Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Sox Sign Adam Laroche

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Sox Sign Adam Laroche

Post by winstonage on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:51 pm

2 years 25 mil. I don't hate it.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Re: Sox Sign Adam Laroche

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:03 pm

winstonage wrote:2 years 25 mil. I don't hate it.

I can't say that I hate it, but I'm not thrilled about it either.  I guess they could do worse.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:07 pm

LaRoche is 35 years old.  It looks like the Sox are in WIN NOW mode whether we like it or not.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:13 pm

The best part of this is that someone reasonable can spell Abreu at first to rest his aching feet.  Maybe this move will improve Abreu's production during the long baseball season and improve the longevity of his career.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:16 pm

jaywit wrote:The best part of this is that someone reasonable can spell Abreu at first to rest his aching feet.  Maybe this move will improve Abreu's production during the long baseball season and improve the longevity of his career.

Only problem is that LaRoche is about as brutal with the glove as Dunn.  He can "spell" Abreu but he won't be doing Sox pitchers any favors.

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Not exactly a "rebuild" move. Seems like the same shit as the past 14 yrs. 

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Not exactly a "rebuild" move. Seems like the same shit as the past 14 yrs. 

As always, it's the Jerry and Kenny show. Sad
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:47 pm

jaywit wrote:The best part of this is that someone reasonable can spell Abreu at first to rest his aching feet.  Maybe this move will improve Abreu's production during the long baseball season and improve the longevity of his career.

Abreu is a future DH in the making.  He's a terrible defensive player.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:15 pm

sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:07 am

rmapasad wrote:

Only problem is that LaRoche is about as brutal with the glove as Dunn.  He can "spell" Abreu but he won't be doing Sox pitchers any favors.

Must be another non-derserving "Gold Glove", eh?

By Cash Kruth / MLB.com | November 21, 2014 
    +
     82 COMMENTS

The White Sox added a veteran power bat to mix with their young sluggers Friday evening, agreeing to a two-year, $25-million contract with first baseman Adam LaRoche, sources have told MLB.com.
    The agreement was first reported by USA Today's Bob Nightengale.

LaRoche, 35, is an 11-year Major League veteran who spent the past four seasons with the Nationals, hitting .259/.362/.455 with 26 home runs and 92 RBIs in 2014.
    LaRoche is a standout defensively, winning the 2012 National League Gold Glove Award. He and 2014 American League Rookie of the Year Jose Abreu likely will split time between first base and designated hitter.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:05 am

Soxillinirob wrote:

Terrible?  Sorry, Rob, I'll have to disagree.  Abreu is no candidate for a gold glove, but he's not bad defensively.  I'd call him average.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:06 am

If Adam's father taught him LaLob, maybe Hahn is onto something. First baseman-reliever.
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:09 am

sox55 wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:

Must be another non-derserving "Gold Glove", eh?

By Cash Kruth / MLB.com | November 21, 2014 
    +
     82 COMMENTS

The White Sox added a veteran power bat to mix with their young sluggers Friday evening, agreeing to a two-year, $25-million contract with first baseman Adam LaRoche, sources have told MLB.com.
    The agreement was first reported by USA Today's Bob Nightengale.

LaRoche, 35, is an 11-year Major League veteran who spent the past four seasons with the Nationals, hitting .259/.362/.455 with 26 home runs and 92 RBIs in 2014.
    LaRoche is a standout defensively, winning the 2012 National League Gold Glove Award. He and 2014 American League Rookie of the Year Jose Abreu likely will split time between first base and designated hitter.

LaRoche's defense has dropped off considerably since that season.  He was above average in 2012, but there wasn't good competition for the 1b NL GG that year.  Rizzo, who is a good 1bman, didn't have enough innings to be considered and Adrian Gonzalez was with Boston then.   In 2013 LaRoche's defense took a turn for the worse and in 2014 it was really bad.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:24 am

The eve of another Adam whiffing away.
    Dunn replaced...
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:31 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:

Terrible?  Sorry, Rob, I'll have to disagree.  Abreu is no candidate for a gold glove, but he's not bad defensively.  I'd call him average.

Visually Abreu looks slow, but he is steady at 1b.  Facts are that he got to 77% of the balls hit into his zone this year (same as Miguel Cabrera).  The "average" 1bman gets to 80% .

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:36 am

rmapasad wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:

Visually Abreu looks slow, but he is steady at 1b.  Facts are that he got to 77% of the balls hit into his zone this year (same as Miguel Cabrera).  The "average" 1bman gets to 80% .

Given that Abreu was playing hurt for much of the year with sore ankles/feet, that's not bad at all.

Compared to the Sox previous first basemen, Jose Abreu can throw much better than Frank Thomas, has much better range than Paul Konerko, and can catch the ball much better than Adam Dunn.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:46 am

I am going based on what my eyes tell me, and his defensive WAR, which was incredibly bad.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:55 am

Soxillinirob wrote:I am going based on what my eyes tell me, and his defensive WAR, which was incredibly bad.

I'm going by what I saw, too.  Abreu seemed to get a little sloppy as the season wore on, but overall I was pleasantly surprised at his defense at 1B.  Jay, makes a good point that LaRoche can help spell him to keep him fresh and take some of the wear and tear off his ankles.
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:58 am

I just see his bat as too important to risk his health by letting him go out there on his sore feet and butcher ground balls. DH him and put someone out there that can play the position.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:03 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:

How many did LaRoche get to. By the way a first baseman that has lost a lot of his range but has soft hands, sounds like Konerko, (albeit, he never had any range), I don't remember Konerko's defense killing them. Comparing LaRoche's defense to Dunn's is silly. Dunn could barely bend over, and had stone hands, reminds me of Dick Stuart.

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Adam laroach remind anybody else o pete lacock

Just wonering

Post by Guest on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Defensive stats for 1B arfe as reliable as biorythyms.

Suzy the psychic can evaluate 1b better than the mumbers nerds
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:55 pm

So why are Abreu's feet sore all the fucking time? Does anybody really know? Is it some kind of ongoing thing? Is it something that can be fixed?
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:25 pm

Cream1953 wrote:So why are Abreu's feet sore all the fucking time? Does anybody really know? Is it some kind of ongoing thing? Is it something that can be fixed?
    At Spring training last March ,I was told by Coach Mark Salas that Abreu was wearing baseball shoes that were too small for him and refused to change because of "superstitions". 

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:40 pm

sox55 wrote:
    Cream1953 wrote:So why are Abreu's feet sore all the fucking time? Does anybody really know? Is it some kind of ongoing thing? Is it something that can be fixed?
    At Spring training last March ,I was told by Coach Mark Salas that Abreu was wearing baseball shoes that were too small for him and refused to change because of "superstitions". 

Oh Great, they have their own version of Pedro Cerrano. What's next, sacrifice a chicken?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:16 pm