Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Don't fill any needs at all!!!

Hawk Harrelson
    Silent Hot Dog Vendor

Don't fill any needs at all!!!

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 am

Everything is just peachy!!  Nobody goes.  Nobody watches.  Nobody cares.  Attendence drops 8 straight seasons.  Pay that no mind!!  Out of towners have a better grasp of the situation.  After all, people showed up on Opening Day and Konerko weekend.  Bring up the necessary players from CHARLOTTE!!!  That will work!!  Don't fill glaring needs because somebody may call it WIN NOW!!!!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Don't fill any needs at all!!!

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:05 am

COMPETE NOW! - WIN ASAP!

Why the hell would anyone want to go to the ballpark with the philosophy:

"Wait 'til the next season after next season -- maybe."

or

"Hang in there and wait -- and keep waiting."

ROFLMAO!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:21 am

How about a slogan for Sox management:

"SOX BRASS - GET OFF YOUR ASS!"

It shouldn't take years and years to improve the team and get it competitive.  Spend the damn cash and aim to win ASAP!

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:04 am

It shouldn't take years and years to improve the team and get it competitive.  Spend the damn cash and aim to win ASAP!

Sounds good - but then you don't sign LaRoche, you sign Kendrys Morales or Pablo Sandoval, and Ramierez from the Dodgers and you solve the 1st and 3b problem. Then you can sign Cabrera for LF and Edison Volquez to be your right handed starter, and Rafael Soriano to close- if the Sox do that, then GREAT!
    Problem is, they aren't going to do that. They are signing a 35 yr old Adam Dunn, the sequel.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:41 am

Chi-kid wrote:It shouldn't take years and years to improve the team and get it competitive.  Spend the damn cash and aim to win ASAP!

Sounds good - but then you don't sign LaRoche, you sign Kendrys Morales or Pablo Sandoval, and Ramierez from the Dodgers and you solve the 1st and 3b problem. Then you can sign Cabrera for LF and Edison Volquez to be your right handed starter, and Rafael Soriano to close- if the Sox do that, then GREAT!
    Problem is, they aren't going to do that. They are signing a 35 yr old Adam Dunn, the sequel.

I saw where the Pirates designated 1B Ike Davis for assignment last week and the A's just picked him up on the cheap.  Davis is 27 years old and is arbitration eligible for the next 2 years.  He made $3.5 million in 2014.  He's not going to make anywhere near the $12.5 million next season that Adam LaRoche will make.  I'm not saying that Davis is all that great, but how is a 35 year old Adam LaRoche all that much better?  He ain't; and besides, there's potential upside to Davis while LaRoche is nearing the end of his career.

It isn't so much that the Sox won't spend money.  It's that they spend money stupidly.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:17 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:It shouldn't take years and years to improve the team and get it competitive.  Spend the damn cash and aim to win ASAP!

I saw where the Pirates designated 1B Ike Davis for assignment last week and the A's just picked him up on the cheap.  Davis is 27 years old and is arbitration eligible for the next 2 years.  He made $3.5 million in 2014.  He's not going to make anywhere near the $12.5 million next season that Adam LaRoche will make.  I'm not saying that Davis is all that great, but how is a 35 year old Adam LaRoche all that much better?  He ain't; and besides, there's potential upside to Davis while LaRoche is nearing the end of his career.

It isn't so much that the Sox won't spend money.  It's that they spend money stupidly.

Ike Davis is a left handed Viciedo with a better glove. The Pirates DFA him with no clear first baseman. They aren't convinced Alvarez can play first. LaRoche had a 2.3 owar last year, he strikes out half of what Dunn does he should serve them well the next 2 years. I love Hahn's strategy, sign guys on short deals to bridge the next 2 years when guys like Anderson, Montas, Danish and a few others are ready. This team never went into a complete rebuild because they couldn't. They didn't have guys like Dempster and Garza to trade for good pieces. The Sox are retooling, building a young core and adding veterans on short deals. I don't think they sign Cabrera, he will probably want 4 years and that dose not fit their strategy. Look for 2 signings for a left field platoon. (David Dejesus, Johnny Gomes)?
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:08 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly.  Davis has got issues, but then again he's shown some hitting ability which may re-surface..  I see both Davis and LaRoche as capable of hitting .250 with 25 HR's and both possible of hitting only .200 with 15-17 HRs.  Because of an 8-9 year age difference and a $ 8-9 mil per year salary difference, Davis makes a lot more sense, IMO.  Especially for a club like the White Sox.

