Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

First sign of spring

First sign of spring

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:54 pm

Tomorrow, my kids birthday, is the day Topps baseball cards are out for 2015. Can Opening Day be far behind??
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: First sign of spring

Post by Soxillinirob on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:02 pm

My god...remember what a momentous day this always was as a kid?  I would save my paper route money and buy an entire box of 36 packs on the day they came out.  Still have the sugar buzz from jamming about 18 sticks of that awful gum in my mouth at once.  It was so good for about the first 15 seconds.  Awful after that.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:19 am

Chi-kid wrote:Tomorrow, my kids birthday, is the day Topps baseball cards are out for 2015. Can Opening Day be far behind??

Thanks for the update. I still buy a pack at the start of the year. Last year I got a Buehrle. Maybe this year a Gordon Beckham!
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:55 am

I used to collect with my kid years and years ago....it was fun. Then, of course, corporate America decided it was time to go into full-blown overkill mode and ruin it for everybody. It was hard enough to keep up with the cards as it was and then suddenly you couldn't keep up with the number companies making the fucking cards. The market got flooded and saturated and you were suddenly paying $5 a pack to get a card with a microscopic swatch of a used rubber Bo Jackson once wore that was worth about $10,000. It got WAY out of hand and we gave up collecting in short order.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:06 am

I remember trying to get Mantle, Mays and Koufax and seeing Jerry Lumpe and a host of Kansas City A's and Washington Senators!!!
    Thank God for Cub fans.  Could always trade Cubs for superstars.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:25 am

Yeah. They'd take 5 Joe Pepitones for a rookie Mantle.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:01 pm

And they would start with series #1 going throughout the summer to series #7......that's why the most expensive cards from the '50's and '60's are in the 7th series, kids lost interest in them by that time as the football season came upon us and Topps would print less accordingly!
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:10 pm

In the late 50's, they were boxed 24 per box at a nickel a pack.  For $1.20 about seven times a season, my mom could bribe me all summer long.  $1.20 seems a fortune then.

I remember at the Ben Franklin a couple towns away, they even had PENNY packs.  I think it was two cards and a stick of gum.

I no longer like the hobby, either.  I used to give cards away each Halloween and the commons would end up strewn all over the yard and nearby street and sidewalks.  The kids ONLY wanted the big value cards.  The others were trash.  When I was a kid, a Bobby Gene Smith or Clint Courtney was just as valuable as a Mays or a Mantle if you needed that card to complete a set.  I remember in 1957 I could have killed for a Bobby Gene Smith.  I knew only one guy that had it, and there was just NO WAY I was getting it.  Ah, the simpler times.

Last edited by Nomads44 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : couple stores to couple towns)
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Nomads44 wrote:In the late 50's, they were boxed 24 per box at a nickel a pack.  For $1.20 about seven times a season, my mom could bribe me all summer long.  $1.20 seems a fortune then.

I remember at the Ben Franklin a couple towns away, they even had PENNY packs.  I think it was two cards and a stick of gum.

I no longer like the hobby, either.  I used to give cards away each Halloween and the commons would end up strewn all over the yard and nearby street and sidewalks.  The kids ONLY wanted the big value cards.  The others were trash.  When I was a kid, a Bobby Gene Smith or Clint Courtney was just as valuable as a Mays or a Mantle if you needed that card to complete a set.  I remember in 1957 I could have killed for a Bobby Gene Smith.  I knew only one guy that had it, and there was just NO WAY I was getting it.  Ah, the simpler times.

My goal was ALWAYS to complete the set. I kept the doubles as trade bait. A Mike Schmidt could get me three or four cards I needed.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:42 pm

I remember cards on the back of cereal boxes, inside of magazines or even on the back of something like a box of Twinkies. I even remember cards being given to kids at gas stations whenever the old man would fill up.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:14 pm

alohafri wrote:
    Nomads44 wrote:In the late 50's, they were boxed 24 per box at a nickel a pack.  For $1.20 about seven times a season, my mom could bribe me all summer long.  $1.20 seems a fortune then.

My goal was ALWAYS to complete the set. I kept the doubles as trade bait. A Mike Schmidt could get me three or four cards I needed.

