Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

KARK proven correct yet again

KARK proven correct yet again

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:04 am

Just like $2gas, the KARK called the return of the prodical son Gordon Beckham

You people need to listen to the KAR more

I know quite a few of you a re jealous of my 135IQ, and then there is the bunch that is too stuck up to appreciate my sense of humor....

Seriously, you people need to get over your damn selves
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: KARK proven correct yet again

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:27 am

Out by me, gas seems to have popped back up over $2.  Bigger question is at what point does it become "sustained" at $2?  I still have concerns that come April/May, it'll jump back up.  Fracking companies are already shutting down production all over the country.  I read about some 7,000 job cuts last week, and that Texas and North Dakota are looking at statewide recession as a distinct possibility.  Will that cut in local production lower supply? 

I read yesterday that cars are supposed to average 54 miles/gallon by 2025.  I suppose that'll really cut into the demand.  Maybe we can drop to $1.50.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:13 am

In 2025, $1.50 may or may not get you a gallon of gas, but it should pay for a Gordon Beckham baseball card for each year he played

Again folks, its not like the choice was Beckham or Cano. Its Beckham v Leury Garcia or Carlos Sanchez or the 12th & 13th pitcher.

When your talking 25th man, your not going to get Willie Mays. You get Brent Lillibridge or Dylan Alexrod. Iven the huge question marks at 3b and 2b, Beckham makes tons of sense.

PS, won't it be great to see Beckham get something Ryne Sandberg never got, A WORLD SERIES RING

alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:29 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    Again folks, its not like the choice was Beckham or Cano.  Its Beckham v Leury Garcia or Carlos Sanchez or the 12th & 13th pitcher.

When your talking 25th man, your not going to get Willie Mays. You get Brent Lillibridge or Dylan Alexrod.  Iven the huge question marks at 3b and 2b, Beckham makes tons of sense.

PS, won't it be great to see Beckham get something Ryne Sandberg never got, A WORLD SERIES RING

I love it when you post like a sane man! Smile Very Happy tongue cheers
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:32 am

You always were drawn towards the sick and perverse. tongue

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:04 pm

alohafri wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    Again folks, its not like the choice was Beckham or Cano.  Its Beckham v Leury Garcia or Carlos Sanchez or the 12th & 13th pitcher.

When your talking 25th man, your not going to get Willie Mays. You get Brent Lillibridge or Dylan Alexrod.  Iven the huge question marks at 3b and 2b, Beckham makes tons of sense.

So I shouldn't replace Father of Stan wth Ed Anger Jr?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:56 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    alohafri wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:

So I shouldn't replace Father of Stan wth Ed Anger Jr?

Not even Ed Asner.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:01 pm

Oh Mr Grant
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:44 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Just like $2gas, the KARK called the return of the prodical son Gordon Beckham

I know quite a few of you a re jealous of my 135IQ, and then there is the bunch that is too stuck up to appreciate my sense of humor....

No doubt the Kark was Jones-ing for Beckham's return and the wish was fulfilled.  He's a .230-.240 hitter with a decent glove and that's what most clubs get for a utility IFer, so no big deal.  But at $ 2 million, he's no bargain.  Sanchez could probably hit .240 too and he's only $ 500 K.
    That's probably why clubs (including his former Angel team) weren't deluging Gordo with offers for backup IF.  They could find comparable capabilities for less $$.   But there is more to the story for the Sox, IMO.  A chance to bring back a former player and first round pick seeking his one last shot at redemption.  So Reinsdorf/Williams.  He is also re-united with a Manager who over-valued him and there's a real possibility he gets too many AB's for the .230 hitter that he is. He's back with an org that may not view him as objectively as they should.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:23 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:Just like $2gas, the KARK called the return of the prodical son Gordon Beckham

No doubt the Kark was Jones-ing for Beckham's return and the wish was fulfilled.  He's a .230-.240 hitter with a decent glove and that's what most clubs get for a utility IFer, so no big deal.  But at $ 2 million, he's no bargain.  Sanchez could probably hit .240 too and he's only $ 500 K.
    That's probably why clubs (including his former Angel team) weren't deluging Gordo with offers for backup IF.  They could find comparable capabilities for less $$.   But there is more to the story for the Sox, IMO.  A chance to bring back a former player and first round pick seeking his one last shot at redemption.  So Reinsdorf/Williams.  He is also re-united with a Manager who over-valued him and there's a real possibility he gets too many AB's for the .230 hitter that he is. He's back with an org that may not view him as objectively as they should.
    Interesting discussion on mully & hanly show the other morning. Mully ( sox fan) asked Hanley ( cub fan) if he thought Beckham was burdened by high expectations based on his first year. Hanley said "absolutely- that an about eight different people trying to work with his batting and all giving different advice"
    Thought that being looked at as a utility player( even tho he said he doesn't consider himself as such) just might lower  expectations and be beneficial,especially after being away.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:34 pm

What a load of self righteous crap. Talk about being negative for negative sake...

