Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Nick Markakis....

sox55
    Roof Shot

Nick Markakis....

Post by sox55 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:23 pm

....Will be non-tendered as the O's won't pick up their club option of about 17M.

With all the $$ JR is saving from this years' team, here is a LH LEADOFF man who is a very good OF with a strong throwing arm and would enable the Sox to move Eaton into the 2hole which is what he prefers. 
    He is north of 30yrs old but I would think a 3 yr deal would be good for the Sox. I know he is a right fielder, but if he can play RF he can easily play LF.
    Besides, he's a brother!Very Happy
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Re: Nick Markakis....

Post by alohafri on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:32 pm

sox55 wrote:....Will be non-tendered as the O's won't pick up their club option of about 17M.

With all the $$ JR is saving from this years' team, here is a LH LEADOFF man who is a very good OF with a strong throwing arm and would enable the Sox to move Eaton into the 2hole which is what he prefers. 
    He is north of 30yrs old but I would think a 3 yr deal would be good for the Sox. I know he is a right fielder, but if he can play RF he can easily play LF.

If the cost is right. Taking out 2012 when he must have been hurt, his statistics have been in a steady decline. If you wind up being the only interested party, like with the Oaf...

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:55 pm

sox55 wrote:....Will be non-tendered as the O's won't pick up their club option of about 17M.

A brother? I thought he was Greek!
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:17 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:

As I am. Very Happy

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:54 pm

sox55 wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:

As I am. Very Happy
    I know
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:13 pm

And NOW AVAILABLE:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-markakis-rep-to-meet-with-other-clubs-for-first-time-20141110-story.html
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:09 pm

He does not cost a draft pick.  What the Hell!!  I do not know about 3 years, though.
    sox55
    Roof Shot

Post by sox55 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:36 pm

Signed for 4 yrs at  44M by Atlanta.
    In this day and age, the contract seems fair to me.
    The Sox missed out on this one ,IMO.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:26 pm

They tendered a contract to the great Tank Viciedo and signed Lyndon LaRouche.  There was no room for Markakis and if they planned on tendering Tankster, Markakis was NEVER in the Sox plans.
    It is a numbers game.  Markakis has no position or lineup spot with the Sox.  His name has NEVER surfaced here in the press as a guy either club wanted.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:49 pm

What I have read on him is he is in his decline years.  4 years way too long.  Learn anything from Oaf?

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Tank Viciedo wrote:What I have read on him is he is in his decline years.  4 years way too long.  Learn anything from Oaf?

Unless they have no confidence that Courtney Hawkins is going to develop, it makes no sense to go long term with an outfielder. If they are intent on playing Viciedo, go get a cheap platoon bat on  1 or 2 year deal.
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:42 am

Markakis happens to be from Atlanta.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 am

Tank Viciedo wrote:Markakis happens to be from Atlanta.

Hometown discount! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
    Shooters Buffet
    Roof Shot

Post by Shooters Buffet on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:53 am

40 Year Old Torii Hunter back in Minneapolis for a FAREWELL TOUR!!!!!
    rmapasad
    Roof Shot

Post by rmapasad on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:17 am

winstonage wrote:
    Tank Viciedo wrote:What I have read on him is he is in his decline years.  4 years way too long.  Learn anything from Oaf?
    Unless they have no confidence that Courtney Hawkins is going to develop, it makes no sense to go long term with an outfielder. If they are intent on playing Viciedo, go get a cheap platoon bat on  1 or 2 year deal.

Really don't know when or even if Hawkins can be penciled into a future Sox OF.  Like a lot of Sox prospects, he was rushed and had to repeat high A.  He showed some plate discipline progress this year, but he still has a big strikeout problem which obviously contributed to his .249 BA.  He has some pop but like so many of Kenny's draftees, Hawkins is that perennial dual sport (baseball-football) types with "athleticism" but unrefined skills.   While there is time for Hawkins to develop, he really doesn't look like he'd be much of a factor until 2017 or more likely 2018 at this point.  Considering that studs like Corey Seager, Michael Wacha, Lucas Gioloto, and Marcus Stroman were taken after Hawkins in that 2012 draft, this just looks like another one of those first-round missed opportunities under the Kenny regime.
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am

Tank Viciedo wrote:40 Year Old Torii Hunter back in Minneapolis for a FAREWELL TOUR!!!!!

Another hometown discount! It lives! Get Samardziazxxsoynoiuyl for $10 million a year plus Notre Dame tickets! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:30 am

winstonage wrote:

Andy Dirks...

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:22 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    winstonage wrote:

Andy Dirks...

Do you mean Andy Dick?  Razz

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 am

Chi-kid wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    winstonage wrote:

Andy Dirks...

Do you mean Andy Dick?  Razz

Andy Dick?  He might not be physically able.  He had a run in with LA cops last month.  Is he still alive?

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:33 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    winstonage wrote:

Really don't know when or even if Hawkins can be penciled into a future Sox OF.  Like a lot of Sox prospects, he was rushed and had to repeat high A.  He showed some plate discipline progress this year, but he still has a big strikeout problem which obviously contributed to his .249 BA.  He has some pop but like so many of Kenny's draftees, Hawkins is that perennial dual sport (baseball-football) types with "athleticism" but unrefined skills.   While there is time for Hawkins to develop, he really doesn't look like he'd be much of a factor until 2017 or more likely 2018 at this point.  Considering that studs like Corey Seager, Michael Wacha, Lucas Gioloto, and Marcus Stroman were taken after Hawkins in that 2012 draft, this just looks like another one of those first-round missed opportunities under the Kenny regime.

This is why I made the smart ass comment a week or 3 ago about who do the Sox have that is better than Jared Mitchell.

Do the Sox have anybody in the minors that will be pushing for an OF in the next 2 years?!??!?!?

And who do they have at the MLB level?

Eaton who turned 26 yesterday and has yet to play a full year.  OK maybe his a late bloomer.  But there is no guarentee is nothing more than just a very good #4

Advil Garcia?  He will never be as god as Maggs, and I wonder if he will ever be as good as CLee

The Tank??!?!?!?!?  How was he tendered?!?!!?!?!?  How bad do you have to suck to have an OPS under 700 while hitting 20 plus HR?!?!!?!??!?!

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:58 am

It's a good thing that the Sox didn't get Nick Markakis.  The Braves signed him for $44 million for 4 years.  Earlier this week, he went for some type of fusion surgery in his neck.

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Is that called "due negligence" on the part of the Braves?

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Chi-kid wrote:Is that called "due negligence" on the part of the Braves?

Maybe the Braves should put up a sign in their front office reading, "Beware of Greeks bearing stiff necks." affraid
    Father of Satan
    Disco Demolition Expert

Post by Father of Satan on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:01 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:Is that called "due negligence" on the part of the Braves?

Maybe the Braves should put up a sign in their front office reading, "Beware of Greeks bearing stiff necks." affraid

Maybe I got involved.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:51 am