Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Laugh of the Day

Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Laugh of the Day

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Cubs interested in NICK SWISHER!!

M.L.B.  Where STIFFS are recycled!!!

WHAT A GREAT GAME!!

FASCINATING!!!

HOW MANY MILLIONS OF DOLLARS CAN ONE STIFF MAKE???

Sit in front of your TV sets all Summer long, FANBOYS!!!!

THIS IS JUST GREAT!!!
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Re: Laugh of the Day

Post by sox55 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Cubs interested in NICK SWISHER!!

WHAT A GREAT GAME!!

FASCINATING!!!

THIS IS JUST GREAT!!!

Probably the "veteran" to show the kids "The way"!
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:Cubs interested in NICK SWISHER!!

WHAT A GREAT GAME!!

FASCINATING!!!

THIS IS JUST GREAT!!!

Is he changing his name to Jamie Navarro?
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:19 pm

sox55 wrote:

Probably the "veteran" to show the kids "The way"!

The way to the dugout, presumably.   Swisher was a K machine this year and it looks like he's finally gone over the cliff - God awful both   offensively and defensively in 2014..  He's still owed another $ 30 million for the next two seasons.   At age 34, there's no real upside here.  
    I can't fathom how Epstein and Hoyer would be jumping up and down at the idea of getting this guy unless the Indians were ready to eat 85%-90% of his salary..
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:07 pm

This asshole Swisher should have less trade value than Beckham had.

In a BASEBALL REAL WORLD, Swisher would be released.

He sucks.

Hit .158 in 8 playoff series with Yankees.

HE SUCKS.

Standing there like a dumb ass at bat for the Sox all those times trying to get the CLUTCH WALK.

Ozzie has caught a lot of shit from the devoted FANBOYS, but he sure saw through this clown.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:59 pm

I remember when the Hawkeroo said the city of Chicago was going to absolutely love him! Now it seems he might get a second shot of love! LOL
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:48 am

Hawk Harrelson wrote:This asshole Swisher should have less trade value than Beckham had. In a BASEBALL REAL WORLD, Swisher would be released.He sucks.Hit .158 in 8 playoff series with Yankees.HE SUCKS.
    Standing there like a dumb ass at bat for the Sox all those times trying to get the CLUTCH WALK.
    Ozzie has caught a lot of shit from the devoted FANBOYS, but he sure saw through this clown.

In total fairness to Swisher, his worst season before this year was when he was with the Sox in '08.  Kenny pawned him off to the Yankees in a bad trade where Sox got nothing in return and Swisher turned out to be a cost effective asset in NY for four years.  Granted, some of his value to the Yankees was dimmed by subpar defense and lousy postseason hitting.  But his offense helped get them to the  playoffs every year he was there ( .268 BA and 850 OPS with Yankees which was very solid).  They decided to let him walk as a free agent at just the right time  - when he was turning 32 and becoming an expensive free agent.  He got a four year  $ 56 million deal with Indians and went into his decline.  After his 608 OPS this year, he would be released if it weren't for the $ 30 million he's still owed.  Like Dunn, that makes him untradeable and probably employed until he gets down to the bitter end in 2016.  Unless the Indians just decide to eat the contract and let him go.
    I think Ozzie's experimentations might have contributed in part to Swisher sucking in 2008. Ozzie had him distracted by having to learn a completely unfamiliar defensive spot in CF which was a total sham and hit him leadoff which made Swisher try even harder to work walks.  Yankees stuck him in back in RF where he was less   
    of a liability and had him hit 5th-6th-7th and sometimes 2nd which suited him much better.
    As it stands today, Swisher definitely sucks.  But that was not true for 8 of his 10 full seasons which were decent. Like Dunn, however, his skills weren't strong enough to hold up once he got past age 32 and the club that paid full freight because of what he did as a 28-31 year old was left holding the bag.  A familiar story.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:23 am

You knew it would happen. Roger defending Nick Swisher. Rolling Eyes
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:42 am

And Roger's analysis just confirms MLB SUCKS.

It just is such a joke now.  Farcical.

Hand guys millions who no longer are worth a shit.

Stick them out there for the chumps to watch!!

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:25 am

And Roger's analysis just confirms MLB SUCKS.

But you blame the players and want a salary cap. It's not their fault. They don't receive a one year deal and then decide which team to go to, they get 3-4-5 yr offers for $12 million a year.. who the fuck wouldn't take that? The players should not be blamed because the owners/GMs are fucking idiots. When Cleveland signed this jackass I'm surprised they didn't hear the laughter from 2 hours away. The problem is, the GMs panic, and then they worry they will be perceived as to "not doing enough" to bring a winner, so they overpay so they can say what they have accomplished. I would bet, that if you went up to the Indians GM when he was signing Swisher, and you said to him, look, you got this guy in AAA that will give you the EXACT same production as Swisher over the next 3 yrs and cost you essentially nothing, and your record will be the same, the decision would STILL be to sign Swisher b/c it will look like he's doing more. And if it doesn't work out, well, its the player's fault for not coming thru, not  mine. I signed him expecting more.  It is farcical. But it is b/c these GMs, who are supposed to be sooooo smart, sign guys like Billy Butler to $30million to try and hit homeruns in a quarry home park, and division parks not much better.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Chi-kid wrote:And Roger's analysis just confirms MLB SUCKS.
    But you blame the players and want a salary cap. It's not their fault. They don't receive a one year deal and then decide which team to go to, they get 3-4-5 yr offers for $12 million a year.. who the fuck wouldn't take that? The players should not be blamed because the owners/GMs are fucking idiots. When Cleveland signed this jackass I'm surprised they didn't hear the laughter from 2 hours away. The problem is, the GMs panic, and then they worry they will be perceived as to "not doing enough" to bring a winner, so they overpay so they can say what they have accomplished. I would bet, that if you went up to the Indians GM when he was signing Swisher, and you said to him, look, you got this guy in AAA that will give you the EXACT same production as Swisher over the next 3 yrs and cost you essentially nothing, and your record will be the same, the decision would STILL be to sign Swisher b/c it will look like he's doing more. And if it doesn't work out, well, its the player's fault for not coming thru, not  mine. I signed him expecting more.  It is farcical. But it is b/c these GMs, who are supposed to be sooooo smart, sign guys like Billy Butler to $30million to try and hit homeruns in a quarry home park, and division parks not much better.

