Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Gordon?

Re: Gordon?

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:01 am

Cream1953 wrote:So lock me up. Part of our "agreement" is that if I get put away she gives me conjugal visits.

So a cup of coffee is creepy, but this is supposed to be funny

Se the same bar ofsoap for both your faces Creampuff?

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:07 am

rmapasad wrote:
    sox55 wrote:
    "Adding Gordon improves the depth and flexibility of our roster," said Rick Hahn, White Sox senior vice president/general manager. "We are thrilled to have him back. Like Emilio Bonifacio, Gordon brings the ability to play solid defense at multiple positions or play on an everyday basis should we elect to go that route. This also gives Robin the ability to play matchups more effectively when setting the lineup."
    Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  
    Not exactly a thrilling idea to see Gordo getting 450-500 AB's this season but given how Ventura seemed to favor him, that is a very distinct possibility.

AS ANYBODY GUSHING WITH EXCITEMENT OVER Carlos Sanchez?!??!?!?!?

You need to look at the whole picture, not just 1.8 of it

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:14 am

Chi-kid wrote:Maybe Roger knows.

You need to stop trying to convince a brickhead of facts and start paying attention to the Sox ...
    Sox signed Viciedo to a 1 year/$4.4M about 2 weeks ago. Now unless they changed the rules, a contract is a contract and if the sox release him, they owe him the money. Nobody is going to trade for Viciedo b/c the minute they let him go, and he becomes free, anyone can sign him for the minimum salary, with the Sox having to pay up the remaining amount to get to $4.4 million. If they have an 'out" in this contract, I am sure the players' association doesn't know about it.

Hey brickhead

Not al contracts are guarenteed.

Used to be 3/15 was the date to dump a guy to avoid paying him.

But now I'm trying to convince a brickhead of facts......

Gordo > Sanchez is the only fact I need to know

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:32 am

tHe SicKo FANt wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    sox55 wrote:
    "Adding Gordon improves the depth and flexibility of our roster," said Rick Hahn, White Sox senior vice president/general manager. "We are thrilled to have him back. Like Emilio Bonifacio, Gordon brings the ability to play solid defense at multiple positions or play on an everyday basis should we elect to go that route. This also gives Robin the ability to play matchups more effectively when setting the lineup."
    Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy  
    Not exactly a thrilling idea to see Gordo getting 450-500 AB's this season but given how Ventura seemed to favor him, that is a very distinct possibility.

I don't think they give Beckham a lot of playing time. If the intent was for him to compete at second, they never would have signed Bonifacio.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:22 am

The more the marry her winston

The intent is depth

Nothing wrong with a 5 or 6 man bench

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:Found this in a Trib article.

Viciedo, 25, hit .231 with 21 home runs and 58 RBIs in 145 games last season and has a career average of .254. He signed a $4.4 million contract to avoid arbitration this month, and if the Sox don’t find a trade partner in the next 10 days would have to pay him a little more than $700,000 upon his release.

I knew there was some kind of out clause.

Thanks
    You may now return to your other job on the board ...
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:11 pm

Chi-kid wrote:

Thanks
    You may now return to your other job on the board ...

That job gets boring after a while.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:16 pm

I'd be interested in understanding what kind of weird rule that teams are using to do this.  Seems like there are guidelines tied to re-signing guys that you are considering non-tendering whereby you can non roster them early enough to avoid paying them in full?  Sounds like an NFL rule if I don't mind saying so.

Then why would a player EVER sign and avoid arbitration if there was an out clause to signing, but the arbitrators ruling is final? If the arbitrator gives a decision regarding the salary, teams that don't like that rule can't just cut the player for 30 cents on the dollar. So what would possess Viciedo to even agree to this??
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:55 pm

winstonage wrote:

I don't think they give Beckham a lot of playing time. If the intent was for him to compete at second, they never would have signed Bonifacio.

