Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

John and Murph's Excellent Adventure

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

John and Murph's Excellent Adventure

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:06 am

(Not to be confused with any Bill and Ted movies.)

I met John and Murph at Hi Corbett Field here in Tucson yesterday.  They were accompanied by a newbie to Arizona by the name of Al.  Al is a real nice guy and shouldn't be confused with anyone bearing the same name from San Bernadino.  In the UA-Utah game, Murph fingered two potential future major leaguers.  UA pitcher Tyger Talley pitch 7 shutout innings before leaving in the eighth with a 2-hitter and a 7-0 lead.  Murph also liked OF Riley Moore whom he has been keeping tabs on from last year.  (Murph really cares about this college stuff.)  Moore homered and singled.  Murph also fingered the UA relief pitcher who blew the game in the eighth and ninth with Utah winning 9-8, but I believe that he may have used a different finger.  Murph was clearly upset.

John claims that Beckham has retained the same uniform number and that he is set to make a killing on the slough of Beckham jerseys that he bought late last season at a discounted price of $5 each.

Afterwards we went over to Tucson Electric Park (now renamed the Kino Sports Complex) to show Al where the Sox used to train.  There was a Mexican League exhibition game taking place.  Murph explained to the girl at the turnstile that we just wanted to show Al where the White Sox used to play, and she let us walk ino the park for a few minutes since the game was well in progress anyway and the ticket window had closed.  The "crowd" numbered only in the hundreds and it was rather depressing to see what had become of a stadium which was built less than 20 years ago.

From there, we went on to close out the day meeting up with Murph's cousin Margie, two of her cousins visiting from Vancouver, and local Dback's fan Debbie for a meal at an Olive Garden restaurant.  John, Murph, and Al then headed back to the Phoenix area to resume their analysis of the White Sox.  It was a great day and a lot of fun.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Re: John and Murph's Excellent Adventure

Post by TeleFrank on Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Olive Garden again ! There are other restaurants in town, Mart ! 

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:11 pm

TeleFrank wrote:Olive Garden again ! There are other restaurants in town, Mart ! 

We've tried other ones over the years, Frank, but they seem to close down.  I think that you were with us at Sanchez Mexican restaurant a number of years ago.  They're out of business.  At least Olive Garden stays open. Smile
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:47 pm

Do you guys do anything of REAL importance out there like, you know, get laid???
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:24 pm

There are NO OTHER MEXICAN places in Tucson???  I figure with that crew a good steak place is out of the question.  Was the other choice Taco Bell?

A fucking Italian chain restaurant that people here AVOID???
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:02 pm

Al hated the Kenny Williams act for years.  Al knows the game, also.

Murph has every sports cable channel he can get.  I am sure he would have the PAC12 channel.  
    Ask him what the last book he read was!  Did he tell you his dumb fuck theory that Hahn may not succeed because he was not a farm director?
    Murph has way too much time on his hands where he ponders the finances of the Cubs and Sox.  Did he discuss the roof over Sox Park he DEMANDS?  How about the 2012 Sox team that he holds in such high esteem?

John has over $10,000.00 invested in the always high demand Sox tickets.  Beckham has been replaced in the thought process.

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Wish I could have heard Murph talking his way into the old Tucson Elecric Park. Did the ticket girl feel very sorry fo you guys after hearing that sory? Or did she think some crazies where lose and has afraid of what might happen if she aid no
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:39 pm

Hysterical.  Let's go see where White Sox lasting Spring Training memories were made!!!

Tucson Electric Park!!!!

Some of us would be content to drive past the place on the way to an outdoor cantina for some real food (NO UNLIMITED BREADSTICKS) and MARGARITAS where we could people watch!!!  Preferably near the campus of the University of Arizona!!!!

Do they have a MONUMENT PARK in Tucson Electric Park with statues of White Sox players?????

You can not stop the process of getting old, you don't have to act it!!!!

Meanwhile Fraaaazah is on Facebook posting about all the fun he is having in LAS VEGAS!!!!!! 
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:41 pm

The ticket girl had to think this was a bunch of alzheimers patients.  Probably wondered where their attendant was with their off grounds passes.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:00 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Do you guys do anything of REAL importance out there like, you know, get laid???
    The HOOKERS in TIJUANA would STARVE!!!!!
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:13 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    TeleFrank wrote:Olive Garden again ! There are other restaurants in town, Mart ! 

