Nomadsfest Sox Fans

A forum for the old AOL board Sox fans and others.

Jared Mitchell has dropped out of the top 20

Re: Jared Mitchell has dropped out of the top 20

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:09 pm

Take it one position at a time, but do something to try to improve rather than be content to go with the same old crap.

Assume they sign one major free agent a year ...is it possible for them to sign 2 expensive free agents?  sure, but doubt it ..so one major positional free agent per year, (and maybe bullpen help??) and as Winstonage said, no minor league adequate replacement for 3 yrs ..so 2015? gone...16...gone but better with 5 positions filled....17....close, competitive with FA and minor leaguers, but not enough ...18, 19?? in the mix with FA and more experience for the minor leaguers ..this assumes nobody blows an elbow, nobody is traded, and nobody is a bust ...lots of assumptions. And a big concern of mine, is that by the time the rest of the team becomes decent, Alexei becomes OLD...and if you don't have a good SS, you don't have a good team, so we better hope Tim Anderson can do the job at the major league level ...never a given.

So unless the Sox REALLY spend ...I'm sticking with my 2019 prediction (and I hope I am underestimating Hahn)  as the first year BRB tells us all that the Sox are a good team and that it is OK for us to like them again ..... b/c they aren't until the retired lawyer sings ..
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:55 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:What is it , Bobby?  Do you get so much joy constantly bitching like an old hag that you want the Sox to go super slow so you can bitch on for eternity?

The Sox are not your Cubs.  It doesn't take 100+ years to rebuild.

YOU ARE IN THE SAME DREAMLAND AS THE HEAD CHEERLEADER!!!

How do you rebuild when you have no young talent???

TAYLOR???

IT IS NOT 1948.

You are the guy who thinks Reinsdorf INTENTIONALLY screws the ALL IMPORTANT DOOFUS FAN!!!

Reinsdorf runs it like a BUSINESS.

THE CUBS THE CUBS THE CUBS THE CUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the hapless defensive White Sox Fan, there always are THE CUBS!!!

Last edited by Jack Brickhouse on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:07 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Chi-kid wrote:It doesn't take 100+ years to rebuild.

Does take about 5 tho ....when you're starting from scratch

It might take that long, especially if the GM takes the attitude of "Hey, I filled the holes at 1B and CF during the winter, and now I'll just sit on my ass all summer and let the holes in LF, RF, 2B, C, and DH fester away with stiffs"...

Take it one position at a time, but do something to try to improve rather than be content to go with the same old crap all season.
    Whatever you say!!!

GET A CLUE.

These guys are making millions of dollars.  Get it!!!  Do you see the big picture here?  Is that possible for a FANBOY?

Are they just going to RELEASE Beckham, Viciedo, Dunn and DeAza because other teams don't want Kenny Williams' toxic waste in trades?

Does the goofy Chicago Fan still believe trades are to dump Chicago Stiffs on unsuspecting teams where the GMs and scouts are idiots?

I am sure you will have some well though out comeback about the Cubs.

The White Sox are NOT the Cubs!!!

jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor 
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:11 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:What is it , Bobby?  Do you get so much joy constantly bitching like an old hag that you want the Sox to go super slow so you can bitch on for eternity?

The Sox are not your Cubs.  It doesn't take 100+ years to rebuild.
    Do you own a mirror?

LMAO!!
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:28 am

Chi-kid wrote:Take it one position at a time, but do something to try to improve rather than be content to go with the same old crap.

Assume they sign one major free agent a year ...is it possible for them to sign 2 expensive free agents?  sure, but doubt it ..so one major positional free agent per year, (and maybe bullpen help??) and as Winstonage said, no minor league adequate replacement for 3 yrs ..so 2015? gone...16...gone but better with 5 positions filled....17....close, competitive with FA and minor leaguers, but not enough ...18, 19?? in the mix with FA and more experience for the minor leaguers ..this assumes nobody blows an elbow, nobody is traded, and nobody is a bust ...lots of assumptions. And a big concern of mine, is that by the time the rest of the team becomes decent, Alexei becomes OLD...and if you don't have a good SS, you don't have a good team, so we better hope Tim Anderson can do the job at the major league level ...never a given.

So unless the Sox REALLY spend ...I'm sticking with my 2019 prediction (and I hope I am underestimating Hahn)  as the first year BRB tells us all that the Sox are a good team and that it is OK for us to like them again ..... b/c they aren't until the retired lawyer sings ..
    Stop making sense.  

Anyway, people can LIKE the losers all they want.
    They can buy even more season tickets assuming everybody thinks like a 60 year old man and people in their 30s will be charging to The Cell.

I have watched how Reinsdorf operates for over 3 decades.

I watched how Williams destroyed the Farm System.

