Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Chris Sale - Overall #13 Sox DP

Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Chris Sale - Overall #13 Sox DP

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:16 pm

LHP MIGHT be the bargain of the draft, but the video I saw, I was not overly impressed. Throws from the side. Hope he can stay healthy.

The reason he might be a bargain is that I saw him rated to go in the top ten a few times in mocks.

But guys like 3B Zack Cox were passed over, too, and still there at pick

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8080130&content_id=7243409
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: Chris Sale - Overall #13 Sox DP

Post by alohafri on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Here is the important question...is he a "power arm"?
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:58 pm

alohafri wrote:Here is the important question...is he a "power arm"?

Bum suggests a possible closer. If so, so bet it, but I hate to see a #1 pick wasted on a prospective closer. Time will tell. Josh Sale - a 3B-OF - was out there also.
    jaywit
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by jaywit on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:45 pm

Side-arm pitchers always make me nervous. Makes me wonder if sometime in there development they had to resort to a "gimmick" because their natural overhand delivery wasn't getting enough guys out. Surprised the Sox took him at number one. Not many side-arm hurlers have great careers. Can you name any side arm pitchers that had great careers? Quisenberry and Tekulve come to mind as having some decent years but they're far and few between. And I share Nomads concern about drafting a closer with number one pick. That had better be a helluva closer.
    Nomads44
    Roof Shot

Post by Nomads44 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:03 pm

jaywit wrote:Side-arm pitchers always make me nervous. Makes me wonder if sometime in there development they had to resort to a "gimmick" because their natural overhand delivery wasn't getting enough guys out. Surprised the Sox took him at number one. Not many side-arm hurlers have great careers. Can you name any side arm pitchers that had great careers? Quisenberry and Tekulve come to mind as having some decent years but they're far and few between. And I share Nomads concern about drafting a closer with number one pick. That had better be a helluva closer.

Yeah, didn't Royce Ring turn out well.

Other sidearmers I can recall, although maybe more like underarmers.... Ted Abernathy, Champaign Illinois' Dick Hyde back in the 60's with the old Senators.

Concerning your concern, Jay, yeah, I think I read that when he dropped to sidearm, everything improved. All of a sudden he was getting guys out and throwing harder. So is something structurally wrong? Is this just a fluke? Whenever I threw sidearm, (it was usually a mistake), but it seems it ended up more sore than from coming over the top.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:44 pm