Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Adam Eaton Extended another five years

Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Adam Eaton Extended another five years

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:56 pm

Eaton just signed for five more years at $23.5 mill overall.  Deal comes with two more years of club options on him for about $10 mill per year thereafter.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Adam Eaton Extended another five years

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:57 pm

I wonder if he can remain in one piece for half of this contract term.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:15 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:I wonder if he can remain in one piece for half of this contract term.

I hope he's more Aaron Rowand than Pistol Pete Reiser.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:15 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:I wonder if he can remain in one piece for half of this contract term.

I hope he's more Aaron Rowand than Pistol Pete Reiser.

Scratch that, more Jim Edmonds.

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:54 pm

At least you make sense when talking baseball.

Eaton has 2.03 years of service time.  What the hell is the rush to lock him up long term?!?!?!?!?

This could have waited until November
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:53 am

Actually this is a good deal for the Sox.  They can tie him up for seven years if they fully exercise all the club options.  The last three are free agent yrs at about $ 10 mil per.   Meanwhile for the next four years they have him at $ 4 mil per.  He was close to 3 wins over replacement last yr under the most conservative valuation of his defense, which makes him worth $ 9-10 million already.   If he puts up another year like 2014, he could have hit up the Sox for $ 4-5 mil in arb in 2016 and it would only go up from there.   Scott Boras would never have let Eaton sign a deal like this...

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:10 am

Actually this is a good deal for the Sox. 

Yea. If he plays and isn't on the DL, and if he turns out to be good, which really hasn't been solidified yet. Sox seem to rush into these deals for no good reason. Either the sox think he's great and want him signed before he puts up big numbers, or Eaton isn't sure he's so great and is taking what he can get now. We will soon find out. 
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:27 am

Chi-kid wrote:Actually this is a good deal for the Sox. 

Yea. If he plays and isn't on the DL, and if he turns out to be good, which really hasn't been solidified yet. Sox seem to rush into these deals for no good reason. Either the sox think he's great and want him signed before he puts up big numbers, or Eaton isn't sure he's so great and is taking what he can get now. We will soon find out. 

Agree about the Eaton injury history which probably is the reason they could lock Eaton up so cheaply. I still believe that the Sox got the better end of this deal, like they did in quickly signing Sale and Quintana for multi-year,under-market dollars. Eaton's 763 OPS was fourth best among all AL centerfielders last year. Better than $ 20 mil per yr , Ellsbury and a lot better than $ 8 mil per year Austin Jackson or $ 11 million per year and injury-prone, Coco Crisp. . He's what the Sox have been missing for years - a legit leadoff man. He can draw BB's, hit for average and steal some bases. Granted, not much power and his defense can raise eyebrows at times. He appeared to muff some easy plays last year, but he also made some good plays by being able to cover ground. Eaton just turned 26 too. As he matures, maybe he can learn better routes, and stop running into damn OF walls too.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:36 am

Like Tim, I'm always wary of this team rushing to ink long-term contracts on what seems to be an impulse.  Mark Teahen anyone? At least in Eaton's case the team has a year's worth of observation with regard to the kid. While I have the same reservations as many, Eaton always seemed to be busting his ass for the team...albiet a little too much sometimes. Still, this doesn't stink nearly as much as the Teahen fiasco.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:14 am

Cream1953 wrote:Like Tim, I'm always wary of this team rushing to ink long-term contracts on what seems to be an impulse.  Mark Teahen anyone? At least in Eaton's case the team has a year's worth of observation with regard to the kid. While I have the same reservations as many, Eaton always seemed to be busting his ass for the team...albiet a little too much sometimes. Still, this doesn't stink nearly as much as the Teahen fiasco.

Teahan was another in a string of bad Kenny deals (Dunn, Danks, Linebrink, Peavy, etc). Hahn seems to be more astute than that.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:42 am

You mean Linebrink wasn't the top reliever in all of baseball bar none??? Very Happy

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Like Tim, I'm always wary of this team rushing to ink long-term contracts on what seems to be an impulse.  Mark Teahen anyone? At least in Eaton's case the team has a year's worth of observation with regard to the kid. While I have the same reservations as many, Eaton always seemed to be busting his ass for the team...albiet a little too much sometimes. Still, this doesn't stink nearly as much as the Teahen fiasco.

The posterformerly known as KARK agrees with Sharp & Cream. Rushed into it. Don't see how Roger calls this a good deal. It may turn out to be. Or you may piss away millions on the DL. Considering he is a year away from arbitration, I wait.

That said, Eaton stil strikes me more of a 4th OF type

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:57 pm

Still, this doesn't stink nearly as much as the Teahen fiasco.