I can pull out a media guide and look at the #1 draft picks that were an absolute farce and see on the internet who was taken by other clubs later.  Like Mitchell and Mike Trout.

I saw a team that lost 99 games last season and read dipshit unrealistic nonsense here about rebuild on the fly.

I can take a look at the ages of "THE HELP ON THE WAY" from Charlotte!!

I can also find article after article saying any help from the farm system is 2 years away at best.

So YOU would be correct.  Reinsdorf is going to have to spend and SPEND A LOT for a quick contender.

As far as when people decide to "like" this team, the FACT that this team ranks in the bottom 5 of paid attendance and local TV viewership locally can not all be blamed on me.  I am not out on the streets telling people not to go or not to watch.  At least I vocalize my displeasure here.  The TRUTH is the vast majority of people here do not CARE about this team.
    Loon Fanboys talk up the 50s and 60s!
    The great resurgence right around the bend!!!!
    Bring back Brickhouse and the Great South Side from their graves!!!!

Until the Sox are good again, we can always marvel at Gordon's defense.
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:49 am

Anybody who wants to blame Hahn or assumes he will be a miracle worker or assumes it is simple to turn around a 99 loss team in this day and age with these contracts is a flat out lunatic.  A lunatic or somebody who pays selective attention.

Exactly HOW MANY PLAYERS have the White Sox brought up from AAA over the last 10 years who have made a difference?  How many guys came up?

The great DeAza is one!!!  And he is a Dodgers signee and came up to the Sox at the age of 26 after 10 season in professional baseball.

Did anybody bother to notice the Red Sox fire sales in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

Did anybody notice the Red Sox have players other teams WANT in trades????

If it takes the Sox 5 years to DO THIS RIGHT, so be it.  Hahn wants a consistently GOOD TEAM.  I guess CHEERLEADERS have a problem with that.  The Sox OWE them something!!!!  They are important FANS!!!!!  GET A GRIP.  What kind of nutcase assumes a team as BAD as this one has been can just wave a magic wand and all will be better?
    alohafri
    Pope Malort I

Post by alohafri on Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:54 am

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    All right, we'll make it the Tyler Flowers rule instead..  Or the Jordan Danks rule.

Don't know about the rest of you but I can't wait until the September call-ups and watch Jordan Danks flail away again and then read some doofus apologist on Facebook saying he just doesn't get enough at bats.

Jordan Danks has had his chances.  The jury is in on him.  He stinks!

(Two Danks are not better than one -- or none.)

I'm still not sure that Danks really had his chances. I agree he is a AAAA player, based on my other post, but a start here, a late inning replacement there doesn't equate to giving him his chances in my opinion. Giving him starts over Alejandro DeAza would be giving someone their chances.
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:50 am

The guy here who wants half the Sox team released so he can watch a bunch of Stiffs from Charlotte or Birmingham is the same guy who accused Ventura of throwing a game because he ran out of pitchers and railed against Jeter being grooved a pitch in the All Star game.  The great defender of the integrity of the game.

There are two months left in the season and the integrity of the game means the White Sox do not play minor leaguers.  They play all kinds of contending teams.

The White Sox are not tanking.  They are not playing "young talent" to see what they "can do" and become a doormat for contenders.  It doesn't work that way.

REBUILDING does not start in August when the races begin.  Something called integrity.  Fans can always go to Charlotte to watch Taylor and Jordan Danks and ALL THAT TALENT!!!!!!
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:33 am

alohafri wrote:
    I'm still not sure that Danks really had his chances. I agree he is a AAAA player, based on my other post, but a start here, a late inning replacement there doesn't equate to giving him his chances in my opinion. Giving him starts over Alejandro DeAza would be giving someone their chances.

His playing time was real limited this year, but he had a decent # of AB's last year in August and September and hit .231.  But he's had a ton of chances in Charlotte (1900 ab's) and hit an overall .269.  Deduct 20-50 pts from that and that's what guys usually do in the majors. 

The way DeAza has gone this year, Danks probably wouldn't be much of a downgrade.  But he wouldn't be an upgrade either.   That's the merry-go-round the Sox are on. As tired and disgusted as fans may be with the DeAzas, Flowers, Viciedos, Dunns, Beckhams, etc., the only real changes that Jordan Danks, Michael Taylor, Andy Wilkins, Josh Phegley, or Carlos Sanchez  are going to bring is a different name on the uniform.
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:45 am

I'm still not sure that Danks really had his chances.

************************************************************************************

Oy
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:45 am

There are two months left in the season and the integrity of the game means the White Sox do not play minor leaguers.  They play all kinds of contending teams.
    The White Sox are not tanking.  They are not playing "young talent" to see what they "can do" and become a doormat for contenders.  It doesn't work that way.
    REBUILDING does not start in August when the races begin.  Something called integrity.  Fans can always go to Charlotte to watch Taylor and Jordan Danks and ALL THAT TALENT!!!!!!

