Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Sox Sign Adam Laroche

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Sox Sign Adam Laroche

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Father of Stan wrote:Adam laroach remind anybody else o pete lacock

No...  You do. tongue
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Father of Stan wrote:Defensive stats for 1B arfe as reliable as biorythyms.  
    Suzy the psychic can evaluate 1b better than the mumbers nerds

IT's not the "numbers nerds" who are coming up with the data.   The chances that a fielder gets are being charted by an OBSERVER who watches plays on video
    then determines whether a ball is in the zone, how playable it is and then charts whether the play is made or not.  All the "number nerds" do is take the raw data
    and compute the % of plays made v. chances which is simple math like computing a Bat Avg.  and compare it to other players at the same position.  There are no
    fancy formulas or statistical hokus-pokus.   Obviously the reliability of the assessment depends on how good the charters are, much like the determination of hits
    and errors by an official scorer.   However, the reliability is improved by having another observer look at close call type plays just like close HR calls now go to video
    review.  Nearly all the clubs are using this information nowdays.   Deciding whether a guy is a good fielder because he "looks like" one is truly Suzy the Psychic stuff.

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:45 pm

rmapasad wrote:

IT's not the "numbers nerds" who are coming up with the data.   The chances that a fielder gets are being charted by an OBSERVER who watches plays on video
    then determines whether a ball is in the zone, how playable it is and then charts whether the play is made or not.  All the "number nerds" do is take the raw data
    and compute the % of plays made v. chances which is simple math like computing a Bat Avg.  and compare it to other players at the same position.  There are no
    fancy formulas or statistical hokus-pokus.   Obviously the reliability of the assessment depends on how good the charters are, much like the determination of hits
    and errors by an official scorer.   However, the reliability is improved by having another observer look at close call type plays just like close HR calls now go to video
    review.  Nearly all the clubs are using this information nowdays.   Deciding whether a guy is a good fielder because he "looks like" one is truly Suzy the Psychic stuff.

So how do these intelligent people take into effect the speed of the ball going thru the "zone"?  I can have the range of Ozzie Smith if the ball to my left is hit slow enough for me to get to it, yet the ball can be 2 feet from a fielder and may never have a chance if its a rocket?  Would a guy have a terrible zone rating if people are hitting shots at him all week.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:42 am

I have no problem with this at all.  2 years.  Abreu has feet problems.  Bruce Levine talking up DEFENSE on radio Saturday Morning.  Go out and get Melky and get rid of the albatross TANK!!!!  THE SOX NEED LEFT HANDED BATS.  Melky a switch hitter.  There is a BASEBALL method to Hahn's madness........not some big WIN NOW splash.

Levine also commented that Tank Viciedo does not comprehend hitting instruction because he is a DUMB ASS.  Hacker Tank the Monster!!!

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:39 am

Tank Viciedo wrote:I have no problem with this at all.  2 years.  Abreu has feet problems.  Bruce Levine talking up DEFENSE on radio Saturday Morning.  Go out and get Melky and get rid of the albatross TANK!!!!  THE SOX NEED LEFT HANDED BATS.  Melky a switch hitter.  There is a BASEBALL method to Hahn's madness........not some big WIN NOW splash.

Levine also commented that Tank Viciedo does not comprehend hitting instruction because he is a DUMB ASS.  Hacker Tank the Monster!!!

There ya go. The circle is complete..  The biggest bitcher and moaner about WIN NOW is now extolling how great it is to sign 2 guys in their mid 30s...Pretty soon the rants about how young ballplayers suck and the sox need to sign proven veterans will begin...weeks after screaming about not signing stop gap players and going with youth...What exactly are you in favor or???  Maybe we can get Dunn back for you ..he had a better OPS and OBA than Tank as well

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:40 am

Tank Viciedo wrote:I have no problem with this at all.  2 years.  Abreu has feet problems.  Bruce Levine talking up DEFENSE on radio Saturday Morning.  Go out and get Melky and get rid of the albatross TANK!!!!  THE SOX NEED LEFT HANDED BATS.  Melky a switch hitter.  There is a BASEBALL method to Hahn's madness........not some big WIN NOW splash.