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Excuse me Mart and Roger, but good players sign multi million dolar contracts, bad players get designated for assignment

You cry WIN NOW, but you ain't winning crap combing the DFA and nontender lists.

This strategy might work for Charlotte, but not Chicago
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Father of Stan wrote:Excuse me Mart and Roger, but good players sign multi million dolar contracts, bad players get designated for assignment
    You cry WIN NOW, but you ain't winning crap combing the DFA and nontender lists.

I get what you are saying, Kark.  A club shouldn't just wave the white flag and refuse to fill a gaping hole in the lineup.  The Sox need a DH, and a LHed power bat.  LaRoche checks those boxes and what he did last year  (1.6 wins above replacement) bettered what the Sox had with Dunn (0 WAR).  There's no one in AAA or AA last year to answer the bell either.

Even assuming LaRoche stays as effective at age 36 as he was at 35, that type of small improvement isn't enough to help a 73 win team win anything either.  It will only if Reinsdorf is prepared to spend a whole bunch more for the other holes the Sox have.  But something tells me that $ 12 million for LaRoche and $ 12 million for someone else (which basically gets you another mediocrity in free agency) will get the Chairman dizzy. 

Bad part of this is that there is significant risk that age decline causes LaRoche to fall off the cliff this year.  As much risk of that, I think, as there is Ike Davis sucks again.   And if LaRoche turns into Dunn or worse, the Sox are stuck with a bad $ 12 milllion contract next year that crowds out other spending.    This isn't the Angels, Red Sox, Yankees or Dodgers who routinely cope with albatross contracts and find ways to move on.  Reinsdorf seems to sulk everytime he spends $ 10 million + on someone who bombs and then doesn't want to take these financial risks for a while.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:12 pm

Father of Stan wrote:Excuse me Mart and Roger, but good players sign multi million dolar contracts, bad players get designated for assignment

Yeah, Kark, but if a team signs a 35 year old guy for $25 million for 2 years who is comparable to another guy 8 years younger who was DFA'd, then it's one dumb signing.

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:39 pm

And thinking a guy with a 378 slg is just as god as. Guy with a 455 slg is just plain dumb

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:53 pm

Father of Stan wrote:And thinking a guy with a 378 slg is just as god as. Guy with a 455 slg is just plain dumb

Neither is a "god", Kark.  If it were up to me, I wouldn't want either one of them - especially not for $25 million for 2 years.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:17 pm

Father of Stan wrote:And thinking a guy with a 378 slg is just as god as. Guy with a 455 slg is just plain dumb

Obviously true but two points: 1- if you take LaRoche's last 4 yrs. with the Nats (2000 PA) at 441 Slug/781 OPS and Davis' last 4 yrs (2100 PA's)  at 423 Slug/759 OPS, the difference isn't that great.  Then consider that Davis is 27 yrs old and has a greater chance of improving and avoiding further decline than a 35 yr old LaRoche, the chances of them being fairly equal in 2015 are quite possible.
    Second - even assuming that the 378 v. 455 differential in 2014 still holds, is it feasible financially ? In 2014, LaRoche was 1.6 wins over replacement v. Davis' .3.  AR is getting $ 12.5 mil, ID is $ 3.5 mil.
    So that's $ 9 mil extra salary for 1.3 extra wins  or roughly $ 7 mil per win.   The Sox need 17 more wins to get to 90 wins.   If they have to pay $ 7 mil per win that means an extra $ 129 million onto last year's existing
    $ 75 mil (excluding Dunn's salary).   I don't see Sox payroll going to $ 200 million + anytime soon.

assuming the 2014 performance difference holds,

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Ike Davis sucks.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Father of Stan wrote:Ike Davis sucks.

Profound insight, Captain Obvious!  LMAO!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:02 am