Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Emilio Bonifacio

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Emilio Bonifacio

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:48 am

From Rotoworld.com:

"FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the White Sox have agreed to a one-year, $4 million free agent contract with utilityman Emilio Bonifacio. CBS Sports' Jon Heyman says the deal includes a club option for 2016. Bonifacio will probably be asked to play second base for the White Sox, but he's capable of handling just about every position on the diamond. The 29-year-old batted .259/.305/.345 with three home runs and 26 stolen bases in 110 games this past season between the Cubs and Braves. He should again carry fantasy value as a base-stealing threat in 2015."

Hopefully, he's not just another pretty face...

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Re: Emilio Bonifacio

Post by frank bonifacic on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:05 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:From Rotoworld.com:

"FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the White Sox have agreed to a one-year, $4 million free agent contract with utilityman Emilio Bonifacio. CBS Sports' Jon Heyman says the deal includes a club option for 2016. Bonifacio will probably be asked to play second base for the White Sox, but he's capable of handling just about every position on the diamond. The 29-year-old batted .259/.305/.345 with three home runs and 26 stolen bases in 110 games this past season between the Cubs and Braves. He should again carry fantasy value as a base-stealing threat in 2015."

Very subtle. Didn't realize you were a renaissance man!!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:22 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:From Rotoworld.com:

How about another Rob Mackowiak-type utility guy being asked to play every day...

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:38 am

I like the move.  The Sox can use him at 2B or platoon him at 3B with Gillaspie.  He can also fill in playing CF.  He's a veteran utility player with excellent speed, a definite upgrade over Leury Garcia.  His presence means that the Sox can break in either Carlos Sanchez or Micah Johnson more slowly.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:24 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:I like the move.  The Sox can use him at 2B or platoon him at 3B with Gillaspie.  He can also fill in playing CF.  He's a veteran utility player with excellent speed, a definite upgrade over Leury Garcia.  His presence means that the Sox can break in either Carlos Sanchez or Micah Johnson more slowly.

He's probably penciled in as the starting 2bman at this point, knowing Ventura's favoritism toward the "safer vet".  His glove seems to be OK from the limited innings at 2b.   Overall, his % of plays made looks comparable to Beckham's last year - maybe a slight downgrade.
    He certainly will upgrade the speed component when he does get on base, but the problem will be him getting on enough.  Not a bad signing though since this gives the Sox a semi-decent alternative to having to play Sanchez or Johnson.

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:40 am

Does this mean Zobrist was just a pipe dream?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:01 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

No offense meant, Frank.  I wasn't aiming any barbs your way.  Besides, you're an old coot like me, only older.  Pretty faces for us are a thing of the past. Sad

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:08 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Does this mean Zobrist was just a pipe dream?

Bonifacio isn't as good as Ben Zobrist, but he comes at a cheaper salary and without having to trade anyone for him.  Also, the Sox hold an option for 2016, so Bonifacio isn't a one-year rental as Zobrist would have probably been.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:11 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

No offense meant, Frank.  I wasn't aiming any barbs your way.  Besides, you're an old coot like me, only older.  Pretty faces for us are a thing of the past. Sad

Never took offense at all. Thought you were just playing with words. Bonifacio translated is "good face" in Latin, Italian, Spanish and my name would be the same.
    Could also be translated as well made -Latin word "facio" is to make
    I once told some girls at a party in college that it could also mean "good make"

I guess I was giving you some undeserved credit (LOL)
    And thanks for reminding me that I am older than you.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:42 pm

I once told some girls at a party in college that it could also mean "good make"

Wow...who could resist with a line like that??!! tongue

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I once told some girls at a party in college that it could also mean "good make"

Wow...who could resist with a line like that??!! tongue

I was actually pimping them. It was 1st -2nd year college and group of Cincinnati girls at a dance and remarks about Chicago and switch blades, etc. Asked if I was Italian and said no Croatian and then "what is that, etc. and what does it mean"
    So after the first two translations, I gave them that one. I believe one or two of them might have been offended -Mission accomplished.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:39 pm

I like this signing.  Just hope he can start out for the Sox like he did for the Cubs last year.  He was En Fuego the first few weeks.  That would give Johnson or Sanchez a little more time before getting thrown into the fire.  And also hastens Viciedo out of here if they can find a taker for him.

Post by Guest on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:57 pm

Gordo will go for 1/4 of this in 5 weeks!!!!!

Actually, nice to see the bench being strengthened. Need John to tell Coop 11 is more than enough pitchers this spring
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:35 pm

Father of Stan wrote:Gordo will go for 1/4 of this in 5 weeks!!!!!

Actually, nice to see the bench being strengthened.  Need John to tell Coop 11 is more than enough pitchers this spring

I've tried.........he WANTS 13!!
    I get into an argument with him every spring.
    Father of Satan
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Father of Satan on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:01 pm

sox55 wrote:
    Father of Stan wrote:Gordo will go for 1/4 of this in 5 weeks!!!!!