There ya go. The circle is complete..  The biggest bitcher and moaner about WIN NOW is now extolling how great it is to sign 2 guys in their mid 30s...Pretty soon the rants about how young ballplayers suck and the sox need to sign proven veterans will begin...weeks after screaming about not signing stop gap players and going with youth...What exactly are you in favor or???  Maybe we can get Dunn back for you ..he had a better OPS and OBA than Tank as well
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:43 am

Chi-kid wrote:

WIN NOW LIVES AGAIN!!

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:50 am

WIN NOW LIVES AGAIN!!

Same shit, different GM and year ... the wheel goes round in circles...
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:26 pm

Chi-kid wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

So how do these intelligent people take into effect the speed of the ball going thru the "zone"?  I can have the range of Ozzie Smith if the ball to my left is hit slow enough for me to get to it, yet the ball can be 2 feet from a fielder and may never have a chance if its a rocket?  Would a guy have a terrible zone rating if people are hitting shots at him all week.

Again, this system has subjectivity to it from the standpoint of the playability of the ball, as balls are categorized as hard-hit or soft from my understanding.

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Again, this system has subjectivity to it from the standpoint of the playability of the ball, as balls are categorized as hard-hit or soft from my understanding

Then if it has that subjectivity, the objectivity of the value certainly takes a nose-dive. I assume the same person isn't watching all 5000 regular season games, so two different guys can see the same ball hit and deem it - hard/playable/like the guy at 1b  and the other guy can see the same ball and say its was softly hit/non-playable and hate the guy , and every combination in between.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Then if it has that subjectivity, the objectivity of the value certainly takes a nose-dive. I assume the same person isn't watching all 5000 regular season games, so two different guys can see the same ball hit and deem it - hard/playable/like the guy at 1b  and the other guy can see the same ball and say its was softly hit/non-playable and hate the guy , and every combination in between.

Since I first read about this system, they've made some changes. John Dewan who runs the charting system has apparently developed a ball velocity measuring system which can tell the MPH a ball is hit.  They train and rotate these charters (who have to have a baseball playing background) to get as much objectivity as possible.  Here is the link
    http://fieldingbible.com/Fielding-Bible-FAQ.asp   that goes into more detail.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:22 am

At Spring training last March ,I was told by Coach Mark Salas that Abreu was wearing baseball shoes that were too small for him and refused to change because of "superstitions".

You're kidding right? Are you saying the end result of an entire White Sox season might hinge upon some fucking idiot refusing to wear a pair of shoes that fit?

I fucking give up.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:41 am

WIN NOW as a concept is fucking stupid.  Sharpy, as someone WHO KNOWS THE GAME and is not a goofy FANBOY, don't you think a left handed bat in the middle of a lineup is necessary?  Who is out there for this dumb ass team to trade for?  Who do they have to trade?  This is simple baseball.  The game is dominated by right handed starting pitchers.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:47 am

sox55 wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

WIN NOW LIVES AGAIN!!
    I am in favor of LEFT HANDED BATS!!!  They are kind of necessary.  WIN NOW is a dumb fuck concept.  Filling a glaring need with a 2 year contract and a guy that can field at 1B as opposes to a guy who should be in a wheelchair is not WIN NOW.  The guy bats lefty.  They can't sign Stargell or McCovey.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:48 am

sox55 wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:

WIN NOW LIVES AGAIN!!
    Howie's party should be rocking!!!!

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 am

Tank Viciedo wrote:WIN NOW as a concept is fucking stupid.  Sharpy, as someone WHO KNOWS THE GAME and is not a goofy FANBOY, don't you think a left handed bat in the middle of a lineup is necessary?  Who is out there for this dumb ass team to trade for?  Who do they have to trade?  This is simple baseball.  The game is dominated by right handed starting pitchers.

