Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Minnie Minoso

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Minnie Minoso

Post by alohafri on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:45 am

Rest in peace Minnie.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Minnie Minoso

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:55 am

Unlike the Hollywood types who I am supposed to act like I lost somebody I never met, Minnie used to have a few beers once in awhile with us in left field in Comiskey Park.
    Minnie was one of the most humble people I ever met.
    Used to hang in the Amoco Station at Addison and Southport.
    His car was hard to miss up here with the plates....Minoso 9.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:59 pm

I put a photo on FB, but do not know how to do it here.  The message with it...

My wife has lost two of her favorites this weekend. Leonard Nimoy and now Minnie. Minnie and Corinne had an unexplainable bond. She met him once very long ago and they hit it off. She would call out his name and he would drop everything and acknowledge her. Several years ago on his bobble head day, we made a special trip to be there and were standing behind the dugout, way back in line to get our bobblehead box autographed. She called out his name, he heard her, looked up, and had everyone clear a path so she could get up to the front. He even hugged her a few times. She is crushed this morning.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Harry Caray wrote:Unlike the Hollywood types who I am supposed to act like I lost somebody I never met, Minnie used to have a few beers once in awhile with us in left field in Comiskey Park.
    Minnie was one of the most humble people I ever met.
    Used to hang in the Amoco Station at Addison and Southport.
    His car was hard to miss up here with the plates....Minoso 9.

I saw his car pulled over on the Dan Ryan one time, a white caddie, I think, and so much wanted to stop and see if we could lend a hand, but we were in an inside lane and could not get over in time.  I'm sure he had a few hundred people thinking the exact same thing.  RIP, one of my few true heroes.  Memories of my early child baseball years will always be Minnie, Fox, Pierce, Lollar soon joined by Landis and Aparicio a year or two later.  I'd think Aparicio, Fox and Minnie tie for the lead as my all time old favorite, pushed by Allen, Wood, Peters, Horlen later on.  In spite of our rough history, we do have a lot of great memories.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:10 pm

He was a nice guy.  Hung with us in LF and in Milwaukee.  Crazy bars like Interns East back then.

He was a fun loving character.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:33 pm

I would venture to saythat he was one of the favorite ballplayers of MOST people who watched Sox games in the 50's or 60's
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Harry Caray wrote:He was a nice guy.  Hung with us in LF and in Milwaukee.  Crazy bars like Interns East back then.

He was a fun loving character.
    He was guest of honor at the 1st SFOD Christmas Party in 1988........he was a BLAST.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:43 pm