Actually, nice to see the bench being strengthened.  Need John to tell Coop 11 is more than enough pitchers this spring

I've tried.........he WANTS 13!!
    I get into an argument with him every spring.

He wants 666! Fie on you!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:01 pm

The signing of Bonifacio has already paid dividends!  From Rotoworld.com:

"White Sox designated OF Jordan Danks for assignment. Danks was pushed off Chicago's 40-man roster Thursday to clear a spot for Emilio Bonifacio, who has been signed to a one-year, $4 million free agent contract. Danks, 28, batted just .222/.303/.291 in 132 plate appearances last season for the White Sox." cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:19 pm

They seemingly cut ties with Jordan Danks once before only to bring him back. I never want to see the stiff in a White Sox uniform ever again! They can "push off" his crummy brother too for all I care. As I see it, he's the weak link in the staff.

Ok....here comes Roger!! Rolling Eyes

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:47 pm

Cream1953 wrote:They seemingly cut ties with Jordan Danks once before only to bring him back. I never want to see the stiff in a White Sox uniform ever again! They can "push off" his crummy brother too for all I care. As I see it, he's the weak link in the staff.

Last spring when the Sox designated Jordan Danks for assignment, nobody claimed him off waivers.  At that point, the Sox could have simply released him, but instead they sent him to the minors.  I doubt if anyone will want him now either, so he'll probably pass through waivers again.  Maybe the Sox will just release him this time.  We can hope.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:55 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:They seemingly cut ties with Jordan Danks once before only to bring him back. I never want to see the stiff in a White Sox uniform ever again! They can "push off" his crummy brother too for all I care. As I see it, he's the weak link in the staff.

Last spring when the Sox designated Jordan Danks for assignment, nobody claimed him off waivers.  At that point, the Sox could have simply released him, but instead they sent him to the minors.  I doubt if anyone will want him now either, so he'll probably pass through waivers again.  Maybe the Sox will just release him this time.  We can hope.

Two words...Crash Davis.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:28 pm

alohafri wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

Two words...Crash Davis.

There's another possibility.  If Jordan Danks clears waivers, he might declare himself a free agent rather than take a reassignment to the minors.  Maybe he feels that he has put in enough time in Triple A and that he'll have a better chance with another organization.  Go, Jordan, go!  PLEASE!  We can only hope.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:21 pm

Go, Jordan, go! PLEASE! We can only hope.

He's like a bad fucking toothache that doesn't go away.

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:09 pm

BETTER YET, MAYBE I'LL GET THE COACH BACK TO TELL YOU

NO WEAK LINKS!!!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:44 am

Father of Stan wrote:

Danks is a picture of frustration.  Just when it looks like he might have finally learned how to cope with his post-surgery fastball, he falls in the ditch again.  Then when it looks like he's finished and should be released, he rebounds and pitches a nice stretch (like he did in September).  He was absolutely pathetic in 6 games v. the dregs of the AL (Houston, Minnesota, Texas) giving up 40 ER in 30 innings, but in his 11 starts v. playoff teams he put up a 2.68 ERA. In his 4 starts against the two World Series teams (KC,SF) he had a 2.05 ERA.
    To be able to do what he did against good teams suggests he probably still has some salvageable skills.  But to be so bad against the bad teams is inexcusable.  Overall, he pitched 15 legitimately good games, 10 so-so and 7 stinkers.   That's "serviceable" and now that he's the 4th starter,that's about all you expect.  Sure, he's overpaid as hell but that's not his fault.
    If he basically is a 6 inning, 3 run guy that justifies his existence.  But Ventura needs to yank him early when it's clear the other team has his number that day or when Danks starts falling behind too many hitters. Yank him before the roof caves in.  Let him go into the 7th inning only when he can jump ahead of hitters.  It all comes down to him being able to paint the corners with his 87-88 mph fastball more consistently.  If he can, that can set up hitters for the curve and change and keep him reasonably effective.  If he can't, he's dogmeat.  Simple as that.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:48 pm

In other words....he's a mediocre pitcher who fucking sucks more often than not.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:35 pm

Cream1953 wrote:In other words....he's a mediocre pitcher who fucking sucks more often than not.

Yeah, he's a mediocre pitcher.  No doubt about that.. Of his starts, 15 were good solid ones, 4 were borderline good, 6 were fairly lousy but not disasters, and 7 were fucking nightmares.   So more often than not, his starts "kept his team in the game".    About what you get from a mediocre 4th starter. 
    If he does the same thing this year, he justifies his existence in the rotation if not his salary. 

But Danks walks the tightrope of disaster in too many games.  Yeah, he managed to avoid the disaster more often than not, but his stuff just isn't good anymore now that he's lost a couple MPH off the fastball.  Plus, with the fast development of a 3rd LHer in Rodon, the Sox need to get another effective RHer into the rotation and Danks out.  For those reasons, I too hope they can find a suitable RHer to trade for to bump him out of the rotation by midseason, assuming Rodon is ready to step in by then.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:28 pm