If you stopped watching the games thru your sliderule, you'd see that Sanchez looks more like a 190 hitter than a 240, and spare me those defensive metrics, Beckham CAN swing the leather

BTW, for a guy who justified John Danks outrageous salary to complain that Beckham got 500K more than he deserves is beyond retarded

LIke I said b4, look at the whole picture, not 1.8 of it

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:45 pm

The reason Beckham is back is that he is better than Sanchez an Garcia, can play all 3 IF positions, looks like a natural platoon partner at 3B, and the White Sox don't have anybody else that can do what he does.

Granted, the return of Beckham is more about quantity than quality, but it still made the Sox better. 3% better, but still better
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:07 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:The reason Beckham is back is that he is better than Sanchez an Garcia, can play all 3 IF positions, looks like a natural platoon partner at 3B, and the White Sox don't have anybody else that can do what he does. Granted, the return of Beckham is more about quantity than quality, but it still made the Sox better.  3% better, but still better
    In what way does a guy with a career .687 OPS v. LHers "look like" a natural platoon partner ?  Maybe in the same way that he "looks like" a ballplayer. He doesn't look like a real good 3bman either, being error prone in his rookie year and with the Angels last year.  SS ?  He's played a grand total of 32 big league innings there. 
    Yes, he's better than Leury Garcia but who isn't ?  Sanchez at least had better BA's at both A and AA ball than Beckham did, and his .250 avg in the majors last year was not an embarrassment for a 22 yr old rookie.  Better than Gordo's .226 last yr.   Sanchez also played a lot of SS in the minors and some 3b.

To say Beckham is better than Sanchez is ridiculous.  They both stink.  Beckham is not more versatile in the field, he's slower and doesn't hit LHers any better. NEITHER of them make the Sox a better team. It's like comparing an Edsel to a Dodge Dart.  You only use them if you have to. But the Beckham fantasy still persists.  He was over-rated as a starter which is why he got 2500 ab's with the Sox and now he's getting over-rated as a utility player.  The Sox are exactly 0.0 % better as a result of this move.  The only hope is that they don't buy into his fantasy again because if they use him too much they'll be about - 5% worse.

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:28 pm

To say Beckham is better than Sanchez is ridiculous.  They both stink.  Beckham is not more versatile in the field, he's slower and doesn't hit LHers any better. NEITHER of them make the Sox a better team. It's like comparing an Edsel to a Dodge Dart.  You only use them if you have to. But the Beckham fantasy still persists.  He was over-rated as a starter which is why he got 2500 ab's with the Sox and now he's getting over-rated as a utility player.  The Sox are exactly 0.0 % better as a result of this move.  The only hope is that they don't buy into his fantasy again because if they use him too much they'll be about - 5% worse.

Not sure you can claim Sanchez "stinks" after about a half year in the majors. I think he is better than Beckham, and I think he should have been the utility player they kept instead of resigning this stiff for $2 million bucks. The utility player isn't going to cost the Sox the pennant, nor win the Sox the pennant, so why pay $1.5 million dollars more to have one? I agree with you in one respect. I expect Beckham to have his yearly "hot streak" and Ventura to fall in love with him once again and start playing him every day, as we all sit and watch his OBP go from .330, to .320, to .301, to .290, just like every year. .

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Chi-kid wrote:
    The utility player isn't going to cost the Sox the pennant

Unless his name is Jerry Dybzinski... Crying or Very sad

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:01 pm

To say Beckham is better than Sanchez is ridiculous.

Didn't you tell me the same thing a couple years ago when the price of gas was pushing $5 a gallon and I claimed that if the USA got serious, there is no reason it couldn't be back to $2?

Sanchez, in 100 AB had 3 BB, 25K and a measly 5 extra base hits.  Reminds me a lot of Ron Karkovice's 1986 cup of coffee when he hit 247 in 97AB.  Next year, Karko was completely over matched.  I see the exact same thing happening to Sanchez.

so yes, give me Beckham at 240 instead of Sanchez at 140

But then, I understand and know how to interept baseball stats.  I don't hide behind a handful of amateur bloggers who invent meaningless coefficients to make their BS formulas work

PS, DAMN YOU MART FOR BEATING ME TO THE DIBBER LINE

tongue
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:05 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:To say Beckham is better than Sanchez is ridiculous.

Didn't you tell me the same thing a couple years ago when the price of gas was pushing $5 a gallon and I claimed that if the USA got serious, there is no reason it couldn't be back to $2?

Sanchez, in 100 AB had 3 BB, 25K and a measly 5 extra base hits.  Reminds me a lot of Ron Karkovice's 1986 cup of coffee when he hit 247 in 97AB.  Next year, Karko was completely over matched.  I see the exact same thing happening to Sanchez.

But then, I understand and know how to interept baseball stats.  I don't hide behind a handful of amateur bloggers who invent meaningless coefficients to make their BS formulas work

tongue
    Gordon Beckham...................Your COY award awaits!!

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:18 pm

HOW THE HELL HIS BONIFACIO A BETTER CHOICE THAN BECKHAM?!?!?!?!?!

BONAFACIO CAREER OPS IS 660 AND HE IS BELOW THAT EACH OF THE PAST 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!

YET THIS GUY IS SUPPOSED TO BE HANDED 2B NO QUESTIONS ASKED, BUT WE ALL SHOULD SHUN BECKHAM?!?!?!?!?!?