Agree it's not the players' fault, although the MLPA has been instrumental in negotiating the arb/FA structure that leads to these sweetheart deals.  Fucking owners are awash in money from big national TV contracts, local broadcast deals, and corporate sponsorships. There is pressure to sign these guys to stay competitive and they sometimes use signings in promos.  Angels plastered Pujols face all over ads after they inked him to a longterm deal .  Obviously most guys don't become free agents until they are 29 to 32 yrs old.  Of course, it's when guys start to decline and GM's know this - they're not be brain surgeons but they're not morons either.   Most figure a slow, steady falloff - the star will become merely a good player, the decent guy (like Swisher was for NY) will be at least adequate or semi-adequate.  Which is better than handing the job to a Matt LaPorta or Andy Marte type like Cleveland tried a few years ago.  What they do blind themselves to is the possibility of a massive crater job early in the contract like Dunn's 2011 or Swisher's 2014 or Hamilton's 2013 in which ANYBODY with a pulse from AAA would have done the same or better.  Then they are stuck with several years and a lot of $$$ and hoping for a rebound of any kind.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:19 pm

Cream1953 wrote:I remember when the Hawkeroo said the city of Chicago was going to absolutely love him! Now it seems he might get a second shot of love! LOL

Just like his old man, Nick Swisher is taylor made for the Cubs.  He'll bleed Cubbie Blew.
     lol!

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Agree it's not the players' fault, although the MLPA has been instrumental in negotiating the arb/FA structure that leads to these sweetheart deals.  

Two points;
    1. Isn't that the MLPA's JOB?;
    2. This would be like me complaining about a bad settlement because  the damn defense attorney wouldn't pay me more money!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:57 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:Agree it's not the players' fault, although the MLPA has been instrumental in negotiating the arb/FA structure that leads to these sweetheart deals.  

Two points;
    1. Isn't that the MLPA's JOB?;
    2. This would be like me complaining about a bad settlement because  the damn defense attorney wouldn't pay me more money!!

Very Happy  Yeah it is their job.
    Hawk Harrelson
    Andy the Clown

Post by Hawk Harrelson on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:48 pm

I NEVER said it was the Players fault.  I am the guy who defends BORAS.  It clearly is the fault of the owners and their approach.

Veeck wrote about the Stupidity of the Owners in Veeck as in Wreck.

The bottom line is a salary cap would make some of these assholes think about how many years they can offer.

Look, the bottom line is the product is BAD.  Oaf Dunn, Nick Swisher....MULTI YEAR DEALS....GUARANTEED....

Konerko said he was pretty much washed up in 2011.  I am not blaming him for taking the money.  Last season was pretty much a joke for him.  He was done.  Did not play.  When Dunn left and he played he broke his hand.

There are some daft Sox fans who thought the idea of Konerko retiring as a White Sox was somehow important, as well as the dumb ass Farewell Tour that went over like the Titanic.  This nut referred to him as OUR CAPTAIN a few times.  THERE IS NO ROOM FOR SENTIMENTALITY ANYMORE.....IT IS ALL BUSINESS.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:04 am

Hawk Harrelson wrote:I NEVER said it was the Players fault.  I am the guy who defends BORAS.  It clearly is the fault of the owners and their approach.

Veeck wrote about the Stupidity of the Owners in Veeck as in Wreck.

The bottom line is a salary cap would make some of these assholes think about how many years they can offer.

Look, the bottom line is the product is BAD.  Oaf Dunn, Nick Swisher....MULTI YEAR DEALS....GUARANTEED....

Konerko said he was pretty much washed up in 2011.  I am not blaming him for taking the money.  Last season was pretty much a joke for him.  He was done.  Did not play.  When Dunn left and he played he broke his hand.

There are some daft Sox fans who thought the idea of Konerko retiring as a White Sox was somehow important, as well as the dumb ass Farewell Tour that went over like the Titanic.  This nut referred to him as OUR CAPTAIN a few times.  THERE IS NO ROOM FOR SENTIMENTALITY ANYMORE.....IT IS ALL BUSINESS.

I can't see Theo and Jed allowing this goof to poison a young club house. From a baseball standpoint. only for Edwin Jackson straight up, would this make any sense.
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:26 pm

<< I can't see Theo and Jed allowing this goof to poison a young club house. From a baseball standpoint. only for Edwin Jackson straight up, would this make any sense.  >>

Not sure who you are referring to here ? Swisher ?  If so, it's not the clubhouse "poisoning" that would be at issue. In fact, Swisher is supposed to be good in that regard.   The Cubs have zero use for him even if they'd unload Jackson's contract in exchange.   Cubs have an excellent 1bman in Rizzo and Swisher can't play RF anymore.. Only teams that would have any use for Swish would be AL teams where he could be used at DH, and then only if either the Indians eat a huge % of the remaining $ 30 mil left on it or if some club would exchange a guy on an equally bad deal. 

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Hawk Harrelson wrote:

Yeah, Bobby, I remember your big fuss about your hero Paulie's day.  Have you dried your tears yet?
    lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:43 pm