Trying to get a complete set, I remember in 1958 buying pack after pack trying to get Phillies 1B Ed Bochette's card which was rumored to have only a few cards printed due to him doing some creepy stuff, like exposing himself to young girls.  It turned out that Topps didn't print any cards of him that year, but still had a card number assigned.  A few years later, Bochette was traded to the Cubs.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:36 pm

AMAZING how things were back then because the price was EXACTLY the SAME in 1967, 10 years later!!
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:50 pm

Started collecting the end of '68 and it was 5 cents per pack.  Spring of '69 it was 10 cents per pack.  I recall marking off the players on my checklist and learned the cruel reality of limited baseball card production of the stars when I never got a Pete Rose (the last one to be checked off) but got dozens of Bill Voss's, Tim Cullens and Don Pavletichs and Adolfo Phillips's.

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:08 pm

I just buy the box set in July for about $50. All 660 something cards in one purchase. Started in 2004. It was Stan's baptism present
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:22 pm

How much is Beckham's Rookie card worth????
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:58 pm

In 20 years a Beckham rookie will be worth more than a Honus Wagner!! cheers  (at least to John)
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:02 pm

Cream1953 wrote:In 20 years a Beckham rookie will be worth more than a Honus Wagner!! cheers  (at least to John)
    Nah......just his jersey's!
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:52 am

Damn, LET'S ALL HAVE A FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYER!!!!!!

NEAT!!!!!!

I have to buy 3 Michael Taylor jerseys to show him my Fanboy Love!!!!

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Harry Caray wrote:How much is Beckham's Rookie card worth????
    I traded my buddy an Ernie Banks card for Andre Rogers, he thought I was an idiot, but I had 3 Ernie cards and needed Rogers to give me the the Cub stating lineup. I would sort my cards by teams and lineup.

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:06 pm

winstonage wrote:
    I traded my buddy an Ernie Banks card for Andre Rogers, he thought I was an idiot, but I had 3 Ernie cards and needed Rogers to give me the the Cub stating lineup. I would sort my cards by teams and lineup.

I sorted my cards by teams also....then kept them as a league standing. The team that had the most cards, was in first place, next most 2nd, and so on until the last team with the fewest cards.  Had my own "season" so to speak based on the number of cards I was lucky to get for each team. Kept in a shoe box of course. Five cards for a nickel at the time. Get a buck doing odd jobs for mom during the week, hop on the bike on Saturday and motor on down to Kim Rexall on 87th and Stoney Island avenue and buy some cards ..sometimes i'd get lucky and have 2 bucks to spend ..and then I'd occasionally get REAL lucky and my uncle, who worked in a drug store in the Bush by Russell Square Park would bring me home a WHOLE BOX of cards ...kept me busy for a week. Life as simpler then...only goal was to get the entire Sox team...plus the stars of the others. I cringe when I think of how many Mantles, and Mays, and Koufaxs I had and how much they would be worth now
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:37 am

Harry Caray wrote:Damn, LET'S ALL HAVE A FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYER!!!!!!

NEAT!!!!!!

I have to buy 3 Michael Taylor jerseys to show him my Fanboy Love!!!!
    To paraphrase a line from Jersey Boys:

Bobby, it's like this, you gotta keep "a little kid" in ya when you watch this game, otherwise the grumpy old man that comes out at our age will forever ruin it.
    Harry Caray
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Harry Caray on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:34 am

It has been ruined by MONEY!!!  OUTRIGHT GREED.

I just want to be entertained.  Maybe the for shit White Sox will put a decent team on the field this season.

I have been going to ballgames since I was 4.  It is a simple maturation process.

Most people out at games as they get older actually watch players to see their talents.  When I was younger I would listen to older fans who KNEW THE GAME point out what players excelled at.  I learned to appreciate the beauty of the game, which has been totally trashed recently on the M.L.B. level.

My last FAVORITE SOX PLAYER was Richie Allen.

Somehow I do not think most people can force themselves to act like they are 17 years old when they are 40-plus and ignore what they actually see to lead cheers.

Most people go to games to have some damned FUN!!!

WINNING IS FUN, not pretending shit teams can turn it all around in August.  Not talking up bad ballplayers.