Bob, I get having the righty-lefty-righty alternating batters and the need for left handed hitters. But what does paying over $50 million for LaRoche and possibly Cabrera really going do for this team? Make them .500? Make them come in 2nd or even win the coveted Central Division title and get into the playoffs where "anything can happen"? Why spend all that money on stopgaps when it isn't going to really win anything? Why not work on getting a farm system and wait until you fill in with free agents to make the big push, like, I hate to say it, the Cubs are doing? Sure, that means lean years and bad teams. But the team was bad last year and EVEN YOU said they were fun to watch b/c of the youth and the kids.
    Kark brought up trading both Sale and Abreu for top flight prospects, and if the Red Sox were willing to give the Sox Betts, and Bogaerts and another prospect for Abreu, should the Sox do that? Maybe yes....same for Sale - getting 2 top flight prospects to fill holes might be the wise thing to do. Otherwise, this is the same stuff that has been going on for the past 15 yrs with KW...walking in quicksand.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:40 am

Cream1953 wrote:At Spring training last March ,I was told by Coach Mark Salas that Abreu was wearing baseball shoes that were too small for him and refused to change because of "superstitions".

You're kidding right? Are you saying the end result of an entire White Sox season might hinge upon some fucking idiot refusing to wear a pair of shoes that fit?

I fucking give up.

If this were truly the case, wouldn't it have been all over Sportscenter and the like?  If a coach is freely telling John this info, it's not like the Sox are covering it up.  Did it make it to the Chicago media?  If not, it sounds like the coach may have been talking out of his ass.

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:01 pm

The KARK said trade both sale and abreau?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

NOw I remember prior to 14 suggesting trading sale. But I don't recall suggesting trading both.

Not to say I didn't.

I easily could have written it in one of my pissed off at the world moments

Or maybe I was just trying to be too clever for my own good and posted something very poorly written.

Or maybe I took a hit of the LaRoach clip and completely forgot.

So for the record, the poster formerly known as KARK, when he is of sound mind and body, does not currently advocate the trading of either sale or abreau.

Now you people just have to figure out when I am of sound mind and body :-P
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Exactly.  LaRoche and Cabrera are the kind of placeholders that teams who've been contending or on the cusp sign to make sure they have adequacy or close at a couple spots. They don't mind if they overpay because the extra $$$ are worth insuring that no black holes in the lineup keep them out of the playoffs.  Teams that have won 67 and 73 games the last two years should be looking for players that are either transformative and still young (like Abreu and to an extent Eaton were last year) or relatively cheap and young with some upside.  
    If the club may be ready to contend in 2016, it doesn't help then to be constrained from paying up for a true impact player because you have a couple vet payroll albatrosses tying up $ 25 million at two spots (DH and LF) where near-adequacy can be found for much less.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:25 pm

jaywit wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:At Spring training last March ,I was told by Coach Mark Salas that Abreu was wearing baseball shoes that were too small for him and refused to change because of "superstitions".

I fucking give up.

If this were truly the case, wouldn't it have been all over Sportscenter and the like?  If a coach is freely telling John this info, it's not like the Sox are covering it up.  Did it make it to the Chicago media?  If not, it sounds like the coach may have been talking out of his ass.

The Chicago media are MORONS......in......depth reporting is non-existent from this city's sportswriters.......all they want these days are "sound bites"......If Salas was BSing me he did it with a straight face, I'm sure he was telling the truth.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:45 am

sox55 wrote:
    jaywit wrote:

I fucking give up.

The Chicago media are MORONS......in......depth reporting is non-existent from this city's sportswriters.......all they want these days are "sound bites"......If Salas was BSing me he did it with a straight face, I'm sure he was telling the truth.

I have read the same thing- that his shoes are tight but he wears them because he does "well" while doing so.-and actually in the Chicago media-don't recall which paper

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:05 am