Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

DUMBEST STAT EVER

DUMBEST STAT EVER

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:22 pm

Has anybody else besides you know who heard of this latest abomination for the so called sabermetric community

PITCHING INDEPENDENT OF FIELDING!!!!!!

Trying to quantify how much of pitching is really fielding is like having a beauty pagent and telling the judges to ignore the tits.

Fielding and pitching go hand in hand.  Just like big tits and hot chicks.

What kind of sick fuck would try to separate the two?  And what about pitchers like Buehrle who constantly use his fielders?  Sure enough, this stupid stat screws guys like Buehrle

And in true sabermetric fashion, they start multiplying thing for no apparent reason.  What journalism drop out decided to multiply this crap by 3.1 and what orafice did he pull that number out of?!?!?!?!??!?!

And what does this piss me off.  The garbage stat is oozing its way into articles.  The Bleacher Report is starting to use it all the time.  For the record, being a blogger doesn't make you a stats genius like some here have claimed.

I can wait to hear Bernstein quote this BS stat so I can call in and rip him a new one.  Bet Boers will love the beauty pagenet analogy
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Re: DUMBEST STAT EVER

Post by rmapasad on Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Father of Stan wrote:Has anybody else besides you know who heard of this latest abomination for the so called sabermetric community.. PITCHING INDEPENDENT OF FIELDING!!!!!!
    Trying to quantify how much of pitching is really fielding is like having a beauty pagent and telling the judges to ignore the tits.
    Fielding and pitching go hand in hand.  Just like big tits and hot chicks.
    What kind of sick fuck would try to separate the two?  And what about pitchers like Buehrle who constantly use his fielders?  Sure enough, this stupid stat screws guys like Buehrle
    And in true sabermetric fashion, they start multiplying thing for no apparent reason.  What journalism drop out decided to multiply this crap by 3.1 and what orafice did he pull that number out of?!?!?!?!??!?!
    And what does this piss me off.  The garbage stat is oozing its way into articles.  The Bleacher Report is starting to use it all the time.  For the record, being a blogger doesn't make you a stats genius like some here have claimed.
    I can wait to hear Bernstein quote this BS stat so I can call in and rip him a new one.  Bet Boers will love the beauty pagenet analogy

Invective and bombast ain't the answer here, Kark.   Over a guy's career, FIP doesn't seem to add  much useful information since the vast majority of guys have career ERA's almost identical their career FIP's.  
    Its value has come when a guy's actual ERA is 3.00 and his FIP is 4.60 one year. Chances are next year his actual ERA will revert  toward his FIP.
    Of course, if he has the same bad fielders and same bad bullpen trying to keep his runners from scoring, maybe it won't revert.   And I do agree with you guys like Buehrle have learned to keep the balls in play more harmless v. an avg pitcher can get penalized by FIP which stresses only BB, K and HR.  So for a small handful of pitchers like him FIP may not be a good stat to use.
    Still, studies have shown that guys' ERA's tend to revert toward their FIP's over enough innings.  That's why this stat has stood the test of time and is being used as much as it is.  If there was something seriously wrong with it (other than some occasional injustices) the true stat hounds would have discredited it some while ago.  In the end, Kark, the most devastating critics of a badly invented stat aren't the anti-stat crowd but the stat guys themselves.

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:45 am

LMAO

The stat hounds. What a fucking joke

More like all the mathematical masterbaters jerking off to the same picture

Sure these clowns police themselves. Wonder how many know the definition of multicolinearity. Definitely not the ones that fell for the 1.8 BS from a journalism drop out
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:56 pm

The journalism dropout hasn't done too badly - writer at NBC, Sr. Editor at Rotoworld.. His 1.8 formula , while not discredited, just isn't used anymore.  It's been replaced with wOBA, which is supposed to be even more precise.  Actually, wOBA is basically a spruced up rehash of Palmer's Linear Weights formula.  I read what these stat guys are doing and have respect for their work, but most of their stuff gets too esoteric for practical use. 
    Quite honestly, good old-fashioned OPS is close enough for my taste.  You can add or subtract 20-25 pts. if a guy plays in an extreme pitcher or hitters park, and this usually tells the tale pretty well.

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:18 am

Mike North did quite for himself as well, so what's your point

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:22 am

Good ole fashion OPS.......

No shit sherlock. Baseball isn't sending a man to Mars

No if you want to read some real sabermetrics, try finding a copy of DIAMOND APPRAISED by Craig Wright. 25th anniversary issue s/b out by now.

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:27 am

BTW, the real sabermetrics a ballclub would want is the type that tell you how often or how long it takes the Ohn Danks types to recover. Or if the Gordon Beckham types ever make it. That is a heel of a lot more uselful than the mathematical masterbation your citing as cutting edge

Plus I stand by my comment FIP is like having a beauty pagent where the judges are told to ignore the woman's breast. I'm sure even RobZ will have to agree with the KARK that titties are a beautiful thing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 am