NOW IT LOOKS LIKE THE REAL REASON BECKHAM IS BACK IS THAT BECKHAM IS BETTER THAN WHATEVER THEY HAD, WITH THE POSSIBLE EXCEPTION OF MICAH JOHNSON.  HOWEVER HE MAY NOT BE READY.

THANK GOD RICK HAN LIVES IN THE REAL WORLD AND NOT IN THE WORLD OF SABERMETRIC SNOBBERY

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:22 pm

sox55 wrote:

tongue

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!

THE KID STILL HAS THE TONS OF TALENT THAT MADE HIM #8 IN THE NATION

SOMETIMES YOU DON'T REACH THE TOP UNTIL AFTER YOU HIT THE BOTTOM.

ONE CAN JUST SEE BECKHAM'S INNER RYNO JUST WAITING TO COME OUT.

THAT IS, IF YOU ACTUALLY WATCH THE GAMES, INSTEAD OF PEAKING AT IT THRU YOUR SLIDERULE
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:46 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

You had to do that to us, didn't you, Mart?
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:18 pm

Nomads44 wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

You had to do that to us, didn't you, Mart?
    Most Sox fans blame "The Dibber" because he was running with his head down and got caught in a run down when Vance Law was stopped (late) on his turn at 3b by JIM LEYLAND.......THIS FAN BLAMES JIM LEYLAND to this very day for being a COWARD in a situation that CRIED to try and score the 1st run late in the ballgame (7th?) . If any of you can remember, the Sox in that entire 2nd half of the season,

were BOLD and RUTHLESS,taking chances on the bases, ALWAYS taking it to the opponent and that's why they went on to win the division by 20 games.
    All I can say is that The Dibber was acting on the instincts which led to that runaway division.
    Not that he shouldn't have had his eyes wide open, but Leyland played coward and the game is history.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:21 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:HOW THE HELL HIS BONIFACIO A BETTER CHOICE THAN BECKHAM?!?!?!?!?!  BONAFACIO CAREER OPS IS 660 AND HE IS BELOW THAT EACH OF THE PAST 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!   YET THIS GUY IS SUPPOSED TO BE HANDED 2B NO QUESTIONS ASKED, BUT WE ALL SHOULD SHUN BECKHAM?!?!?!?!?!?
    NOW IT LOOKS LIKE THE REAL REASON BECKHAM IS BACK IS THAT BECKHAM IS BETTER THAN WHATEVER THEY HAD, WITH THE POSSIBLE EXCEPTION OF MICAH JOHNSON.  HOWEVER HE MAY NOT BE READY.
    THANK GOD RICK HAN LIVES IN THE REAL WORLD AND NOT IN THE WORLD OF SABERMETRIC SNOBBERY

So now it's not enough that Beckham gets the backup role over Sanchez.  it's that he really deserves to be the starting 2bman.  That's REALLY what makes this Beckham signing so brilliant - the Sox get their starting 2bman back and at 1/2 the price. Wowee !
    Look, no one is saying Bonifacio is any prize.  There's a reason he signed for only 1 yr+$ 4 mil. His pattern is to hit for 3 months, suck the other 3. Still better than Beckham who hits 1-2 months, stinks the other 4-5.   Plus Bonifacio has good wheels - in past five yrs. he's ranked # 1 in baserunning of all 2bmen in the majors.  Beckham ranks 60th in that one.  Defensively, not much difference between the two over the past 5 years.  Beckham ranks 14th among all 2bmen with 2000 PA's since '10  - Bonifacio is 16th.
    And yes, I do believe metrics coming from guys who have watched, re-watched and charted Beckham making or not making plays over  subjective "he really looks good out there" crap.  The number of plays Beckham actually makes doesn't stand up to the REAL glove guys (Pedrioa, Utley, Phillips, Zobrist, Kinsler, Kendrick, etc).   Pedroia has saved 65 more runs with the glove than Beckham in last five years..

But yet the Beckham fantasy still burns.  Now you are insinuating Hahn has brilliantly "solved" the White Sox problem at 2b because when semi-scrub Bonifacio goes into his yearly swan dive, the Sox have pure-bred scrub Beckham to step right in.  I guess hope still burns that despite Gordo being one of the worst overall 2bmen for FIVE straight years, that somehow THIS will be his corner-turning moment where he finally figures out how not to suck anymore. Where have we heard that before ?
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:27 pm

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    sox55 wrote:

tongue

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!

THAT IS, IF YOU ACTUALLY WATCH THE GAMES, INSTEAD OF PEAKING AT IT THRU YOUR SLIDERULE

Phoenix will rise from the ashes !!
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:41 pm

sox55 wrote:

tongue

Isn't COY, coach of the year?  Are you meaning comeback player of the year?  Aren't people who win that award required to have previously had a good year to come back to?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:46 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    sox55 wrote:

tongue

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!

Phoenix will rise from the ashes !!

Really to be win "Comeback of the Year" a player has to have been good enough at some point to have dipped and then come back from a dismal year, not a slough of dismal years.  They don't usually give the award to perennial stinkers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:07 am