We've tried other ones over the years, Frank, but they seem to close down.  I think that you were with us at Sanchez Mexican restaurant a number of years ago.  They're out of business.  At least Olive Garden stays open. Smile
    The Fanboys have an effect on restaurants.  Especially Buffets!!

Once they show up over a period of time, the place goes belly up.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:19 pm

Ah, you guys are just jealous.  Here are guys who come out for an excellent adventure in sunny Arizona while the rest of you suffer the shitty weather back home.  And yes, there were many very nice scantily dressed co-ed eye candy in the stands at the UA game.  Murph commented that it was much better than at Sox games where he said there are mainy old ladies.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:35 pm

An ADVENTURE!!!!!  LMAO!!!  Same shit...different Spring!!!!

Great picture of Murph there!!!!  GAME FACE always on!!!!

THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF!!!

By the Way, I AM JEALOUS OF GORDON!!!

And Cubs Attendance!!!!

If worldly MURPH actually went to see the Grand Canyon, that would be an adventure.

See something different, of value, rather than another fucking exhibition baseball game.

Real suffering is THE FUCKING OLIVE GARDEN!!!!!!
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:08 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:

No Mart I was only around for the Olive Garden. I'm guessing that there has to be another Mexican restaurant around. 

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:33 pm

TeleFrank wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

No Mart I was only around for the Olive Garden. I'm guessing that there has to be another Mexican restaurant around. 

Heck, there's a lot of Mexican restaurants in Tucson.  You have to be careful though because some of them will give you a heaping helping of Montezuma's Revenge at no extra cost.  Murph's cousin Margie recommended a good one years ago; but after we had gathered there a few times, that one closed down too.

Olive Garden is a safe bet.  If the food, service, or visitations from SFOD members were going to cause them to shut down, it would have happened a long time ago.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:07 am

The only reason I can possibly think of for going to the Olive Garden is that they have a PHONE BOOK and they were cold calling retired Sox players.

I realize the SFOD crowd is not comprised of Foodies.  In fact, we have better food by far off the grill at Nomadsfest than this bunch has at their "meetings" at $10.00 buffets.

The next SFOD "ADVENTURE" will probably be to the Olive Garden that they built in the K-Mart parking lot at Addison and Elston.  

These cheap pricks will not take a couple of games from John.

John happens to like SCOTTSDALE!!!
    The SFOD bunch would be ARRESTED as vagrants in SCOTTSDALE!!!

WHERE WAS FAID?????

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:29 am

Harry Caray wrote:The only reason I can possibly think of for going to the Olive Garden is that they have a PHONE BOOK and they were cold calling retired Sox players.

I realize the SFOD crowd is not comprised of Foodies.  In fact, we have better food by far off the grill at Nomadsfest than this bunch has at their "meetings" at $10.00 buffets.

The next SFOD "ADVENTURE" will probably be to the Olive Garden that they built in the K-Mart parking lot at Addison and Elston.  

These cheap pricks will not take a couple of games from John.

John happens to like SCOTTSDALE!!!
    The SFOD bunch would be ARRESTED as vagrants in SCOTTSDALE!!!

WHERE WAS FAID?????

That's not a bad idea, Bobby.  Olive Garden would probably give them their own room - and there are those unlimited breadsticks.  And Olive Garden is likely to still be there, month after month, year after year. Smile

As for Faid, the last time that I ran into him was about 3 years ago.  He had some scheme about making money by grinding up mesquite beans.  Maybe he struck it rich and moved on to a different lifestyle that doesn't include the White Sox.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:48 am

Marty, does Olive Garden look like an easy place to bolt?  Dine and Dash?

SFOD Fanboy Howie considers this important.  That is when he is not sneaking a friend into the BUFFETS!!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:19 am

Harry Caray wrote:Marty, does Olive Garden look like an easy place to bolt?  Dine and Dash?

SFOD Fanboy Howie considers this important.  That is when he is not sneaking a friend into the BUFFETS!!!

Most Olive Gardens have a young staff, and I imagine that they could easily outrun and tackle an SFOD member in the parking lot if one were to try to dash out without paying.