Shit...if I got a notice on Team Stream that the sox signed a government worker from Elkhart, In to play 3b and bat cleanup for 5 yrs $20 million, it STILL wouldn't stink as bad as that Teahan deal.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:30 pm

rmapasad wrote:

Teahan was another in a string of bad Kenny deals (Dunn, Danks, Linebrink, Peavy, etc).  Hahn seems to be more astute than that.
    There are some dumb fucks out there who think Kenny walks on water.....STILL.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:10 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:

The posterformerly known as KARK agrees with Sharp & Cream.  Rushed into it.  Don't see how Roger calls this a good deal.  It may turn out to be.  Or you may piss away millions on the DL.  Considering he is a year away from arbitration, I wait.
    That said, Eaton stil strikes me more of a 4th OF type

4th OFer ? We're talking the Sox OF not the '61 Yankees. The kid owns a 280 BA/ 350 OBP in nearly 1000 big league PA's and he's a career 348 hitter, 448 OBP in the minors. He hit 300/360 OBP last year - those are One Dog numbers back in Sox's big 1993 season. So I don't blame the Sox for not waiting around. Unlike Beckham, Eaton actually has some offensive skills (speed, good eye, good stroke) so a complete collapse isn't likely. He puts up another year like his career numbers and he's easily worth $ 5 mil his first yr in arb and it just skyrockets from there, especially if he improves. He's 26, so improvement is a real possibility .
    As to injury history, a lot of far more expensive players have had it too - Melky ($14mil per) for one. Eaton's guaranteed money pencils only to $ 4.5 mil per. He'd almost have to have a career-wrecking injury to make that a complete waste and the Sox probably have some insurance to offset something that catastrophic.

Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:19 pm

Shit...if I got a notice on Team Stream that the sox signed a government worker from Elkhart, In to play 3b and bat cleanup for 5 yrs $20 million, it STILL wouldn't stink as bad as that Teahan deal. 

What a nice thing for you to say! Since my locker will be right next to Gordon's this year I'll see if I can get him to autograph a baseball for you. It's hoped that with our lockers so close to each others I'll exert a more positive influence on him than Konerko did.

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:36 am

Well since Cream is the board of one liners.....

And we all know Beckham can't handle to much analysis. Although I do worry Beckham might go crazy from Cram's dinosaur rock

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:42 am

Hey Roger, Lance was a 4th OF type until he hit the wait room, or was it the Flinstones......

Anyway, there is something about Eatin I don't trust. Only time will tell if I was right or not. However, I still do not see the need to ever sign a player long term b4 he is arbitration eligible.. As fr your 4.5mil a year comment, that is tank money. So if this clown falls apart, tits the same as giving the tank 5 more years
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Although I do worry Beckham might go crazy from Cram's dinosaur rock

Oooooooo.....that hurt. Mr Rock'n'Roll expert checking in. lol!lol!
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:35 pm

Eaton is 26!!!  This contract is an absolute steal for the team if he does not kill himself running into walls.

The Sox may have taken what some see as a risk.....these contracts go nowhere but UP!!!

This so called risk could be HIGH REWARD for the Sox as this guy agreed to play for what has to be considered peanuts in this day and age.  If this guy is healthy and productive the length of the deal, this is a Reinsdorf contract DEFINED.

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:49 pm

Eaton reks of mediority!!!!!!

He will be remembered as a Dave Gallagher, Chris SIngleon type
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:56 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Eaton reks of mediority!!!!!!

I tend to doubt it.  I believe FanGraphs or Baseball prospectus made a pretty big deal the other day about what a keen signing this and several others by the Sox have been.  You have your top two pitchers and one of the best hitters in the game and a very good lead off hitter locked up until around the end of this decade for very affordable money.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:

I tend to doubt it.  I believe FanGraphs or Baseball prospectus made a pretty big deal the other day about what a keen signing this and several others by the Sox have been.  You have your top two pitchers and one of the best hitters in the game and a very good lead off hitter locked up until around the end of this decade for very affordable money.

"Keen signing"

Gee willikers, Chauncey, what an awesome description!! You are such a wordsmith (LOL)

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:44 pm

Time will tell Rob, time will tell

Eaton has done nothing to make me forget the 2005 SPOD. Opefully he will, but so far he hasn't

PS, I can think for myself, I don't need Fangraphs nor their over analytical BS
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:30 am

frank bonifacic wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:

Why are they similar ? Gallagher never played a full season until he was 28 and it took him three years in AAA before he could crack a .250 BA.    Singleton was a career .277 hitter in the minors and he didn't make the majors until age 26.   You damn well know when guys fart around in the minors and they finally have a yr or two of good BA's in their mid-late 20's   that has Quad A written all over it. .
    Eaton was a career 348 BA, 448 OBP in the minors in his early 20's.   You can discount his .348 some because of the favorable ballparks he had in the minors, but you're still left with a .300 + hitter. 

But let's assume Eaton's worst case is that he's Singleton.  Singleton had two solid years hitting wise and played good defense.   The Sox's main risk are the last two years of Eaton's deal when they're on the hook for $ 16 mil.  By that time (2018-2019) 4th OFers will be knocking down $ 3-4 million a yr, so he'd be overpaid by $ 8 mil. In the meantime, the Sox have Eaton from 2015-2017 at an average of $ 2.5 mil per when his skill set would get him $ 4-6 mil per yr in arb. Worst case is a financial wash..  Best case is the Sox get a great deal if Eaton keeps up his 2014 and an incredible deal if he turns into Ellsbury-lite.   Rick Hahn is not a blithering idiot - that was his thought process.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:14 am