Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Tank signs 1 yr deal with Sox

sox55
    Roof Shot

Tank signs 1 yr deal with Sox

Post by sox55 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:49 pm

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Tank signs 1 yr deal with Sox

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:54 pm

From Rotoworld.com:

"White Sox and OF Dayan Viciedo avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $4.4 million contract. Viciedo, who made $2.8 million in 2014, was arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter. Because he was a Super Two player, he remains under team control through 2017. Viciedo turns 26 in March and batted .231 with 21 homers and a .686 OPS last season. Assuming the White Sox can't find a match for him on the trade front, he'll go into the 2015 season without a starting job."
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:44 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:From Rotoworld.com:

"White Sox and OF Dayan Viciedo avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $4.4 million contract. Viciedo, who made $2.8 million in 2014, was arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter. Because he was a Super Two player, he remains under team control through 2017. Viciedo turns 26 in March and batted .231 with 21 homers and a .686 OPS last season. Assuming the White Sox can't find a match for him on the trade front, he'll go into the 2015 season without a starting job."

Pretty expensive for a reserve OFer with his offensive, defensive and baserunnnig deficiencies. I'm still struggling with the baseball reasons for keeping him around.  Yeah, he shows occasional flashes of power but so what ?  You can find slog-footed power guys with holes in their swing for a lot less than $ 4.5 mil.   Sure, he's only 26 years old but unlike decent players who improve in their mid 20's, he keeps getting worse every year.  He's probably been offered up so much in trade talks that other GM's don't want to hear his name anymore. 
    He probably offers the theoretical value of being a RHed partner to LaRoche at DH.  I say "theoretical" because he's only managed a 230 BA, 692 OPS these last two years v. LHers.    The other issue is that the Sox's OF is not exactly a bunch of iron men in Melky, Eaton or Garcia. A 4th OFer could easily get 800 innings in the field and 450 AB's.   Which would possibly justify a $ 4-5 million salary for a decent 4th OFer (like a Craig Gentry) who's solid defensively and won't kill you at the plate. Unfortunately now that the Sox have committed $ 4.5 mil to Viciedo in that capacity he could end up seeing about 500 innings and 250 AB's too many for the good of this team.
    TeleFrank
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Post by TeleFrank on Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Anyone know if they really had to sign this idiot. Can you let a contract just expire?
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:38 pm

Well this fucking ruined my day. Wish I had $4.4 million I could just piss away on the garbage. Mad
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:45 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Well this fucking ruined my day. Wish I had $4.4 million I could just piss away on the garbage. Mad

Can you believe that shit?  What does he do well, besides swinging really hard and occasionally hitting one out?

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Wah wah wah

You crybabies said the same crap aout Uribe in 2008 and he saved their ass when Crede's back went out for good

In case you hadn't noticed, the Sox hitting looks mediocre as a whole. Why not give someone with the talent of a Viciedo another year to pull his headout his ass.

And just who is he blocking?!?!?!?!? Someone even worse like Jared Mitchell?!?!?!?!?

Heck, if keeping the tank means only keeping 11 pitchers, that alone isworth 4.4mil

Speaking of 4.4mil, isn't that just funny money anyway?

Truth be told, this is nothing but a minor move with zero chance of hurting the team and alongshot to payoff big

So quit your bitchin pussies

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 am