Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Trivia

Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Trivia

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:35 pm

What ex-White Sox player was one of only two players to get a hit off of Gibson and Carlton in the same game?  The other was Joey Amalfitano had two singles.  The ex-Sox had two doubles!

P.S.  One of my very early favorites.

Re: Trivia

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:14 pm

Good question Jim ....
    I think something about this guy prejudiced you into him being one of your faves
    .... Wink

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Good question Jim ....
    I think something about this guy prejudiced you into him being one of your faves
    .... Wink

Ken Henderson?

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:08 pm

I figured it would have had to have been when Carlton was really young and pitching in relief and since his rookie card is a 1971 Topps, it had to be before then. Then, recalling who Nomads has said was his favorites - Minoso, Landis, Fox, Aparicio, Pierce, and Allen, the only ones that were even in the NL were Landis, Fox, D. Allen. (pierce pitched but doubt he had 2 doubles in a game).. so I would guess Landis only b/c Fox was probably dead from his tobacco juice before Carlton was in the league, and Jim said one of his "very early favorites", excluding "don't call me Ritchie".
    My only hesitancy on the guess is whether Landis actually played that long?
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:50 pm

Tom Seaver?  I know he's a pitcher but was a decent hitting pitcher and pitched back when complete games were more common than not, so could have faced a starter (Gibby) and reliever (Carlton).  Probably doesn't fit Nomads' "early faves" criteria, though.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:51 pm

Chi-kid wrote:I figured it would have had to have been when Carlton was really young and pitching in relief and since his rookie card is a 1971 Topps, it had to be before then. Then, recalling who Nomads has said was his favorites - Minoso, Landis, Fox, Aparicio, Pierce, and Allen, the only ones that were even in the NL were Landis, Fox, D. Allen. (pierce pitched but doubt he had 2 doubles in a game).. so I would guess Landis only b/c Fox was probably dead from his tobacco juice before Carlton was in the league, and Jim said one of his "very early favorites", excluding "don't call me Ritchie".

Do you think it could have been in an AllStar game?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:59 pm

Johnny Callison

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:18 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:Johnny Callison

OOO..thats a good guess ...didnt think of Callison

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:01 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:I figured it would have had to have been when Carlton was really young and pitching in relief and since his rookie card is a 1971 Topps, it had to be before then. Then, recalling who Nomads has said was his favorites - Minoso, Landis, Fox, Aparicio, Pierce, and Allen, the only ones that were even in the NL were Landis, Fox, D. Allen. (pierce pitched but doubt he had 2 doubles in a game).. so I would guess Landis only b/c Fox was probably dead from his tobacco juice before Carlton was in the league, and Jim said one of his "very early favorites", excluding "don't call me Ritchie".

That was my first thought, but he mentioned Joey Amalfitano, no way was he ever an allstar.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:05 pm

winstonage wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:

That was my first thought, but he mentioned Joey Amalfitano, no way was he ever an allstar.
    No, but because he got his hits on a regular game doesn't preclude the other being in am All Star gsme
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:31 pm

Tim, nice job.  Jim Landis it was, with the Astros.  I'll see if I can refind the link I saw this in.

Here is the box score from it (only 6th game of the season)

http://www.astrosdaily.com/history/1967/game196704160.html

Here is the story with a 1967 Landis card image that caught my eye.

http://retrosimba.com/2015/03/16/how-foes-fared-facing-bob-gibson-steve-carlton-in-a-game/

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:48 pm

I should have been a cop ... whats interesting is John Romano was catching ..didn't remember he was with the cardinals -- or carlton in relief for THREE innings ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 am