This is the ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS.  It used to be a form of ESCAPISM.  Brickhouse nailed it.  Forget all your troubles and cares.

Being a Fan is not some sort of LIFE CALLING except for those with NO REAL LIFE.  

Have you bothered to notice how many of those over the top goofs at your meetings are not only single, they could not get laid with a fistful of $100.00 bills at a Womens' prison????

Billionaires paying millionaires and goofs running around picking confetti off the street as some sort of REMEMBRANCE.  How cool is that??????

People on Murph's Board posting promotional items the Sox give away and acting like some piece of plastic is a treasured keepsake!!!

MY GOD!!!!!!

It is beyond sad.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:04 am

Harry Caray wrote:It has been ruined by MONEY!!!  OUTRIGHT GREED.

I just want to be entertained.  Maybe the for shit White Sox will put a decent team on the field this season.

I have been going to ballgames since I was 4.  It is a simple maturation process.

Most people out at games as they get older actually watch players to see their talents.  When I was younger I would listen to older fans who KNEW THE GAME point out what players excelled at.  I learned to appreciate the beauty of the game, which has been totally trashed recently on the M.L.B. level.

My last FAVORITE SOX PLAYER was Richie Allen.

Somehow I do not think most people can force themselves to act like they are 17 years old when they are 40-plus and ignore what they actually see to lead cheers.

Most people go to games to have some damned FUN!!!

WINNING IS FUN, not pretending shit teams can turn it all around in August.  Not talking up bad ballplayers.

This is the ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS.  It used to be a form of ESCAPISM.  Brickhouse nailed it.  Forget all your troubles and cares.

Being a Fan is not some sort of LIFE CALLING except for those with NO REAL LIFE.  

Have you bothered to notice how many of those over the top goofs at your meetings are not only single, they could not get laid with a fistful of $100.00 bills at a Womens' prison????

Billionaires paying millionaires and goofs running around picking confetti off the street as some sort of REMEMBRANCE.  How cool is that??????

People on Murph's Board posting promotional items the Sox give away and acting like some piece of plastic is a treasured keepsake!!!

MY GOD!!!!!!

It is beyond sad.
    You are dead on on most points, I just happen to have found a way (at least temporarily) to enjoy the game on someone else's dime, a little risk involved, but it keeps me on my toes. Maybe this is the last season doing it this way for me, if it is ,it sure would be nice to finish it in October in the Sox Club Level and next year's games would be under a roof in Phoenix for me!
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:51 pm

winstonage wrote:
    I did the same.  I traded away many Mantles and Mays that I wish I had back.  A Mantle for a Gus Bell was fair if I needed Bell and had doubles of Mantle.  As a kid, who could have anticipated these pieces of cardboard we put in our bicycle spokes might be worth thousands.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:57 pm

Chi-kid wrote:
    winstonage wrote:

I sorted my cards by teams also....then kept them as a league standing. The team that had the most cards, was in first place, next most 2nd, and so on until the last team with the fewest cards.  Had my own "season" so to speak based on the number of cards I was lucky to get for each team. Kept in a shoe box of course. Five cards for a nickel at the time. Get a buck doing odd jobs for mom during the week, hop on the bike on Saturday and motor on down to Kim Rexall on 87th and Stoney Island avenue and buy some cards ..sometimes i'd get lucky and have 2 bucks to spend ..and then I'd occasionally get REAL lucky and my uncle, who worked in a drug store in the Bush by Russell Square Park would bring me home a WHOLE BOX of cards ...kept me busy for a week. Life as simpler then...only goal was to get the entire Sox team...plus the stars of the others. I cringe when I think of how many Mantles, and Mays, and Koufaxs I had and how much they would be worth now
    Had not seen yours when I just posted my response.  I think we all probably have a similar story.  We could have all been very rich had we known.  I kept my teams in updated packs and had cardboard placeholders for missing players, thus my season before anticipation for the rookie card of the player so I could get rid of that blank piece of cardboard.  So many nights at the kitchen table with Bob Elson and Don Wells putting my cards in lineup order and looking at each card as the player came to bat.  Some are indelibly printed in my memory, even down to the color background and pose.  My National League cards did not get much wear.  The Sox cards got really scuffed because of following along with the radio whenever we were not in school.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:16 am