Bonafacio is the Opening Day 2bman but the thought in signing Beckham was probably (as shown in Hahn's comments) that if Bonifacio stumbles we can always go back to Gordo.  IMO, both Bonifacio and Beckham are utility guys and shouldn't be starters but Bonafacio offers more on offense (career .262 BA v. Gordo's .245 plus EB can steal bases).   But Bonifacio is more unstable in his hitting - .296 in 2011 , .258 in 2012.  Hits .218 in 1/2 season with Jays in 2013 , then .285 the other half with Royals.  Hits .279 with the Cubs in 2014, gets traded to Braves and puts up a .212.  This roller-coaster stuff is probably why EB only commanded $ 4 mil on the market and why the Sox felt they needed an experienced backup to him.  IMO, odds are pretty decent that Beckham will wind up as starting 2bman at some point, particularly because of this perception that Gordo is some sort of glove wizard despite his wet noodle bat.  Bonifacio's leash will be pretty short and if the bad Emilio shows up early on, he will be grabbing a lot of pine. Unfortunately the Sox didn't land Zobrist, who is a REAL starting 2bman.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:12 pm

Chi-kid wrote:I'd be interested in understanding what kind of weird rule that teams are using to do this.  Seems like there are guidelines tied to re-signing guys that you are considering non-tendering whereby you can non roster them early enough to avoid paying them in full?  Sounds like an NFL rule if I don't mind saying so.

Then why would a player EVER sign and avoid arbitration if there was an out clause to signing, but the arbitrators ruling is final? If the arbitrator gives a decision regarding the salary, teams that don't like that rule can't just cut the player for 30 cents on the dollar. So what would possess Viciedo to even agree to this??

I'll see if I can get Mark the CPA to explain it to you once I'm done LMAO

BTW, have you everconsidered anger mgmt? Or is this just an online persona were the board gets treated to your angry side. Kinda like how that KARK fella treats the board to the sick & digusting side he hides from the rest of the world?

Hey ain't you and the KRK both Pollacks

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:13 pm

Yawn...  Is Gordon Beckham worth close to 3 dozen posts in a little over 24 hours?  He's not the second coming of Eddie Collins or Nellie Fox. Sleep
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:21 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:Yawn...  Is Gordon Beckham worth close to 3 dozen posts in a little over 24 hours?  He's not the second coming of Eddie Collins or Nellie Fox. Sleep

Yeah, but Eddie Collins or Nellie Fox were never traded for themself.  This is the most even trade the Sox have had in 20 years.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:22 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:Yawn...  Is Gordon Beckham worth close to 3 dozen posts in a little over 24 hours?  He's not the second coming of Eddie Collins or Nellie Fox. Sleep

I'm just glad he didn't end up in Seattle.  Now I'm worried about Tank, though.  I thought Seattle dodged that one but now I'm not so sure.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:26 pm

jaywit wrote:

Yeah, but Eddie Collins or Nellie Fox were never traded for themself.  This is the most even trade the Sox have had in 20 years.

The Sox also cut his salary by more than half.  Beckham made over $4 million last year.  Maybe they can ship him off again this summer and sign him next winter for under $1 million.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:40 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

The Sox also cut his salary by more than half.  Beckham made over $4 million last year.  Maybe they can ship him off again this summer and sign him next winter for under $1 million.

So, what your saying is that the 2015 Sox outsmarted the 2014 Sox in this trade.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:49 pm

jaywit wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

So, what your saying is that the 2015 Sox outsmarted the 2014 Sox in this trade.

But if the 2015 Sox are so smart how come they're stuck with this loser?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:24 pm

jaywit wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

But if the 2015 Sox are so smart how come they're stuck with this loser?

Oh, I'm not saying they're smart.  It reminds me of the guys who kept buying GM stock in 2008-9 on its way down to bankruptcy.

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:51 pm

He's not the second coming of Eddie Collins or Nellie Fox.

True, those guys would have a higher OPS now then Beckham will end up with ....

btw - I notice John hasn't commented. Will someone get the smelling salts and wake him up.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:07 pm

Not yet, anyway.  Just give it a little time.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:24 am

Heard from a media type that Good old Gordon is one of JERRY'S KIDS.

A favorite of CHAIRMAN.

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:41 am

GORDON FO TEAM CAPTAIN!!!!!!
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:05 pm

THAT'S NOT FUNNY!!!!!
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:37 pm

DEPENDS!!!!  John may be on the phone ordering more full season tickets!!!  Gordon worth  $$$$$$$$!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:22 am