baseball finances, you stubbornly refuse to acknowledge how good Rick Hahn's reasoning was here. 
    His only gamble is 2018+2019 when Eaton gets an avg of $ 8 mil per. 
    If you're right and Eaton's a dud and worth only $ 3 mil per as 4th OFer, the Sox have squandered $ 10 mil tops on this deal.
    Say you're wrong. Instead of Eaton being like your examples of old Sox players (whose early careers weren't like Eaton's) and he follows the path of another "runt" like Bret Butler.   Butler and Eaton's minor league numbers and skill sets ARE similar.  Then he's saved the Sox a good
    $ 25-50 million in what they would have to paid Eaton from 2015-2021 if they waited till he "proved" himself more.

Unlike the 1990's, GM's these days don't take these swaggering, cocksure seat-of-the pants guesses as to whether guys make or not.  The days of Tommy Lasorda guessing that Pedro Martinez was too slightly built to last and that Paul Konerko would never hit in the majors are OVER.  Except for guys like you, clearly.

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:27 pm

Yes out of your ass!!!!!!!!!

Straw man argument and phony choices!!!!!!!!

First you act like its a given that Eaton will still be a major league caliber everyday player.  You have ZERO prove of that.  Plus you damn well know there are millions and millions of player that just lose it by 30.

Second, you act like all that matters is return on investment.  Well a cheap mediocre player is still a mediocre player.

Admit it, you have nothing but speculation, wishful thinking and your ad homien attack on my character that I am somehow stuck in the 90's.   And even there you prove your limited intelligence by comparing me to Tommy Lasorda, one of the most successful people in the history of the game.

And you want to talk cocksure swaggering, no one will know for years whether or not Hahn just saved the org millions and millions and millions of dollars, but you are practically proclaiming its a done deal.

BTW, if the Bret Butler I looked up was 5'10", 160 lb and not injury prone.  Eaton is 5'8" 185lb.  The average height of an MLB player is 6ft.  so Butler was just slightly below average.  Eaton is clearly short.

There is an old saying, a good big man beats a good small man.  And that is assuming Eaton is good, and not a mediocrity with 4 years left

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:29 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Kark's focus has always been on the 24th and 25th roster spot.
    WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK!!

The 24th and 25th players?

I am also quite fond of #3 catchers and knuckleballers
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:33 am

And you want to talk cocksure swaggering, no one will know for years whether or not Hahn just saved the org millions and millions and millions of dollars, but you are practically proclaiming its a done deal.  BTW, if the Bret Butler I looked up was 5'10", 160 lb and not injury prone.  Eaton is 5'8" 185lb.  The average height of an MLB player is 6ft.  so Butler was just slightly below average.  Eaton is clearly short.  There is an old saying, a good big man beats a good small man.  And that is assuming Eaton is good, and not a mediocrity with 4 years left  >>

Yeah,  never mind Eaton's minor league record or what he's done in the majors, he just doesn't look like a ballplayer !!

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:35 am

No he doesn't, but then neither did John Kruk

Bottom line, the poster formerly known as KARK does not extend players with a mere 2 years of service time.

Bottom line, there is no way in hell waiting another 12 months costs the team 25mil. You better check your simple math. There appears to be a huge flaw in your equation

Bottom line, I want to see the pint size Jeremy Reed do it for more than 75% of a season b4 I declare the little runt a building block

All that said, I could be wrong about Eaton. After all, this the year of the goat isn't it? And we all a quality leadoff man is a must for the south side 2015 YES movement. Hopefully Eaton could be at least a B+ player for at least another year
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:23 am

<Bottom line, there is no way in hell waiting another 12 months costs the team 25mil. You better check your simple math. There appears to be a huge flaw in your equation
    Bottom line, I want to see the pint size Jeremy Reed do it for more than 75% of a season b4 I declare the little runt a building block >

Right now Eaton and the Sox are taking equal risks. In MArch '15 the Sox can say that Eaton's only done it for one full season and he has some injury history, but they're willing to take the risk of giving him a financial safety net.  In return for the safety net, Eaton's got to agree to take the risk that he won't get what he's fully worth in arb and his first two years of free agency. 
    Eaton puts up another nice season in 2015, the risk shifts to the Sox.  Guy's a more proven performer and the price of poker has just gone up (considerably).

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:29 am

You grasp of the obvious is truly amazing. Even more amazing is how you make it sound like you are the only one who has realized it. Yet despite your mastery of the obvious, you are oblivious to the possiblity that Eaton could have a bad year. Persoanlly, I hope the little runt hits 330, because Sox fans should only wait a decade, not a century, for a World Tilte. But even if he hits 330. No way in hell waiting 12 months costs the team over $20mil
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:51 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:You grasp of the obvious is truly amazing.  Even more amazing is how you make it sound like you are the only one who has realized it.  Yet despite your mastery of the obvious, you are oblivious to the possiblity that Eaton could have a bad year.  Persoanlly, I hope the little runt hits 330, because Sox fans should only wait a decade, not a century, for a World Tilte.  But even if he hits 330. No way in hell waiting 12 months costs the team over $20mil

Seriously?  You think the four seasons after a .330 season would only cost the Sox $20 mill?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:15 pm