When rosters expand in September, non-contenders will still play their top guys but do start sitting their marginal regulars.  Of course in the Sox's case, about 2/3 of their regulars are marginal.
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:59 am

It also does not take much effort to look at the roster of the magnificent Charlotte Knights and see how old their players are!

The great Taylor turns 30 in December 2015!!!
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:13 am

Has the great Phegley learned how to play DEFENSIVELY????

That was his problem last year.

He was a BAD catcher.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:22 am

rmapasad wrote:
    alohafri wrote:

His playing time was real limited this year, but he had a decent # of AB's last year in August and September and hit .231.  But he's had a ton of chances in Charlotte (1900 ab's) and hit an overall .269.  Deduct 20-50 pts from that and that's what guys usually do in the majors. 

The way DeAza has gone this year, Danks probably wouldn't be much of a downgrade.  But he wouldn't be an upgrade either.   That's the merry-go-round the Sox are on. As tired and disgusted as fans may be with the DeAzas, Flowers, Viciedos, Dunns, Beckhams, etc., the only real changes that Jordan Danks, Michael Taylor, Andy Wilkins, Josh Phegley, or Carlos Sanchez  are going to bring is a different name on the uniform.

That's probably true, Roger, but I'd like to see some players who I haven't seen before instead of the same old stiffs being rolled out game after game.  It would be more entertaining and more interesting to see some new faces.  I'll have to admit, though, that when Dunn or Beckham or De Aza come up to bat, it's a great time for a bathroom break or to head to the frig for a bite to eat.  I hate it when Ventura bats Beckham in front of Abreu (like last night) because it kind of forces me to watch Beckham because if I walk away, I might miss Abreu's at-bat which I don't want to do. No
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:31 am

Go to Charlotte or Birmingham.

I highly doubt if they are bringing up a lot of A ball players in September.

Meanwhile, the INTEGRITY of the races are on the line.

Nobody is FORCING anybody to watch ANY of this nonsense.

Talk about a whining old lady!!!

Somebody is holding a gun to my head to watch the White Sox!!!

affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  Sleep  Sleep  Sleep  Sleep  Sleep  Sleep  Sleep  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  bom  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  jocolor  geek  geek  geek  geek  geek  geek  geek  geek  geek  geek  geek 
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Wilkins is 25, and until this June he didn't look like much of a prospect.  Then he caught fire. It's not impossible that a guy like him, who has power, could be a late developer like Joey Bautista.  But Wilkins having only 20 walks in over 400 PA's is not encouraging stuff.   If a guy hasn't learned decent plate discipline by his mid-20's he's not likely to develop it, and that will be exploited by big league pitchers.  
    Same concern about Avisail Garcia.  His hacking ways were probably why Detroit felt he was expendable.  But Garcia has talent, a quick bat and his power might develop too.  He's only 23.
    He is definitely worth watching and giving plenty of time to mature.   But mature he must in order to have a better career than Viciedo.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:42 pm

alohafri wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    jaywit wrote:
    rmapasad wrote:
    All right, we'll make it the Tyler Flowers rule instead..  Or the Jordan Danks rule.

Don't know about the rest of you but I can't wait until the September call-ups and watch Jordan Danks flail away again and then read some doofus apologist on Facebook saying he just doesn't get enough at bats.

Jordan Danks has had his chances.  The jury is in on him.  He stinks!

(Two Danks are not better than one -- or none.)

Kevin, whether the Sox want to or not, they just have to continue to play the same old crappy stiffs instead of giving minor leaguers a chance because the integrity of the game is involved, or so I'm told.  You wouldn't want to possibly fuck up another team's chances for a wild card berth by replacing Dunn or Beckham or De Aza or Flowers or Viciedo in the lineup with a guy who might be a Charlotte Charlatan.  Hell, the earth may come off it's axis and fly into the sun!

affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:06 pm

rmapasad wrote:Wilkins is 25, and until this June he didn't look like much of a prospect.  Then he caught fire. It's not impossible that a guy like him, who has power, could be a late developer like Joey Bautista.  But Wilkins having only 20 walks in over 400 PA's is not encouraging stuff.   If a guy hasn't learned decent plate discipline by his mid-20's he's not likely to develop it, and that will be exploited by big league pitchers.  
    Same concern about Avisail Garcia.  His hacking ways were probably why Detroit felt he was expendable.  But Garcia has talent, a quick bat and his power might develop too.  He's only 23.
    He is definitely worth watching and giving plenty of time to mature.   But mature he must in order to have a better career than Viciedo.