On the other hand, a cheapskate could possibly munch on other people's unlimited supply of breadsticks while nursing a beer.  (Unfortunately Olive Garden doesn't offer Guinness; and that's outrageous, especially today!)  If he also snuck in his own salad bowl, he could perhaps widen his repertoire of "free" goodies by raiding the large communal salad bowls at each table.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:27 am

Looks like Olive Garden has potential for Howie!!!
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:07 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    TeleFrank wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Heck, there's a lot of Mexican restaurants in Tucson.  You have to be careful though because some of them will give you a heaping helping of Montezuma's Revenge at no extra cost.  Murph's cousin Margie recommended a good one years ago; but after we had gathered there a few times, that one closed down too.
    Olive Garden is a safe bet.  If the food, service, or visitations from SFOD members were going to cause them to shut down, it would have happened a long time ago.

Mart, recall eating in several very good Mexican restaurants in Tucson (my son went to U of A a few yrs back and had conventions there too. Recall being at a convention about 8 years ago and eating at a Mexican restaurant next to a Hampton Inn in east Tucson that was GOOD, and had a fairly lively bar too. One of the young customers at the bar mentioned fairly loudly he was with the White Sox and there for spring training. He said he had pitched the year before in Birmingham and Kannapolis and was talking about spring training, hopes of eventually making the big club, etc., etc. Spoke to him for a bit, but his main audience were a couple of good looking college age women at the bar. After going home I remember looking to see what the guy had done in the minors and there was no such guy. He probably had been using this hoax of being a White Sox player for a while, as he had his act down pat.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:47 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    TeleFrank wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Mart, recall eating in several very good Mexican restaurants in Tucson (my son went to U of A a few yrs back and had conventions there too. Recall being at a convention about 8 years ago and eating at a Mexican restaurant next to a Hampton Inn in east Tucson that was GOOD, and had a fairly lively bar too.  One of the young customers at the bar mentioned fairly loudly he was with the White Sox and there for spring training. He said he had pitched the year before in Birmingham and Kannapolis and was talking about spring training, hopes of eventually making the big club, etc., etc.  Spoke to him for a bit, but his main audience were a couple of good looking college age women at the bar.  After going home I remember looking to see what the guy had done in the minors and there was no such guy.  He probably had been using this hoax of being a White Sox player for a while, as he had his act down pat.

It sounds like the guy may have had a pretty successful gimmick going.

He might be operating up in the Phoenix area now.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:04 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    TeleFrank wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Mart, recall eating in several very good Mexican restaurants in Tucson (my son went to U of A a few yrs back and had conventions there too. Recall being at a convention about 8 years ago and eating at a Mexican restaurant next to a Hampton Inn in east Tucson that was GOOD, and had a fairly lively bar too.  One of the young customers at the bar mentioned fairly loudly he was with the White Sox and there for spring training. He said he had pitched the year before in Birmingham and Kannapolis and was talking about spring training, hopes of eventually making the big club, etc., etc.  Spoke to him for a bit, but his main audience were a couple of good looking college age women at the bar.  After going home I remember looking to see what the guy had done in the minors and there was no such guy.  He probably had been using this hoax of being a White Sox player for a while, as he had his act down pat.

How many drinks did YOU buy him???

rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:27 pm

How many drinks did YOU buy him??? >>

LOL. Probably no more than 3 or 4.  Very Happy  Talked to him about 15 minutes tops, but recall thinking it was odd for a player to be in a bar all the way out in East Tuscon at 11:30 on a night before a ST game.  Asked him questions - other Sox major leaguers, other major league hitters he was facing in ST, cities he played in , etc...and this guy's answers were solid. He clearly had done his homework before taking his act on the road.  Of course, he couldn't have pulled the wool over the eyes of someone who's more knowledgable about Sox minor leaguers, like Mart.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:33 pm

rmapasad wrote:How many drinks did YOU buy him??? >>

LOL. Probably no more than 3 or 4.  Very Happy  Talked to him about 15 minutes tops, but recall thinking it was odd for a player to be in a bar all the way out in East Tuscon at 11:30 on a night before a ST game.  Asked him questions - other Sox major leaguers, other major league hitters he was facing in ST, cities he played in , etc...and this guy's answers were solid. He clearly had done his homework before taking his act on the road.  Of course, he couldn't have pulled the wool over the eyes of someone who's more knowledgable about Sox minor leaguers, like Mart.

LOL.  10 or 12 years ago, he might have some trouble getting passed me -- not now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:08 am