Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Abreu is hot

Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Abreu is hot

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:23 pm

Have noticed Abreu's average climbing steadily and now he's 3 fer 3 today with an average of .305 right now.  I was on vacation for about 2 weeks and haven't been able to watch them this week and am just wondering what's behind the climb in average.  Is he getting any better at holding off on chasing the low and away crap that was constantly resulting in strikeouts?  I always wonder why pitchers don't just keep throwing that, assuming they are ahead in the count.  Is he just refusing to let pitchers get ahead? 

Sure as hell never heard the guy touted to be this good.  Was figuring for .265 and 25 HRs going into the season.  This season he's having is outrageous.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Re: Abreu is hot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:05 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:Have noticed Abreu's average climbing steadily and now he's 3 fer 3 today with an average of .305 right now.  I was on vacation for about 2 weeks and haven't been able to watch them this week and am just wondering what's behind the climb in average.  Is he getting any better at holding off on chasing the low and away crap that was constantly resulting in strikeouts?  I always wonder why pitchers don't just keep throwing that, assuming they are ahead in the count.  Is he just refusing to let pitchers get ahead? 

Sure as hell never heard the guy touted to be this good.  Was figuring for .265 and 25 HRs going into the season.  This season he's having is outrageous.
    Since u were gone probably didn't see my remark (then at 35 out of
    36) now has hit safely in 38 out of last 39 games. The one he didn't -while on 18 game streak- was when Ventura put a pinch runner for him with 2 outs in 9th of a tie game. Leury Garcia had TWO at bats in extra innings of game sox lost.
    Who knows what could have happened if he had been allowed 2 more at bats
    Soxillinirob
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Soxillinirob on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:11 pm

frank bonifacic wrote:
    Soxillinirob wrote:Have noticed Abreu's average climbing steadily and now he's 3 fer 3 today with an average of .305 right now.  I was on vacation for about 2 weeks and haven't been able to watch them this week and am just wondering what's behind the climb in average.  Is he getting any better at holding off on chasing the low and away crap that was constantly resulting in strikeouts?  I always wonder why pitchers don't just keep throwing that, assuming they are ahead in the count.  Is he just refusing to let pitchers get ahead? 

36) now has hit safely in 38 out of last 39 games. The one he didn't -while on 18 game streak- was when Ventura put a pinch runner for him with 2 outs in 9th of a tie game. Leury Garcia had TWO at bats in extra innings of game sox lost.

Yes, I saw that.  That's a tough spot for the manager.  At the time, the move makes sense to pull Abreu for a fast guy with nobody out. But in hindsight, it looks pretty awful.

frank bonifacic
    Roof Shot

Post by frank bonifacic on Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:16 pm

Soxillinirob wrote:
    frank bonifacic wrote:

Yes, I saw that.  That's a tough spot for the manager.  At the time, the move makes sense to pull Abreu for a fast guy with nobody out. But in hindsight, it looks pretty awful.
    There were TWO OUTS!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:28 am