Ah, Roger, we can forget about Andy Wilkins, at least for this season.  The integrity of the game is on the line, or so I'm told, if this possible stiff from AAA Charlotte takes at-bats away from well-known stiff Adam Dunn.  This could effect the pennant race for other teams.  What if Wilkins were to hit a meaningful late-inning homer and not one of those where the game was already decided, ala Oaf?  And if that happened against a contender, it could possibly knock them out of the race.  Heaven forbid!  The whole game of baseball may self-destruct! affraid
    rmapasad
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by rmapasad on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:10 pm

MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Ah, Roger, we can forget about Andy Wilkins, at least for this season.  The integrity of the game is on the line, or so I'm told, if this possible stiff takes at-bats away from well-known stiff Adam Dunn.  This could effect the pennant race for other teams.  What if Wilkins were to hit a meaningful late-inning homer and not one of those where the game was already decided, ala Oaf?  And if that happened against a contender, that could possibly knock them out of the race.  Heaven forbid!  The whole game of baseball may self-destruct! affraid

There is some sort of unwritten rule that a non-contender shouldn't make itself into a complete patsy in late season games against contending teams.   But that is usually only extends to the idea of sitting out their better performing players.   Sox will undoubtedly keep Abreu getting his regular AB's, as well as Eaton, Gillaspie and Ramirez.   But sitting out Beckham, Viciedo, DeAza, Flowers or Dunn shouldn't be considered crippling oneself.  Still, Ventura may play his "regular crew" against some contenders.

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:50 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:
    Ah, Roger, we can forget about Andy Wilkins, at least for this season.  The integrity of the game is on the line, or so I'm told, if this possible stiff takes at-bats away from well-known stiff Adam Dunn.  This could effect the pennant race for other teams.  What if Wilkins were to hit a meaningful late-inning homer and not one of those where the game was already decided, ala Oaf?  And if that happened against a contender, that could possibly knock them out of the race.  Heaven forbid!  The whole game of baseball may self-destruct! affraid

There is some sort of unwritten rule that a non-contender shouldn't make itself into a complete patsy in late season games against contending teams.   But that is usually only extends to the idea of sitting out their better performing players.   Sox will undoubtedly keep Abreu getting his regular AB's, as well as Eaton, Gillaspie and Ramirez.   But sitting out Beckham, Viciedo, DeAza, Flowers or Dunn shouldn't be considered crippling oneself.  Still, Ventura may play his "regular crew" against some contenders.

We will see the kids come up, with the exception of M. Johnson, Semien, and Sanchez, when Hahn's draft picks start progressing through the system. The only Kenny pick that has a chance is Courtney Hawkins, and he still needs to to improve every year to have a shot. Rodon, Tim Anderson, Tyler Danish, Jacob May, Brett Austin, and the pitchers drafted this year are Hahn guys. These are the one's I keep an eye on, not the shit in Birmingham or Charlotte.

MGJOHNSON
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by MGJOHNSON on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:55 pm

rmapasad wrote:
    MGJOHNSON wrote:

And of course no one has been talking about benching Abreu.  I've been posting all along about giving some of the at-bats of the veteran STIFFS to unproven players.  Nothing to lose there.  Even the suddenly dredged up "integrity of the race" isn't in danger.  It's totally idiotic that anyone could be so poorly deficient in reading comprehension to misunderstand that it's anything other than all about getting the STIFFS out of the lineup!  Unless, of course, that person enjoys having the STIFFS play because it gives him more to moan, groan, and bitch about like some old hag. Smile

Last edited by MGJOHNSON on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Children! CHILDREN!!! You ALL need to settle down and start acting like responsible adults. Interact respectfully and be courteous to one another. No need for all of this bickering, profanity, name calling and acrimony. It accomplishes nothing and only creates tension and unpleasantness on the board. There's no reason why you can't disagree with one another with dignity and benevolence.

Kinda like how I do with Kark.  Twisted Evil

winstonage
    Andy the Clown

Post by winstonage on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:42 pm

Cream1953 wrote:Children! CHILDREN!!! You ALL need to settle down and start acting like responsible adults. Interact respectfully and be courteous to one another. No need for all of this bickering, profanity, name calling and acrimony. It accomplishes nothing and only creates tension and unpleasantness on the board. There's no reason why you can't disagree with one another with dignity and benevolence.

Kinda like how I do with Kark.  Twisted Evil

lol are you and Kark going to rent a room?
    Cream1953
    Chairman Reinsdorf

Post by Cream1953 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:06 pm

lol are you and Kark going to rent a room?

********************************************************************************

The Truefan side of him would prolly like to!!  affraid 
    Jack Brickhouse
    Andy the Clown

Post by Jack Brickhouse on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:56 am

Who do you replace the STIFFS with??

WHO ARE THE REPLACEMENTS???

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 am